Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
No, flail around my arms like a 5 year old. But with slightly more precision and force.

Besides, she make titties every morning out of paper towels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Brawny

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

eriktown posted:

It's not just Star Trek; there were actors from basically every major TV space opera series. Star Trek, Firefly, Farscape/Stargate (a twofer, thanks to Claudia Black), BSG and so on. I don't think anyone from Babylon 5 was involved, but that's about it...

Robin Atkin Downes (Byron) was in the first Mass Effect.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish they had recorded Avery Brooks saying something over the DS9 theme.

And maybe Jon Lovitz over the Voyager theme.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

mp5 posted:

The one thing I'll say for Into Darkness is it doesn't have a way-too-long close-up of either of the antagonists the way '09 does.

Pretty much everything else is the same though

That movie was dildos and either three re-writes away from or past comprehensibility, but I will give it this: Addressing the morality of drone strikes head on was a very topical and Trek-like thing to do, and I award them some points for doing so.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Robin Atkin Downes (Byron) was in the first Mass Effect.

You get to punch him to death in Halo 2.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

A huge holographic Jon Lovitz in space, beating the poo poo out of holographic Andy Dick.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Someone needs to put a loop of "IT'SSSS REEEEEAAAAAAALLLLLL!!" over the opening credits.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, can you think of a quicker perker-upper?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What was the TNG episode with the Starfleet guy who turned intp a weeaboo for Romulans and defected?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Otisburg posted:

What was the TNG episode with the Starfleet guy who turned intp a weeaboo for Romulans and defected?

"Face of the Enemy," i.e. The One Where Troi Is A Romulan.

I'm pretty sure the actor showed up again in that Star Trek: Borg game as the captain of the Righteous.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Captain New York Fatass!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, rarely have I heard the neckbeard chorus so loud and united, ceasing the internal struggles of which theme music was best and if they really poo poo into the replicators or not. DS9 is good, multiple chins wobbled together to cry it was the best in fact, I cannot question such certainty.

The original TOS movies, certainly the Genesis arc, are pertty much the best Trek I know. If you've been watching some TOS and then switch over, particularly if you indulge in a bit of whacky weed to revert your brain to it's teenage form, I really can't think of anything that comes close.

JJ Trek was fun, well I though 2009 was, not Darkness.. but JJ Trek was never epic like those TOS movie epics were. The space epic is dead, noone will pay to sit through an orchestral prelude or be content with opening credits rolling over a starscape (sometimes for a loving long time).

Let see about this DS9 then..

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
On the other hand, I just rewatched Search for Spock (since it's on Netflix), and, well, aside from nostalgia and a few great moments...that was pretty poo poo. I'm revising it to be below Generations - meaning the only movies it beats are Final Frontier, Insurrection, and The Film Which Must Not Be Named.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You take SfS in context though. Most, even very good, sci fi novels have a chapter or two where the pew pew stops and things slow down and you do wonder what the gently caress is this about. It's that calm before the storm, that pacing.. if you just watch SfS on its own it's kinda out of context. Although I still remember the last time I watched it I still thought it was good.

Worse than Generations? Seriously, dude? But although the ending was pretty drat weak, I though Final Frontier was interesting just because of the weird antagonist. You're also well into the grip of the TOS cast love (or hate I guess, *shrug*) at that point and there are some great scenes in there.

TNG movies.. there are all a blur of poo to me. Even First Contact I didn't enjoy.

Although what was the one with Kirk climbing the mountain.. that was pretty loving terrible.

edit: haha that is Final Frontier. Yeah there was some really cheesy poo poo in there too. Anyways, orchestral music and low slow shots of ships.. often slow pacing and slow and careful script.. a general kind of respect for space and all we didn't know.. it just seems to be lost to a degree. Gotta have the fifty action shots a second and it's a totally different kind of movie.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 23, 2013

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Generations had some good performances, at least. It's very watchable. You have to dig deep into the credits of Search for Spock to find an actor who isn't hamming the gently caress out of the abysmal script. The lack of Nimoy (and Nichols, for the majority of the film) really harms the acting dynamic. The only person who isn't chewing up their lines and spitting them out is New Saavik, who is so unbelievable as a Vulcan she makes chopsticks look bendy. All of the non-practical effects were cheesy in their day; now they are just laughable.

That isn't to say that the movie doesn't get quite a few things right, most notably the space shots. The Bird of Prey has never looked prettier, and the refit Enterprise gets a final outing with the best lighting and angles she's ever had. I really like the Klingons; they're at once incredibly antagonistic and totally believable as antagonists to the Federation.

Actually, my largest beef with the film is that Sarek says that Vulcans do the katra thing whenever their life is in jeopardy, but then at the end of the film T'Pau says it hasn't been done since TIME UNWRITTEN or some poo poo. What? Which is it, movie?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's also that it's part of the trilogy, for me. That Genesis trilogy, it still blows my mind. Has anything other sci-fi come close as a continuous epic story? Really only the original Star Wars comes to mind, and it's certainly hard to call but just the continuity of the Trek one I find so cool.

Spock loving dies, really loving dies, the the whole next movie is finding him somehow again, then on the way home (Spock still wearing his weird burial getup) they run into some poo poo. Now does the One with the Whales compare to Return of the Jedi? Hrm poo poo, I guess not.. but the Star Wars trilogy works because of the perfect bridging Empire Strikes Back does between the standalone that is A New Hope and the ending. Genesis starts strong and ends weak and Star Wars the reverse (although A New Hope is a better film than Transparent Aluminum).

I guess its part of that epic feeling, like reading a long rear end book series where you've learned the characters and world well and you're totally drawn in (however silly it might get) that makes me think so highly of the Genesis trilogy and it's constituents.

Posting hard about 80s sci-fi in 2013.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Dude, it's like, barely six hours; that's hardly epic. Lord of the Rings Extended Edition is Epic - you need to block out an entire day to watch that poo poo, and that's not counting the appendices (which include an order of magnitude more material). The Star Wars saga is Epic, even if it's at least 50% bad. I loving love Star Trek, and have an undying adoration for Wrath of Khan, but the followup films are kinda...eh. It wasn't until Undiscovered Country that Star Trek rebounded - and it was a deep, dark pit they fell in to by the time of Final Frontier.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
No matter how lame you find Kirk kicking Kruge is, at least that movie connects points A to C.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

The Dark One posted:

No matter how lame you find Kirk kicking Kruge is, at least that movie connects points A to C.

I!

HAVE HAD!

ENOUGH!

OF YOU!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Gau posted:

Dude, it's like, barely six hours; that's hardly epic. Lord of the Rings Extended Edition is Epic - you need to block out an entire day to watch that poo poo, and that's not counting the appendices (which include an order of magnitude more material). The Star Wars saga is Epic, even if it's at least 50% bad. I loving love Star Trek, and have an undying adoration for Wrath of Khan, but the followup films are kinda...eh. It wasn't until Undiscovered Country that Star Trek rebounded - and it was a deep, dark pit they fell in to by the time of Final Frontier.

Double dumbass on you, Voyage Home is rad.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bad Moon posted:

Double dumbass on you, Voyage Home is rad.

I concur with this poster's colorful metaphor.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I do actually think Voyage Home is rad too :) Something about taking a current generation person into a starship and watching them freak out about the transporters is always fun.

Star Wars isn't any longer, unless you're counting the prequels and seriously.. you're counting the prequels? I don't mean epic in actual movie length, sure LoTR is epic - but in the feeling of the long and twisting story and flying all over the galaxy to resolve it and seeing battle scars on the bird of prey in Voyage Home and knowing where they came from in Search for Spock.. I just can't think of another space trilogy like it.. epic or not. If you start off with Space Seed as well.. I just think it's cool.

Also sitting there for six hours and watching movies, I've never done that. I'll watch them over a few days but jesus.. I need to get up and do something not Trek for a bit. But as I've never seen DS9, I guess that's obvious :)

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Gau posted:

Sarek says that Vulcans do the katra thing whenever their life is in jeopardy, but then at the end of the film T'Pau says it hasn't been done since TIME UNWRITTEN or some poo poo. What? Which is it, movie?

What hadn't been done since TIME UNWRITTEN was the rejoining of a displaced katra with its host body, not the "here have my soul" mindmeld thing.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

LooseChanj posted:

The "here have my soul" mindmeld thing.

Makes you wonder what the etiquette would be with just leaving your soul with someone. I'm sure you wouldn't want to leave it with just ANY scrub that's nearby, but what if you're about to die and the only one around is someone like Neelix? If normally you don't expect to be reborn like Spock, do you really want to give your soul to someone lovely and be stuck there? Or, what if some rear end in a top hat Vulcan just throws his soul into you and bam you're stuck with some jerk wad in your head for the rest of your life.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I still can't believe Ron Moore helped write Generations. He made up for it with BSG though. One thing I hated in that movie was the medicore interaction with Kirk and Picard, such a letdown.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Even if BSG hadn't happened, I could forgive Generations because All Good Things was so good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apple Jax posted:

Makes you wonder what the etiquette would be with just leaving your soul with someone. I'm sure you wouldn't want to leave it with just ANY scrub that's nearby, but what if you're about to die and the only one around is someone like Neelix? If normally you don't expect to be reborn like Spock, do you really want to give your soul to someone lovely and be stuck there? Or, what if some rear end in a top hat Vulcan just throws his soul into you and bam you're stuck with some jerk wad in your head for the rest of your life.

I don't think it's meant to be permanent if you have to shove it in someone unexpectedly; in theory, had Spock not been reborn, McCoy would've travelled to Vulcan and passed it on to someone else better suited.

In Enterprise there are vessels which will store a Katra over the long term; the writers of JJTrek say the the guys Spock rescued from Vulcan carried a number of these, including Surak's.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 24, 2013

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Bicyclops posted:

I'd guess it'd be something like this...

http://www.youtubemixer.net?ids=1546

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I think we can all at least agree this is the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxR-jwSjWv4

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgQidVzdneE

I'm on hour 2

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ

Talking about kirk climbing the mountain always makes me think of this.

also the movie with the whales was the best one tied with kahn no joke, it was funny, the plot was interesting, everyone had character moments, well produced. the thing with whales was not TOO out of left field but enough that you could believe it and it made total sense. it all owned.

Trials and Tribble-ations had more interaction between kirk and INSERT CURRENT CAPTAIN than generations did, and shatner was actually on the loving set of generations.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
they're people who hate The Voyage Home what world am I living in

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I like The Voyage Home just fine, but it doesn't age all that well. Every time I've seen it, I've liked it a little bit less. Being comedy based for much of it, the jokes just aren't very funny on repeat viewing. Where-as, every time I watch The Wrath of Khan I like it a little bit more.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

rocket_man38 posted:

Recycled plot ideas, Thank you Berman and Braga.

The magnificent ferengi was awesome.

But even if it wasn't it'd still own because it has iggy pop. Heck you could put iggy pop in loving B5 crusade and it'd turn from the worst sci-fi spin off ever to the best one because iggy pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMtH58M3HXA

(Not actually a blooper, its just Iggy off his loving tits)

edit: I have a love hate relationship with the Ferengi episodes on DS9. Most of them are pretty awesome (and a few duds) but its more a thing about the structure of the whole show. The show would set up this super tense scenario with the dominion war or whatever, and then blow the build up with a whacky ferengi shenanigans episode. Don't get me wrong, theres some loving hilarious stuff in there, but more thought needed to go into the show-to-show pacing. The show was basically awesome but suffered from terrible ADHD.

This is why I'd love to see a new star trek series done on Cable by something like AMC or some sort of network not afraid to do a season in 8-16 episodes, with a proper unified story arc B5 style (and to an extent what DS9 was trying to do when it wasnt aflicted by chronic ADHD) and the sense of filmic quality starting to emerge on some of the better recent shows.

Give it a JJ Trek sense of aesthetics (love or hate JJ, the two JJ trek films *look* loving amazing, lensflare sillyness notwithstanding), a Babylon 5 sense of story arc, maybe throw in some of the gritty realism of BSG and then put it in the mainline star trek continuum, possibly post dominion war , focusing around the Romulan threat and you'd have my perfect trek.

edit2: On the subject of season length. I'm in the process of watching TNG after about 20 years. Man they seriously didn't know how to do old dude makeup on this show.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 24, 2013

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Lion posted:

also the movie with the whales was the best one tied with kahn no joke, it was funny, the plot was interesting, everyone had character moments, well produced. the thing with whales was not TOO out of left field but enough that you could believe it and it made total sense. it all owned.

I have come home :)

After the slowness of the end of Search for Spock, it's just what you want. It was still very Trek (thinking scifi, not action movie) too, the whole uber-probe and.. hold on.. is it trying to communicate? I do remember the pretty ridiculous leap Spock makes to oh poo poo, thats whales guys, but meh then they go loving back in time by hooking around the sun which has spawned multiple spinoffs in other media and remains a scifi fuckyeah moment.

Does The Voyage Home own?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfts9WLXINE

Yeah. It owns.

Search for Spock owns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeLqsvFO31o

Yeah. It owns.

Wrath of Kahn is a no brainer - it's like you don't want it to end and it doesn't, it goes on for two more movies! Will my kids enjoy Genesis like I did? I dunno, but I watched it for the first time in my late twenties.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Tony Montana posted:

I have come home :)

After the slowness of the end of Search for Spock, it's just what you want. It was still very Trek (thinking scifi, not action movie) too, the whole uber-probe and.. hold on.. is it trying to communicate? I do remember the pretty ridiculous leap Spock makes to oh poo poo, thats whales guys, but meh then they go loving back in time by hooking around the sun which has spawned multiple spinoffs in other media and remains a scifi fuckyeah moment.

Actually the slingshot time travel manouver has always bugged me. Like, yes you can slingshot off a heavy gravitational body for more speed , its basic newtonian mechanics. But this implies FTL, and one thing about the warp drive is it isn't *actually* FTL, but warping space itself to do an end-run around relativity. No matter how fast you start off with, you'll never break the light speed limit with a slingshot! Plus making something the size of a starship actually going faster than light outside magical space-folding on a slingshot is going to kick up so much radiation from red-shifting the gently caress out of everything, it'd murderize anything within a few AU.

Actual IRL relativistic speed travel would be insanely dangerous to bystanders. At 99% of C, 1kg of matter would have a kinetic energy of a 130 megatonne bomb.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 24, 2013

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

duck monster posted:

(Not actually a blooper, its just Iggy off his loving tits)

jesus, you think that's awesome? I had to push stop pretty quickly.

duck monster posted:

edit: I have a love hate relationship with the Ferengi episodes on DS9. Most of them are pretty awesome (and a few duds) but its more a thing about the structure of the whole show. The show would set up this super tense scenario with the dominion war or whatever, and then blow the build up with a whacky ferengi shenanigans episode.

This is a big reason I haven't watched DS9, I just couldn't stand that Ferengi bullshit from what I saw and it gave me an 'ew, I'm watching NerdTrek' feeling.

duck monster posted:

Give it a JJ Trek sense of aesthetics (love or hate JJ, the two JJ trek films *look* loving amazing, lensflare sillyness notwithstanding)

Most modern films look amazing. That's the whole problem. The substance has often gone, its all sizzle and no steak. World War Z looked great. Into Darkness looked great. Prometheus looked great. These were all lovely boring films, I thought so anyway. Too many hipsters who know 3D Studio Max or whatever (probably showing my age) backwards on their Apple computers and love drinking cappuccinos as opposed to nerdy guys that devour countless books under the bed covers so when they're tasked with writing a conclusion.. they come up with some out there poo poo.

edit:

duck monster posted:

Actually the slingshot time travel manouver has always bugged me. Like, yes you can slingshot off a heavy gravitational body for more speed , its basic newtonian mechanics. But this implies FTL, and one thing about the warp drive is it isn't *actually* FTL, but warping space itself to do an end-run around relativity. No matter how fast you start off with, you'll never break the light speed limit with a slingshot! Plus making something the size of a starship actually going faster than light outside magical space-folding on a slingshot is going to kick up so much radiation from red-shifting the gently caress out of everything, it'd murderize anything within a few AU

haha holy poo poo bro, I would like to watch some TOS with you sometime :) It's the One with the Whales.. gently caress it!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

duck monster just retcon it into the tons of other idiot ways people willingly went in time. chronotons or tachyons or quarks illegal crystals or the loving bajoran orb of time who cares, they went back in time willingly is all that matters.

people that sperg out about the how and not the why are the reason half of trek is awful stilted dialogue that means literally nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yeah yeah I know. I just wish they'd use a bajoran time orb or something instead of bad science. At least with "chronotons" or whatever theres a big sign saying "chill out geeks, its just a macguffin"

• Locked thread