Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's great in Hung and Queer as Folk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I also think the writing DRAMATICALLY improved from early episodes. I think their plotting has always been better than the average serialized show - but Amell and company had to deliver some very stilted lines.

I introduced a friend to the pilot a few weeks back and was shocked by how weak some of the dialogue actually is. Even the best of actors struggle with turning turds into sunshine.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, that initial order is really, really kind of weak compared to what we ended up getting after the midseason break and retooling. I was rewatching bits of it on the blu-rays with a friend and it was STARK.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I was rewatching bits of it on the blu-rays with a friend and it was STARK.

No, that's the other guy. He's Queen.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I'm just going to go and drop this in because even though it's a Dr Who 50th anniversary thing, there's more than enough Barrowman for this thread.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

One of the things I liked during Amell's initial performance was that you could see him want to say something and then lock his emotions down. Someone would come in and you could see the mask go on.

Improving the writing in the second half certainly helped things.

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ookiimarukochan posted:

I'm just going to go and drop this in because even though it's a Dr Who 50th anniversary thing, there's more than enough :argh: BARROWMAN :argh: for this thread.

Fixed that for you.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
I did a complete rewatch not too log ago and I feel like most of that season 1 stuff was acting choices. His take on the character read as fully realized right out the gate, at least to me.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

jscolon2.0 posted:

The actor is John Barrowman. The fist shaking is a reference to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivOeugFS3K8

I didn't ever connect that actor with his other roles until just now. I'm so bad at people. This makes a lot of comments make much more sense, thank you.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Someone mentioned earlier that Katie Cassidy's face looked a bit plastic-y in the last episode, and I was thinking the same thing while watching the last episode. I think she may have gotten some lipo done on her chin and jawline.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DFu4ever posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that Katie Cassidy's face looked a bit plastic-y in the last episode, and I was thinking the same thing while watching the last episode. I think she may have gotten some lipo done on her chin and jawline.

I was going to agree with you except I realized you weren't talking about Caity Lotz. The actress who plays Black Canary (while I'm not saying she looks unattractive or is somehow a bad person) has a jaw and lips that seem plasticky and unnaturally puffy sometimes. Maybe it's all the shadows that make it more noticeable.

I actually think she looks really cute normally, but her features are very unique.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 25, 2013

fballnlife91
Nov 22, 2010

DFu4ever posted:

Yeah it looks like she got some type of work done. Her chin looks so angular it's really distracting.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
They've probably just changed her makeup to make her look more severe. A way to show her deterioration and depression.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody is getting surgery in the middle of a drat production season, and lipo doesn't look like that.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

She's looked off since this season started. Definitely had some work done.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Probably botox or Juvederm, not lipo. Everyone and their brother is getting botox at younger and younger ages, its scary. And for actors whose entire job is to be able to emote via facial expressions, it makes no sense to me to FREEZE SELECTED MUSCLES IN YOUR FACE.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 25, 2013

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Oracle posted:

it makes no sense to me to FREEZE SELECTED MUSCLES IN YOUR FACE.

Not to be a dick, but I'm pretty sure looking as inhumanly pretty as possible is a pretty big part of their jobs, and they are under reasonably high pressure to maintain that look.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

It looked like to me like either she just got a ton of neck muscle or somehow her chin got smaller.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I don't know what the hell you guys are on, but it looked like she lost a couple pounds and that's it. She didn't have much to lose it from, so it went from her face. I also don't think she's a bad actor, either, they're just having trouble giving her worthwhile stuff to do.

fballnlife91
Nov 22, 2010

Kruller posted:

I don't know what the hell you guys are on, but it looked like she lost a couple pounds and that's it. She didn't have much to lose it from, so it went from her face. I also don't think she's a bad actor, either, they're just having trouble giving her worthwhile stuff to do.

Now that I think about it, losing weight seems like the more likely possibility. I don't know though something about her chin seems off.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
It's Katie Cassidy (Laurel)'s birthday today, don't be mean to her! :mad:

... God they need to find something for that character to do. Every other part of the show is lightyears ahead of her and the gap's only getting wider.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ville Valo posted:

It's Katie Cassidy (Laurel)'s birthday today, don't be mean to her! :mad:

... God they need to find something for that character to do. Every other part of the show is lightyears ahead of her and the gap's only getting wider.

Yeah, she literally has no role on the show. Can you imagine how much more she's going to hate herself everyone else/her dad once she discovers Black Canary's her sister and she's been alive all this time?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Drifter posted:

Yeah, she literally has no role on the show. Can you imagine how much more she's going to hate herself everyone else/her dad once she discovers Black Canary's her sister and she's been alive all this time?

They really needed a Dark Knight arc that shows the Gotham style 'revolving door' prison problem. That way Blackthorn could be the Commissioner Gordon, and Cassidy could be the crusading prosecutor who locks them away for good. And occasionally both go to Oliver to get help on a particularly nasty hardcase who they can't pin down. Blackthorn's missions being more beat em ups and Cassidy's being more investigation oriented.

:j: "A key witness in the Blackhawks case has gone missing! It has to be foul play!"
:black101: "I'll look into it..."
:clint: "Someone's pushing Vertigo again. A few kids from an illegal club in the Glades showed up in the hospital last night."
:black101: "I pay the owner a visit. He'll tell us where he's getting the goods. Because he has another shoulder."

Basically take Laurel back to what she was in Season 1 with more focus on the law and court parts of her existence.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Kruller posted:

I'm not saying anything really, I just noticed a stark contrast between earlier episodes and her close-up when she is talking/running away from Oliver in the courthouse. It looked like she just developed a ton of neck muscle, but losing weight from her face would make sense too.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Orrrr she's secretly a Cardassian.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FYI, the Blu-ray set of season one is on sale at Amazon right now for $16.99. It includes Blu-rays and DVDs. I would buy this right now if you can. That's about as cheap as it's likely to ever get.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Warmachine posted:

They really needed a Dark Knight arc that shows the Gotham style 'revolving door' prison problem. That way Blackthorn could be the Commissioner Gordon, and Cassidy could be the crusading prosecutor who locks them away for good. And occasionally both go to Oliver to get help on a particularly nasty hardcase who they can't pin down. Blackthorn's missions being more beat em ups and Cassidy's being more investigation oriented.

:j: "A key witness in the Blackhawks case has gone missing! It has to be foul play!"
:black101: "I'll look into it..."
:clint: "Someone's pushing Vertigo again. A few kids from an illegal club in the Glades showed up in the hospital last night."
:black101: "I pay the owner a visit. He'll tell us where he's getting the goods. Because he has another shoulder."

Basically take Laurel back to what she was in Season 1 with more focus on the law and court parts of her existence.

So turn the show into Law and Arrow?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

And, in addition to all the other great plot threads going on, there is Amanda Waller and her Taskforce Strikeforce X. This is a show which has Bronze Tiger, Deathstroke, Deadshot and others running around. I really think we are likely to see the Suicide Squad on the show, perhaps for the finale.

Oh I'd love it if we get to see another of Slade's pals from the Australian military.
Captain Digger "Boomerang" Harkins. They call him Boomerang, because no matter the mission, he always comes back!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

The :doink: sound can replaced by arrows going into people's chests.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

The Question IRL posted:

Oh I'd love it if we get to see another of Slade's pals from the Australian military.
Captain Digger "Boomerang" Harkins. They call him Boomerang, because no matter the mission, he always comes back!

In all seriousness though I bet he shows up in the Flash spinoff.

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 26, 2013

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

bbf2 posted:

In all seriousness though I bet he shows up in the Flash spinoff.

Honestly, the Flash villains should be the easiest to bring to the screen, even him.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Deadpool posted:

FYI, the Blu-ray set of season one is on sale at Amazon right now for $16.99. It includes Blu-rays and DVDs. I would buy this right now if you can. That's about as cheap as it's likely to ever get.

Thought about doing this even though I don't have a blu-ray player.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Thank you kind sir. I've been wanting to pick it up for a while so I can force my friends and family to watch it. $17.00 bucks for the bluray is an absolute steal.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Mooseontheloose posted:

The :doink: sound can replaced by arrows going into people's chests.

Exactly. :c00lbert:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

There's a lightning deal for the Arrow Blurays at 12:20 PM PST Thursday as well, I'm waiting until then.

Now being able to pick up all of Spartacus for just over $50... that's tempting right now.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

This would be pretty cool.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Oh no!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Any wild guesses on who's gonna die? Other than Laurel/Sarah. Maybe in flashback lands?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I think it's way too early to kill off Sarah.

I can't really hazard a guess save for maybe Shado on the island? Or Thea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe it'll be Barrowman again.

Just kill the guy off every appearance.

• Locked thread