Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

CatchrNdRy posted:

Is it draining any power from the cars system?

Yes. Minimally. The real problem is if it it malfunctions.

CatchrNdRy posted:

I saw salesguy quietly and gently install the chip while talking to me, after the other finance guy told him I declined the alarm. its a lovely move, but I guess everyone does it.

Well, that's a good thing. If they didn't disable it your car would be openable by anyone from that dealership with a lot fob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Phone posted:

Don't buy a loving Camry. I have ridden in 2 newer ones (2008 and like 2011 or 12) and it was the most loving miserable car on the god drat planet. It's reliable so you don't have to worry about any excitement ever creeping into your life, but it is miserable.

If you must buy a reliable Japanese midsizer at least do the Accord.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Camry's certainly not a bad car but it doesn't do anything better than the Accord or Mazda6 and is notably worse in several respects, particularly crash safety. So unless you are getting a very good price (possible nowadays, Toyota's incentive spending is getting up there) or have some fetish for circa 1986 digital clocks in the dash there's little reason to consider it.

You could say the same thing about the Fusion and Ford apologists never stop trumpeting it so v:downs:v

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Boxman posted:

Those words about the 3's system are a little sad to hear - I'm considering the same car. How crashy are we talking? Things seemed nice and snappy when I did my test drive, but that was all of 5 minutes of use.

Also, does the thing interface with iphones/ipods in any nice way, or do you just rock an Aux cable? I forgot to check when I was at the dealership.

Don't get me wrong, I like the system, but I've had the car for three weeks and it's crashed three times in that period. It reboots on it's own so it's not like you need to do anything, but it takes about 20-30 seconds. The other thing I'm noticing and I keep meaning to search around to see if anyone else has this problem, but it won't save my favorite channels. I can enter them in and use them but after I shut the car off and turn it back on, they're gone. It saves everything else like phone info and all that so I'm not sure what the deal is there. Aside from that, it works pretty well. I really like the Pandora integration.

As for the iPod interface, you have two options, USB cable or bluetooth audio. They both have their advantages. Bluetooth is faster with changing between songs but for some reason it won't let you scroll through artists by letter so if you need to get to an artist down in the T's you have to spin the wheel a while to get there. The USB method it takes a couple seconds to change songs, but you can scroll by letter to change artists faster.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Proposed Budget: Maximum of 15k

New or Used: Open to either but I have a bias towards used (I hate that initial value drop)

Body Style: Sedan, something with some room.

How will you be using the car?: To and from work. Incidental travel. Current commute of 45mi each way. Possibility of getting it down to about 15mi soon. Not much else. I have a family of four and we normally just drive our other vehicle (2010 Dodge Caravan) around.

What aspects are most important to you?: Value. Reliability. Low Maintenance. Something large enough that I don't feel cramped.

I am currently driving a 2001 Hyundai Elantra with a salvaged title which I got in 2004 while in college. The AC doesnt work, the radio doesn't work, and I honestly don't give much of a poo poo. I had been using the car intermittently to drive to and from work in conjunction with my motorcycle. However, time and abuse has finally caught up with my Elantra and it's at a point where fixing it would be more than the worth of the vehicle. Hence, I am in the market for something new. My preference would be larger roomier car, something reliable that requires little effort or attention (I am not mechanically inclined, nor am I interested in learning now). I had rented a taurus and impala while on vacation and I enjoyed that style of car. I would prefer something newer (to minimize maintenance costs), but I am open to getting an older, lower mileage car.

I would go even cheaper for a vehicle, but I am wary of buying something too old and being left with the necessity for even more car repairs/maintenance.

I just found a 2013 Impala that I am considering.

I live in California so inclement weather is not much of a concern. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Look at Toyota Avalons. They're basically a Lexus without the fake wood and premium price tag.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I was wondering if any Canadians had bought a used car in America and if that has been covered at all in this thread? Used cars are much cheaper in the US and buying a car from a state that doesn't have a winter seems to be a pretty good idea or am I being totally naive?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Phone posted:

Look at Toyota Avalons. They're basically a Lexus without the fake wood and premium price tag.

They may as well be a Lexus since their resale value is very good. Not really in the same league as a W-body Impala.

You can also get '12 VW Passats with the 2.5l and 20k miles all day for under $15k, on the one hand the 2.5l offers the power of a 4 cylinder with the fuel economy of a V6, but on the other hand they are really cheap and also huge. Look how much you can carry with the rear seats folded, it's practically a truck. Get the automatic.

I think a Taurus is a pretty decent choice if you can get over the terrible visibility and very small trunk opening, but they're not cheap like the Passat, and neither is the Charger/300 which would be my first choice.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 21, 2013

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

When I was searching Cars.com I found several passats and added them for comparison. VW is a relative unknown to me as I have never owned one, nor has anyone in my family. Do they require anything special in the way of maintenance? Also, it seems like I can find 2013 Passats with lower mileage for cheaper than 2012 Passats. Is there a reason for this? Some kind of mechanical defect?

I agree with the visibility issues of the impala, but I enjoyed the feel of the car. Also, the one I linked seems like a really good price with all things considered.

How important is certified pre-owned? Is it just some trumped up bullshit they use to push a price tag or should it be given some heavy consideration?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CPO is mostly trumped up bullshit but it varies; in some cases it can provide for an extended, manufacturer-backed warranty. On a regular car that might not be such a big deal but it can come in handy for cars with particularly high repair costs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

CPO is mostly trumped up bullshit but it varies; in some cases it can provide for an extended, manufacturer-backed warranty. On a regular car that might not be such a big deal but it can come in handy for cars with particularly high repair costs.

Yeah, the car itself will likely be no better than a non-CPO counterpart, but the warranty can often be good. My last car was a CPO Infiniti EX35 and between 90k and 98k I had the radiator die on me and there was an issue with my solenoid valves and both repairs were completely covered under the CPO warranty. Saved me about $3k.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Moatillata posted:

How important is certified pre-owned? Is it just some trumped up bullshit they use to push a price tag or should it be given some heavy consideration?

Depending on the dealer sometimes you can buy a CPO car without the CPO for a lower price, they just toss out the warranty. CPO makes sense if the specific car is exceptionally unreliable, I've read about people making out like bandits from Carmax's warranty because Carmax will write a six year warranty on an 8-year old S class for $3k.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I know the guy I talked to at my Ford dealer would do that. He told me the CPO was just a manufacturer backed bolt on warranty that costs them in the range of 1100 dollars to tack on the car. It's no different than any other extended warranty you can get from Ford or a 3rd party, it's just something that can only be bolted onto clean used cars that fit the CPO marketing criteria. It's just pre-baked into the MSRP of the car. I haggled pretty hard on a CPO Explorer a couple of years ago and he flat out said "I can't sell you that car at that price with the CPO warranty, if you're willing to buy it non CPO we can talk".

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Proposed Budget:~$16-$18k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Midsize Sedan or hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Mostly for work commute of about 20 miles one way, a commute of about 70 miles one way about twice a month, and the occasional road trip with my gf. and grocery stuff, going out on weekends, etc.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and MPG are pretty important, but I do like driving cars with some pick up -- I get crazy if I'm trying to merge on a freeway and the car is a snail.

I live in CT so a snow friendly car would be nice. Basically right now my car is a 2005 Buick Lesabre -- it's been serving me well but it's at about 112,000 miles and I just had to get new brakes and I'm worried it's about to start crapping out on me because the transmission is being kind of wonky. At this point in my career I think a new (to me) car would be a good idea. Any suggestions? I have pretty good credit and would need to finance it... is a 60 month used car loan pretty standard now?

Jerome Louis fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 21, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

jet sanchEz posted:

I was wondering if any Canadians had bought a used car in America and if that has been covered at all in this thread? Used cars are much cheaper in the US and buying a car from a state that doesn't have a winter seems to be a pretty good idea or am I being totally naive?

You can google it and there are plenty of guides that will go over it in more detail than anyone here can be bothered to since it varies by make and model, and most US dealerships close to the border will know how it works and set everything up for toy. The gist of it is that you pay GST/PST, plus 6% duty on top of that for a car made in a non-NAFTA country. Inform the border crossing ahead of time and have all your papers ready, then you need an RIV inspection at Canadian Tire. For most cars you need a dealer to do some poo poo like convert the dash to KM, turn on DRLs, and stuff, and the dealers are variously more helpful or not - VW/Audi seems to be pretty reluctant, while BMW seems to be a bit more friendly, they'll all want a relatively huge amount of money for it but it's all anecdotal. Some marques (Lamborghini, Lotus) just flat out refuse to do it and you're SOL.

It use to be a much more lucrative thing back around 2008-2010 due to a combo of the CND dollar being really high, US car prices being really low due to general economic conditions, and Canadian car prices being really high because no one had caught on to it yet. Nowadays most OEMs have adjusted their pricing to be more in line with the US(free market!), US car prices are back up, and the USD has regained some ground as well, so it's not nearly as good a deal as it use to be. I think it works if you are looking for a special/performance car that they simply never sold many of in Canada, in which case you probably don't need this thread, but for most regular people cars it's barely worth the trouble, especially since warranty usually won't carry over.

It use to be that the difference between a US and Canadian 997 GT3RS was more like $50k, and it was appealing especially since the kind of people who drive these can be pretty relaxed about life expectancy long term OEM warranty claims. Nowadays the difference is barely worth the effort.

Moatillata posted:

When I was searching Cars.com I found several passats and added them for comparison. VW is a relative unknown to me as I have never owned one, nor has anyone in my family. Do they require anything special in the way of maintenance? Also, it seems like I can find 2013 Passats with lower mileage for cheaper than 2012 Passats. Is there a reason for this? Some kind of mechanical defect?

I agree with the visibility issues of the impala, but I enjoyed the feel of the car. Also, the one I linked seems like a really good price with all things considered.

I think it has something to do with the 2013 being a pretty bad year for VW sales and the dealers having lots of them lying around from their courtesy fleets/demos and such, while the asking prices for the 2012 haven't really adjusted to reflect that yet. The 2013 Impala is pretty fast since it does have the 3.6l 300hp engine but it's a really old car at this point and I would feel better with something designed with modern technology and crash safety.

Jerome Louis posted:

How will you be using the car?: Mostly for work commute of about 20 miles one way, a commute of about 70 miles one way about twice a month, and the occasional road trip with my gf. and grocery stuff, going out on weekends, etc.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and MPG are pretty important, but I do like driving cars with some pick up -- I get crazy if I'm trying to merge on a freeway and the car is a snail.

I live in CT so a snow friendly car would be nice. Basically right now my car is a 2005 Buick Lesabre -- it's been serving me well but it's at about 112,000 miles and I just had to get new brakes and I'm worried it's about to start crapping out on me because the transmission is being kind of wonky. At this point in my career I think a new (to me) car would be a good idea. Any suggestions? I have pretty good credit and would need to finance it... is a 60 month used car loan pretty standard now?

Get the newest Chrysler Sebring/200/Dodge Avenger with the V6 you can find.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
here is a BFC point: holy poo poo ~10 grand for the ceramic brakes?! Unless you're a track day fiend that is such a crazy waste of money.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Throatwarbler posted:

I think it has something to do with the 2013 being a pretty bad year for VW sales and the dealers having lots of them lying around from their courtesy fleets/demos and such, while the asking prices for the 2012 haven't really adjusted to reflect that yet. The 2013 Impala is pretty fast since it does have the 3.6l 300hp engine but it's a really old car at this point and I would feel better with something designed with modern technology and crash safety.

Outside of seriously suggesting VW products, are you also now saying that a 2013 Impala is unsafe and that Chrysler cars warrant a serious look at?

I will admit that I was trolling earlier by suggesting the BMW 335d to people that were looking for a sporty $30k car, but I have no idea what you're doing. :psyduck:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phone posted:

Outside of seriously suggesting VW products, are you also now saying that a 2013 Impala is unsafe and that Chrysler cars warrant a serious look at?

The guy wanted a powerful midsize sedan and the Chrysler family with a V6 meets that while costing way, way less than alternatives. V6 avengers were leaving lots new well under $20k and they've got some power and are plenty big.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

Not really interested in having another V6 because of the MPG reason. Looking around locally for a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid though. The ones that fit my budget are all around 60k miles. I'm kind of iffy on buying a used car with that many miles, should I be?

Power is nice to have but I don't need that powerful, just enough to comfortably pass and merge on the freeway. I test drove a new Mazda 3 recently with the 2.5L and that was perfectly fine to me power-wise.

Jerome Louis fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 22, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm not sure if you can find used Skyactiv Mazda 3s on the market, but I'd take a look at those.

As for financing, I know Pen Fed will do used car loans for cars dating back to MY2000 with ridiculously low rates like 1.74%.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Jerome Louis posted:

Have you considered a used Subaru Impreza or Legacy? They're great winter cars, and comfortable commuters. They both have sufficient pep too, so you won't feel like you're driving a snail.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Proposed Budget: 14-20k
New or Used: Used, max ~60k miles
Body Style: Prefer wagon, 2-door, 4-door, hatchback in no particular order
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, yearly road trips, would be nice to be able to tow a motorcycle or two but not a requirement
What aspects are most important to you? Comfort, reliability, would like a moderate amount of cargo space to support road-tripping with two people and a bunch of stuff.

I'm attracted to Volvos, been looking at the S40 & V50 but really just at the beginning of seriously looking to replace my Ford Focus (the Focus has suffered a number of youthful indiscretions gladly but I'm not looking to get another Ford/Chevy/Dodge anything).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Phone posted:

I will admit that I was trolling earlier by suggesting the BMW 335d to people that were looking for a sporty $30k car, but I have no idea what you're doing. :psyduck:

Yes, cars that came out in 2005 on a platform that dates back to the 1980s are less safe than cars that came out in 2012 with more airbags. Try not to get hit in the side as a driver in the Impala. What are you psyducking about?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

FormatAmerica posted:

Proposed Budget: 14-20k
New or Used: Used, max ~60k miles
Body Style: Prefer wagon, 2-door, 4-door, hatchback in no particular order
How will you be using the car?: Commuting, yearly road trips, would be nice to be able to tow a motorcycle or two but not a requirement
What aspects are most important to you? Comfort, reliability, would like a moderate amount of cargo space to support road-tripping with two people and a bunch of stuff.

I'm attracted to Volvos, been looking at the S40 & V50 but really just at the beginning of seriously looking to replace my Ford Focus (the Focus has suffered a number of youthful indiscretions gladly but I'm not looking to get another Ford/Chevy/Dodge anything).

I wouldn't bother with the S40/V50 because they are both ancient. You can slide into a 2012 S60 for around the $18k range that will be much newer. The new S60/XC60 are very impressive vehicles. Kind of too new to have much reliability data, given Volvo's record it probably won't be good but if you like Volvos you like Volvos, and the safety can't be beat.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Xguard86 posted:

here is a BFC point: holy poo poo ~10 grand for the ceramic brakes?! Unless you're a track day fiend that is such a crazy waste of money.

I'm told that the price includes the credit for not getting the regular brakes. Wait until you have to replace the rotors and pads. :v:

Seriously though I think GM only wants like $6k for their ceramic brakes so you're paying for the Porsche sticker too.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Hi, I want to drive a luxury saloon car from California to Alaska with 3 friends in summer. I did it once on a tiny dirt bike and I want the totally opposite experience. I want tons of room front and back, comfortable interior, a quiet ride, a smooth engine, a soft suspension. I want it to look and feel as luxurious as possible inside and out. I will probably only own it for a few months before the trip, then sell it shortly after. It has to be reliable enough to make 5000 miles without breaking down. It should have a large engine, but does not need to. I realize what gas costs in Canada, but I kind of want to be able to slow the earth's rotation when I hit the gas pedal.

Proposed Budget: $12,000
Body Style: 4-door long wheelbase
Planned ownership: 0.5-1 year

So far I have looked at 80s and 90s European sedans since their cost of maintenance destroys their resale value. I would buy a lower mileage one with great records and a full inspection. Audi A8, Mercedes 300SE, Mercedes 560SEL, Mercedes 600 SEL, VW Phaeton were on the list. I've also considered a Lincoln Towncar, Cadillac Deville, and Lexus LS400. I just think all of those look like poo poo.

So far the Mercedes 300SE and Lexus LS400 seem like the most rational choices. However, this is not the most rational plan and so I am option to all possibilities.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
I bought a 2006 Acura TL with about 70,000 miles a year ago on the advice of this thread (thanks thread, I really like the car). I just got a call from the dealership saying that they really want my car back, and asking if there's anything they have on the lot that I'd be interested in swapping it for. Am I correct that this is just a standard car sales thing - I've had the car for a year, they figure I might want to upgrade, so they make it sound like they really want to get my car back so they can screw me on a trade in and get me to pay for another car?

I think I'll just tell them that I want something ridiculous in a straight up trade.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yes it's a common tactic, they just want to get you into the dealership to try to sell you something. They don't actually have any special desire for your car, they just want to trade it in and make money off another sale.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MotoMind posted:

Hi, I want to drive a luxury saloon car from California to Alaska with 3 friends in summer. I did it once on a tiny dirt bike and I want the totally opposite experience. I want tons of room front and back, comfortable interior, a quiet ride, a smooth engine, a soft suspension. I want it to look and feel as luxurious as possible inside and out. I will probably only own it for a few months before the trip, then sell it shortly after. It has to be reliable enough to make 5000 miles without breaking down. It should have a large engine, but does not need to. I realize what gas costs in Canada, but I kind of want to be able to slow the earth's rotation when I hit the gas pedal.

Proposed Budget: $12,000
Body Style: 4-door long wheelbase
Planned ownership: 0.5-1 year

So far I have looked at 80s and 90s European sedans since their cost of maintenance destroys their resale value. I would buy a lower mileage one with great records and a full inspection. Audi A8, Mercedes 300SE, Mercedes 560SEL, Mercedes 600 SEL, VW Phaeton were on the list. I've also considered a Lincoln Towncar, Cadillac Deville, and Lexus LS400. I just think all of those look like poo poo.

So far the Mercedes 300SE and Lexus LS400 seem like the most rational choices. However, this is not the most rational plan and so I am option to all possibilities.

Large FWD Buicks should be the way to go. Either a 2005 Park Avenue with the supercharged 3800, or for a bit more money a 2007-8 Lucerne with the Northstar V8. IIRC you can get these with front bench seats too so you and your friends can sit 3 abreast in the front. :shlick:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 23, 2013

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
I've been doing some internet research but it'd be great if some of y'all might point me in a good direction since I haven't purchased a vehicle on my own before.

Proposed Budget: If I could get a working vehicle for $3k I'd be real happy.
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: Station wagon seems like my best choice, but any vehicle with a fairly long body for storage and car camping.
How will you be using the car?: Traveling long distance around the US and Canada. I do migrant ag work and that means I need to drive on lovely dirt roads fairly often.
What aspects are most important to you: Full economy is first, affordability on the inevitable work I'll need done on it down the road would be nice as well. It'd be a big plus if it was high enough off the ground to be able to tackle forest service roads comfortably.

I know I'm not going to be able to afford a great vehicle, but I'd love recommendations on makes/models so I have somewhere to start my car hunting. I'd also love tips on where to buy a car in this country, ideally in the south-ish, since I'm going to be hitch hiking around if it makes a difference where I buy it. Thanks!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Not My Leg posted:

I bought a 2006 Acura TL with about 70,000 miles a year ago on the advice of this thread (thanks thread, I really like the car). I just got a call from the dealership saying that they really want my car back, and asking if there's anything they have on the lot that I'd be interested in swapping it for. Am I correct that this is just a standard car sales thing - I've had the car for a year, they figure I might want to upgrade, so they make it sound like they really want to get my car back so they can screw me on a trade in and get me to pay for another car?

I think I'll just tell them that I want something ridiculous in a straight up trade.

It's definitely a common thing, especially for Acura. I can't tell you how many letter I received about my RDX when I owned it.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

I wouldn't bother with the S40/V50 because they are both ancient. You can slide into a 2012 S60 for around the $18k range that will be much newer. The new S60/XC60 are very impressive vehicles. Kind of too new to have much reliability data, given Volvo's record it probably won't be good but if you like Volvos you like Volvos, and the safety can't be beat.

Test drove both the older & newer generation Volvos today and holy hell I love the S60!

Price, however, was another thing- in FL the cheapest I'm seeing any used 2011-2012 s60s is around $20k. New to the car-buying thing, so should I just expect to ask and pay around $18k out the door?

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Proposed Budget: Interested in leasing. Aiming for max of $1k monthly for 36 months.
New or Used: New
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) SUV. Truck would be fine but height and length of vehicle would be a concern. Don't want a minivan.
How will you be using the car?: Drive on average about 1000km a month, which includes an annual 3000km road trip. Daily commute to work is 12 minutes each way. Want something with AWD, heated/cooled seats, and heated steering.
What aspects are most important to you? Comfort, safety. Reason I indicated SUV is the sitting position and entry/exit. Nav system would be nice. Good visibility out of windows for shoulder-checking. A kickass moonroof would rock too.

Live in Canada.

I've considered the Lincoln MKX, Cadillac SRX, and Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Like the power of the SRT, do not like the shape of the MKX too much.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Veinless posted:

Proposed Budget: Interested in leasing. Aiming for max of $1k monthly for 36 months.
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) SUV. Truck would be fine but height and length of vehicle would be a concern. Don't want a minivan.
How will you be using the car?: Drive on average about 1000km a month, which includes an annual 3000km road trip. Daily commute to work is 12 minutes each way. Want something with AWD, heated/cooled seats, and heated steering.
What aspects are most important to you? Comfort, safety. Reason I indicated SUV is the sitting position and entry/exit. Nav system would be nice. Good visibility out of windows for shoulder-checking. A kickass moonroof would rock too.

Live in Canada.

I've considered the Lincoln MKX, Cadillac SRX, and Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Like the power of the SRT, do not like the shape of the MKX too much.

The Lincoln MKT would be my choice. I went to Lincoln Canada and speced out an AWD twin turbo with panoramic roof, heated/cooled 1st and 2nd row seats, heated steering wheel, auto-parallel park(see video), radar cruise control, power third row seats, THX premium audio and nav and came in right on budget. You can probably do better with some wheeling and dealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQEWBTvwJcc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrVipOfKQhY

The twin turbo V6 isn't quite as powerful as the SRT8 but still pretty quick.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The MKT is such a polarizing car when it comes to looks though. I like them but my wife would divorce me if we got one. I also like the Flex which she hates

We did just lease a Ford Explorer Sport and man it's a blast to drive while being fully loaded. The Sport doesn't have a heated steering wheel or HID lights available though (at least in the US). The thing hauls rear end though. It might be too long if you don't need the 3rd row.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jerome Louis posted:

Not really interested in having another V6 because of the MPG reason. Looking around locally for a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid though. The ones that fit my budget are all around 60k miles. I'm kind of iffy on buying a used car with that many miles, should I be?

Power is nice to have but I don't need that powerful, just enough to comfortably pass and merge on the freeway. I test drove a new Mazda 3 recently with the 2.5L and that was perfectly fine to me power-wise.

On a modern car, 60k is just getting to be nicely broken in. You should expect just about any non-exotic car made in 2010 to last to at least 250k miles, properly maintained and assuming you don't drive on salted roads for 6 months out of every year. 300k+ is possible.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

skipdogg posted:

The MKT is such a polarizing car when it comes to looks though. I like them but my wife would divorce me if we got one. I also like the Flex which she hates

We did just lease a Ford Explorer Sport and man it's a blast to drive while being fully loaded. The Sport doesn't have a heated steering wheel or HID lights available though (at least in the US). The thing hauls rear end though. It might be too long if you don't need the 3rd row.

Yeah, you can get the heated wheel and HIDs with the Limited but that only comes with the NA V6. Anyway the MKT is really more directly comparable with the Flex and I think you can get a Flex Limited with all the options available on the MKT except cooled rear seats. The MKT rear is pretty...distinctive in an art-deco sort of way, I don't mind it too much but I think they would have more mainstream success if they used the tailights from the MKX or the new MKC. I like how the Flex looks, but with either the Flex or the Explorer once you tick all the options that are standard on the MKT you end up at about the same price anyway, and you still don't get cooled rear seats, the nicer leather (That Bridge of Weir poo poo is imported from Scotland and is the same stuff they use in $100k+ Range Rovers) or the THX sound system, so I think it's a pretty ideal buy for someone who wants a very luxurious 3 row that's quick enough but doesn't need all the power and the 13 mpg of the SRT8.

The problem with the $50k Explorer and the Flex is that the Hemi/8 speed Durango exists, which does everything that the Explorer does, has a much better infotainment system than the MyFord garbage, plus RWD Mercedes platform, no replacement for displacement, etc. Chrysler has always been an underdog in this segment and they are moving very aggressively in terms of bang/buck.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 24, 2013

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

Throatwarbler posted:

The Lincoln MKT would be my choice. I went to Lincoln Canada and speced out an AWD twin turbo with panoramic roof, heated/cooled 1st and 2nd row seats, heated steering wheel, auto-parallel park(see video), radar cruise control, power third row seats, THX premium audio and nav and came in right on budget. You can probably do better with some wheeling and dealing.
[Snip]

Definitely appreciate the thorough post. I had not considered the MKT. I like it except for the length. 16" longer than the MKX is a bit more than I'd be comfortable living with. Would be great for cargo though.

Edit: missed one "must-have": dual-zone climate control.

FWIW, we're coming from a 2010 Ford Escape Limited, which ticked all of our boxes when we got it, but does not have cooled seats or heated steering.

Veinless fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 24, 2013

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Veinless posted:

Have you considered the Kia Sorento? The EX V6 and SX models come really nicely equipped with everything that you're looking for and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

goatse guy posted:

Have you considered the Kia Sorento? The EX V6 and SX models come really nicely equipped with everything that you're looking for and more.

You're right. The top model offered here, the SX, meets the criteria. While it has less power, it also weighs less. My only concern would be ground clearance. 7.3" is an inch lower than the Ford Escape we're in right now.

That said, the Caddy sits only 7" off the ground - ick.

How is Kia's AWD?