Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Good update! Happy it went well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Did the surgeon make any notes on grumpiness?!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

a travelling HEGEL posted:

YESSS

embarassed about this but I prayed for Gizmo last night.

hail satan

yay gizmo!

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

flyboi posted:

Oh my god I could do a backflip right now. Surgeon just called and said the procedure went very well and that it was better than over 70% of the cases he had run into. He expects that the pathology report will have very good margins and he did not see any indication that it had spread. He said he was very appreciative of both my vet and myself's diligence in keeping up in her health and he expects a very good outcome for Gizmo.

Never had tears of joy before but I can't stop crying from being so elated.

Yay! That's great news!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lol at having emotions.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
yay gizmo

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

flyboi posted:

Oh my god I could do a backflip right now. Surgeon just called and said the procedure went very well and that it was better than over 70% of the cases he had run into. He expects that the pathology report will have very good margins and he did not see any indication that it had spread. He said he was very appreciative of both my vet and myself's diligence in keeping up in her health and he expects a very good outcome for Gizmo.

hot drat

duTrieux. posted:

lol at having emotions.

quiet you

Mr. Noseybonk fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 23, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

flyboi posted:

gonna be some :pwn: pics for a while though... surgeon said that they had to shave the entire half of her head that the procedure was done on

at least there will be some humor in this emotional ordeal

I wish i'd taken more pics of cabot looking stupid after his surgery and in his baby onesie as he was recovering, so dont make my mistake - take many many pics!

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 23, 2013

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

flyboi posted:

I'm really really glad to hear this! Gizmo is an awesome kitty and I bet she'll live thirty years through sheer grump.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Yay for Gizmo!

Was the procedure done on only one ear? Or both?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
just one, the oncologist said the cancer normally only happens in one. the surgeon said he saw some things in the other ear but they looked like remenants from previous infections. they aspirated then and sent some tissue with the other ear for a pathology report. i only wanted to do the other ear if absolutely necessary

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
One eared Gizmo taking yoscatte disfigurements to a whole new level. Seeing poo poo we've never seen before.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
she still has the pointed part just the hole is sewn shut

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

flyboi posted:

she still has the pointed part just the hole is sewn shut

since i know shitall about cancer or surgery what exactly does this accomplish

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Raskolnikov38 posted:

presumably they removed the tumor so it can't spread

super happy to hear gizmo did well!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
gizmo :unsmith:

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

Flyboi, I'm in an arty mood at the moment and thinking I'd like to draw Gizmo. Any requests?

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

rocketpig posted:

Flyboi, I'm in an arty mood at the moment and thinking I'd like to draw Gizmo. Any requests?

draw her as teddy-santa's "happy" little elf

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Raskolnikov38 posted:

apologies for typos, my phone doesnt correct spelling anymore.

first thing is what cancer is. the cells in your body are coded to stop dividing when certain proteins and blahblahblah. basically a cancer cell is immortal. they will never stop growing and depending on the type they spread based on a lot of factors. a tumor is a mass of cancerous or fat cells that have collected and grown outside the norm. a binine tumor is one that was just a collection of cells but ceased growing. the growth doesnt spread and so long as the patient is ok living it can just be there. malignint tumors are cancerous cells that will never stop dividing and replicating. depening on the kind they can spread through the lymphatic or vascular system to other locations and become other forms.

so your ear has 3 areas - inner, middle and outer. the procedure took all the cartalige and tissue from the outer ear canal up to a bone where the middle ear starts. this doesnt affect the ear drum and she can still hear but since theres no more tissue or cartalige for protection the hole is sewen shut and is just a sterile hole behind the skin. she can still hear out of the ear but it's like theres an ear plug stuck in there.

she had cancer on the gland in your outer ear that makes ear wax and oil to keep your ear canal clean. the procedure is intended to provide a large enough removal of tissue to provide what are called clean margins to ensure the cancer did not spread. when a pathologist looks at tissue they give a margin rating which is the depth of how far into the tissue the cancer has penetrated. clean margins means that based off the tissue sample there was a large enough wall of healthy tissue from the cancer to say that it was fully removed.

so in short if the pathology report cones back with clean margins gizmo is cancer free

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
pro informative post right there

also

flyboi posted:

a binine tumor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_0t3itWLw0

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

gently caress YEAH GIZMO

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Yesterday I had a poo poo day with really lovely news given to me. This Gizmo report really makes me super happy. Flyboi You do so much for your little buddy and she is really lucky to have you. Gunna go give Elmer some skritchens.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

flyboi posted:

gizmo is not a fan of fireworks

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

hooray gizmo! hooray flyboi! hooray cat surgeon!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

thanks, i was thinking sewing it shut would make it harder to check if it comes back but i see that shouldnt be an issue if the margin is right as you said.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

rocketpig posted:

if he doesnt say the cat drugs one hes mad

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

flyboi posted:

hail satan

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
cat drugs is one of my favorites but also the one with her resting her head on the box is probably my favorite.. im out blowing off the weight of all this crap tonight so i cant find the pic but whichever you do ill like it anyways

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

flyboi posted:

cat drugs is one of my favorites but also the one with her resting her head on the box is probably my favorite.. im out blowing off the weight of all this crap tonight so i cant find the pic but whichever you do ill like it anyways

get drunk, you've earned it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

saw a bunch of posts, remembered gizmo was getting surgery, thought something bad happened, but no, the opposite!

have some leo meowing for tuna, and by meowing i mean one squeak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2iZHkB6b8

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
yay gizmo!

thank you flyboi for taking such good care of her.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yeahhhh gizmo. Can't wait to see those pics

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

gently caress YEAH GIZMO

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
hooray for gizmo!! :woop:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
yay Gizmo! Yay cat surgeon! Yay flyboy! Hooray for things and swift catte recovery

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

lol at having emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Hooray Gizmo!

I have become motivated to post my little furniture shredders.