Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Plague of Hats posted:

Shards came out in July and the Big Announcement about Onyx Path and EX3 and all that was in August. There's still a fair way to go before it hits two years.

Ah, sorry then, frustration is distorting my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

axelsoar posted:

Ah, sorry then, frustration is distorting my memory.

Meh. Remembering precise dates for this kind of stuff isn't something one should expect. Unless your engagement proposal is in it or something. :unsmith:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I'm doing something on my tumblr this week, where I'm writing an Exalted Artifact for each day. They aren't related TO the day or anything, instead it's just an artifact that I decided I want to write about that day. Some of them are based on legends or history or whatever, but all of them are connected to the Exalted universe regardless. I posted one yesterday- obviously-, but didn't cross it over to here, so I'll post that one today.

They don't have mechanics or anything, but I spent time working on their stories and implied the powers they could have.

Feel free to comment if you want, or not. I can also link my tumblr again if you want, but I think I posted it earlier in the thread.

I just figure some fluff to talk about might be nice right now in this thread.

Demon Thunder posted:

In the Primordial War, Iyutha, the Vitriolic Dragon, feasted upon the flesh of a Lesser Elemental Dragon of Air, whose voice was thunder and whose flesh was lightning. And in feasting upon this creature, the Vitriolic Dragon became greater, and her voice rent the sky, and Vitriol rained down onto the ground, and she spat hatred, and that hatred was Lightning and suffering. An inch from rebirth, from going from Iyutha, the Vitroilic Dragon to Iyutha, The Sky Render, Creation shook with what was sure to be the creation of a new Third Circle Demon.

But enlightenment was snatched from the Demon at the last moment. Wielding a blade like a lightning bolt, of jagged spikes and arcs, a Sidereal brought Iyutha’s screaming fury into the blade, and turned it against her, striking her down from her enlightenment, tearing the Dragon of Air from her stomach and dispersing it into nothing, casting Iyutha out of enlightenment and forever barring from the demon her chance at even higher glory.

This was the formation of Iyutha’s third Great Grudge- of which there are eight- Grudges she hates more then any other.

The Sidereal went on to accomplish many great things, but the blade became special. Named Demon Thunder after it was used in such a way, the Starmetal blade- as long as a person- would always be different. In between the spikes of lightning that go up and down the blade, lightning arcs at times, green, purple, and white. Though the blade is by itself longer, the power of the lightning makes it’s reach even greater, as it is said that it can reach from a mile to strike, so long as it can see it’s target, as lashes of lightning burst from the blade.

But the weapon is not perfect, indeed far from it. Though Demon Thunder uses the power of the storms, it offers no immunity from either it’s own powers, or the lightning storms that invariably gather around the wielder when it is drawn from it’s sheath. More then one wielder of this blade has met their end when they raise their blade for the final blow against an opponent, and are struck by lightning.

Perhaps that is part of Iyutha’s Grudge.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
Monday Meeting Notes:

RichT posted:

- Exalted 3rd Edition: While John hunkers down to rewrite the Charms chapter he is also changing some of the ways he’s been doing these to enable more to get finished, the rest of the team is working on a couple of EX3 chapters that continue to be finalized for Editing: Resistance is down and the Devs are ready to do some playtests with some groups they have gotten to know these past couple of years. And then after that fine-tuning they’d like to go with a wider group of external playtesters. Both EX3 novels as well as Zub’s EX3 Comic are in progress, Zub’s script is done and cover elements are up for review, and the EX3 Music Suites are being scoped out- the music team is thinking of putting up their own video diaries documenting the creation of the EX3 Suites. Links when I have them.
Playtesting begins! Not sure if those who will be participating know they have already been chosen, but if not then keep an ear out in case Mørke wants to give you material.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Oh sweet, now I'm not double posting.

Day 2 is a sword of immortals.

Avalon posted:

In the West, there is a saying, of those who are old, sick, or infirm. Of those on the last legs of their life. “I wish to see Avalon.” Though no one has seen Avalon, it fills the stories of the West, of a city of Orichalcum and Moonsilver that heals the sick, that mends the broken, that cures any problem.

The legends have shifted, but Avalon is real. But even were they to find it, it would not heal them.

Avalon is no city. It is a sword. of shining Orichalcum and flowing moonsilver, changing from moment to moment into a thousand different shapes, a thousand different blades. The only stable part is the core of Orichalcum, the hilt and center of the blade. Everything about it changes to the whims of it’s user, or to it’s own whims, as it has since the Shogunate. It was taken from the tomb of it’s first master by his reincarnation, and she fled to the West, where a Wyld Hunt took her down, but had to leave the blade, for they could not lift it.

This was a flaw, as they did not understand the power of Avalon. Avalon does not let it’s wielder die, unless they do not hold the blade. When they thought they had killed the Lunar who held the blade, evaporating her to nothingness, they did not truly do that. For a thousand years the weapon has stood, tip in the dirt, shifting this way and that, thorough a thousand different types, gathering Essence to restore it’s wielder. It does not protect from pain or suffering. It can only heal it’s user if they hold the blade, and it does not heal from truly devastating injuries fast. But it can heal anything, and a sliver of fingernail laying on the hilt is enough.

Eventually.

Day three is a weapon for people who want to win at any cost.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Stallion Cabana posted:

This is pretty cool. I am eager to see Artifacts be unique and differentiated in Exalted 3e.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Stallion Cabana posted:

Neat, will I be able to make up my own cool magic artifact?

realbrickwall
Mar 12, 2013

axelsoar posted:

Well, that's what HE'S doing, so I don't see why not?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

axelsoar posted:

I'm not a writer for the book or anything dude. I'm just posting artifacts I made as fluff because the thread and Winston said it was okay. If you are asking if posting your own magic artifacts in this thread is okay, then, again, I don't see why not?

Though saying that, from everything I have read, yes, you can make your own artifacts. Then you personalize them further with Evocations.

This one has a bad name, but I think it fits it better.

Bloody Harness posted:

It is a set of Soulsteel bars, three of them, to be precise, connected with links of Red Jade. It doesn’t seem so scary. It doesn’t seem worth it’s name. One of the bars is latched on the back of the collar, one on the chest, and one at the base of the back. It fits comfortably under clothing. When attuned, it grows slightly tighter for a moment, then relaxes. It does nothing else until the wielder is engaged in combat. Then spikes burst from the bars, stabbing through the wearer’s flesh, into each other. Several other spikes slide through the rest of the wearer’s body, causing significant pain. But it offers payment for the tribute.

After it’s activation, the Harness can extrude blades from any part of the user’s body. Spinning saws of Soulsteel tipped with burning red jade erupt from the wrist for the user to wield, while spears of soulsteel erupt out of the wearer’s shoulders and back to assault anyone who attempts to entire the user’s zone of control, it offers an almost complete defense against anyone who would attack her, while limiting her offensive actions only by the wielder’s imagination of how the blades can erupt. It is almost disturbingly effective when using the artifact to hurl oneself head first into a pile of enemies, and let the artifact slay them with a barrage of spikes bursting from your flesh.

That is not to say it does not hurt. The weapon causes intense pain when doing this. But what it demands is blood. Sacrifice drawn from those slain by the weapon, and it uses that blood to rebuild it’s user’s body, and to gorge itself. When it is well fed, the red jade of the harness glows and almost seems to flow like blood, warm like flesh blood.

Who would want, or desire such an artifact? Anyone with a desire to win at any cost, regardless of their own suffering, regardless of the scars that will cut their flesh.

Who would make such an artifact, and does it have some greater purpose? It is hard to say.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

realbrickwall posted:

Well, that's what HE'S doing, so I don't see why not?

I am retarded and thought he was posting a previewed artifact, so there is your input as to how good I think it is, I dig it.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Well thanks. That means a lot to me.

Today is a pointless novelty turned training instrument.

Vitreous Edge posted:

A sword made of pure adamant, save for the hilt, which is simply iron and leather, the Vitreous Edge is almost entirely invisible in motion, as the eyes of it’s opponent’s seem to slide away from the crystal blade.

This would seem to be an incredibly powerful advantage, making any swordsman who wields the blade unstoppable, but the blade is actually referred to often as ‘The Fool’s Blade’ or ‘The Pointless Edge’. The reasoning for this is simple, though it seems dumb.

The weapon offers no advantage against opponents of great skill at sword play or fighting, as those opponents long ago figured out how to see how an opponent is fighting even if they can not see the weapon, so it is only useful against opponents of extremely low skill or who the user outclasses so significantly that they could have defeated them even without the invisible blade. In the hands of most people, it would just be a novelty, useful to defeating people that could have already been defeated with greater ease.

However, the Sidereals are nothing if not inventive, and use the blade as a training tool. For new Sidereals, not yet used to their power, not yet supremely skilled in the mysteries of the Martial Arts, Vitreous Edge is a wonderful training tool, teaching them how to feel and be in-tune with every motion of the area surrounding them, how to increase their senses and understanding of the forces of the world, both when they wield it, and must use the feeling of their hands and the wind to know where the blade is going, and when their teacher uses the sword against them, where they must intuit where the blade will strike before it strikes them.

realbrickwall
Mar 12, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

Well thanks. That means a lot to me.

Today is a pointless novelty turned training instrument.

I know how I would use this.

Step one: run through a door.
Step two: immediately turn corner and go up against the door frame so you can't be seen
Step three: stick the invisible blade into the doorway at about neck height
Step four: *awesome face*

An eternally-sharp blade certainly outclasses saran wrap.

-----------

The Exalted Facebook page is asking for names for a Ride Charm that prevents a Solar from being dismounted. I have a feeling that my idea, "Sticky Thighs of the Sun Method", will not make it into the game. Any of you have better ones?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

realbrickwall posted:

I know how I would use this.

Step one: run through a door.
Step two: immediately turn corner and go up against the door frame so you can't be seen
Step three: stick the invisible blade into the doorway at about neck height
Step four: *awesome face*

An eternally-sharp blade certainly outclasses saran wrap.

-----------

The Exalted Facebook page is asking for names for a Ride Charm that prevents a Solar from being dismounted. I have a feeling that my idea, "Sticky Thighs of the Sun Method", will not make it into the game. Any of you have better ones?

I think Reign stole all the good ones here, looking at the Equine Unity spells.

So Exalted may be stuck with "gently caress it, I'm a centaur now" approach or something.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
Safety-From-Peasants Approach.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

realbrickwall posted:

"Golden Horde Saddle Technique"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wedding of the Horse and Calves.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
"Rider Needs No Stirrups"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
"Four Legs Good, Two Legs Bad."

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Blade And Horse Are One

(We have no Sanger smiley, so a :kamina: will have to do.)

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I took the GRE today then slept most of the day, so I am tired. But I am posting yesterday and today's artifacts anyway. Only one more after these two.

The Spiral posted:

In the white hot forges of Theion, the Primordial King, Ligier once forged a lance of a quality beyond words. The flames that melted the metal burned so hot that any color of the brass and steel was worn away, leaving only a burning white color. When charged with Essence, The Spiral could become a weapon of tremendous destruction, sending explosions of white fire across the battlefield when wielded by Ligier, melting flesh and metal- almost any metal- with the barest touch, so bright did it burn. It was a weapon of tremendous power, matched by his later creation of the Sword of the Yozi, but at the time of it’s creation, it was considered the greatest Artifact in existence.

It would be the last weapon forged in the heat of Theion’s White Forge, before he fell in the Primordial War. It was at this time that Ligier hurled the weapon into the abyss of Kimbery, never wishing to see it again, for it reminded him of his Greater Self’s- and his own- failures. He called it a symbol of his failure, and Kimbery’s depths held the Spear for several thousand years, unable to be destroyed, but none aware of it’s existence.

One of Kimbery’s Second Circles eventually found the weapon as it floated through the Acid Ocean of Kimbery, and retrieved it from the Primordial’s world body. When the demon was later summoned-in the First Age-, with The Spiral in hand, it caused a stir, to say the least, and infuriated Ligier. When the Second Circle Soul returned the Malfeas after its’ summoning was done, Ligier evaporated the demon from existence in his fury, reclaiming The Spiral as his own. But he found that, even after all this time, he could not stand to look upon the weapon that symbolized the failures of his war, so he gave it to one of his paramours, asking him to hide the weapon somewhere, so that it would never be at risk to be found again, so that the light of the sun would never touch it, and the Solar did as the Green Sun asked.

The weapon is incredibly powerful ,staggeringly so. It represents the highest artistry that the Green Sun could make, made with the very soul fire of the King of all Primordials. It is possible even Ligier is not aware of all the powers of the weapon, for he had only a short time to use the lance before he hurled it into the sea. Made of pure white metal- a type of metal no one could place, for it has no equal-, the head of the lance is infinitely spiraling, which aids in the transfer of Essence, and helps punch through even the thickest of armor like it is tissue, while the shaft was once inscribed with statements of Theion’s glory and of how the Primordial War was won, it has been seared off by Ligier, and now appears almost obviously plain.

General's Guard posted:

The power of a general is in their troops, for a general can not lead troops that do not exist. But at the same time, the power of the troops are in their general, for if they do not have a leader, they are no more then a mob.

The General’s Guard embodies both of these feelings, depending on how the user is fighting, giving it great versatility and power, making it a common artifact for leaders who have large amounts of troops under their command. There is no set appearance of a General’s Guard, rather it is a specific modification to artifact armors that can be placed on any type of armor.

The first power of the General’s Guard is protecting those under the wearer. When the wearer is commanding troops, those under his guard may replace their armor with his, taking the traits of his armor rather then what they wear. This requires increasing the mote commitment if needed, and any extras that can not be paid may be paid by some other member of the army or the general itself, depending on the choice of the General.

The second power of the General’s Guard is protecting the general using the power of his underlings. By paying an additional mote cost, the General can add a number of bashing and lethal soak to his armor equal to the magnitude of his commanded troops. The spirits of his men seem to rise to protect the general from harm while it does this.

However, the General’s Guard can not do both at once. They must either choose to forfeit their protection for their armies’, or the armies’ for their own. But for those who can not bring their armies with them at all times, there is sentimental value, and true protection, in being able to feel the spirits of your men under you, wishing for your safety.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Oh hey there, charm previews:

John Morke posted:

Salty Dog Method
Cost: --; Mins: Sail 3, Essence 1; Type: Permanent
Keywords: None
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: None
The Solar is the consummate mariner, seasoned by hardships, tried by adversity and proven true. This Charm gives the Exalt the following advantages:
• The Solar’s expertise often saves the ship. Reroll any 6s in the result of a Sail roll until 6s no longer appear.
• She is inured to supernatural horror. Fear effects caused by monsters, behemoths, demons, Yozis, and other existentially terrifying beings have less of an effect. Add half the Exalt’s Sail (rounded up) to her Resolve against such influence.
• If she fails a balance check on land or sea, she still falls down, but then she immediately falls up, landing on her feet. In addition, she can never fall from a ship. Even the most stumble-footed bastard will find a way to keep from going overboard.
• By land or by sea, the Exalt knows the exact distance and route to somewhere she has been before.

Black Fathoms Blessed
Cost: 10m, 1wp; Mins: Sail 5, Essence 3; Type: Simple
Keywords: None
Duration: One scene
Prerequisite Charms: ???
The Exalt taps deeply of her Essence, merging ship, sea and self into one form. For the rest of the scene, as long as she is on her ship, add the vessel’s Speed as automatic successes to her movement actions, and the ship’s Maneuverability to her defenses. Any magic which increases these values cannot increase the bonus to these traits by more than +1 each. In addition, regardless of whether she is aboard her ship, she may speak in an ancient maritime tongue that is instinctually understood by oceanic spirits, aquatic raksha, and members of the Niobraran League. She may drink salt water as if it were fresh, and though she can be incapacitated by drowning, she can never die by being submerged, neither from running out of oxygen or by the crushing weight of the depths.

The rerolling thing is weird.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

... Hmm? I don't quite understand the rerolling 6s thing. Assuming the game is still d10s, with a success at 7+... does it only let you reroll die that land on a 6?

I like the courage boost against supernatural horror tho. Popeye the Sailor should totally be able to look at Cthulhu in the eye before punching it.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Kerzoro posted:

... Hmm? I don't quite understand the rerolling 6s thing. Assuming the game is still d10s, with a success at 7+... does it only let you reroll die that land on a 6?

Seems to be. So statistically that's about one re-roll for every ten dice you roll, on average. (Technically slightly higher odds, since you reroll again if the new dice comes up six.)

A small bonus in the grand scheme of things, but the reroll doesn't really seem like the main point of the charm.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

for the second one, I don't get what it's saying. That even if the ship has 3 speed, it only adds +1 to her movement actions, despite what the charm says right before it, because +1 is the cap, or you can only add +1 to the listed values in addition to the charm?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Stallion Cabana posted:

for the second one, I don't get what it's saying. That even if the ship has 3 speed, it only adds +1 to her movement actions, despite what the charm says right before it, because +1 is the cap, or you can only add +1 to the listed values in addition to the charm?

The +1 is a cap on synergy with any other ability that increases the speed of the ship.

So some other move or gizmo that doubles your boatspeed wouldn't turn around into doubling the bonus successes Black Fathoms provides.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

A_Raving_Loon posted:

The +1 is a cap on synergy with any other ability that increases the speed of the ship.

So some other move or gizmo that doubles your boatspeed wouldn't turn around into doubling the bonus successes Black Fathoms provides.

Yeah, that's how I'm reading it too. It's there to inhibit excessive scrabbling for every available speed bonus.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I really hope they walk back the six rerolling thing, it looks like one of those fiddly little bonuses which are both tedious to implement and rarely impactful BUT theoretically capable of swinging high-stakes rolls and therefore one of the boxes you have to check when building for combat.

Like, there's a Sail Excellency already for increasing your chances of passing a sail check, right? And you even get it for free if Sail's favored? Something as slathered in passive bullet points as Salty Dog Method does not need additional +.03% success chances hanging off it, especially if the "we're not confident our Charm is attractive unless it boosts your stats" mechanic starts showing up elsewhere as an expected component of character competence.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Some more comments: these charms are a lot denser, in general, than the other ones we saw. Like, those Socialize Charms seemed to have pretty clear, single uses. My suspicion is that this is an attempt to compensate for the fact that Sail is every Exalted player's go-to example of an Ability that isn't as good as Melee and therefore needs a lot more pizzazz. It could be that they've decided to cut down on the lengths of Charm trees and pack more functionality into each individual Charm, but it sure looked like the opposite was true from other previews.

I was a little perplexed by the second Charm's language/survival bonuses duct-taped onto a set of combat bonuses, but the more I think about it the more I really like it. I hope we get a lot of combat charms with express out of combat utility and vice versa, so there's less ability for players to specialize themselves out of the ability to play in the same scenes as other players.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'm really not a fan of boosting defenses and speed by the qualities of your boat because, hey, now we have to make sure boats don't have stupidly high Speed or Maneuverability, but I'm not ruling out the possibility they've thought of this and have put charm caps already in place for this sort of thing. That said, I like the flexibility of the charms because previous Sail charms were not worth the xp investment unless you were really dedicated to being "that guy with a boat". However, rerolling 6s is annoyingly fiddly and I'm not sure what falling up means exactly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I like Salty Dog Method, because it's an interesting example of a niche charm made broad enough that you don't feel like you've wasted a charm slot if the game avoids boats for a session. However, I'd agree that the last thing Exalted needs is additional rolling steps.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ithle01 posted:

That said, I like the flexibility of the charms because previous Sail charms were not worth the xp investment unless you were really dedicated to being "that guy with a boat".

On the other hand, the way they seem to be approaching the matter of Sail charms being niche and narrow is to sweeten them with all sorts of bonuses that are only sort of related to things to do with sailing in order to make them more appealing. "Have a Sail charm that gives you incredible balance, fear resistance, and sense of direction. No, you don't actually have to be sailing or doing anything nautical while you're at it." Like, those are nice and all but it kind of feels like you're being bribed into taking it.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I imagine the 'falls up' is a bit of word humour.

The charm seems pretty good to me. For light xp investment you get to be the perfect Sailor, something of which the Solar Exalted should be. After all, most Solars should be able to maneuver through rocky shoals or (if Sail is still used if your flying) glide through turbulent winds. As a perfect sailor, you shouldn't let something as almost succeeding (rolling a 6) get in your way. You either do or do not. There is no almost.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

On the other hand, the way they seem to be approaching the matter of Sail charms being niche and narrow is to sweeten them with all sorts of bonuses that are only sort of related to things to do with sailing in order to make them more appealing. "Have a Sail charm that gives you incredible balance, fear resistance, and sense of direction. No, you don't actually have to be sailing or doing anything nautical while you're at it." Like, those are nice and all but it kind of feels like you're being bribed into taking it.

I get the sense here that it's less 'this has something to do with sailing' than it's 'this has something to do with being a mythical sailor'. Which, if they treat the rest of the charm trees the same way, I think I'll very much like.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That could be it, and seeing the greater Charm tree probably provides a better picture of the context. I just thought it was kind of weird that 3/4ths of a Sail charm is stuff that you don't ever need to go on open water to benefit from.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I agree, but I always thought it was stupid that your superhuman acumen just stops functioning the moment you step onto dry land. "These charms only work when you're at sea" was intuitive but honestly pretty idiotic in actual play. "I know you literally can't fall off anything on your ship, but for some reason you have a hard time on this rickety wooden bridge."

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 27, 2013

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah, Sail should definitely give you skills useful on ships rather than skills only usable on ships. What throws me isn't the applicability of each Charm to landlubbing but the fact that each Charm is a constellation of like four different effects. I'd gotten the idea that Ex3 would have more, "smaller" Charms on average.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

That could be it, and seeing the greater Charm tree probably provides a better picture of the context. I just thought it was kind of weird that 3/4ths of a Sail charm is stuff that you don't ever need to go on open water to benefit from.

I'd rather that that kind of halfway meeting than characters specialties being useless in a wide variety of situations. The old Exalted dilemma is that you had certain charm tress that dominated action scenes, and entire other trees that dominated downtime, and you ended up specialized in action scenes or specialized in downtime, or being mediocre (for an Exalt) at both. Hopefully there'll be more of a middle ground this time around.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm gonna go ahead and say I like it, but I will never ever remember the goofy sixes thing is even supposed to happen. I am basically never in favor of nerfing things in Exalted but I might take that out of my game just because it's fiddly and kind of useless, unless you just loving hate the number six.

I would go so far as to say I want the first charm in every tree to look a lot like this, with a bundle of "You are the mythic exemplar of a practitioner of thing" benefits, with a lot of crazy depth and weirdness in the deeper(:v:) Charms where you can go to the blackest depths of the West and merge with a boat and talk to Kraken-Men. Which does lead me to ask why you can't breathe underwater with that Charm, unless that happens elsewhere in the tree or it's just too goddamn Water Aspect for a Solar charm. I would kind of like some kind of Circle-affecting charm that throws in an easy "Everyone can go on the underwater adventure" effect so the Storyteller doesn't have to deal with it.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I think it would have sounded less weird if it was rerolling any 1's instead of 6's. That would be easier to remember as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

For all we know further Charms enhance specific aspects of the intro Charm. Maybe the higher tier lets you reroll a bunch of poo poo and not just 6's. That would actually be kind of cool - low-tier Charms provide wide, base-level competence, with the branches of the tree allowing further specialization. For instance a branch that renders fear a non-issue, a branch that goes for super-balance and so on. It would encourage players to dip into other Charm trees and take Charms near the start of the tree, which is what all the books have always told you to do but nobody does it because it's super suboptimal.

• Locked thread