Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

There's a farmers coop on the way into town that sells ethanol free gas, I always gas up there. Same price as E10 even.

http://pure-gas.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Got a modern MOSFET rectifier / regulator to swap in, hopefully this will help my crummy battery charging.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Put it into hibernation.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
By finally replacing the status LED for the alarm, I finished the last job on my "Meh, I should probably fix that at some point" list, this one dating back to March. In doing so I noticed some other stuff to put on next years list, including fixing up the really lovely job I did wiring up the alarm LED.

I was going to make an attempt at winterproofing it but it was too cold and I couldn't be arsed. So, same as every winter. To be honest I've already replaced almost all of the fasteners with Pro-Bolt items so there's not much that actually needs protection.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Spent 6 hours carefully scraping decades of carbon buildup off a piston and my valve chambers with a tiny flathead screwdriver.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I finally got around to painting my airbox cover.

Once it finally cures, it's going to be a fun bus ride home.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

I don't see the point of draining the carbs just for a few months of storage through the winter.

If you get dock gas, there isn't much point. Otherwise ethanol is the point.

Safety dance you bastard, now I have to paint the uly not-green. Maybe gold I guess.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 27, 2013

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
It's pretty easy to get non ethanol gas.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
n8r finds it literally impossible to imagine that anyone has a different situation than his.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Z3n posted:

n8r finds it literally impossible to imagine that anyone has a different situation than his.

Me too. Just go down to the Entec, right? Guys? Guys...?

93.5 octane or no ethanol is a pretty good mix. Not that the station will have both at the same time.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 27, 2013

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

It's pretty easy to get non ethanol gas.

Where? I've never been to a station that didn't have ethanol gas.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

hot sauce posted:

Where? I've never been to a station that didn't have ethanol gas.

Tanbo posted:

There's a farmers coop on the way into town that sells ethanol free gas, I always gas up there. Same price as E10 even.

http://pure-gas.org/
--------------

Z3n posted:

Even despite the fact that he said the same thing to me like a week ago and I showed him this pic from the pure-gas site he linked me.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The closest one to me is at least 45 minutes away. I wonder why it isn't available in/near certain major cities.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 27, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah there are only a couple options for me. One shady station that I think just falsely brands their fuel as ethanol-free and wants to charge a service fee on a debit card, and one about 15 miles away that only just started carrying E0 w/ 93 octane last summer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There's one station for that poo poo in the greater SF area so all I have to do to get it is pay a 6 dollar bridge toll and drive 40 miles round trip! :buddy:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Closest to me is the marina that's about 20 minutes away. After that it's many hours.

Also, there's a grand total of 11 ethanol free stations in all of California. That's ok though, 360 days of riding is better than non-ethanol anyway :smug:

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 27, 2013

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

SaNChEzZ posted:

Closest to me is the marina that's about 20 minutes away. After that it's many hours.

Also, there's a grand total of 11 ethanol free stations in all of California. That's ok though, 360 days of riding is better than non-ethanol anyway :smug:

Yeah, but what are you going to do when you have to put the bike up for storage those last 5 days? Gonna wish you had the ethanol free then! I think it's obviously worth it to have to sit through winter but get that purestrain gas (I get winter and no ethanol free station within about an hour).

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
All this talk of winterizing bikes recently makes me wonder how cranky Cycle Asylum gets February. I parked mine last Saturday and am not exactly sure what to do with myself for the next 3 months :geno::fh:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Koruthaiolos posted:

Yeah, but what are you going to do when you have to put the bike up for storage those last 5 days? Gonna wish you had the ethanol free then! I think it's obviously worth it to have to sit through winter but get that purestrain gas (I get winter and no ethanol free station within about an hour).

Winter... heh. I wonder if any of the stations that have racegas are ethanol free.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SaNChEzZ posted:

Winter... heh. I wonder if any of the stations that have racegas are ethanol free.

I'm pretty sure the couple stations that are 25 miles from me are race gas stations up by the drag strip.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

There's one station for that poo poo in the greater SF area so all I have to do to get it is pay a 6 dollar bridge toll and drive 40 miles round trip! :buddy:

No, you get a Fastrak, mount your license plate in a way that's not readily visible to the overhead cameras, leave the transponder at home and ride on through the Fastrak lanes. If the camera doesn't see the plate, free toll! If it does, oh the Fastrak must not have registered but it's ok, no additional charge that you wouldn't have paid anyway because your plate is on record.

At least that's what I assume people are doing with those stupid plate holders that stick it way up underneath the seat in front of the rear wheel.

And you don't have to ride 40 miles for the gas, you get to. Stick a jerrycan on the back and get enough for the week.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
There is all of one pure-gas station in CT and it's a marina that only sells on the pier. I might get away with lugging a gascan down there, maybe. The zillion other marinas probably also sell ethanol-free, but didn't register for the site since they obv don't let cars fill up.

Other than marinas, the nearest places are about two hours away and are selling 104 octane race gas, presumably for local drags.

The good news is, ethanol as a farm subsidy has been rather a flop so in '14 they're talking about walking back the fuel addition requirements.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If it hasn't been said before, I've had plenty of luck just using ethanol stabilizer in ethanol gas when storing bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

No, you get a Fastrak, mount your license plate in a way that's not readily visible to the overhead cameras, leave the transponder at home and ride on through the Fastrak lanes. If the camera doesn't see the plate, free toll! If it does, oh the Fastrak must not have registered but it's ok, no additional charge that you wouldn't have paid anyway because your plate is on record.

At least that's what I assume people are doing with those stupid plate holders that stick it way up underneath the seat in front of the rear wheel.

And you don't have to ride 40 miles for the gas, you get to. Stick a jerrycan on the back and get enough for the week.

I got pulled once while carrying my Fastrak because the thing didn't go off and I thought I had a dealer plate (it blew off)...cop pulled me over, I pointed to the Fastrak in the visible mesh pocket on my backpack, and I went on my way.

But despite being a boyscout and always carrying the Fastrak, it only seems to trigger once every 10 passes anyways. :buddy:

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If it hasn't been said before, I've had plenty of luck just using ethanol stabilizer in ethanol gas when storing bikes.

Have you had any :smug: plastic tank :smug: issues?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dellikose posted:

Have you had any :smug: plastic tank :smug: issues?
I believe I have, actually. Worked on a few modern BMWs with plastic tanks, the work required leaving the tank off the bike for a while. On reassembly, the body panels which screw onto the tank were very difficult to fit. They had come off easily prior to that. Not nearly as bad as the Ducati stories I've heard where the tank won't even fit on the bike, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

clutchpuck posted:

Safety dance you bastard, now I have to paint the uly not-green. Maybe gold I guess.

Sorry about that. Green is just my favorite color.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I just always used Shell premium (no ethanol) + stabilizer. I drain the carbs when I go to start 'er up in the Spring to ensure fresh(er) gas, and it pretty much always starts up without too much fuss.

Today I bundled up and put away the Honda for the winter, in the most half-assed fashion ever. Almost couldn't get my friend's garage door open because it had partially frozen shut. Lotta fuckin ice in that alley, too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I sometimes wish I could get premium gas that supposedly has no ethanol, but I swear the engine runs worse on premium for some reason. It just feels less snappy and acts more cold-blooded. 87 octane is where my bike is happiest.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

I sometimes wish I could get premium gas that supposedly has no ethanol, but I swear the engine runs worse on premium for some reason. It just feels less snappy and acts more cold-blooded. 87 octane is where my bike is happiest.

That sounds about right, higher octane gas is more detonation resistant, so is less efficient for an engine that is specced for 87, which most non ss bikes are.

But why are you looking premium ethanol free in the first place? Place I go to only has 87 non ethanol anyway, and like you said 87 is best.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Because ethanol-free 87 octane gas is not a thing that exists here.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Non- California residents: Take what you can get and use this opportunity to gloat. Doesn't happen often :)

I would, but I have the same problem. And I live in Kentucky. :smith:

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Oh, that sucks for you guys.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tanbo posted:

That sounds about right, higher octane gas is more detonation resistant, so is less efficient for an engine that is specced for 87, which most non ss bikes are.

But why are you looking premium ethanol free in the first place? Place I go to only has 87 non ethanol anyway, and like you said 87 is best.

poo poo, most SS bikes are 87 also.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

BlackMK4 posted:

poo poo, most SS bikes are 87 also.

My fz6 is 87 but that doesn't stop the fz6 forum arguing over it (and splitting about 50/50 between 87 and 93 users....:psyduck:). Every time I ride with my dad he tells me he puts premium in 'just in case'.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

does anything run on 89 octane? Its always an option but I have never seen a car or bike that needs it, its either 87 or 93

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
People that have slightly advanced their timing could benefit from 89

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My Ranger spark knocks like crazy in the summer if I use 87. With 89 it barely does so that's what I use.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

does anything run on 89 octane? Its always an option but I have never seen a car or bike that needs it, its either 87 or 93

We used to have an old car that took leaded gas, so 89 and an occasional bottle of lead replacement did the trick.

But otherwise, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Most gas stations don't actually have a tank of 89 anyway -- when you press that button, the pump mixes and dispenses the appropriate ratio of regular and premium. Maybe manufacturers know that, and recognize that the quality of 89 octane gas is basically up to the station operator, and don't want to risk it.

Or they just don't care about saving you money and if they engine won't run properly on regular they go straight to premium.