Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

"What if they read this post out loud in a silly voice and totally misinterpret it? Better add some stage directions."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

"The free market is drat amazing!" :wow:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

gradenko_2000 posted:

If only the free market would do something about the stagnant wages that the middle class and below have been getting for the last 30 odd years.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

gradenko_2000 posted:

In fairness, it is pretty awesome (to say nothing of surprising) that businesses are voluntarily offering mat leave when it isn't legally required.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Douwe posted:

I consider this to be insanely creepy [I am a dear old forums poster you can trust]

I'm a close dear friend who doesn't know your father has been dead for 17 years.

This reeks of creepy old man

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Using Snopes to re-enforce the fact that you are wrong. I don't even know what to say.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Iron Rose posted:

In fairness, it is pretty awesome (to say nothing of surprising) that businesses are voluntarily offering mat leave when it isn't legally required.

It should be neither awesome nor a surprise that a business is offering maternity leave. Because it should be expected. Because it should be mandatory.

Complimenting a business when it voluntarily gives maternity leave is like complimenting your master when he gives you a particularly nice table scrap.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

1stGear posted:

It should be neither awesome nor a surprise that a business is offering maternity leave. Because it should be expected. Because it should be mandatory.

Complimenting a business when it voluntarily gives maternity leave is like complimenting your master when he gives you a particularly nice table scrap.

Is this not FMLA? A federally mandadated thing for like decades (maybe years).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dijon du jour posted:

Here's an article where they examined the 115 cases she had at the time made publicly available statements on and found that she had been proven right exactly zero times. It also has a few paragraphs about what a harmful shitpile she was.
http://www.csicop.org/si/show/psychic_defective_sylvia_brownes_history_of_failure/

That's amazing. You'd expect her to get some right just by pure chance. Obviously she was psychic, but her spirit guys were huge assholes who lied to her constantly.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Darth123123 posted:

Is this not FMLA? A federally mandadated thing for like decades (maybe years).

FMLA does not require that leave to be paid. It basically says a company has to hold the job for a set number of months in the case of a pregnancy.

edit: Unpaid leave forces new mothers to return to the workforce sooner which studies have shown to have negative effects on the mother and the child

Pead has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Nov 22, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Pretty sure that a significant majority of maternity leaves in the US are unpaid. This story states that only 17% of public-sector and 11% of private-sector employees have a paid maternity leave option.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Nov 22, 2013

HowSoonIsNow
Nov 9, 2013

Manfrompoot posted:

"What if they read this post out loud in a silly voice and totally misinterpret it? Better add some stage directions."

That is really weird. if you're really sincere about wanting to talk, why not just PM the person?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

HowSoonIsNow posted:

That is really weird. if you're really sincere about wanting to talk, why not just PM the person?

Beep boop I am a robot and don't understand human interaction. Insert tone of voice here.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

ThatPazuzu posted:

Bitstrips get weird, fast.

Law posted:

I know what you mean.

cptn_dr posted:

Bitstrips are weird

Okay Bitstrips are now my favourite thing.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Pretty sure that a significant majority of maternity leaves in the US are unpaid. This story states that only 17% of public-sector and 11% of private-sector employees have a paid maternity leave option.

You do qualify for disability, though.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

ThatPazuzu posted:

Edit: Preemptively, it's not actually from my facebook, I found this online. You can also tell it's not mine cuz the user has a friend in his profile pic.

God this reminds me of, after my mom died, I didn't tell anyone, I was just trying to finish Jr. Year in peace, and my a not-so-close friend lost it on me. "How could you not tell me your mom died! I am your friend! I can't believe you didn't tell me!" Sorry I didn't make it all about you, pal.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Guy posts oversimplified map of the spread of world religions, lady gets really mad about dots.

Monkeytime has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Nov 22, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Holy gently caress she is really upset. Like, seriously loving upset over nothing.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Monkeytime posted:

Guy posts oversimplified map of the spread of world religions, lady gets really mad about dots.

This is seriously baffling. What the gently caress? I don't see how this can make anyone so angry. Is it because they used the word "conquest"?

Plus, Islam actually was literally spread by conquest.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Smoremaster posted:

This is seriously baffling. What the gently caress? I don't see how this can make anyone so angry. Is it because they used the word "conquest"?

Her "team" didn't win according to the map, and she got mad. Hilariously, breathlessly mad.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What if the purple dots were 1000 times more potent than the orange dots? :byodood:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Smoremaster posted:

So was Christianity, it was just a bit more front-loaded in Islam.

E: Christ, I took a look at the source of that map (wanted to see what made her so upset), it's basically american_pop_culture_history.avi. Not really anything to get so mad about though.

A Buttery Pastry has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Nov 22, 2013

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Monkeytime posted:

This guy seemed very rational and handled her crazy pretty well. Good FB friends are a rare case so congrats.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Monkeytime posted:

You believe the map? What is the map? That is some existential poo poo right there.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I like how he disagrees with well known history.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Education, medicine and technology? gently caress that noise.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
Well?? What if a red dot was 5000 more potent than a purple dot?!

I think maybe they're getting mad that each religion is represented equally.

Homocow has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Nov 22, 2013

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Monkeytime posted:

It reads like when your drunk friend tries to debate you in politics and gets angry at you because he isn't making any sense.

content:

You are totally right, changing the filibuster laws to exclude nominees is exactly like a country who's economy is soley dependent on one export. Also, it is on, basically, every page of CNN.com

York_M_Chan has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Nov 22, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Apparently America was a banana republic before 2003, because before the Dems filibustered a couple of Bush's judicial nominees, filibusters for executive appointments were exceedingly rare.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Law posted:

Okay Bitstrips are now my favourite thing.

Yeah what the hell, if the bitstrips I saw were more like that I'd love the hell out of bitstrips. But all my Facebook has is "Jenn can't function without coffee" and poo poo.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I hate the words zilch and nada. Especially when used close together. Zip in that context as well. I've always imagined they're mostly only used by old grumpy aol-using ladies on local news websites who also say things like "don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya"

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I hate the words zilch and nada. Especially when used close together. Zip in that context as well. I've always imagined they're mostly only used by old grumpy aol-using ladies on local news websites who also say things like "don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya"

What about 'nuff said'? That's like the smuggest possible way to end any sentence.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

vaguely posted:

What about 'nuff said'? That's like the smuggest possible way to end any sentence.

gently caress you, trying to trigger me are you?

Vin BioEthanol has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Nov 22, 2013

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Yeah what the hell, if the bitstrips I saw were more like that I'd love the hell out of bitstrips. But all my Facebook has is "Jenn can't function without coffee" and poo poo.

I've only used bitstrips once and it was after my brother kept asking me to use it so he could tag me in stuff, so I made this

(I couldn't help myself, I was laughing my rear end off because that was the default text)

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Maybe I should start consider letting local law enforcement know to keep an eye on this guy.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Xemloth posted:

I've only used bitstrips once and it was after my brother kept asking me to use it so he could tag me in stuff, so I made this

(I couldn't help myself, I was laughing my rear end off because that was the default text)

Bitstrips are just ripe for the imagination

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

trapped mouse posted:

Maybe I should start consider letting local law enforcement know to keep an eye on this guy.

Even if you did want this, why would you let people know? Why.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

trapped mouse posted:

Maybe I'm missing something really obvious here but what the gently caress is this thing about nosebleeds?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Soviet Commubot posted:

Maybe I'm missing something really obvious here but what the gently caress is this thing about nosebleeds?

In anime, people get a nosebleed when they get aroused I think, or something to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Soviet Commubot posted:

In anime it means the character is thinking perverted thoughts.

• Locked thread