Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

gariig posted:

You can also get the Tylt from T-Mobile for $50 with coupon ACCOFFER18. My wife wanted one and it's shipping to us now so a couple of my Nokia Qi chargers are going back to AT&T.

Oh, sweet. I had been considering the Nokia ones, but I ordered one of these instead. Best I had seen for the Tylt was like $70 before and I wasn't going to pay that much for a charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
hotsauce having ADHD again. Why am I not surprised. Counting the days until he has another Nexus 5.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

hotsauce having ADHD again. Why am I not surprised. Counting the days until he has another Nexus 5.

Haha, nah. I genuinely wasn't impressed with the N5. Besides, if I commit to Republic, I'll be in CDMA hell. But for the price and the ability to tether via wifi to my work iPad while in the boonies, I may be okay with that. I could even get my bill down to $5/month since I always have my iPad with me. That's nuts.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009
How long does it usually take to get a Nexus 5 from order to delivery in the US? Both of my sisters need new phones and if they arrive in time they'd make nice Christmas presents for them.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

zerocrash posted:

How long does it usually take to get a Nexus 5 from order to delivery in the US? Both of my sisters need new phones and if they arrive in time they'd make nice Christmas presents for them.
I ordered mine on Halloween and received it on the 5th and I used the slowest shipping option.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I ordered mine on Halloween and received it on the 5th and I used the slowest shipping option.

:laffo:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Ditto, although when I purchased it the entry said the eighth, it arrived on the 5th.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

My Nexus Wireless Charger will be here next week and I'll do a "review" of it which will probably be "I put my things on it and it charged them."

I honestly am interested in how the official charger is, especially regarding the embedded magnets. I want another charger to put elsewhere in my apartment, and I'd like to know if it's worth the extra money over just buying another WCP-300 for $40

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does the Nexus 4 have magnets in it? I looked at the iFixit teardown, but couldn't really tell, and they didn't mention any.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Marques Brownlee somehow got his hands on the LG G Flex phone... i'm really digging how it looks, wonder if the screen is more crack resistant since you can flex it so much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-W66HINFLg

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Viper915 posted:

I honestly am interested in how the official charger is, especially regarding the embedded magnets. I want another charger to put elsewhere in my apartment, and I'd like to know if it's worth the extra money over just buying another WCP-300 for $40

I don't think the official charger or the Nexus 4 have magnets to hold the phone in place, people were mistaking that with the induction coil used for the EM field if I recall correctly. One of the problems people had with the official charger is that because there was no magnet and the phone has a glass back, the grips on many units would let the phone slip over time and it would end up falling out of position without fully charging. It was an easy fix though, basically a $1 plastic skin on the back then it's fine since plastic on plastic gripped well.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 23, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Mister Fister posted:

Marques Brownlee somehow got his hands on the LG G Flex phone... i'm really digging how it looks, wonder if the screen is more crack resistant since you can flex it so much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-W66HINFLg

"somehow" as in, LG sent him one? That was way overly positive about the phone. Was he just trying to demo the healing features and will actually review the phone later?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

What is the best way to get a Moto X on T-Mobile prepaid? Do I have to pay the $600 or whatever the gently caress for a developer edition?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

IuniusBrutus posted:

What is the best way to get a Moto X on T-Mobile prepaid? Do I have to pay the $600 or whatever the gently caress for a developer edition?

Motomaker lets you do a prepaid Moto X, so you can get a customized one. But yeah, $550+tax (for the 32gb version, at least).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 23, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

api call girl posted:

Motomaker lets you do a prepaid Moto X, so you can get a customized one. But yeah, $550+tax (for the 32gb version, at least).

You can finance one directly through Motorola now, which makes things easier, especially since you can't finance phones through T-Mo for prepaid.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Swappa, eBay, local or buy a Dev edition from Moto?

Oddly enough, Swappa listings for the Dev edition and T-Mo have all but stopped and new listings are very expensive.

3 weeks ago, you could get a barely used Dev edition for $420 - $470. Now there are hardly any listings and when there are, they are expensive.

Supply and demand. There aren't a lot of Moto X sellers. There are a ton of Nexus 5's on Swappa. Yes, I crowbared a Nexus 5 into this post, only to make a point about how great the X is.

Anecdotal? Yes. But it suggests something interesting to me about the X.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 23, 2013

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.
My S4 just spontaneously deleted all the photos I took over the last week and uninstalled at least one app, all while sitting on a desk untouched.

Between that and the new Knox security bullshit popping up whenever I try to do something dangerous like connect to wifi I'm ready to sell this turd and buy an N5. Or are those a pile of poo poo too?

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't think the official charger or the Nexus 4 have magnets to hold the phone in place, people were mistaking that with the induction coil used for the EM field if I recall correctly. One of the problems people had with the official charger is that because there was no magnet and the phone has a glass back, the grips on many units would let the phone slip over time and it would end up falling out of position without fully charging. It was an easy fix though, basically a $1 plastic skin on the back then it's fine since plastic on plastic gripped well.

hooah posted:

Does the Nexus 4 have magnets in it? I looked at the iFixit teardown, but couldn't really tell, and they didn't mention any

Neither the Nexus 4 nor its official charger have magnets, however the Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2013), and the newly released official charger all do have magnets. I have both of the latter devices, so I'm curious about how the new charger works, with magnets, to know if it's worth purchasing over a second WCP 300.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Im really liking this Moto G thing. The 0,5 inch of screen size increase compared to the Iphone 5 is pretty nice. I'm not a fan of giant sized phones so 4,5 inch seems perfect. The screens pretty nice too. It gets a bit darker at extreme viewing angles but its not like use my phone that way so who cares.
I also like the replaceable back cover. My iPhone is scratched to hell because i dont use cases and its nice knowing that i can just put on a new shell on the Moto G when i gently caress this one up. (although im always afraid i will snap the back in half when i take it off. The build quality is pretty good but when you take the back of its just a razor thin piece of plastic.)
So far im annoyed by two or three things it (obviously) does different than iOS but i guess thats just because i'm so used to Apple phones.
Cameras is pretty poo poo though...but i have a Sony NEX if i want to take photos that don't look like poo poo so who cares.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Shai-Hulud posted:

Im really liking this Moto G thing.
Yeah I'm quite impressed with it as well, for the money it really is superb.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
What's the difference between the $1 and $10 screen protectors? I'm looking at picking one up for the moto x, but don't know which to get.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Loucks posted:

My S4 just spontaneously deleted all the photos I took over the last week and uninstalled at least one app, all while sitting on a desk untouched.

Between that and the new Knox security bullshit popping up whenever I try to do something dangerous like connect to wifi I'm ready to sell this turd and buy an N5. Or are those a pile of poo poo too?

Don't you have it set to backup your photos to G+ or Dropbox? If not you totally should.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Super Dude posted:

What's the difference between the $1 and $10 screen protectors? I'm looking at picking one up for the moto x, but don't know which to get.

I haven't used a screen protector in a couple years, but some are soft plastic that do not offer a smooth sliding surface, while others are hard plastic that slide smoothly. Some are somewhat clear, some are very clear. Both types scratch and scuff easily. Unless you habitually keep your phone in your pocket or bag with keys and change, or in a sandy dirty environment, you don't need one at all.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.

SB35 posted:

Don't you have it set to backup your photos to G+ or Dropbox? If not you totally should.

Yeah, they are backed up on Drive. I'm not missing any data, I'm just really unimpressed with this device ever since the 4.3 "update."

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm not impressed with 4.3 on the S3 either. I'm not sure if it is Android or something Samsung did with 4.3, if I have my phone on silent, it will vibrate on new emails even if I have it set to no vibration. I've seen people suggest to put it on silent under notifications but that's a bit pointless if I take it off of silent. Really annoying during the work day when I have it on silent and it's vibrating a ton from emails.

Edit: forgot to mention that the music player forgets position after leaving it for more than a minute or two. Ugh. Would the T-Mobile N5 have their wifi calling app installed on it?

calandryll fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 23, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

calandryll posted:

Would the T-Mobile N5 have their wifi calling app installed on it?

Nope. The N5 will be entirely unbranded standard.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

I really need to learn to start making backups before installing system updates. Just lost all my phone data for the third time this year.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

calandryll posted:

I'm not impressed with 4.3 on the S3 either. I'm not sure if it is Android or something Samsung did with 4.3, if I have my phone on silent, it will vibrate on new emails even if I have it set to no vibration. I've seen people suggest to put it on silent under notifications but that's a bit pointless if I take it off of silent. Really annoying during the work day when I have it on silent and it's vibrating a ton from emails.

Edit: forgot to mention that the music player forgets position after leaving it for more than a minute or two. Ugh. Would the T-Mobile N5 have their wifi calling app installed on it?
If I remember correctly, that was a "feature" added Android 4.3 (or 4.2?) in general - vibrate on every notification that would normally make a sound regardless of individual app settings. I know CM has an option to turn it off, I don't remember if it's in AOSP or not but I know the option doesn't exist in TouchWiz right now.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

calandryll posted:

I read a few days ago that they delayed the 4.3 update in the UK because a ton of people who got it in the US were having issues. cm10.2 has been running fine on my s3 for a few months now so it's definitely whatever crap Samsung is doing.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Might be the Knox thing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Here's what I want for Android: A restricted multitasking model for selected apps. Let me chose whether an app is allowed to run in background or whether it should be suspended at all times. Like this we finally could tell apps like Facebook to gently caress off and stop eating battery.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Here's what I want for Android: A restricted multitasking model for selected apps. Let me chose whether an app is allowed to run in background or whether it should be suspended at all times. Like this we finally could tell apps like Facebook to gently caress off and stop eating battery.

So, Greenify, but on a system level

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

XIII posted:

So, Greenify, but on a system level

That's pretty much the first thing I thought of.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Combat Pretzel posted:

While Facebook is a huge offender I actually haven't had any trouble with the app lately. Play services uses way more than anything else.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Facebook beta client seems more or less ok, i.e. not actively awful.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So the iOS model? Isn't full preemptive multitasking a big sell for techno nerds who want android?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Malcolm XML posted:

So the iOS model? Isn't full preemptive multitasking a big sell for techno nerds who want android?

He said let him choose if it can run background. Doesn't ios only allow background processes for what Apple chooses?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Malcolm XML posted:

In general, yes, that's what we want, but you get the occasional lovely app that doesn't play nicely, and it would be handy to be able to tell the OS "Don't let this guy run in the background because he doesn't know how to behave".

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
This discussion is pretty funny, only because Google Play Services is one of the worst offenders of draining your battery and keeping your phone awake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

The iOS model optionally. By default, Android should continue to assume full multitasking, just let me change it to foreground only in the Play Store and/or the apps settings. Similar to allowing you to disable background data for offending apps.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This discussion is pretty funny, only because Google Play Services is one of the worst offenders of draining your battery and keeping your phone awake.
After disabling high precision location, Play Services stopped being a pain in the rear end, despite leaving location reporting on. For now, anyway, who knows what happens next update.

• Locked thread