Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hollismason posted:

They never said his last name just his first, so I dunno where you got Gold from. There's a couple of supervillians I think in DC that have that first name.

The synopsis for the two-parter with Barry Allen mentions the full name and clearly means that dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I saw it through TVGuide

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Disney never owned the show, in fact SSM was off the air before Disney even bought Marvel. It got canceled because Sony sold all their animation rights on Marvel characters back to Marvel. However, Sony retained the rights to SSM, and its character designs, storylines, etc, so they got stuck where neither Marvel or Sony could produce it. Additionally, it was got hosed over even before the Marvel/Sony deal by switching networks from the CW to Disney XD in between seasons, which lost it a lot of viewers/ratings (because a lot of people don't even get Disney XD).
This isn't really happened either. What happened was that Spectacular aired at the tail end of Kids WB's life. After its first season, it was left without a home. By the time that it started airing on Disney XD it was pretty much shutdown, but not cancelled which was never a good sign. Basically, the whole production would have to rebooted and would have been if it was successful on XD. I mean, yes, the rights stuff is true, but the show was dead before season 2 aired.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
Josh Keaton has probably the best Young Spidey voice I've ever heard.

For Adult Spidey I've got to give it to Christopher Daniel Barnes, though. I don't know if it's just nostalgia because it's the cartoon I grew up with, but eh.

(NPH was pretty good, too, even though his cartoon sucked.)

Billy Idle fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 22, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Timeless Appeal posted:

This isn't really happened either. What happened was that Spectacular aired at the tail end of Kids WB's life. After its first season, it was left without a home. By the time that it started airing on Disney XD it was pretty much shutdown, but not cancelled which was never a good sign. Basically, the whole production would have to rebooted and would have been if it was successful on XD. I mean, yes, the rights stuff is true, but the show was dead before season 2 aired.

I thought it was that, and that Loeb is of the opinion that arc shows are somehow really bad and confuse people and that stand alone is much better.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

e X posted:

I thought it was that, and that Loeb is of the opinion that arc shows are somehow really bad and confuse people and that stand alone is much better.
No, it really wasn't. That stuff sort of damned it from never coming back, but once again, they let everyone go a good deal of time before season 2 aired and before all this happened. I'm sure Weisman fought for it, but it was a losing battle without all that stuff. If Kids WB had stuck around then they probably would have run into issues down the line, but also they probably would have produced a third season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So what was the exact reasoning for cancelling Earth's Mightiest Heroes? I remember them doing a format change between seasons because of the "kids don't follow story arcs!" nonsense, but it really felt like they rushed through the last season and then murdered it for the garbage we have now.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Well, it's worth remembering that EMH had a 52 episode run which for a lot of people is the magic number for ending a children's cartoon. Batman Beyond, Justice League before its rebranding, X-men: Evolution, and a lot of other shows have followed that rule. Hell, if Spectacular Spider-Man had been allowed to continue, Weisman had no illusions of going past a fourth season. There are exceptions, both The Batman and Brave and the Bold went to 65, and then you run into something like Advenutre Time that'll probably go as long as there is money to milk. Hell, Samurai Jack famously lacked an actual ending because it assumed it might be allowed to live beyond 52.

Still, 52 is a healthy run. They had a new direction even if that new direction sucks. I don't think anyone considered they were committing some atrocity.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
And now there's a lovely replacement series that will be allowed to run for another 52 episodes. A sort of...new 52, you might say.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

So what was the exact reasoning for cancelling Earth's Mightiest Heroes? I remember them doing a format change between seasons because of the "kids don't follow story arcs!" nonsense, but it really felt like they rushed through the last season and then murdered it for the garbage we have now.

They also wanted all the shows to be in the same continuity to cram in guest appearances and whatnot.

I understand animation, especially targeted at kids, doesn't lend itself to a long running epic series and whatnot. But I wish Marvel would let Weismann or someone produce some quality direct-to-DVD stuff rather than the complete garbage they've put out.

The only good one I've ever watched was Wolverine vs Hulk, and even that was paired with a lovely Hulk vs Thor thing.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I understand animation, especially targeted at kids, doesn't lend itself to a long running epic series and whatnot. But I wish Marvel would let Weismann or someone produce some quality direct-to-DVD stuff rather than the complete garbage they've put out.

Really? Because, when I was a kid, the cartoons I watched were stuff like 90s Spiderman and Xmen, which had fairly hefty story arcs, and then you have the DCAU stuff that, while still episodic, went for nice arcs every now and then. And not even mentioning the popularity of a lot of shounen anime that are very explicitly very long running series.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Prison Warden posted:

And not even mentioning the popularity of a lot of shounen anime that are very explicitly very long running series.

Yeah, execs worrying about multi-episode story arcs when popular poo poo like Naruto and Bleach have arcs that last for dozens of episodes is amusing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

DFu4ever posted:

Yeah, execs worrying about multi-episode story arcs when popular poo poo like Naruto and Bleach have arcs that last for dozens of episodes is amusing.

And Dragonball Z and Gundam before those. They basically ignored popular shows both domestic and international when they pulled that analysis out of their asses.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
As a general rule nothing film and television execs worry about ever has anything to do with the reality we live in. Their job is basically just thinking of things people will like, which is incredibly trivial and easy for anyone to do, so the only way to distinguish themselves and get promoted is by being wrong all the time in increasingly creative ways.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Timeless Appeal posted:

Well, it's worth remembering that EMH had a 52 episode run which for a lot of people is the magic number for ending a children's cartoon. Batman Beyond, Justice League before its rebranding, X-men: Evolution, and a lot of other shows have followed that rule. Hell, if Spectacular Spider-Man had been allowed to continue, Weisman had no illusions of going past a fourth season. There are exceptions, both The Batman and Brave and the Bold went to 65, and then you run into something like Advenutre Time that'll probably go as long as there is money to milk. Hell, Samurai Jack famously lacked an actual ending because it assumed it might be allowed to live beyond 52.

Still, 52 is a healthy run. They had a new direction even if that new direction sucks. I don't think anyone considered they were committing some atrocity.
Isn't the 52 rule because by then the show starts getting too expensive to make a profit or some BS?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

achillesforever6 posted:

Isn't the 52 rule because by then the show starts getting too expensive to make a profit or some BS?

The common wisdom is that 52/65 episodes is a kind of golden number for syndication; it gives you enough content to put the show in infinite reruns without kids noticing the repetition, which means you can keep making money on it without the cost of actually producing more episodes. I think it's also the number most stations want in order to pick a show up for syndication.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Since I will never get sick of saying it if you are not watching Arrow you really should be because along with introducing even more comic characters this weeks episode managed to perfectly do the most cliched comic book twist and it was awesome.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Waterhaul posted:

Since I will never get sick of saying it if you are not watching Arrow you really should be because along with introducing even more comic characters this weeks episode managed to perfectly do the most cliched comic book twist and it was awesome.

There are some parts of the world where cliches are just an illusion.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

They also do fan service the proper way, which is to ditch the things that weren't working last year and focus on what does.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, I have no idea why but Shield is a solid idea, well rooted in the comics world, and is just bland and generic. Arrow is dumber than poo poo in so many ways, but I actually enjoy it. The last episode I saw had a former army command refuse to shoot the man he had been hunting down because HONOR! But it was a fine episode.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, I have no idea why but Shield is a solid idea, well rooted in the comics world, and is just bland and generic. Arrow is dumber than poo poo in so many ways, but I actually enjoy it. The last episode I saw had a former army command refuse to shoot the man he had been hunting down because HONOR! But it was a fine episode.

It wasn't about honor. The episode and really the first season's theme is that revenge, like what Ollie sought in the first season, is self-destructive and pointless.

Arrow is a wonderful example that cliches actually work when used correctly.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

SirDan3k posted:

It wasn't about honor. The episode and really the first season's theme is that revenge, like what Ollie sought in the first season, is self-destructive and pointless.

Arrow is a wonderful example that cliches actually work when used correctly.

This is even better now that Malcolm is back. He's pretty much the poster boy for 'broken and living for revenge'.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its funny, cartoons made to sell toys ALWAYS had multi part stories in them. GI Joe for example had at least 4 of them.

I only just saw an episode of Avengers Assemble, and its weird, some stuff is movie like, but at the same time things are also comic like, like Hawkeye's outfit is his current comics one rather than his movie one. I didn't realize it was supposed to be in the same universe as Ultimate Spiderman.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Its funny, cartoons made to sell toys ALWAYS had multi part stories in them. GI Joe for example had at least 4 of them.

I only just saw an episode of Avengers Assemble, and its weird, some stuff is movie like, but at the same time things are also comic like, like Hawkeye's outfit is his current comics one rather than his movie one. I didn't realize it was supposed to be in the same universe as Ultimate Spiderman.

They changed the Avengers cartoon to be part of a more shared universe and then proceeded to basically never cross the cartoons over ever! Before AA, USM had various Avengers on a bunch of times, and even did so this season. Number of times Spider-Man and co. have appeared on AA? Zero that I've seen, even though they have had a villain cross over (Dracula).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Opposing Farce posted:

The common wisdom is that 52/65 episodes is a kind of golden number for syndication; it gives you enough content to put the show in infinite reruns without kids noticing the repetition, which means you can keep making money on it without the cost of actually producing more episodes. I think it's also the number most stations want in order to pick a show up for syndication.
Yeah, but profit does factor in. Adventure Time is a good example of a show that will just keep going because it's merchandised to oblivion and kids love it. But for most shows which will either have minimal to no merchandise, you'll see diminishing returns throughout the show's lifetime and it's better to just rerun old content and make way for something new.

Also remember that we are dealing with really specific age ranges too. 8-12 is the key demographic for most superhero cartoons although that's changed a bit and Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon have done a lot to accommodate to a 12-16 demographic as well. Either way, the point is you have a demographic that ages out pretty quickly. A 52 episode run is usually four seasons of thirteen episodes. If a kid starts watching that show when he's nine then he's thirteen when the show ends, and he might start caring less about cartoons. Even if he doesn't, he is probably less likely to buy action figures.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToastyPotato posted:

They changed the Avengers cartoon to be part of a more shared universe and then proceeded to basically never cross the cartoons over ever! Before AA, USM had various Avengers on a bunch of times, and even did so this season. Number of times Spider-Man and co. have appeared on AA? Zero that I've seen, even though they have had a villain cross over (Dracula).

Yea, EMH, which I love the poo poo out of even before they introduced Jennifer Hale voiced Ms Marvel, had essentially Ultimate Spiderman on at least twice, and when the Avengers showed up on USM, it felt like the same characters.

When I was a kid, i was always blown away when the Xmen had to contact the Avengers for help, or Iron Man had to deal with Doc Ock, but they seem to be afraid to do that with the newer shows.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

When I was a kid, i was always blown away when the Xmen had to contact the Avengers for help, or Iron Man had to deal with Doc Ock, but they seem to be afraid to do that with the newer shows.

Well, just look how horribly it backfired when their film division tried to do that sort of thing!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It'll be interesting to me to see what they do for Dr. Strange, considering he's a character that seems to benefit from being part of a shared universe more than others, since he has a hard time holding a comic on his own, but frequently appears in others. In addition, the Marvel movies have steered away from wholly magical explanations even when it would seem blatant (Thor), but it seems like that'd be harder to avoid with the Sorcerer Supreme.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They could always just say that Strange has discovered how to manipulate energy the same way Asgardian's have so he can do all this magic. It's not like they show Loki pulling out a hologram device to make his illusions, its been shown to be a literal wave of the hand.

Lurdiak posted:

Well, just look how horribly it backfired when their film division tried to do that sort of thing!

Yea, its not like there's a billion dollars worth of evidence of this working!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

twistedmentat posted:

I remember in the 90s when Spider-Man and the X-Men had a crossover and they ran it in Primetime because it was such a big deal

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Opopanax posted:

I remember in the 90s when Spider-Man and the X-Men had a crossover and they ran it in Primetime because it was such a big deal

Yeah, most of the Marvel 90s shows have aged horribly but they at least had a decent shared universe and, for the most part, good voice actors.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

for the most part, good voice actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQSD1E7YjHQ

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't you hate on that wonderful clip.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah, most of the Marvel 90s shows have aged horribly but they at least had a decent shared universe and, for the most part, good voice actors.
Rewatch the Secret Wars episode of Spider-Man: The Animated Series, and come back with that statement.

I guess my animation thread is being slowly devoured by this thread...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I marathoned the 90s Xmen show when I first got netflix, and I don't think it aged that bad. Its 90s as hell, but at least in the first season and a half the animation holds up.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The last season when the budget ran dry was dire, but I agree. The 90's X-men was worth it for the musical stings alone.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

If only the show lived up to the Japanese version of the show's intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dacap posted:

If only the show lived up to the Japanese version of the show's intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

I like how Cable just keeps showing up in the intro.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I actually did a spit-take at "CRY FOR THE MOOOOON". Goddamn those intros are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Rumors for a Young Justice Live Action series being developed for the CW

:psyduck: If this is true DC/Warner are going loving insane with the TV series