Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
GFS parts came in tonight, so time to stay up late and install them!

Stock VM Telecaster Special wasn't playing nice at band night with the other guys, so the stock pickups had to go.

Did not expect the route to be that close. Expected standard box cutout.

Quality electrics. Switched them out with USA spec switch and push/pull alpha 500K pots.

Neck mounted humbucker was bottoming out in the cut. It left no room for height adjustment upward as the screws were hitting the bottom. Two small drill marks gave me some more adjustment room from flush to touching the strings.

All done. Wilkinson saddles installed on stock bridge, Power Rock Neovin bridge, VEH neck humbucker, and some new switch gear.

Now only if I had finished before 1am so I could try it at a decent volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Looking sharp, Sockington.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The good news about finishing that late is you give the new strings a chance to settle in overnight and avoid minor tuning issues.

How long is it safe to leave the strings off a guitar? Is it safer to just take the neck off if it's going to be over a few weeks in winter with central heating switching on and off?

I'm finally getting round to fitting that Göldo BackBox on my GRGA but due to the bloody overhang I've posted about in the past I'll have to try a few different methods. Likely going to use some JB Weld epoxy and 9mm*6mm pegs as there's no room for the usual mounting screws behind the pickup routes. I'll also have to find a small block of wood to fit in the overhang otherwise part of the backbox will be floating above a 6.5mm gap. Then it's just a matter of finding a 4 pack of medium-hard springs to hold the tremblock tight against the backbox pad.

Also developed an issue with the EDGE III trem where it has two zero-pivot points which is either a slight misalignment on the posts or the knife edge's "cheap n' soft" metal has flattened, becoming slightly blunted which leads to the fat knife problem mentioned here on IbanezRules.com.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Ladies and gentlemen, I am the proud new owner of a 1964 Fender Jazzmaster in Olympic White. I spent a lot, lot of money. We haven't really nailed down the price, but it's going to be between four and five thousand. I'm a player and collector, though, so this is kind of what I do. I don't feel bad about it. Although sometimes it does seem a little bit insane.

An original note from the previous owner:

Guitar:

With my '83 p-bass in a similar color:

Everything that's sitting out in the open right now. Bonus kitty, who's name is Chimpy.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

jwh posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I am the proud new owner of a 1964 Fender Jazzmaster in Olympic White.
Holy god, that is gorgeous. Is it as immaculate as it seems in the pictures?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Professor Science posted:

Holy god, that is gorgeous. Is it as immaculate as it seems in the pictures?

It's pretty good. The body was refinned professionally back to its original color, which was Oly White. When it first came in, it was stripped back down to bare wood, but after pulling the pick guard it was determined to be Olympic White. So they refinished it very nicely.

It's a great sounding instrument- much nicer than my 1967 Jaguar, and it plays better, too. It needs a proper setup, but it's going to hopefully be with me for a long time. There's an awesome moment when you play a really nice vintage guitar where you say 'ah, that's what it is, isn't it,' and it sounds like all the records you love.

So yeah, great guitar, painful price tag.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Congrats! But having that cat walk around like that seems like a pretty risky thing to do IMO.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Agreed, give me the guitars to keep them safe from the cat.

What strings do you use on the vintage Jag/Jazzy?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Remulak posted:

Agreed, give me the guitars to keep them safe from the cat.

What strings do you use on the vintage Jag/Jazzy?

12s with a wound G on the jag, this Jazzmaster I'm not sure yet. I'll probably try the same the next time I change the strings.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

That orange cat is a real gem; he's afraid of everything. He spends most of his life curled up underneath a blanket on my bed. I don't even know how he gets under there.

But he's afraid of guitars, and especially amplified guitars.

I have another one, though, and she knocked over a '70s Harmony acoustic, and that sucked.

edit: Oh, and also she destroyed a '70's Ovation Balladeer, which was too bad. I liked that guitar.

jwh fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 20, 2013

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
My cat absolutely hates my SG - to the point of hissing at it whenever I pick it up. She quite likes my Strat though, and likes to rub up against the headstock whenever I'm sat on the floor playing it.

What I'm trying to say is that cats are weird.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Sadsack posted:

My cat absolutely hates my SG - to the point of hissing at it whenever I pick it up. She quite likes my Strat though, and likes to rub up against the headstock whenever I'm sat on the floor playing it.

What I'm trying to say is that cats are weird.

My friend's dog always ignores me, but the moment I pick up the Thunderbird bass (I usually play it sitting down on the floor so I can brace it against the terrible neck dive) he gets in really close and starts licking my fingers.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Nice find!

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I need a book recommendation for solo acoustic guitar. I would like a song based book which incorporates both flatpicking and fingerpicking into the repetoire. Any style is fine but I was thinking more acoustic specific guitar songs (not like chord strumming though) that incorporate a decent amount of open strings, etc.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

coolbian57 posted:

I need a book recommendation for solo acoustic guitar. I would like a song based book which incorporates both flatpicking and fingerpicking into the repetoire. Any style is fine but I was thinking more acoustic specific guitar songs (not like chord strumming though) that incorporate a decent amount of open strings, etc.

Acoustic Guitar Tab White Pages. Tons and tons and tons of songs, specifically either written on acoustic guitar or arranged for acoustic guitar.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

coolbian57 posted:

Depending on how experienced you are, this book is good http://www.amazon.com/How-Play-Guitar-Everything-Need/dp/0312287062/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1385004211&sr=8-5&keywords=learn+guitar

Teaches you some acoustic folk songs, from basic fingerstyle to the multiple finger stuff

Gives you the introductory skills, but if you're beyond the beginner parts of fingerpicking you could skip it. Flatpicking only covers the really easy stuff

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TopherCStone posted:

Depending on how experienced you are, this book is good http://www.amazon.com/How-Play-Guitar-Everything-Need/dp/0312287062/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1385004211&sr=8-5&keywords=learn+guitar

Teaches you some acoustic folk songs, from basic fingerstyle to the multiple finger stuff

Gives you the introductory skills, but if you're beyond the beginner parts of fingerpicking you could skip it. Flatpicking only covers the really easy stuff

I looked at that one but I think I am pretty far beyond that level. I researched this for about an hour today and found nothing that matches my needs -- I wanted a book that focuses on really elegant acoustic songs that don't necessarily use fingerpicking or flatpicking (but instead perhaps hybrid picking). I will just have to continue carefully selecting songs that match my skill level and desired form of music. In fact, I should probably learn by ear.

I did find this to be interesting though (and free):
http://www.musiccentre.co.uk/eBooks/free-guitar-chords/42_chord_melody_arrangements.pdf

coolbian57 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 21, 2013

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I have a big rear end acoustic guitar (cheap POS Arbor) given to me. When you can't hold the guitar without your right arm going to sleep due to cut-off circulation, what do you change? The guitar? The posture? I don't get it, this thing is unplayable unless I want to lose a limb.

EDIT: I didn't realize ligation was a classical style.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Ferret King posted:

I have a big rear end acoustic guitar (cheap POS Arbor) given to me. When you can't hold the guitar without your right arm going to sleep due to cut-off circulation, what do you change? The guitar? The posture? I don't get it, this thing is unplayable unless I want to lose a limb.

EDIT: I didn't realize ligation was a classical style.

Change your posture, and if that doesn't work, try a smaller guitar. You could also try a strap and standing up while you play and see if that helps.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Dumb newbie question incoming.
I've been trying to teach myself guitar following JustinGuitar's online lessons. It was going OK, but I felt like it was missing something. It didn't really click until last night, when I was, out of boredom, trying to learn some Distillers songs (because they are my favorite band). I looked up the chords to one of the songs and started strumming it out (with open chords) on my acoustic. Then I looked up another song, but the chord list mentioned that all of their songs should be played with power chords.
I had learned to play a couple of power chords previously, but I went and found a chart of all of them so I could start working these out. At first, I was just finding the 4-5 I needed for a song and committing them to memory, then banging them out in the right sequence. This was both difficult, and hampered by the width of my acoustic's neck. I bought it because my fingers were too drat thick to do open chords on my crappy little Squier electric. That was the first click-I realized my Squier was tiny to facilitate power chords.
The second click came when I decided I should just memorize all the power chords so I could stop looking over at the chart. That's when I realized that they were just a ladder up the chart one fret at a time. The phrase "half step" resurfaced from my ancient high school band class where I was the only percussion guy willing to learn marimba. Oh duh, I thought to myself.
It all locked into place 2 minutes later when I figured out what Drop D tuning was for, which had previously been an enigma to me. After that, I was suddenly able to shred out all of my favorite songs with relative ease.

This is all a roundabout way of saying, the JustinGuitar stuff lacks the comprehension aspect that seems to drive learning for me. Those lessons are like a guy saying "Say these words in this order and it'll make a sentence, promise," without explaining to me what those words mean, why saying them in that order makes a sentence, what that sentence means, etc. Figuring out the why of the power chords made it a snap for me to learn the how. Are there any resources out there online that take that sort of approach to teaching guitar to beginners? Even now, it's great that I understand the power chord scale, but it doesn't answer questions like "Why does E+B make an E chord?", and I think once I grasp that concept it'll be easier to understand how to navigate all of the strings and frets. What makes G+B+D+B+G+G an open G chord? Obviously three strings are playing G at different pitches, but what makes the Bs and D "go" with that?

Sorry if this is really rambly. I feel like I just scratched the surface of comprehension and now I'm super hungry for more.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Learn your modes and then just apply those to everything and it will all fall into place. From root notes to interval relationships, everything can be explained with some basic music theory.

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Sorry if this is really rambly. I feel like I just scratched the surface of comprehension and now I'm super hungry for more.

Sounds like you are starting to have some basic realizations about your playing and about music that are starting to come together. These realizations will continue to happen as you play more. It will come with time, you can't really force this to happen so just continue to practice. Try practicing in different ways.

Learning more music theory will help you know what realizations you have left to realize, if that makes any sense. You have to learn the concepts, and then gradually work them into your playing over a long period of time.

coolbian57 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 21, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm exhausted so I can't go into an explanation (you can click my post history in this thread if you want to dig for some old rambles on basic theory), but studybass.com has a really nice concise theory overview - it'll tell you all about intervals and how they relate on the fretboard, and later it gets into diatonic stuff which is basically about what chords go together and what notes they're made up from (or to put it another way, what notes go together and what chords they create :unsmigghh:). It's about bass but it's basically the same as a guitar, the ideas apply even if you don't tend to play the same way. It's a good bit of grounding, anyway.

Also the fretboard-learning exercise is really good, and you'll need to know where the notes are to get the most out of this. Like a key implies certain named chords, which fall on certain frets, so instead of memorising a set of fret numbers you're learning the actual root notes which all fit a pattern, so you can actually work it out just from knowing the key you're in. There are a bunch of resources for learning music but that's a good start anyway.

Just as a taster, chords are built up from certain intervals, which are notes a certain 'distance' from your starting root note. The distance from E to B is called a Perfect Fifth, and that 5th shows up a lot in most chords. That D in your open G major chord is the 5th, because it's a Perfect Fifth above G. The B note in there is a Major 3rd, which is what makes the chord major. That's your basic major chord - root, major 3rd and 5th. Read the diatonic stuff to find out about those basic intervals and how they apply to the fretboard

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Here's something to ponder upon the tree of woe: move the root note in your power chord up to the next octave (like the G at the 3rd fret on the E string, play the G at the 5th fret on the D string instead). It's both a 4th interval (with the D at the 5th fret on the A string as the root) or an inverted power chord with the higher G as the root.

It shows up in a lot of stuff, so it's actually useful.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
^^Edit, and actually I saw something just like that in Coral Fang, where both chord progressions start with an inverted power chord just like that. I am going to have a lot of brainthoughts while I am practicing tonight.

I now have a lot of reading to do. Thank you all!

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 21, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-SGOR-HCLC1

Gibson SG Original for 1240.00

These ain't gettin any cheaper fellas.

AMS and Sweetwater are having a massive blow out sale. A few guys at TGP just snagged a Gold Top Traditional for 1200 bucks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Gold Top Traditional for 1200 bucks.

poo poo man, I would kill for that deal. Any idea how they managed that?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

poo poo man, I would kill for that deal. Any idea how they managed that?

Sam Ash did this last year but with a more limited selection. Apparently AMS is doing it this year and Sweet Water has been price matching. These are website prices, not rebate/coupon/etc. Check both and see if they got anything you want.

I was wrong, that's a Gold Top Standard. So even more of a deal.

Prices have been very fluid. I almost pulled the trigger on an SG Original at 1500 earlier this morning when it dropped from normal price. Glad I waited.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

This is all a roundabout way of saying, the JustinGuitar stuff lacks the comprehension aspect that seems to drive learning for me. Those lessons are like a guy saying "Say these words in this order and it'll make a sentence, promise," without explaining to me what those words mean, why saying them in that order makes a sentence, what that sentence means, etc. Figuring out the why of the power chords made it a snap for me to learn the how. Are there any resources out there online that take that sort of approach to teaching guitar to beginners? Even now, it's great that I understand the power chord scale, but it doesn't answer questions like "Why does E+B make an E chord?", and I think once I grasp that concept it'll be easier to understand how to navigate all of the strings and frets. What makes G+B+D+B+G+G an open G chord? Obviously three strings are playing G at different pitches, but what makes the Bs and D "go" with that?

If you're the kind of person who is motivated to understand music and not just follow along with youtube videos in monkey-see-monkey-do fashion, I think you would gain a lot from the Hal Leonard Guitar method book. I think it's pretty good for self teaching guitar or people with no serious musical background but still has enough pedagogy to it that you'll develop an understanding music.

Also, music theory is music theory, doesn't matter if it is guitar specific or not. Any general music theory resource is going to cover chord construction. I've browsed through the 'Dummies' book on music theory and it was pretty decent.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can anyone recommend a good resource for learning more about modes? I understand what they are, but I don't understand why they matter or how they're used (and particularly how they're used in rock and pop music).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Sam Ash did this last year but with a more limited selection. Apparently AMS is doing it this year and Sweet Water has been price matching. These are website prices, not rebate/coupon/etc. Check both and see if they got anything you want.

I was wrong, that's a Gold Top Standard. So even more of a deal.

Prices have been very fluid. I almost pulled the trigger on an SG Original at 1500 earlier this morning when it dropped from normal price. Glad I waited.

I really wish I had that kind of money right now. I'm craving either a Les Paul or another SG and the need isn't going away anytime soon. I'm guessing those are some of the best prices I'll see for a while too.

Grabbed some Dava picks today. The regular and the jazz ones. Totally digging them. The tone is very clear and plucky, the grip is perfect (I wouldn't mind if they were thicker though), and the adjustable grip gimmick is instantly usable. They're certainly some of the best picks I've used up there with V-Picks when it comes to being unique for a good reason. Dirt cheap too!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sockington posted:

All done. Wilkinson saddles installed on stock bridge, Power Rock Neovin bridge, VEH neck humbucker.....

Now only if I had finished before 1am so I could try it at a decent volume.

After finally getting things setup pretty close (had to slightly shim the neck), I can confirm the pickups are perfect for what I need. A DropD D5 chord sounds so much more full with the pickups switched out. The push/pulls are nice when the humbuckers are "too much".

Also, GFS push/pulls are WAY smoother and nicer than the generic eBay crap I have got in the past. A nice smooth pull up instead of a hard tug and either the knob comes off or the push/pull activates.

Happy customer. Would purchase again.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Anyone got any advice for a crackly jack? My jazz bass (yes I know where I am) has a really lovely connection - I've opened it up and taken a look, and the springy contact seems like it's fitting into the plug's collar properly. It seems like even the smallest movement can cut the entire signal or bring it back, but I can't see any physical difference when it goes from dead to alive.

I'm not really sure what to look for, anyone got any tips? I can take a picture later if it needs it

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Anyone got any advice for a crackly jack? My jazz bass (yes I know where I am) has a really lovely connection - I've opened it up and taken a look, and the springy contact seems like it's fitting into the plug's collar properly. It seems like even the smallest movement can cut the entire signal or bring it back, but I can't see any physical difference when it goes from dead to alive.

I'm not really sure what to look for, anyone got any tips? I can take a picture later if it needs it

If it's breaking up when you move the cord and there's nothing loose on the guitar's jack, it's probably the cable. Usually signal cutting out when you move the cable means something inside the cable's plug housing is loose.

If you know the cable is good, double check the solder connections on the jack and make sure the barrel of the plug isn't contacting anything (bare metal) that might short your connection while plugged in.

Alternately, check for corrosion where metal contacts metal. If there is any, get some contact cleaner.

If you're using a cable that has solderless connectors (Such as a George L's cable), make sure everything is in the connector properly - if the part of the cable inside the tip assembly is worn out, trim the cable and reattach the tip, making sure everything is in there tight. This is mainly a problem in their right angle tips; straight tips are more solid in my experience since an actual screw retains the cable and the cable itself doesn't have to crease for the tip to be attached.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 22, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really wish I had that kind of money right now. I'm craving either a Les Paul or another SG and the need isn't going away anytime soon. I'm guessing those are some of the best prices I'll see for a while too.

Grabbed some Dava picks today. The regular and the jazz ones. Totally digging them. The tone is very clear and plucky, the grip is perfect (I wouldn't mind if they were thicker though), and the adjustable grip gimmick is instantly usable. They're certainly some of the best picks I've used up there with V-Picks when it comes to being unique for a good reason. Dirt cheap too!

AMS has some pretty solid financing, if it helps.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Holy poo poo just bought an SG standard for $779. Was gonna get the $519 Future Tribute since I love Steinberg tuners, but for an extra $250 (including going up to a case) this seemed like a great deal.

Was also looking at the 60's tribute SG with the new robot tuner for only $659.....

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Remulak posted:

Holy poo poo just bought an SG standard for $779. Was gonna get the $519 Future Tribute since I love Steinberg tuners, but for an extra $250 (including going up to a case) this seemed like a great deal.

Was also looking at the 60's tribute SG with the new robot tuner for only $659.....

Yeah that's a pretty insane price. If I didn't already have a 61 reissue I'd be going for it. Actually the 2013 Standards fix a few things that a lot of people don't like about the 61s (neck joint, neck shape, headstock size), though none of that has ever been a problem for me. Mine is my favorite guitar.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

baka kaba posted:

In addition to what Zonekeeper said one of the jack's wires might be loose. It can happen from time to time because the jack is one of the solder contact points which gets the most jostling.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Thanks for the tips guys - it's actually a crappy Planet Waves cable and I only just realised the plug ends are moulded unlike all my other cables, can't get in there! It's pretty ok with my other instruments, it sometimes crackles but it's only this Jazz bass where it goes completely dead, which is why I feel like it's the jack. It plugs in pretty securely and it really does only take the tiniest adjustment to cut back in, and it doesn't even seem consistent in how I have to move it, which is why it's so confusing. Maybe something's really on the edge, I should probably resolder it if I can't see any corrosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-SGOR-HCLC1

Gibson SG Original for 1240.00

These ain't gettin any cheaper fellas.

AMS and Sweetwater are having a massive blow out sale. A few guys at TGP just snagged a Gold Top Traditional for 1200 bucks.

ugh. I don't need another LP but drat. Some of those are gorgeous, and some of those prices are insane. Does anyone have any experience with the Min-ETune system? I remember reading about the robot tuners a few years ago and saw they were discontinued, and this seems to be the new version. I'd be interested to hear anyone's experiences with them.

Also, here's what got me when I was looking for my LP originally. I wasn't a big fan of either the fat 50's style neck, or the thin 60's style neck, but ended up falling in love with what I think is a combination of the two. At the time, the only LP I could find it on (that wasn't a $5k custom shop,) was a 2008 Standard. Looking on the Gibson website, they just call it an "Asymetrical neck," but looking at the details on the LPs on Sweetwater, some of them are listed as 60's Slim Tapered, some of them say Asymetrical 60's Slim Tapered. Is there a difference? Is the Asymetrical 60's Slim Tapered even the one I want, or is that just another name for the regular 60's slim neck?

Also (:ssh: I'm not American!) when IS Black Friday, is it today or next week?