Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LordPants posted:

Non pop up siege events are amazing.

:allears:

That is all.

I want the expansion for this, but I am poor/cheap and,

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Vassals are completely bonkers now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
What's wrong with vassals?

(I've been playing as Venice, so maybe I haven't noticed?)

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
It basically means the faction system is utter poo poo in vanilla and the levy changes are only exacerbating it.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

alcaras posted:

The main complaint being that. Well you just can not rolf stomp factions now, cause of the capital troop buffs and nerfs to vassal army pool, it makes the blobs do strange/funny things

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Ah. As Venice, I can hire enough mercenaries at any time that factions pose no threat. And besides, I'm paying people to keep them out of factions in the first place. :-S

(I don't think I've even called vassal armies more than a few times -- usually just run retinue + mercenaries because that way I can declare war without having to worry about raised levies).

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

What the hell is going on here?

Somehow my first son's son is my heir even though I've had elective for 2 generations and for some reason my dukes refuse to back my sons for the crown. I also got 65k gold after loading this pre-hotfix game with the hotfix.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Vodos posted:

Somehow my first son's son is my heir even though I've had elective for 2 generations and for some reason my dukes refuse to back my sons for the crown. I also got 65k gold after loading this pre-hotfix game with the hotfix.

Elective will eventually go against you because your subjects won't like that it's only your dynasty on top.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Vodos posted:

Why are you using elective instead of Tanistry?

edit: I can't say why they're voting for your grandson (try reloading and see if it fixes itself), but vassals will avoid voting for a dynasty if they hold too many elector titles, and looking at your character list that seems to be the case.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Demiurge4 posted:

Elective will eventually go against you because your subjects won't like that it's only your dynasty on top.

Is there an actual negative modifier for repetitive same dynasty elective?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

alcaras posted:

Is there an actual negative modifier for repetitive same dynasty elective?

It's based on how many elector titles they hold.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
You can (relatively) safely run an elective monarchy if you make sure all the electors are of your dynasty!

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I didn't know Tanistry existed, switched to that and now they want to vote for some 12 year old cousin of my king who only has a weak claim on the duchy of Munster. I have 1 elector of my dynasty and 2 non-related. I hold 2 duchies myself, I guess that's the problem?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Vodos posted:

I didn't know Tanistry existed, switched to that and now they want to vote for some 12 year old cousin of my king who only has a weak claim on the duchy of Munster. I have 1 elector of my dynasty and 2 non-related. I hold 2 duchies myself, I guess that's the problem?

What's the problem? The kid will get everything in the Kingdom of Ireland when you die.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Knuc If U Buck posted:

What's the problem? The kid will get everything in the Kingdom of Ireland when you die.

The description says electors favor older dynasty members and they pick basically the youngest and furthest removed from the current king, I'm just confused.

I guess my best option to run a genius breeding program is primogeniture with lots of stabbing/turning people into bishops?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
I presume the give duchies to prince-bishops strategy is gone with the nerf in the latest patch.

Could the same thing work with mayors?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Demiurge4 posted:

I have never seen that. I have had successful 300 years under elective without problems. In what way will that work against you?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Vodos posted:

The description says electors favor older dynasty members and they pick basically the youngest and furthest removed from the current king, I'm just confused.

I guess my best option to run a genius breeding program is primogeniture with lots of stabbing/turning people into bishops?

Asides that you can have at most 10% bishops now, and they can never be granted prince-bishoprics (duke-level titles), yes, it pretty much still is your best best.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Vodos posted:

Your first son's son was heir because the current leader in the election was someone other than a member of your dynasty. So if you die at that point, you cannot play as the winner of the election. Although up to this point you've probably found that your lower titles just get inherited by the winner of the election, this will not happen if the winner of the election is someone outside your dynasty. Consequently the game finds the next person in line of succession to your lower titles according to their laws, and designates that person as the one who will inherit your non-elective titles upon your death.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Vodos posted:

No, the easiest path to genius breeding is Ultimogeniture. Make kids until you hit that 15% chance of a genius son, then divorce (and marry a skilled 45-year-old).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

alcaras posted:

The levy changes decreased the amount of troops lieges can raise relative to what their vassal can raise, so factions have grown from a nuisance into a serious threat.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I have all of the expansions installed now, just bought SoA and the Republic yesterday because they were what I was missing and it was payday... and now, with everything I own activated, I can't modify the start date, I can only pick bookmarks, and if I try to start a game as a Republic it crashes because it's evidently trying to start in the 870s. Is there something I'm missing, or is SoA just really hosed up?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just noticed that the Martial stat now affects the size of the levies you can raise from personal holdings, and it's not a minor effect, either. My Norse King with 26 Martial got +80% to Levy size.

I'd say this almost makes Martial score as good as Diplomacy for leaders now.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Edit: Nevermind, misread a post.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
GameStop has Sons of Abraham for $4.99.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Do I get a steam key? If I get a steam key I am all over this.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet

Dauntasa posted:

Do I get a steam key? If I get a steam key I am all over this.

Yes, but you have to install their downloader to get the key for some reason.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
You get a steam key from all non-gamersgate vendors.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, playing this patch a bit more thoroughly, empires are extremely difficult to hold together in the early game, until you get enough Military Organization to have significant retinues. Once you have MilOrg 4 or so, holding an empire becomes pretty possible. It's still possible to become a megaking early if you have high martial or diplomacy, or elective succession.

The biggest problems I have with the patch is that NPCs usually aren't competent enough to hold large realms together, and that there aren't cooldown between faction rebellions. 'Crushed a Major Revolt' modifiers should last for a monarch's entire reign, and should stack for each rebellion; that way, vassals will eventually stop pressing their luck.

Event troops are still unbalanced though.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm playing as Venice and it says my House is 'of the wrong holding'. I'm still a Doge and I own it, could it be related to my heir?

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
So uhhhh, in my game I have a bunch of people running around with 30+ learning and one absurd dude with 60+. I think one of them somehow has Midas Touched too. They all have something crazy like base 40+ learning. Anyone else encountering this bug?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Not a great example of amusing Crusader Kings wackiness, but the Republic of Capua launching a war to install the King of Lotharingia on the throne of Italy, whereupon the aforementioned King of Lotharingia starts fighting on the side of the current King of Italy is quite funny.

I had something similar happen in a LAN game with a friend. It was one of those games I complained about earlier, where we were both Dukes in France and the other dukes managed to force elective succession within minutes of game start. My buddy noticed he could declare war for my claim on the throne, so he went ahead and did so. For some reason, though, I couldn't offer to join his war and he couldn't invite me (I forget if we had an alliance or not, that may have been the issue. Usually we immediately form an alliance at game start but we may have forgotten or didn't have eligible family members or something). So I was at war with him, while he fought to give me the throne of France. Of course I didn't raise my troops to fight him, but my character had such a high martial skill that the King appointed me to lead the army against him anyway.

I died in battle, fighting against my friend trying to give me the entire kingdom of France, ending the war immediately. :downsgun:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

NihilCredo posted:

No, the easiest path to genius breeding is Ultimogeniture. Make kids until you hit that 15% chance of a genius son, then divorce (and marry a skilled 45-year-old).

Be a Muslim. Marry FOUR genius wives, wait until one of them eventually craps out a genius son, give him a barony. If another later has a BETTER genius son, give him two baronies or a full-fledged county.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I died in battle, fighting against my friend trying to give me the entire kingdom of France, ending the war immediately. :downsgun:

What's even worse is actually fighting against a rebel faction that's pressing your claim to the throne, winning, and then being imprisoned as a traitor by the King after you led his armies to victory.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BBJoey posted:

So who was the idiot that decided that giving random nations in the steppe thousands of event troops for no reason was a good idea?

Nobody, because it's a bug. Do you complain about people conspiring against you to make it snow outside?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The levy changes and their subsequent effect on the faction system would be acceptable if the AI had any capability of dealing with it. But it can't, thus every single nation goes into an endless series of civil wars. So even if you as the player can navigate the challenge of keeping everything together noone else can.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The levy changes and their subsequent effect on the faction system would be acceptable if the AI had any capability of dealing with it. But it can't, thus every single nation goes into an endless series of civil wars. So even if you as the player can navigate the challenge of keeping everything together noone else can.

So it's just like real middle age history then?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Excelzior posted:

So it's just like real middle age history then?

I think your knowledge of middle age history is not that good.

CK2 ignores that many times if a ruler was overthrown in the middle ages it was court nobles conspiring among themselves, with a successful coup often bringing just another member of the ruling dynasty to the throne, and in most cases without massive civil wars.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I think your knowledge of middle age history is not that good.

CK2 ignores that many times if a ruler was overthrown in the middle ages it was court nobles conspiring among themselves, with a successful coup often bringing just another member of the ruling dynasty to the throne, and in most cases without massive civil wars.

Who cares about those times? This is Crusader Kings, not Peaceful Conflict Resolution Kings.

Besides, there WERE dozens of civil wars in the Middle ages in the Byzantine empire alone. What's your point?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
That most states constantly devolving into civil wars is both ahistorical and not a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

CK2+ 2.05.1 is out for anyone who wants it. I'm not posting the changelog in here, because it's mainly compatch stuff. Base_Titles is still buggy, if you want to use it get the dev version from GitHub. It'll be out with 2.05.2.

• Locked thread