Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Whenever someone talks about "Winter Park" I'm always like "Oh hell yeah I love skiing the cirque and the cliffs on Mary Jane" and then I realize they are talking about some place in Florida and not Colorado.

Winter Park CO used to have a train that ran right to it from downtown Denver but they killed it off a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Miami, actually.
I think he was referring to me. I've been down to the station before once but not when a train was arriving. The SunRail station was being built right next to the old Amtrak one, they're probably tearing it down and making it a transfer or something.

Also I might be going out to see the Orange Blossom Cannonball in Tavares at some point, which should be pretty cool. Best to do it during fall/winter when the Florida heat isn't as prevalent because of the lack of AC in the coaches.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So the next version of trainz has been announced and is going to finally have an updated engine. To fund it they have started a kickstarter that lists the features they would like in the game, and I have to say it looks pretty awesome if they can pull some of these features off.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/426668601/trainz-simulator-a-new-era-create-drive-operate-sh

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

jadebullet posted:

So the next version of trainz has been announced and is going to finally have an updated engine. To fund it they have started a kickstarter that lists the features they would like in the game, and I have to say it looks pretty awesome if they can pull some of these features off.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/426668601/trainz-simulator-a-new-era-create-drive-operate-sh

I want to believe... but it stinks too much of "Trainz X" all over again (although I'll concede that this time they're being more realistic, and the kickstarter might allow them to fund it successfully, which I believe was one of the failures of Trainz X)

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Well I've been complaining that the reason I don't play train simulators is that the graphics are not up to par, I think it's time to put my money where my mouth is and support this in the hopes that we finally get a train simulator with good graphics. Frankly I think it's a smart move on their part. The train simulator fanbase is small, but many of them have plenty of money to dump into it. This is a good way to get a bigger chunk of change from those who are willing in order to put out a better product which might attract a larger audience.

I'm in at crew level, we'll see what comes of this.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

SybilVimes posted:

I want to believe... but it stinks too much of "Trainz X" all over again (although I'll concede that this time they're being more realistic, and the kickstarter might allow them to fund it successfully, which I believe was one of the failures of Trainz X)

Yeah, but the nice thing about this is that they are finally making a new engine rather than polishing the turd that was the jet engine. Trainz X was actually pretty good, at least for me, being much more stable than 06, and the 5m grid was awesome. That being said, there were quite a bit of issues with it, and TS12 was a much needed improvement, even though it was still lacking in some areas due to the engine.

I just wish that they would stop using that ugly UP SD40 that they "made" by purchasing the mesh off of Turbosquid. Nothing like a shiny loco with rust and handrails as thick as your arm. That being said, you don't play trainz for the built in content anyway.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

jadebullet posted:

Yeah, but the nice thing about this is that they are finally making a new engine rather than polishing the turd that was the jet engine. Trainz X was actually pretty good, at least for me, being much more stable than 06, and the 5m grid was awesome. That being said, there were quite a bit of issues with it, and TS12 was a much needed improvement, even though it was still lacking in some areas due to the engine.

I just wish that they would stop using that ugly UP SD40 that they "made" by purchasing the mesh off of Turbosquid. Nothing like a shiny loco with rust and handrails as thick as your arm. That being said, you don't play trainz for the built in content anyway.

Trainz X, not Trainz 2010.

Trainz X was the abortive 'next generation trainz, with a shiny sexy new engine' that they announced at the same time as trainz 2009 after N3VERF4IL bought Auran. It was supposed to use 'stuff learnt from the Fury debacle', and be everything every forum poster ever wanted, while not breaking backwards compatibility. And trainz 2009 was supposed to be a stop-gap measure to allow new content that could serve as a basis of the new technology for Trainz X. Trainz X was supposed to come out in 2012 or so (ie, about 3 years from the announcement).

Needless to say, it didn't happen, we got 2010 which was a slightly improved 2009, then 12 which was 2010 with broken content.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I have Trainz on my iPad. It's a pretty clunky port of the PC version to a touchscreen interface, but it's fun to dick around in, and has (for the most part) kept me from sinking thousands of dollars into an actual model train layout in my basement.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I always just thought that trainz X was just trainz 10 and they changed its name from a Roman Numeral to a normal one. I dunno, I actually like 2012 better than 2010, though yeah the broken content thing is a pain, especially the screenshot issue with SP1, though that is easily fixed. Do you post on the official forums btw? If so, what is your username? Just curious.

And bisticles, Trainz for the PC is great for virtual model railroading, especially if you are like me and don't have the money or room for a model railroad. I am currenlty working on a Pennsylvania based shortline that interchanges with 6 of my other friend's shortlines as well as Conrail in a giant system. Mine is the HS&A

Oh, and for the person who didn't like my perfect ties and stuff in my screenshots, I have swapped them out for more weathered and disorganized ties on cinder ballast. You just can't make the ties too disorganized and beat up or else you get repeating textures on the spline so you keep seeing the same rotten tie every couple of ties, which looks bad.

Ignore the lack of scenery, and proper ground textures in this screen, it is still a WIP, and I just took it to show off my completed roster. And yes, the default switch lever is horrible, I have yet to swap it out for something better.

But overall, trainz is a fun little railroad themed time waster, especially if you enjoy model railroading but can't afford it.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 13, 2013

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Literally, "Locomotive Insanity: I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT FOR MONTHS"

We are bringing (by "we" I mean a few of my coworkers right here in Cheyenne) and bringing a Bigboy home to restore! It is finally happening!

Story with video!

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-big-boy-20131116,0,6608450.story

I was told they have to move it at 20mph or less, stopping to inspect and lube frequently. Over 1100 miles of track at 20 mph should take only 55 hours.

But in reality it could take a week, or even a month. It will have to get out of the way of other trains often, stops for lube and inspection, crews will need to rest for 10 hours after every 12 hours running, or even take routes of travel that may increase the mileage significantly.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
So glad I am not dispatching that area......

It just looks like a god drat nightmare.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BrokenKnucklez posted:

So glad I am not dispatching that area......

It just looks like a god drat nightmare.

I'm the sure the people doing it are glad to be playing a part of preserving history you giant baby.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm the sure the people doing it are glad to be playing a part of preserving history you giant baby.

Wait till you work here. Your tune changes pretty quickly. Dealing with peak intermodal season, 3 chiefs and a couple of corridors standing over your shoulder to move the UPS train and screw that giant metal monstrosity into the siding. But oh wait, that siding is all jointed rail and can barely support an empty gondola let alone that thing. Plus all the restrictions on what turnouts it can take, etc.

Non railroad people that think they know whats going on make me giggle. We are here to move freight (and we can barely do that).

And it was doing a perfectly good job of being preserved right where it was at :colbert:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Wait till you work here. Your tune changes pretty quickly. Dealing with peak intermodal season, 3 chiefs and a couple of corridors standing over your shoulder to move the UPS train and screw that giant metal monstrosity into the siding. But oh wait, that siding is all jointed rail and can barely support an empty gondola let alone that thing. Plus all the restrictions on what turnouts it can take, etc.

Non railroad people that think they know whats going on make me giggle. We are here to move freight (and we can barely do that).

And it was doing a perfectly good job of being preserved right where it was at :colbert:

There's probably one or two foamers that think its really cool. Everyone else is indifferent at best.

Why are they even doing it during peak season? The railroads make no sense.

vains fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 18, 2013

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The longer I work for the railroad the less :supaburn: I am about it..

and the more :geno: I am about things that park me, hold me up, or lengthen my day without pay.

:(

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 20, 2013

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Now this I can get :supaburn: about

http://www.ble-t.org/pr/news/newsflash.asp?id=5503

:)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

The longer I work for the railroad the less :supaburn: I am about it..

and the more :geno: I am about things that park me, hold me up, or lengthen my day without pay.

:(

Hey - I will let you know when I screw you in a siding!

And when the dispatcher asks you how long your good for, that means your about to get screwed for all 12.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Virgin Trains have embarked on a unique plan to reduce passenger congestion around the ticket barriers at Chester station: bypassing them completely.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All I can think of is the train saying, "gently caress your fixie, goddamn hipsters."

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
It seems horrified. Poor thing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

That train is committing an act of fare evasion.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That's a pretty poor end of track bumper, attached to a piece of wood? They needed one of these.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That's a pretty poor end of track bumper, attached to a piece of wood? They needed one of these.

I see those at North Station every day. I want a train to nudge (gently) into one, I imagine it makes the most tremendous noise as it slides against the rails its bolted to.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Peak intermodal season means I get the month of December off :woop: Can't have MoW out there with all those UPS Z trains running around.

Of course, if I hadn't saved a chunk of money, I'd be chasing work in another district like everyone else.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Strawberry posted:

Peak intermodal season means I get the month of December off :woop: Can't have MoW out there with all those UPS Z trains running around.

Of course, if I hadn't saved a chunk of money, I'd be chasing work in another district like everyone else.

Forethought can save your rear end if you use it correctly. Enjoy your time off!

vains
May 26, 2004

Strawberry posted:

Peak intermodal season means I get to work until 3am while wondering if any of a dozen things outside my control will happen. 1 week down, 5 more to go.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
This is why I love my desk I work. No intermodal. Just crappy manifest, a few coal trains and a pair of grain trains. Nobody cares about you as long as things run semi smoothly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Virgin Trains have embarked on a unique plan to reduce passenger congestion around the ticket barriers at Chester station: bypassing them completely.

I didn't know I HATE PINK BIKES was an engineer.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

What impresses me the most is the sheet of glass that's been thrown back about 2m, had a huge lump of timber dropped on it, and yet is unbroken and looks p. much pristine.

That's some quality british glass there.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

SybilVimes posted:

What impresses me the most is the sheet of glass that's been thrown back about 2m, had a huge lump of timber dropped on it, and yet is unbroken and looks p. much pristine.

That's some quality british glass there.

Hence the motto for safe-t-glass, "it's fine or it's hosed"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have tossed safety glass (side windows out of a car) into a dumpster and had them bounce before. Stuff is surprisingly durable.

They're even making really crazy blended+tempered glass now, like the glass on many smartphone screens is Gorilla Glass. It's stressed on a molecular level in such a way that it takes incredible abuse to actually break the glass. In fact when I went looking for the demo video I saw of someone trying to break gorilla glass, it turns out they have another version out now that's even stronger.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Some pretty sweet gorilla glass demos here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT8xI4PEU8c

:psyduck: at that flexibility one.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Intermodal cars? How about an intermodal locomotive:

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Some cool pictures I found of the soon to be completed HSR line between Lanzhou and Urumqi in China. I remember seeing a documentary on the rail line they build to Tibet awhile back and it was interesting seeing what they ahd to do to deal with frozen soil conditions.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Another bill to make two man crews law.
http://www.ble-t.org/pr/news/newsflash.asp?id=5504

Call/email/write your congressman. To contact your member of the U.S. House, go to http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/ and enter your
Zip Code.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Hey - I will let you know when I screw you in a siding!

And when the dispatcher asks you how long your good for, that means your about to get screwed for all 12.

It is funny because here the switches freeze up, and they cannot put the hot shots around us. It actually raises the velocity on the corridor to record levels!

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 26, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

Another bill to make two man crews law.
http://www.ble-t.org/pr/news/newsflash.asp?id=5504

Call/email/write your congressman. To contact your member of the U.S. House, go to http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/ and enter your
Zip Code.

quote:

Representatives Michael Michaud (D-ME) and Chellie Pingree (D-ME) introduced the legislation on August 2 in the aftermath of the tragic accident in Lac-Mégantic, Quebec, which heightened awareness of the risks of single person operations.

Not sure what having a conductor would have done here. The crew still runs out of hours near Lac-Megantic. The engine still catches on fire. The fire department still cuts the cars off. The cars still derail in downtown Lac-Megantic. Maybe they should have created a bill mandating that DOT 111 cars cannot carry crude oil?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Not sure what having a conductor would have done here. The crew still runs out of hours near Lac-Megantic. The engine still catches on fire. The fire department still cuts the cars off. The cars still derail in downtown Lac-Megantic. Maybe they should have created a bill mandating that DOT 111 cars cannot carry crude oil?

2 man crew could have properly secured the train? It serves as a checks and balance.

One man crews have been proven time and time again that they are more unsafe than a 2 man crew. Wisconson Southern railroad has one of the worst safety records when they tried the one man crews.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Speaking of train safety, the attempt to have PTC in place in the U. S. by 2015 has hit a strange snag. The new safety system cannot be built because there is no practical way to certify that the antennas are not disturbing historic American Indian sites.

PTC, or Positive Train Control, is an automated safety system that acts as a backup if the driver misses a critical signal. In 2008, Congress mandated that all Class I railroads should use PTC after a train killed twenty-five people after the driver missed a red signal, supposedly because he was texting at the time. The Rail Safety Improvement Act of 2008 required the system to be in place by 2015.

However, the FCC blocked implementation in May. The system will require 22,000 radio transmitters to be placed along the railroads at intervals of one to two miles, and they will have antennas that communicate with the trains and with central computers. However, the antennas are not going to be on top of existing infrastructure but have to have a 15-foot hole dug in the ground for each of them, requiring an FCC license for each transmitter. The FCC pointed out that since PTC is federally mandated, the installation will have to be done in accordance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966. This meant that the FCC could not license the transmitters until each 15-foot hole had been inspected by representatives of the American Indian nations to determine if each site had historic Indian artifacts.

The American Indians are not thrilled at the idea of sending people to inspect 22,000 post holes along the railroads and are insisting that they have better things to do with their time. The FCC has held meetings with the various Indian nations to see if the inspection process could be expedited, but the American Indians say that the conflict between the two laws is the government’s problem, not theirs. It has to be fixed by an act of Congress, but right now Congress is occupied by Democrats and Republicans slinging fistfuls of poo poo at one another.

More information: Positive Train Control, American Indian Land, and 22,000 Antenna Towers That Need Permitting

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Brother Jonathan posted:

The system will require 22,000 radio transmitters to be placed along the railroads at intervals of one to two miles, and they will have antennas that communicate with the trains and with central computers. However, the antennas are not going to be on top of existing infrastructure but have to have a 15-foot hole dug in the ground for each of them, requiring an FCC license for each transmitter. The FCC pointed out that since PTC is federally mandated, the installation will have to be done in accordance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966. This meant that the FCC could not license the transmitters until each 15-foot hole had been inspected by representatives of the American Indian nations to determine if each site had historic Indian artifacts.

:psypop:

What?

Edit: Speaking of PTC, I've been wondering if it would be possible for railfans to pick up the signals and use them to determine train locations. Would the trains be transmitting their location to the towers, or would the system simply send out a signal to the train to stop if it wasn't slowing down for a red signal? Surely the train would have to be transmitting something for the system to decide whether it needed to intervene.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Just imagine that characters from Heller’s Catch-22 have been put in charge of implementing PTC, and then it will all make sense.