Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/crave-more-2015-subaru-wrx-details-we-have-them-straight-from-a-deep-dive-backgrounder-2013-l-a-auto-show/

quote:

In sum, the new WRX strives to be even less of a factory racing special than before and more a highly cultivated and premium road car for adults. Think Audi S4 minus many thousands of dollars, and you get what Subaru is after.

I'm 100% okay with that - just wish there was a wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Reading the C&D article, it's slower to 60, has bigger brakes, and will be offered in an automatic. I also hate the wheels, and why would they unveil it in red?

Edit: I really need to see some pictures of the rear end of the car, I love the rear end on my '11.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The previous WRX was quicker to 60 than the STI though, just because it didn't have to make a third shift. In the real world the 6-speed is going to improve overall performance.

If they're aiming at the S4 (or probably more realistically the S3) with the WRX, I hope the STI is aimed at the RS3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Has anyone seen curb weight numbers of the new WRX? With the drop in weight of the new Impreza I was hoping we'd see something similar with the WRX, but I'm wondering if the lack of it being advertised implies that it didn't happen.

They said it was ~50 lbs heavier than the old model.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So here's the thing.

quote:

They wanted a WRX that was less like the Impreza, but that drove up the costs in new sheetmetal and other retooling. So they were told they could proceed to work on a sedan or a hatchback, but not both. The American market, which last year took 79 percent of WRX production, voted for the sedan and Subaru made a business decision based on the belief that the four-door offers greater sales potential amongst its hatchback-hating car buyers. We don’t know how the second-largest market, Australia, voted, or the third largest, Canada, but it doesn’t matter. The sedan got the nod and the five-door WRX goes off to hatchback heaven.

Utter.Bullshit.Excuse.

Ever since the WRX went widebody, it has just as "distinct" sheetmetal as this new version (only components it shares with the regular impreza was front doors, roof, and actual hatch door) and they were able to offer both hatch and sedan. But, for some reason, this time it was too expensive.

This new car better be goddamn god on wheels in comparison to the current model handling-wise if their margins were that tight.

I also find it hard to believe that they would sign off on potentially losing half their market over some tooling costs. Something doesn't wash here.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I was probably going to get a hatch if I were to get another WRX in the future as I have a sedan now and want more space to put crap.

I'm not sure where they got those numbers because I see far more hatches than I see sedans around where I live(NJ) not that I see many of the current gen either way honestly.

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!

bull3964 posted:

I also find it hard to believe that they would sign off on potentially losing half their market over some tooling costs. Something doesn't wash here.

I'm going to hazard a guess that with the Crosstrek and standard Impreza hatches being so popular, they're near or at production capacity and needed to hold off on introducing another model based on that body style. Isn't a JDM hatch version confirmed?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

I'm gonna miss the EJ :(. Also let us all remember when the 08 STi came out the sedan didn't come out until the year after.

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012
I'm curious to see what they'll do with the new STi, but I don't think I'll be that impressed. If they don't offer a hatchback at least the resale on my'13 will be high.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thalamus posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess that with the Crosstrek and standard Impreza hatches being so popular, they're near or at production capacity and needed to hold off on introducing another model based on that body style. Isn't a JDM hatch version confirmed?

I don't know if it's been confirmed yet about the JDM version since the WRX unveil was in LA. The only information I can find about a JDM hatchback are rumors dating back to June.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Traditionally, is the spoiler standard on the STI? Are there any STI trims without the spoiler? If I wanted to go spoilerless, what would be the best/economical route? Post on a local subaru forum to see if any new WRX owners want to do a trunk lid swap?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Traditionally, is the spoiler standard on the STI? Are there any STI trims without the spoiler? If I wanted to go spoilerless, what would be the best/economical route? Post on a local subaru forum to see if any new WRX owners want to do a trunk lid swap?

Yeah there are a lot of people who want to do that swap.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

In Japan the "STi wing" for some trims was actually the pancake wing, pancake wing with risers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Tsurugi edition STI is spoilerless, but you americans can't have it because you're not worthy.

http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=18546

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Only Canadians are stupid enough to pay through the nose for that thing.

At least put some Recaros in it, Subaru.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

bull3964 posted:

They said it was ~50 lbs heavier than the old model.

See, now this is what you guys should be complaining about, not that "the reveal color was red".

I'm going to argue the missed opportunity here was to drop the weight down in the 3,000-3,100 range which would have made it much easier to make it faster, make it stop, etc.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

The '07 STI Limited was the toned-down adult version in America. It came with a lip spoiler and black interior.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So the current gen trunk lids are all interchangeable then? How about with the regular non FI Impreza?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I was at a dealer today for shits and looked inside a BRZ and STI. Looks like they got a bulk discount on the radio as all of them regardless of trim had the same 7" LCD radio. I'm just not a fan of factory full display radios. Granted they are better than some of the aftermarket crap they still feel slow and the UI design seems inconsistent with the rest of the car and unrefined.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Guys, the more i look at the new WRX, the more i like it.
In the pics I think it looks great from any head on angle. Not so much from any 3/4 angle. But hey, it's no worse than other WRXs.

Also it's pretty much the 2007 Spec B Legacy I couldn't afford new. In fact they have similar dimensions save overall length.

It's pretty clear they sweated the engineering details. What they should have done was released some youtube videos about how the development team sperged over the chassis, transmission and engine tuning like they did with the BRZ to give us all boners.

8/10 would buy.

Also, don't worry, they will make the hatch for North America probably as early as 2016 model year or I'll eat my hat.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 22, 2013

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

smooth jazz posted:

In the pics I think it looks great from any head on angle. Not so much from any 3/4 angle. But hey, it's no worse than other WRXs.

I can understand that what doesn't appeal to me can appeal to someone else but I think it's crazy to say this is the best looking WRX.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

smooth jazz posted:

Also, don't worry, they will make the hatch for North America probably as early as 2016 model year or I'll eat my hat.

It's the Levorg. And enjoy apparently the CVT only option for it.

VelociBacon posted:

I can understand that what doesn't appeal to me can appeal to someone else but I think it's crazy to say this is the best looking WRX.

It's ..... not a terrible looking car, that's true. I doubt you'll get much debate if you said the Classic still is visually the best.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Do we have historic take numbers on the MT hatch?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Powershift posted:

The Tsurugi edition STI is spoilerless, but you americans can't have it because you're not worthy.

http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=18546

Wow, it's got an auto-dimming rearview mirror! That's luxury!!!

Of the four features they could highlight on the car, that's one of them? Come on, almost every Subaru has that. It's bullshit to even call it an option at this point.

si
Apr 26, 2004

smooth jazz posted:

Also it's pretty much the 2007 Spec B Legacy I couldn't afford new. In fact they have similar dimensions save overall length.

As a 4th gen spec.B owner I am offended.

We have the "proper" 6MT, even though we have a viscous center. We also have a mechanical rear R180.

And c'mon

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

si posted:

As a 4th gen spec.B owner I am offended.

We have the "proper" 6MT, even though we have a viscous center. We also have a mechanical rear R180.

And c'mon

Want this car. What do these go for these days?

si
Apr 26, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Well, this one is mine, there aren't many like it, etc. The 2009s in non-silver/gray are harder to find, probably low 20-ish. The 2007-2008s in silver/gray probably in the 16-18 range? Best bet is probably trolling LegacyGT.com.

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/cars-sale-29.html

There are presumably only ~50 or so that are OBP, and another ~50 in SWP if you're after one that isn't gray or silver. There are also seemingly even less than that in RRP. They do all show up on there from time to time though, and the price really isn't significantly higher than anything else.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I test drove a specB back in 2006 when my then gf needed a new car but settled for a Corolla which she still drives and is still probably the best condition 2006 Corolla within 300 miles of Los Angeles.

I kinda regret not getting the specB.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

It's the Levorg. And enjoy apparently the CVT only option for it.

I don't think the Levorg would come to the US as a standalone product but as a WRX variant - there really isn't a niche for it by itself - so if it does show up it'll have the same configurations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Baby chat:
Anyone have experience with kid seats in a 08+ wrx? I was lookin at a Recaro proride but there are no near by places I can try one with. My son is quickly getting too heavy to carry in his removable seat. FWIW my wife and I are both short (I am 5'7'). Anyone have other recommendations?

si
Apr 26, 2004

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Baby chat:
Anyone have experience with kid seats in a 08+ wrx? I was lookin at a Recaro proride but there are no near by places I can try one with. My son is quickly getting too heavy to carry in his removable seat. FWIW my wife and I are both short (I am 5'7'). Anyone have other recommendations?

Do you need something fancy for any particular reason? As far as I know the LATCH system in the WRX is the same as any other car. I think it should be the same as anything.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

si posted:

Do you need something fancy for any particular reason? As far as I know the LATCH system in the WRX is the same as any other car. I think it should be the same as anything.

We just need something that our kid can grow into/up with. The Recaro goes from like 8-70 lbs. His current seat has the Latch system and a stay-in-the-car base, but he is getting too heavy to remove while still in the seat. I have heard good stuff on the Recaros, but I am not wed to them by any means.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Baby chat:

I got one, fits great in my 03 wagon. Highly recommended

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Did these rims stop coming stock on Imprezas? Apparently the older version were stock on my old 97 RX but not this? I just bought the car and the old owner said that it used to have lovely steelies, I'm trying to figure out if they are/aren't for insurance.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 23, 2013

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Did these rims stop coming stock on Imprezas? Apparently the older version were stock on my old 97 RX but not this? I just bought the car and the old owner said that it used to have lovely steelies, I'm trying to figure out if they are/aren't for insurance.
You can double-check with NASIOC's OEM wheel thread, but those look about right.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I recently purchased a 2001 Subaru Outback wagon and upon purchase I noticed that the temperature control knob on my heater/AC was a little funky. It wasn't as smooth as the other knobs and I could feel that it was a little off. I'm not 100% sure if that's how Subaru designed it but I'm thinking that the knob needs to be cleaned/replaced. Earlier today, I was adjusting the temperature and I noticed that my car started to only blow cold air. It was working fine before but now I'm certain that the knob was stripped and it's stuck on one temperature only.

Does anyone know if I am able to remove the knob without having to remove the heater/AC control unit & radio?

EDIT: Fixed the issue by taking apart the panel and fixing the wire connected to the temperature control gauge behind the climate control panel.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 24, 2013

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

Baby chat:

We have no trouble putting a couple of different seats we have into my '08 WRX sedan. Make sure any seat you purchase has good head protection; this is a relatively new concentration point for baby seats so not all of them have it. It should basically look like a miniature race car seat.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

BoyBlunder posted:

Is the knocking not covered under the 60k powertrain warranty?

They aren't willing to honor it until I can provide them with proof of oil filter purchases alongside my oil purchases (I used Motul 300V Exclusively and rarely bought filters/tended to just let someone with a lift do a change on the w/ oil I would provide cause I kept having my tools stolen). I've provided them with the oil receipts and some of the most recent dealer changes, but they're trying to worm their way out of it at every step of the way.

I won't hear if they'll honor my warranty till sometime after Monday. They're treating me like this cause the dealer thinks I modified it for some reason. I kept the car completely bone stock and I was planning on keeping this car till the wheels falls off, unfortunately Subaru corporate has made the experience of owning a Subaru thoroughly unpleasant.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Copy pasting from Stupid Questions thread:

quote:

This is a pretty specific question. I'm running an Apexi Power FC ECU in my 98 STi. Since I've installed it 4 months ago it has very occaisionally displayed the symptom of a full spark/fuel cut (doesn't smell like fuel), at which time it will not start back up (easily turns over). I attributed this to a loose wire or something similar and after messing around pushing on the wires in the ECU loom going into the PFC for awhile it starts (takes a long time and I'm never really sure if I've changed anything or it just decided to start). It recently has begun very occaisionally not starting after I've turned it off. It'll turn over, sound like it turns over for a second and then stalls out completely. Throttle position does absolutely nothing . What do you guys think is going on?

I haven't had the chance to install the software onto my gf's laptop and use my datalogit to see if the PFC is not getting signal from something. It was professionally tuned by a shop and runs flawlessly when it runs. It was a used PFC but I've had no other issues with it. I'm really suspecting this to be a loose wire somewhere but not sure why it sometimes resolves over time if it's a loose wire.

I'm now wondering if this is possibly an issue with my crank/cam position sensor, someone mentioned this in the stupid questions thread and the more I look around online the more suspicious this seems. Is there a good way to check these sensors (with a voltmeter?) or do you need to interrogate the apexi power FC?

Anyone ever have a failed cam/crank position sensor?

e: Should add that I can't imagine it's a cam sensor issue because you'd expect them all not to fail at once and I'd just have a poor idle or something.

E2: The car runs *perfectly* when it starts which is 95% of the time.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

si
Apr 26, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Speak of the devil - I guess this is what they go for.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-pa-2009-legacy-spec-b-217352.html