Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Do these planes not have gps? What the hell man

1stGear posted:

Jet needs to lay off the upper body exercises and stop skipping leg day.

More like its pilots need to lay off the booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

BaconAndBullets posted:

Most of that is fairly simple. Pretty much all of those nose arts are based off of Milwaukee/WI based companies, landmarks, or just straight up Wisconsinite type stuff (the Buck). King Kong is a little odd but he's hanging off of the Mitchell International air traffic control tower, where the ANG air wing is based out of. If you ever fly in to it you'll see all sorts of KC-135s just chilling there.

I'm honestly disappointed that the WI ANG only has KC-135s and F-16s further up north AFAIK. I want them to have some C-130s so I can live out one of my airborne dreams of jumping outta a WI tagged C-130 onto Badger DZ... a grown boy who grew up in Milwaukee can dream.

What unit in WI is going to jump? FWIW, I saw some dudes jumping from a C-130 at McCoy this past Summer, no idea who they were though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

genderstomper58 posted:

Vas make it so Grover and mot can only talk to each other

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

stevenolson88
Sep 30, 2009

BaconAndBullets posted:

I'm honestly disappointed that the WI ANG only has KC-135s and F-16s further up north AFAIK. I want them to have some C-130s so I can live out one of my airborne dreams of jumping outta a WI tagged C-130 onto Badger DZ... a grown boy who grew up in Milwaukee can dream.

Hey, I grew up in Cedarburg. Went to college at UW-Milwaukee. That is quite a dream.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

What unit in WI is going to jump? FWIW, I saw some dudes jumping from a C-130 at McCoy this past Summer, no idea who they were though.

From what I'm tracking there are no airborne units in the WI NG. The only unit I can think of jumping is 19th Group out of Chicago or maybe some NG/Reserve Civil Affairs. I only learned about Badger DZ from this video, just a reminder feet and knees together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOsGnaeT03k

Edit: Hell yeah stevenolson, I actually grew up in Mequon and went to Homestead Highschool.

BaconAndBullets fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 22, 2013

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm WI ARNG. You're correct, no airborne units in this state. I think Indiana or Michigan have some sort of airborne units in addition to the SF guys in Chicago.

I'm originally from the Milwaukee area and live in Madison these days. :toot::hf:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 22, 2013

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,
mmm...Grover

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Well, at least the flight crew only had to drive a few miles to go clean out their desks.

Really it's almost eerily like the Peter O'Knight landing: smaller civil field with the same runway heading, located in the approach corridor. Of course, it's one runway not two, and there isn't an air museum or a giant fuckoff ramp full of KC-135s attached to it...
Cross-check your navaids, kids.

stevenolson88
Sep 30, 2009

BaconAndBullets posted:

Edit: Hell yeah stevenolson, I actually grew up in Mequon and went to Homestead Highschool.

Small world. Went to Cedarburg High School.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm WI ARNG. You're correct, no airborne units in this state. I think Indiana or Michigan have some sort of airborne units in addition to the SF guys in Chicago.

I'm originally from the Milwaukee area and live in Madison these days. :toot::hf:

Michigan had an airborne LRS company for a while but it disbanded in 2011, not sure what else would have jump status these days.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The radio traffic is kinda funny as well.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

That Brit's got an awesome moto patch.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

http://www.vrazvedka.ru/main/learning/ruk-b/fairbairn-01.shtml

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The wehrmacht was into some kinky poo poo.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The feared Backbrecher.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I bet if you snuck some Toms of Finland in there, few would've noticed.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

I bet if you snuck some Toms of Finland in there, few would've noticed.

lol

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:

That is some genius poo poo right there.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

I legit don't understand how you can land a plane at the wrong airport in a day and age when every commercial aircraft (in the US at least) had GPS onboard. :psyduck:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Can-O-Raid posted:

I legit don't understand how you can land a plane at the wrong airport in a day and age when every commercial aircraft (in the US at least) had GPS onboard. :psyduck:

When you're at the trailing end of your duty time, you're staring at approach lighting, and someone says "cleared visual approach," sometimes you forget to double check...

It happens not too infrequently down here, KMIA and KOPF have very similar runway layouts, and are only a few miles apart.

It used to happen a LOT.

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004
They were never cleared visual. They were cleared the RNAV. If they bothered to load the approach or pay attention to their MFDs, then they would've realized where they were.

I think they were more lazy and complacent than anything .

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The best part is when they ask for the coordinates of where they landed.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Doctor Sex Butts posted:

That is some genius poo poo right there.

I don't get it...is he breaking his own leg? :confused:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

I don't get it...is he breaking his own leg? :confused:

It is locking his legs up. If he isn't able to use his hands to get up, it is nearly physically impossible to stand up from that position.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

It is locking his legs up. If he isn't able to use his hands to get up, it is nearly physically impossible to stand up from that position.

Yeah, I still don't get why you would want to do that.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

EDIT: /\/\ Look at the guys uniform. It's not telling YOU to do that, but to force someone else to do so.

Carteret posted:

Yeah, I still don't get why you would want to do that.

Ahh, I get it now. Thanks.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 24, 2013

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
To quote from the linked page-

quote:

B -"The Grape Vine"
Select a tree, post, or lamp-post of about seven inches in diameter.
Make your prisoner climb on the tree as in Fig. 100.
Place his right leg around the front of the tree, with his foot to the left. Place his left leg over his right ankle, as in Fig. 101, and take his left foot back behind the tree.
Force him well down the pole until the weight of his body locks his left foot around the tree, as in Fig. 102.
Note. - Even though you have left your prisoner's hands free, it will, if he has been forced well down the tree, be almost impossible for him to escape. Normally, the average man placed in this position would get cramp in one or both legs within ten to fifteen minutes, when it is not at all unlikely that he would throw himself backwards. This would kill him.
Caution. - To release your prisoner: Two persons are necessary, one on either side. Take hold of his legs and lift him up the tree; then unlock his legs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is that dude supposed to be 20 feet off the ground instead of 6 inches or what? Ain't nobody dying from throwing themselves off backwards at that height.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I think the idea is that if you throw yourself backwards from that position you're going to rupture your femoral artery in a very interesting fashion.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can someone who has pole tortured a guy please clear this up

And I don't mean torturing a guy's pole

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011
I'm pretty sure that's what the finnish ranger equivalents were taught at some point called a "sissilukko" (a rangers lock ) and considering it was/is something used as a prank by showing any unsuspecting victims how to do it and then leavening them hugging some lamppost, I seriously doubt it can be deadly.

Edit:
You can die by staying on a toilet seat for too long. It makes your leggs feel really funny, but isn't that effective, because someone strong enough or flexible enough can free themselves from it. Also, I was offered a chance to see it for myself by getting to spend some time with a lamppost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EoOgdI1MXs How a sissilukko is done.

Hajotus Maximus fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 24, 2013

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Hajotus Maximus posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what the finnish ranger equivalents were taught at some point called a "sissilukko" (a rangers lock ) and considering it was/is something used as a prank by showing any unsuspecting victims how to do it and then leavening them hugging some lamppost, I seriously doubt it can be deadly.

Edit:
You can die by staying on a toilet seat for too long. It makes your leggs feel really funny, but isn't that effective, because someone strong enough or flexible enough can free themselves from it. Also, I was offered a chance to see it for myself by getting to spend some time with a lamppost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EoOgdI1MXs How a sissilukko is done.

The modern version is making the guy hug a thick tree while sitting down and then zip tieing their thunbs together.

Behold, a soviet APC from the fifties. Comes with a permanent smoke generator.

T-55 vs. 30 mm APFSDS.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I can't embedded it, but the New Yorker put together an excellent video summary of the work I've done identifying the munition used in the August 21st Sarin attack in Damascus, Syria. The explosive version of the same type of munition is pictured below, in Homs

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I've always wondered, what exactly is that dude doing?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I think he's holding one of those giant flags and making it wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

I think he's holding one of those giant flags and making it wave.

This. You can imagine whatever you like though!

• Locked thread