Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's because of the island flashbacks, the show moves so crazy fast because you have two stories going on at the same time. They have less time in the present so it's pretty fast because you have to wrap up that story in less time.

I'm still waiting on a Fan Edit of Arrow : Island Adventures.

Not a bad thing though , it makes it quick and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sober posted:

Well that was ...

One of those days I'm gonna use that line. And then get slapped.

It's a numbers game.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Hollismason posted:

It's because of the island flashbacks, the show moves so crazy fast because you have two stories going on at the same time. They have less time in the present so it's pretty fast because you have to wrap up that story in less time.

Interesting that one of the other tv shows I watch, Person of Interest, has multiple stories going on as well and is also pretty fast paced (I wouldn't say as fast as Arrow but certainly goes through arc stories quicker than every other show).

More TV shows need to have the balls Arrow has.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

The actor is John Barrowman. The fist shaking is a reference to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivOeugFS3K8

Yeah, the fact that his name looks like "B. Arrow Man" is just coincidence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The B stands for "bad" :ohdear:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

zoux posted:

The B stands for "bad" :ohdear:

The B stands for...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

The B stands for...

Haha.

I'm like a weird evangelist for this show, constantly telling my friends that it's a great show they should absolutely be watching while they look at me like I'm crazy. I was right about BSG and I'm right about this!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

zoux posted:

Haha.

I'm like a weird evangelist for this show, constantly telling my friends that it's a great show they should absolutely be watching while they look at me like I'm crazy. I was right about BSG and I'm right about this!

Eh, I keep doing the same with this and Hannibal, so far I haven't gotten any of my friends to watch either.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
To be fair, on paper there's no way this show or Hannibal should work. And yet...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Sleepy Hollow is on that 'this show should not work' list too.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I feel like a lot of other shows would use the "two simultaneous plots" thing to slow-roll it, and have one of them as "problem of the week" while the other advances the plot. Look at "Heroes" (actually, don't) - they constantly used having 87 different threads as the reason to keep barely pushing the main threads forward.

Realistically, there's no reason they couldn't have done this episode in "normal-show" fashion - just have Vertigo escape (classic "catch the bad guy or save the girl") and instead of cross-examining Moira, Laurel calls Ollie to the stand. Then you have a whole extra episode (make "State v. Queen" a two-parter) with Count Vertigo and "Moira on trial". Or decouple the two - instead of having Vertigo in this episode, have Arrow have to investigate something about some guy on the jury being intimidated by a copy-cat vigilante or something, and save Vertigo for later.

It's not because they only have time to do the story if they do it fast, the reason that they don't let arcs ("Laurel blames Arrow", "Arrow's no-kill rule", "State vs. Queen") drag on for half the season is to leave room for new arcs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The only arc that drags on and on is Laurel sucking. I already miss her sister from the main plot, at least she is in the island parts. Give Laurel a break and let her do something cool, without wallowing in self-pity or irrational hatred of the titular hero.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Torrannor posted:

The only arc that drags on and on is Laurel sucking. I already miss her sister from the main plot, at least she is in the island parts. Give Laurel a break and let her do something cool, without wallowing in self-pity or irrational hatred of the titular hero.

Just let her die and take artistic license to keep her sister as the canary.

I couldn't care less about Laurel's issues. I just want to not see her any more.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Just got a chance to watch this week's episode. To sum up my feelings:

Soothing Vapors posted:

I am 100% OK with any lame explanation they have for Malcolm surviving

This.

Robotnik DDS posted:

This is a stupid, terrible twist that undermines the whole plot and represents everything wrong with comics and soap operas and I am already over it because I want to see Barrowman chew the scenery all day long

Ha ha and this.

dreffen posted:

How is this show so good?

How?

And this.

Also: I just realized this episode that the uh, now-deceased tanker captain guy was The Haitian from Heroes. And then he goes and gets Sylar-ed. Oh well.

Vertigo was great, liked what the actor did with it. If he was going to go at some point, he went about as well as could have been expected and maybe more.

And add me to the list of people who hear "isn't" regarding Thea. Personally I almost feel like that would be the more interesting twist, as it might lead to a pretty nice Merlyn/Queen confrontation rather than a generic 'child breaks bonds with crazy parent to bond with exponentially crazier parent,' although knowing this show Barrowman will be all like "Hey Thea I'm your dad come join me!" and she'll use Roy's training to put a knife or two in him.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Seriously does anyone even understand the myth arc here? Brother Blood, League of Assassins, Merlyn who's the actual villain here and how is this show going to juggle this many subplots together?

Bitch, we're like a third of the way through the season, you can probably give it a few more episodes before absolutely needing to know how all the separate pieces fit together. Besides, with how good it has been with everything disconnected, imagine how wet your pants are going to get once it all starts coming together.

Wet, bitch. loving wet.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

No Butt Stuff posted:

Just let her die and take artistic license to keep her sister as the canary.

I couldn't care less about Laurel's issues. I just want to not see her any more.

She is sadly too popular for them to ditch her. Even though Sara is better in every way. They need to do some major work to salvage her. Right now she's just fulfilling all the necessary superhero's girlfriend stereotypes and pretty much nothing else.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 22, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

Even though Sara is better in every way.

Well, not at acting really.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Well, not at acting really.

Really? I thought she did quite well in the episode with her dad, especially since she held her own with Blackthorne, who loving killed it that ep.

Amell has really impressed me with his development into the role. I remember when the show started, we all thought he was juuuust good enough to lead the show, but the subtle differences in the way he plays island-Ollie vs. current-Ollie, and his line readings show he's a very capable actor. I think a lot of what makes this show so good is how good Amell is at selling Ollie/Arrow as a believable character.

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This is clearly the choice for the thread's smiley.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

zoux posted:

Really? I thought she did quite well in the episode with her dad, especially since she held her own with Blackthorne, who loving killed it that ep.

Amell has really impressed me with his development into the role. I remember when the show started, we all thought he was juuuust good enough to lead the show, but the subtle differences in the way he plays island-Ollie vs. current-Ollie, and his line readings show he's a very capable actor. I think a lot of what makes this show so good is how good Amell is at selling Ollie/Arrow as a believable character.

It's also helpful that he loving smiles and it's not all horribly depressing. You can kind of see him slowly break out of his shell in his interaction toward Diggle. Ollie is kind of a hothead in the books but he isn't a real "brooding", type character.

Amell really is good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It's a shame that Roy wasn't involved in the Vertigo plot, because now we'll never have this:

Mooseontheloose posted:

At least they kept part of Ollie's motive alive by not reviving Tommy. In fact, I think it creates some interesting story tension if they explain how BARROWMAN! came back.

Considering he's part of the League I'm guessing Lazarus Pit.

Torrannor posted:

At least, something other than having her stare slightly off camera all slack-jawed and dead-eyed.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 23, 2013

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

raditts posted:

Considering he's part of the League I'm guessing Lazarus Pit.

Well, I was thinking that if the writers don't want to bring those into play as a cheap resurrection MacGuffin that people often take them for, it could have been literally that he was faking it. Diggle and Oliver didn't exactly stick around to confirm the kill, and the League so far has been portrayed to make your average special agent look like a member of the padded helmets brigade. So some kind of deep meditation technique that slows your body's vitals to the point where they're undetectable to fake your own death isn't out of the question.

In fact, it's probably more likely than Lazarus Pits at the moment.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Since the city at large has been claiming that Malcolm was 'dead' and not 'missing', I'm going w/ Lazarus Pit

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
The city could've assumed he got trapped in the wreckage, I don't think any of them knew where he was when the earthquakes were happening.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Does plot speculation require spoilers? I'll do it anyway just in case.

Baseless prediction for Laurel's arc: Her time in the DA's office will leave her jaded and disillusioned with the legal system's ability to enact justice, will leave to accomplish her goals outside the system, gets injected with magic green crap, CANARY CRYYYYYYY.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hi liter posted:

Does plot speculation require spoilers? I'll do it anyway just in case.

Baseless prediction for Laurel's arc: Her time in the DA's office will leave her jaded and disillusioned with the legal system's ability to enact justice, will leave to accomplish her goals outside the system, gets injected with magic green crap, CANARY CRYYYYYYY.

But so far everything bad that's been done (that's affected her personally) has been her fault, as she sees it.

She doesn't HAVE any goals outside (or even within) her system, and she didn't even really blame Moira for the earthquake thing. I can't imagine any storyline being brought up where she thinks "the city's ability to meter out justice has failed my desire to deliver justice."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Do Ollie and Diggle and co. just never ever even scan the headlines to see if people are dead? The idea that they didn't notice Deadshot's miraculous escape or check that Merlyn was definitely dead is a little mindboggling.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

VagueRant posted:

Do Ollie and Diggle and co. just never ever even scan the headlines to see if people are dead? The idea that they didn't notice Deadshot's miraculous escape or check that Merlyn was definitely dead is a little mindboggling.

This season has shown that the police are lying their rear end's off trying not to look incompetent. How awful would the headlines be if they admitted to losing the body of the cities biggest mass murderer.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

frgildan posted:

This season has shown that the police are lying their rear end's off trying not to look incompetent. How awful would the headlines be if they admitted to losing the body of the cities biggest mass murderer.

That makes a lot of sense. Merlyn wasn't dead, he faked it enough to fool the paramedics (I can buy that), and had one of his lackeys steal him from the morgue before an autopsy. After the earthquake, no one was going to really care.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

How Malcolm managed to survive:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Habibi posted:

How Malcolm managed to survive:

Is that... really Barrowman as Superman?

:allears:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Is that... really Barrowman as Superman?

:allears:

Well I'm pretty sure those are just his Saturday night pajamas, but I can see how you'd get that impression .

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

And this, for him explaining himself on a talk show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XA1kCJXsCQ

I love how he immediately knows what Jonathan Ross is talking about.

omg chael crash posted:

IGN sucks. They have this episode "7.5" and said The Count was "lamer than ever".

I'm pretty sure they gave most of AvX(terrible, terrible Marvel comics crossover event) at least 8.5ish or higher. Apples and oranges and all that, but sheeeeesh man.

The secret is to not give a poo poo about what IGN thinks, because IGN is garbage.

pentyne posted:

Holy.

gently caress.

I literally cannot believe how fast this show moves yet how awesome the plot manages to be. The last minute of Arrow was better then almost anything else on TV.

What I love about this show is that it seems like they looked at the myriad other terrible superhero shows over the last decade, figured out what not to do, and optimized things for maximum entertainment. Does it look like some dumb relationship drama sideplot is going to derail the show? Surprise, rear end in a top hat, we turned that poo poo around before the cut to commercial! You say you don't care about getting bogged down with scenes from Moira's murder trial? We'll be in and out in one episode, fucker, and that includes the island flashback plot and a dude getting his chest cavity filled with arrowheads! In fact, in the time it took you to read this, that god damned trial is already over and we are on to bigger, better things! ARROW.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

raditts posted:

What I love about this show is that it seems like they looked at the myriad other terrible superhero shows over the last decade, figured out what not to do, and optimized things for maximum entertainment. Does it look like some dumb relationship drama sideplot is going to derail the show? Surprise, rear end in a top hat, we turned that poo poo around before the cut to commercial! You say you don't care about getting bogged down with scenes from Moira's murder trial? We'll be in and out in one episode, fucker, and that includes the island flashback plot and a dude getting his chest cavity filled with arrowheads! In fact, in the time it took you to read this, that god damned trial is already over and we are on to bigger, better things! ARROW.

Are the creators different than those of The Tomorrow People? Because Amellsday is sharply divided, Arrow is great, TTP is mediocre at best.

The romantic relationships alone are worth praising. Thea and Roy have been together how long? Nearly half of all Arrow episodes at least. And the show is not spamming us with endless relationship drama. It is probably reflective of tv shows in general that the mere absence of romantic bullshit is worth praising, but I really appreciate it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One of the producers is the same, from a team of 3 for both.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Are the creators different than those of The Tomorrow People? Because Amellsday is sharply divided, Arrow is great, TTP is mediocre at best.

The romantic relationships alone are worth praising. Thea and Roy have been together how long? Nearly half of all Arrow episodes at least. And the show is not spamming us with endless relationship drama. It is probably reflective of tv shows in general that the mere absence of romantic bullshit is worth praising, but I really appreciate it.

They're also treating Thea and Roy as 'two people who like each other' rather than 'two people who emit exotic drama particles when in close proximity.' What I'm trying to say is they're writing them like two people in a relationship, rather than two plot devices. It's refreshing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

They're also treating Thea and Roy as 'two people who like each other' rather than 'two people who emit exotic drama particles when in close proximity.' What I'm trying to say is they're writing them like two people in a relationship, rather than two plot devices. It's refreshing.

As much as I really don't care about either character, this is completely true and probably why I don't hate them like Laurel. Ollie has the best "no-kill" rule implementation ever: He's not a big baby about it. He realizes that he's a huge badass and can solve problems without murdering people, but he's not going to hesitate to drop a dude when he needs to. Which makes sense, because after the whole first season and 5 years on the island, Ollie has probably killed over a hundred people. That is not an amount of killing that someone does and then just decides "I think killing is wrong now".

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I like Amell's acting primarily because you get a great sense that he's a guy barely keeping his rage in check for much of the first season. He's like a much better controlled and more PG-13 version of Seth Bullock.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Do people who have rewatched the early episodes think that Amell needed to grow into the role or that his stiffness was an acting choice?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rarity posted:

Do people who have rewatched the early episodes think that Amell needed to grow into the role or that his stiffness was an acting choice?

I haven't gone back to watch the first season but I always took it as a deliberate acting thing - season 1 Ollie, although we're just seeing it now, was worn down to where he was barely 'human'. He basically had to learn how to engage with his family and society in general all over again. His acting was wooden because he was trying to convince everyone he was just an everyday joe but he basically no longer knew/remembered how to be anything but a survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Rarity posted:

The former. I don't think he's as great an actor now as many people in this thread suggest he is.

• Locked thread