Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Loose Ifer posted:

Well PvP also uses telegraphs, so i don't understand what that means.

It doesn't really. Like, there are telegraphs, but it's nowhere near comparable to PVE telegraphs which are much more predictable and take a lot longer to actually deal damage.

In PVP you're mainly looking at positioning and trying to attack the right guys without being focused by too many of the wrong guys, pretty much the exact opposite from staring at the ground and not standing in the red zones.

e: Like, in PVP, if it displayed a telegraph every time an esper or spellslinger did their gigantic line AoE spammable nuke you wouldnt even be able to see the floor. You have to look for the animations, and most telegraphs seem to be reserved for AoE heals or similar abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
For those interested, the Spellslinger page is up now with the associated Devspeak video.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/classes/spellslinger.php

Looks like the Spellslinger healer relies more heavily on aimed heals with just a few targeted abilities of "Oh poo poo" moments.

bibliophile
Feb 9, 2008

I don't know if anyone else caught it, but shortly after the spellslingers drop happened, the main classes page had the following snippet "Wildstar Whup-rear end! Now available in six deliciously vicious flavors - Warrior, Esper, Stalker, Spellslinger, Surgeon, and Mechanic!" (Spoilered for anyone who has managed to avoid the rumors or who is just way into surprises).

Shortly after, it was changed to what it is now, with the last two censored. I know it's just a confirmation of all the rumors we've heard over the past few months, but I still thought it was funny that they done hosed up. They sure aren't doing the best job of keeping these things under wraps.

(I still love you, though, Wildstar folks :ohdear:)

Edit: I wish I had gotten a screenshot, but I'm at work and by the time I thought about it, it was already too late :(

bibliophile fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 20, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I wonder if Mechanic will get to do stuff like drop turrets on the battlefield in the middle of a fight

Spoilered for discussion of the classes bibliophile spoilered

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Magres posted:

I wonder if Mechanic will get to do stuff like drop turrets on the battlefield in the middle of a fight

Spoilered for discussion of the classes bibliophile spoilered

http://pastebin.com/0zf3pqX8 :ssh:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I adore you

OH MY SWEET gently caress THAT FIRST SKILL I'M PLAYING A ENGINEER

Wait do Engineers just clomp around in big stompy robots all the time? :swoon:

I love playing Tanks, this is truly the class for me. Also, the fact that they have both WoW taunts and FFXIV taunts is really nice. I think they do, at least, since they have a Taunt effect, which sounds like WoW taunt where it forces something to attack you for a few seconds, and they also have skills that bump your threat up to being equal to the top threat on the table, which is FFXIV taunt. FFXIV taunt let's you do some cool tank passing stuff, I'd love to see a boss where numerous tanks have to juggle the boss while dodging AOEs. I just hope tanks have to dodge AOEs, in FFXIV the main tank basically never has to dodge any AOEs and it's kinda boring.

Is there any word on if Taunts will do anything in PvP? I'd love to see them do Taunts kinda the way they do blind and stuff - something like if you get Taunted, your screen gets plastered in red except for the taunt target, and you stop being able to see anything but the thing that taunted you. You can choose to either wail on them and eat the full duration of the taunt (but dealing damage) or stop attacking for half/quarter duration. Mechanically I'm thinking like "X second duration taunt, +Y seconds per attack to a max of Z bonus seconds" so a nominally 8s taunt would last 2-4 seconds, and the other 4-6 seconds would get tacked on if you attack the person who taunted you. Basically by attacking you're embracing the bloodrage they have instilled you with, making it more effective.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 20, 2013

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

bibliophile posted:

I don't know if anyone else caught it, but shortly after the spellslingers drop happened, the main classes page had the following snippet "Wildstar Whup-rear end! Now available in six deliciously vicious flavors - Warrior, Esper, Stalker, Spellslinger, Surgeon, and Mechanic!" (Spoilered for anyone who has managed to avoid the rumors or who is just way into surprises).

Shortly after, it was changed to what it is now, with the last two censored. I know it's just a confirmation of all the rumors we've heard over the past few months, but I still thought it was funny that they done hosed up. They sure aren't doing the best job of keeping these things under wraps.

(I still love you, though, Wildstar folks :ohdear:)

Edit: I wish I had gotten a screenshot, but I'm at work and by the time I thought about it, it was already too late :(

That's the third set of names they've put there. They're trolling you.

I mean, we know what the classes are in essence, but they've been dicking around with what they're calling them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Given their overall approach to PR, I can genuinely imagine a work meeting where someone stands up and says "Okay guys, weekly name change for [the spoilered classes], what are we gonna bump it to next to gently caress with the players?"

It makes me happy

Fat Aggression
Aug 18, 2006

Magres posted:

Is there any word on if Taunts will do anything in PvP? I'd love to see them do Taunts kinda the way they do blind and stuff - something like if you get Taunted, your screen gets plastered in red except for the taunt target, and you stop being able to see anything but the thing that taunted you. You can choose to either wail on them and eat the full duration of the taunt (but dealing damage) or stop attacking for half/quarter duration. Mechanically I'm thinking like "X second duration taunt, +Y seconds per attack to a max of Z bonus seconds" so a nominally 8s taunt would last 2-4 seconds, and the other 4-6 seconds would get tacked on if you attack the person who taunted you. Basically by attacking you're embracing the bloodrage they have instilled you with, making it more effective.

Taunts work in PvP like the did in SWTOR. When you taunt someone they do less damage to everyone that isn't you while it's in effect. It also does this in PvE in addition to moving you on the threat list.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
I honestly love Carbine's sense of humor about the last two class reveals. It's like, "Well, balls, it's already out there... gently caress it, let's have some fun with this and act like it's still a big secret anyway. :v:"

Argable
Aug 18, 2012

rap music posted:

http://pastebin.com/0zf3pqX8 :ssh:

I continue to know exactly what class I'll be trying.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
:10bux: says Carbine has been trolling us this entire time and the last two classes are not what we think they are but two completely different ones.

bibliophile
Feb 9, 2008

Bashez posted:

That's the third set of names they've put there. They're trolling you.

I mean, we know what the classes are in essence, but they've been dicking around with what they're calling them.

Aw, butts. They got me good. :argh:

I love it.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU

Doh004 posted:

:10bux: says Carbine has been trolling us this entire time and the last two classes are not what we think they are but two completely different ones.

I'm gonna laugh when someone Toxx Clauses you on this. :smugdog:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doh004 posted:

I'll take that bet.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'll take that bet.

Forums upgrade of our choice sound good to you?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Magres posted:

Given their overall approach to PR, I can genuinely imagine a work meeting where someone stands up and says "Okay guys, weekly name change for [the spoilered classes], what are we gonna bump it to next to gently caress with the players?"

It makes me happy

Yep. That happened.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

That is glorious. And not surprising in the least.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Pryce posted:

Yep. That happened.

:swoon:

I adore you

Urinal Farter
May 5, 2006

Magres posted:

It makes me happy

I really do hope they end up calling the last two classes something other than what was originally leaked. You've got classes like the Esper and Spellslinger running around, and even very uniquely named attributes like Moxie, Grit, etc. Next to all of that Engineer and Medic sound incredibly mundane and un-Wildstary to me.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I hope they go with Sawbones for Medic.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
They also have "warrior" which is pretty bland.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

Yeah, but you try coming up with an alternative name to "Warrior" that isn't a) overused or b) utterly ridiculous.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Full Metal Boxers posted:

Yeah, but you try coming up with an alternative name to "Warrior" that isn't a) overused or b) utterly ridiculous.

Just call them Soldiers. It makes sense in the context of the game.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Wildstar's flavor skews a bit toward the "ridiculous" anyway. You could call 'em Brawlers, Mercs, or anything, really.

They should "accidentally" post names that aren't synonyms for what the classes are, just to see what kind of reaction they can from the "This is all misdirection!" conspiracy theorists.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

Just call them Soldiers. It makes sense in the context of the game.

Except that they already used that name for something else in the game :ssh:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Call them Swordslingers :buddy:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Call them Wrestlers and give them chairs instead of Swords.

Unfortunately they're probably there to be the "safe" class so I doubt they'd ever do anything other than make them as generic as possible.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
I'm glad I'm not the only one who heard "Pro wrestling moves" on the Devspeak and thought, "If there isn't a sword skin that looks like a folding chair, so help me...."

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Holy poo poo I want nuclear powered folding chairs with which to beat people to death.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
So, apparently europeans really are on the beta invite list now.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I finally watched the Mordesh/Chua video, and now I can't decide if I want to be a cold space killbot or a psychopathic maniacal furby. :ohdear:

e: I hope the name 'Gizmo' isn't blocked. And actually, do we know how the naming system is being handled? I really hope it's not an archaic WoW-like 'someone else has your name, do you want to try adding numbers at the end?' type setup. Devs, I hope you took a look at how Cryptic games handle character names!

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 23, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Furby always. Getting killed by fluffy critters is a surefire way to annoy pubbies

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

Furby always. Getting killed by fluffy critters is a surefire way to annoy pubbies

That's what we call furby supremacy. Not too excited about the other Dominion race options (or most of the Exiles, for that matter) but the Chua hit the right spots. Like furry goblins, which makes them win.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Gasperkun posted:

That's what we call furby supremacy. Not too excited about the other Dominion race options (or most of the Exiles, for that matter) but the Chua hit the right spots. Like furry goblins, which makes them win.

The thing that jumps out to me about chua:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoK0BzYUTrU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
A new wave of beta invites seems to have gone out, according to /r/WildStar. Additionally, the e-mails for this wave is coming from the domain @carbinestudios.p0.com. They're using a new mailer system because their old one sucks (and didn't add a lot of users to the list (oh and always got directed to Spam)) and for now it shows up like that.

Here's the KB: http://support.wildstar-online.com/entries/28548977-Is-this-beta-invitation-email-legit-

More importantly, I almost died because I saw I got a new Spam e-mail tonight and it was something entirely unrelated. Sigh. Also, I still worry about the new mailer not sending e-mails to some users.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Never don't Chua spellslinger.

I get to be a furby...with guns...and a sweet hat.

Orv
May 4, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

Never don't Chua spellslinger.

I get to be a furby...with guns...and a sweet hat.

This guy gets it.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I can't wait to make my main guy a Cassian and be a sneering space-prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Livestream is firing up for anyone interested.

• Locked thread