Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Is there even anything age appropriate for them on PS4? I mean, sure, Knack exists, but what kind of bastard would buy Knack for his nephews?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chaltab posted:

Is there even anything age appropriate for them on PS4? I mean, sure, Knack exists, but what kind of bastard would buy Knack for his nephews?

14 and 15.

I was playing Mortal Kombat by 8 so...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

fivegears4reverse posted:

No kid with the actual option of "toy of some kind" and "clothes" REALLY wants clothes for Christmas, you monster. :colbert:

This is all because someone gave YOU clothes for Christmas as opposed to something you really wanted, isn't it? Don't inflict your own suffering on the innocent!

Depends where they live and the clothes, really. I was very happy to get a good-quality winter jacket from my uncle (he sold the things before he retired, I also got raingear field-tested in a hurricane) because it gets really loving cold in the desert.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
New article outlaying the sales of the Wii U and its projected sales according to industry firm DFC.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/439668/wii-u-lifetime-sales-forecast-at-25-million-analysts/

David Cole posted:

We are once again lowering our outlook for the Wii U. Right now it is looking to do about what the GameCube did during its lifespan which is mainly be another system for Nintendo first party product.

Odds are it will be lowered again down the line.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Al Borland posted:

New article outlaying the sales of the Wii U and its projected sales according to industry firm DFC.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/439668/wii-u-lifetime-sales-forecast-at-25-million-analysts/

Odds are it will be lowered again down the line.

The only Nintendo system lower than the Gamecube is the virtual boy though. Maybe the Virtual Boy should start looking up?

However if it does replicate Gamecube's progress, at least all the games released for the system will be dirt cheap on the secondary market and game sales.

Because I picked up gamecube games for less than a dollar many many many many many times. I think Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix ran me $2.50 cents complete. Because everything else was way under that. I remember spending a little over 4 dollars and walking out with 16 non-sports games one time. Yes each game was a quarter, the prices were just insane.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 22, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
To bad it won't have the same quality library the cube did.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Alteisen posted:

Honestly I found the cube's library rather iffy in total. A lot of really weird design choices marred a bunch of games(i.e. DK Jungle beat, Mario Sunshine) that would have otherwise been good if left alone.

Scanning in Metroid Prime 1 and 2 would have been worlds better if they fixed the one time scan issues and allowed you to go back and get anything you missed, or leaving the dead boss bodies out so you could scan them after the fact. I know they fixed the Ice Keese/Bats in the UK release, but they needed to go further with the fixes.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 22, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chaltab posted:

Skylanders is good for kids aside from the BUY ALL TOYS angle.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Lego Marvel is also on the PS4 and is supposedly a great game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crowbear posted:

Lego Marvel is also on the PS4 and is supposedly a great game.

It is, it's even better than the Lego Star Wars and Batman games.

I'm waiting for a sale so I can get it for under 50 dollars.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

greatn posted:

Maybe the same terrorists responsible for the death of Segata Sanshiro?

But that was Sony :tinfoil:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alteisen posted:

And thats why I doubt it will reach tha level. People keep using the Gamecube as a baseline, but the Gamecube had more things going for it than the WIiU does. I still say Saturn level sales.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fulchrum posted:

And thats why I doubt it will reach tha level. People keep using the Gamecube as a baseline, but the Gamecube had more things going for it than the WIiU does. I still say Saturn level sales.

Saturn did good in Japan though, which even the Wii-U is failing to do. Hell Sakura Wars just closed it's tea café or whatever rather recently and that series hasn't had an entry in the series since the PS2.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Saturn did good in Japan though, which even the Wii-U is failing to do. Hell Sakura Wars just closed it's tea café or whatever rather recently and that series hasn't had an entry in the series since the PS2.

Recently in 2008 maybe. Sakura Wars is still a rather popular series though in Japan.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

i do cocaine posted:

Recently in 2008 maybe. Sakura Wars is still a rather popular series though in Japan.

I'm just hoping that with Sega owning Atlus now they release SW 1-4 in English in some shape or form. I mean they're not rare games at all and you can get them in Japanese for around 10-15 dollars in total for the first four. But playing through them with a translation guide was really kinda annoying, especially for the timed events. But they're really worth playing through, especially since you could trace Persona 3 and 4's systems back to them.

But then again Sega OK'd Project X-Zone and Project Diva F before buying Atlus, so maybe anything goes at this point?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm just hoping that with Sega owning Atlus now they release SW 1-4 in English in some shape or form. I mean they're not rare games at all and you can get them in Japanese for around 10-15 dollars in total for the first four. But playing through them with a translation guide was really kinda annoying, especially for the timed events. But they're really worth playing through, especially since you could trace Persona 3 and 4's systems back to them.

But then again Sega OK'd Project X-Zone and Project Diva F before buying Atlus, so maybe anything goes at this point?

I would not be opposed to this in any way, I can get them fairly easily living in the area around Tokyo, but to tie this back to Wii chat, most Japanese people I know don't have a Wii U, which is surprising considering Japan has a good sized Nintendo following. They do have more games for Wii U in Japan though, but still nowhere near what you would expect from a console that has been out as long as the Wii U.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

Unlike the Saturn and GC the Wii U is going to last a lot longer than five/six years. In that sense merely pulling even with them means they have done worse than them.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

How is the console looking at the moment? I'm thinking of grabbing one early next year and there are a few games that I want to get the console for.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Testekill posted:

How is the console looking at the moment? I'm thinking of grabbing one early next year and there are a few games that I want to get the console for.

You'd probably be better off looking over the Wii U Megathread than this one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Testekill posted:

How is the console looking at the moment?

Besides dead?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yes, the Wii U is dead. Ignore the highly-rated Mario game releasing today.

The Wii U is obviously destined to be a commercial flop barring a tiny miracle that brings it up to "ho-hum" levels of the Gamecube or N64, but that doesn't mean games have stopped coming out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It is doubtful that WiiU will have anything impressive that requires an active online community, so just wait for the thing to cost $99 and buy the cheap used single-player games then. The system is just going to get cheaper as Nintendo tries to eek out sales, wait for Nintendo's tenuously held-onto optimism to dry up and then get one if you insist.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Testekill posted:

I enjoy it. I've liked wind waker, looking forward to the Mario game coming out today, and the Wii Sports games. I never had a Wii or a Gamecube though and a game a month is a lot for me so keep that in mind.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Testekill posted:

Yeah, the actual Wii U discussion thread is here. This is the "how fast will the Wii U die?" thread.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Alteisen posted:

That's because Nintendo will not release a game that appeals to the West, but not Japan. Might as well give up hope for a new Metroid/F-ZERO.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

That loving Sned posted:

That's because Nintendo will not release a game that appeals to the West, but not Japan. Might as well give up hope for a new Metroid/F-ZERO.

They keep making console Zelda games though :confused:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TaurusOxford posted:

Besides dead?

Bu....but...but... Mario 3d World. :ohdear:

Crowbear posted:

They keep making console Zelda games though :confused:

And they refuse to release their plethora of Train Sims in America.

You do not know true joy unless you have played any of the Wii Train Sims.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That loving Sned posted:

I gave up hope for a new Metroid/F-zero a long time ago dude.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Jeffrey posted:

It is doubtful that WiiU will have anything impressive that requires an active online community.

I thought Dragon Quest X was doing pretty good in Japan.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

I thought Dragon Quest X was doing pretty good in Japan.

Uuuhhh no? Its sold miserably and all the consoles its been released in and I remember reading that retention was horrible as well.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Uuuhhh no? Its sold miserably and all the consoles its been released in and I remember reading that retention was horrible as well.

Wikipedia so who knows but

quote:

Dragon Quest X sold 420,311 copies its first week in Japan, low for a Dragon Quest game but well for an MMORPG.[40] It was the tenth best selling game of 2012 in Japan, selling over 609,783 copies.[41] In November 2012, Dragon Quest X exceeded 400,000 subscribers.[42][43] In its first week on sale, the Wii U version of the game sold 33,302 copies, coming in as the number 6 best selling game of that period.[44]

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
For what it's worth, I'm not sure many DQ fans wanted an MMO instead of a regular game. See also: The Old Republic.

For those asking, Wii U is not dead, it's slowly picking up a bit, and Super Mario 3D World just released today. If you want to buy a new system this year then the Wii U is easily a better choice than PS4 and Xbox One. Over the long term, probably not, but honestly, if it appeals to you and you like the selection of games, go for it. Letting the lovely sales numbers deter you does nothing but make the numbers even worse.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Wikipedia so who knows but

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123067-Dragon-Quest-X-Tanks-On-Wii-U

For a game series thats used to selling 2 million copies or more during the first few days of release, 420k is miserable. Also its an MMO, which means that most of the revenue comes from subs, which SE admitted to be disappointing.

vvv
Yeah, retention rates are how many people continue to sub after the free time is up.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 22, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea 420k is very bad for a DQ game, and by retention rates I assume subs.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Welps. I guess that means there's no way in hell we'll ever, ever see DQX in the states.

I wonder what they're going to do when DQXI inevitably comes out. Pretend that DQX never happened? Go through another Final Fantasy-esque numbering fiasco?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Welps. I guess that means there's no way in hell we'll ever, ever see DQX in the states.

I wonder what they're going to do when DQXI inevitably comes out. Pretend that DQX never happened? Go through another Final Fantasy-esque numbering fiasco?

It will probably be DQXI and be out for the 3ds instead.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chaltab posted:

Letting the lovely sales numbers deter you does nothing but make the numbers even worse.

If you told my childhood self that the N64 and Gamecube were failures because they had low sales, I would have not given a poo poo and continued playing Goldeneye.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

There's no reason to think the West would get DQXI at all. We didn't get the DQ7 remake.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

If the Wii U was $200 and came bundled with a Nintendo title I think a lot more people, myself included, would be interested. As it stands this thing is still seriously overpriced and underpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Astro7x posted:

If you told my childhood self that the N64 and Gamecube were failures because they had low sales, I would have not given a poo poo and continued playing Goldeneye.

Yes but the Gamecube and N64 weren't also a generation behind and $100 or more overpriced.

• Locked thread