Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Literally Kermit posted:

In short, gently caress tropers.
I can't, I'm not a kawaii uguu anime rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

The Leper Colon V posted:

I can't, I'm not a kawaii uguu anime rape.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Namtab posted:

Iirc Fast Eddie actually did that blanket removal of the word "rape" as a result of goon criticism, cause it was right before the gassing of the last pure troperthread.
Oh hey, TVTropes is actually useful for this! :pseudo: There were two separate Google Incidents as they call them, one way back in 2010 and the one in 2012 that led them to decide that maybe they shouldn't be catering to pedophiles, and also Fast Eddie's hilariously incompetent rape filter (which not only blocked innocent pages but allowed you to view the blocked pages if you just changed the capitalization a bit).

Not only are those pages informative, they're legitimately funny in places:

The Google Incident posted:

FastEddie wrote a lot of code quickly
:laffo:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is a good post. :golfclap:

The plant's called a rapeseed

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Literally Kermit posted:

One can learn a lot from watching a lot of cooking shows. You can also learn a lot from reading cook books! And you can study and neatly label everything in your spice rack. The problem with troper mentality is they still manage to just loving wing it when it comes to dumping poo poo into the pot, and expect their poo poo stew to appeal to other people.

This reminds me of the old woman admin on tvtropes (I forget the name) trying to state the value of the site using a cooking analogy, saying it was like eating a good meal and figuring out what the ingredients were to understand how it was made. As if knowing the ingredients were all that's needed, and not the actual cooking process.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Zerilan posted:

This reminds me of the old woman admin on tvtropes (I forget the name) trying to state the value of the site using a cooking analogy, saying it was like eating a good meal and figuring out what the ingredients were to understand how it was made. As if knowing the ingredients were all that's needed, and not the actual cooking process.

Or the overall experience of the cook, or if the cook actually cares about what he's cooking and who he is cooking it for. Home-brewing beer is also another great analogy: everyone thinks it would be a Cool Job at first, but there's time, effort, and money involved (especially if you self-publish!). Rushing things ruins the final product.

Also you get assholes like me :v: who would really like to homebrew beer and know a lot of things about it, but never seem to brew any actual beer.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Zerilan posted:

This reminds me of the old woman admin on tvtropes (I forget the name)

Madrugada. She also compared child molestation to stealing somebody's shoes I think.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Literally Kermit posted:

Or the overall experience of the cook, or if the cook actually cares about what he's cooking and who he is cooking it for. Home-brewing beer is also another great analogy: everyone thinks it would be a Cool Job at first, but there's time, effort, and money involved (especially if you self-publish!). Rushing things ruins the final product.

Also you get assholes like me :v: who would really like to homebrew beer and know a lot of things about it, but never seem to brew any actual beer.

(Source)

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

I know far too much TVTrope history to be healthy.

Then I'm afraid the fever has reached your brain, and you must be destroyed. Now lie back and count backwards from 100 as I put this mask on your face. Quit fighting me. "Attached to the exhaust pipe of my car?" Don't be ridiculous...

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
You know what Tropers love? MAGIC SYSTEMS!

quote:

"The possibilities are endless"

But a Magic SYSTEM is when the impossibilities are defined and limited.

Instant kill a dragon must be a bigger spell than minotaur kill, which is a bigger spell than ant-kill.

1st year Hogwarts student is less mighty than a graduate of Unssen University.

Sacred dib-dobs give extra power to spells.

Ant-Kill, learned at level 3. Minotaur Kill, learned at level 25...

quote:

I can't speak for Jaqen, but I'm not saying those systems aren't interesting, or aren't limited enough. I'm saying what makes them interesting, and what makes them 'systems' as opposed to, I don't know, trends or something, is the existence of limitations. A magic 'system' that doesn't rule anything out isn't really a system.

Not that that's always bad. Harry Potter magic is essentially unsystematized beyond specifics and most people are fine with that, although Eliezer Yudkowsky has a few comments to make.

But if your goal is the creation of an interesting magic system, the best question to ask is not 'what should I call my magic phlebotinum?' but 'what limitations will make my story interesting, and how can I work those limitations into a detailed and coherent picture?'

This isn't actually that bad of a post, despite the link that Harry Potter fanfic where Harry is a jackass. This user, Kesteven, thinks a good idea for a story is one that makes the story interesting. Good job troper! You are now marked for banishment from TVTropes. Sorry.

quote:

I was more focused on having something of a novelty, because that was suggested as a good idea.

:pseudo: Be different! That sounds like a good idea!

quote:

Thanks Kesteven.

Novelty is all very well, it is sometimes useful, but more important is the Audience understanding what is going on. Why can't arry Potter kill Voldemort in book 1? Because Harry is a 1st year and Voldemort is a grsduate.

And yes, I am thinking of a table-top list of rules: n-th ;v; wizard + m-th sacred dib-dob can cast spells from this list. That is what to start with.

Audience must understand the Rules of Magic, why can't Hero defeat Villain in chapter !.

'heq' or 'cheq' is the Egyptian Hieroglyph for Magic.

BEEP BOOP AUDIENCE MUST UNDERSTAND RULES OF MAGIC n-th ;v; wizard + m-th sacred dib-dob MUST COMPUTE. PLEASE INSERT DIB-DOB.

quote:

My fictional culture has a six-element philosophy, so I'm calling my "joker" "Heptessence", obviously. :)

Hept- means seven, so I hope the smile is a nod to the fact that the sixth element should have been "sexessence." It's hard to tell with tropers. :stare:

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Leofish posted:

Hept- means seven, so I hope the smile is a nod to the fact that the sixth element should have been "sexessence." It's hard to tell with tropers. :stare:

When he says "joker" they probably mean it like how the jokers are extra cards outside of the main suits. In this case their protagonist probably has an element outside of the main six (to make him/her an outgroup or special in some way) which would be the seventh. It's a dumb name, and a cliché plot, but a competent writer could do something with it & it's not particularly noteworthy as a post, if that is indeed the intended meaning. :v:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Sounds like a not particularly clever play on 'Quintessence', the fifth element after Fire, Air, Earth and Water.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
So, some guy made a tropes page for his cult. He claims it blends Taoism, Shintoism and Christianty, but it's really a mix of hilarity and the author's special brand of obvious crazy.

Some fun excerpts:

CultyMcult posted:

To determine weather accurately, listen for a faint rumbling sound that seems to be felt more than heard. If the sound is above you, there will be precipitation, if it feels below you there might be an earthquake

If the ground is rumbling there might be an earthquake! :eng101:

ACrazyPerson posted:

]Hinduism or Buddhism (I forgot whether both do, or which one) hold that the point of reincarnation is that the soul is trying to into it's ultimate self,
and that earth is a sort of "training ground" towards this aim. This is nonsene

I don't know enough about this to know who believes in it, but they're wrong! :catholic:

Oh, and he also made an animu RPGMaker game to explain his crazy rear end beliefs and gave it a trope page because why not?

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

ThirdEmperor posted:

Oh, and he also made an animu RPGMaker game to explain his crazy rear end beliefs and gave it a trope page because why not?

You can't post that without the list of characters.

quote:

Our hero, Ambrosia Brahmin.
The swordsman, Nevras Fitzembor.
The elf, Aqorm Flowless
The exorcist, Azrael Runesealer.
The dark wizard (an optional character), Yazim Jianne.
The demon, Lilith.
The angel, Michael. Sorry, the Archangel Michael.
Ambrosia's daughter, Tamashii Brahmin.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

Thinky Whale posted:

You can't post that without the list of characters.

I haven't heard fictional names that stupid since the J-F Bibeau thread.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Finisher1 posted:

I haven't heard fictional names that stupid since the J-F Bibeau thread.

I wonder if Bubeau's on TVTropes...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ThirdEmperor posted:

I don't know enough about this to know who believes in it, but they're wrong! :catholic:

It is nonsense, because he's completely wrong. Chances are he interprets "perfecting the soul" like being like reaching level 99.

edit: And now I realize that yes, he does, apparently.

Heath fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 24, 2013

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

cptn_dr posted:

I wonder if Bubeau's on TVTropes...

Why would you even ask that question.

At least it's short and hasn't been updated before 2011! Also:

quote:

AstroTurf: Bibeau has demonstrated a tendency toward priming his readers with things to say about him and soliciting positive reviews for his Amazon page. Both are, hilariously, done in public view on his Facebook fanpage. He recently deleted a thread in which he begged for good reviews when an Amazon reviewer pointed out that he'd done it.

("Astroturf" being defined here as "a false grass-roots campaign")

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

ThirdEmperor posted:

Oh goodie.

quote:

All Deaths Final: Subverted. There are "revival" spells, but certain deaths are not able to be remedied. There are graves, so understandably, old age is one of the constants. As are certain effects like disintegration or Cessation of Existence. Or diseases, judging from the cause of death in many gravestones. Also, there are a vast number of war-related casualties, so resurrection probably only works on bodies before decay has set in. This is possibly due to some sort of Resurrection Sickness (in the case of disease, causing them too be too weak, and die again) or Destination Host Unreachable (in the case of old age).
A bunch of words to say that it's like Final Fantasy where characters can die in battle but they can also die-die which isn't subverting any trope you moron. Apparently there's a random chance God revives you in battle, though.

quote:

All Myths Are True: Except when they're not.
"A Trope: But Not"

quote:

Author Appeal: There's obviously a fetish for crossdressing. It is possible to go through the game with three of the characters wearing women's clothes, and there are some side-references to it in some NPC lines. Not to mention the whole "angels are sexless" thing, where Michael is clearly wearing a skirt and appears to have breasts in his battlesets.
Of course!

quote:

Beating A Dead Player: [when an enemy attacks a KO'd character] Subverted with better coding, but certain effects still make this happen.
Fixing your lovely code does not constitute a subversion.

quote:

Comedic Sociopathy: Ambrosia literally kills her counterpart in a rival party, because she says the wrong thing.
Ambrosia: You're a disgrace to women everywhere. Far from being competent, you're just decoration.
Momo: The one who is a disgrace is you. You've lost your feminine ways, and become a man. No wonder your party is so odd, with you as leader.
Ambrosia: Be right back, guys. I have a murder to perform.
"comedic" :stonklol:

quote:

Creator Cameo: The author, Thomas Hooker, pops up in Hell at a weapons shop. Why? Because he's down in the dumps, thought about killing himself, and decided against it. He comments about how he's not even sure the game is all that great, after which Ambrosia snaps and tells him she'll kick his rear end if he doesn't cheer up. When he finally does cheer up, he dons a dress and walks off stage.
That's actually kind of sad.

quote:

Game-Favored Gender: In terms of item usage and magic, most of the females have more magic power and versatility. The game has an interesting workaround, though.
Yep, that links to Wholesome Crossdresser.

quote:

Also averted No Periods, Period: Uses the Lina Inverse rule of magic loss during the menstrual cycle. This is a balance to the above advantage for females.
:stonk:

quote:

Medium Blending: There is everything from animated scenes, to color pictures and photographs, to black-and-white sketches, to normal sprites, to sprites from other games that don't match the game's sprites at all.
So you're saying it's really lovely?

quote:

Moon Logic Puzzle: There is a complex puzzle which involves solving three puzzles to decode the fourth. All of them are in groups of three, and it seems logical that the answer is something to do with three. Nope, you are supposed to exit out of the multiple choice, and Mr. Exposition then explains that the answer is in fact Death. Why? Because the question as given was:
Answer this fourth and final question. What do these other questions have in common?
"I made a bad puzzle on purpose!"

quote:

Ambrosia: ...if you can't treat those around you with love and decency, soon or later you'll fall to it.
Estheriel: But wait, that doesn't make any sense, did not I use this plan to try to make a world without pain? How then is it that I could be defeated by The Power of Love?
Ambrosia: It's best not to think of such things... (Beat) Remember, it was The Power of Love that undid you!
Good dialogue best write.

edit:

quote:

One of the monster's names is One Eyed Snake. Guess what happens to you when you lose a battle to it? You get raped.
:toot: :tvtropes: :toot:

editx2:

quote:

Much of the game is humor based on ShoutOuts to other concepts. For instance, Nevras looks a bit like a Cloud Expy. Guess how he plans to sneak into Delphi's all-female temple? [in reference to the FF7 crossdressing segment]

For that matter, it turned out not to even be necessary.

Delphi: No need to disguise yourselves, I know there are men among you.
Ambrosia: Then why the elaborate attempt to keep men out?
Delphi: Because men in drag are hot!

Djeser fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 24, 2013

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Gee, you think the author might have a thing for crossdressing?

Oh wait. He made 'be androgynous' one of the commandments of his kooky cult.

quote:

Wear your hair long to minimize gender distinction ; you may also remove any hair not shared by the other gender

• Wield blunt weapons to minimize the slaughter done in the name of your faith

That second one is pretty weird too. Besides being ripped straight from D&D clerics, who exactly is he expecting his non-existant followers to attack?

HammerofCults posted:

The name of this lesson comes from similar writings called the Hammer of Witches. Having been in a cult by accident, the author feels this is at least as grave as witchcraft

Guess he wants people to go out and attack evil witches and religions he doesn't like with blunt weapons! I'm also guessing he knows jack poo poo about the actual text of the Hammer of Witches.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You guys missed the saddest (and most obvious) bit of that cult page:

quote:

Club Stub: This "religion" has a total of one known member (the author), so any new member is this.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Darth Walrus posted:

You guys missed the saddest (and most obvious) bit of that cult page:

Also:

quote:

The result is possibly the first religion created wholly on Powerpoint

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

quote:

The result is possibly the first religion created wholly on Powerpoint

As in "created to show others the wonder and joy of the religion" or was PowerPoint the inspiration for it?

Should I be asking questions like this? I got better things to do with my time, like finding a job already...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think a cult based around the wonders and majesty of Microsoft PowerPoint would be kind of hilarious. At least for a short while it would be, if it was done right.

So, knowing tropers, it's probably not that.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The rainbow gradient 3D popout text gave me a spiritual experience or two when I was like 12.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Well, I was going to play a bit of that RPG so I could share it with you guys, but it crashes with a "Script references map that does not exist" error before the main menu appears. You can't actually make pointers in RPG Maker 2000 without a map already there to point to, so that means that he physically deleted a map file, for no reason, after making his game. And therefore it is unplayable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

crowfeathers posted:

Well, I was going to play a bit of that RPG so I could share it with you guys, but it crashes with a "Script references map that does not exist" error before the main menu appears. You can't actually make pointers in RPG Maker 2000 without a map already there to point to, so that means that he physically deleted a map file, for no reason, after making his game. And therefore it is unplayable.
Maybe he had a sudden attack of Self Awareness.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I fixed it. Please watch this amazing intro scene all the way through because I can't explain in words how badly he coded this loving game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxEIdnGDV4k

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh my God, that VAing. :cawg:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm pretty sure the music from just before the video cuts off is blatantly stolen from Kingdom Hearts.

e: found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nlCNVewMjA

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

"" posted:

I can't speak for Jaqen, but I'm not saying those systems aren't interesting, or aren't limited enough. I'm saying what makes them interesting, and what makes them 'systems' as opposed to, I don't know, trends or something, is the existence of limitations. A magic 'system' that doesn't rule anything out isn't really a system.

Not that that's always bad. Harry Potter magic is essentially unsystematized beyond specifics and most people are fine with that, although Eliezer Yudkowsky has a few comments to make.

But if your goal is the creation of an interesting magic system, the best question to ask is not 'what should I call my magic phlebotinum?' but 'what limitations will make my story interesting, and how can I work those limitations into a detailed and coherent picture?'

Leofish posted:

This isn't actually that bad of a post, despite the link that Harry Potter fanfic where Harry is a jackass. This user, Kesteven, thinks a good idea for a story is one that makes the story interesting. Good job troper! You are now marked for banishment from TVTropes. Sorry.

This is good because the powers in Harry Potter are totally limited. We know what Harry can do because we see him learning it, and pretty much what the others can. There's the odd deus ex machina "oh I know a spell for this exact situation" especially earlier on, but not too much.

We don't know everything Dumbledore can do because Harry doesn't, but we know Voldemort's pretty much his opposite number and about cancels him out, and likewise with the other good and bad guys. So you can tell me Dumbledore's tracked down the macguffin but it's taken him ages or whatever, in the same way you can tell me MI5's finally managed to track down the KGB spy without telling what loving computer software they're using.

So the limitations come from actual plot elements and the limits of our first person protagonist rather than tedious minutae, so no wonder they didn't get it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm pretty sure the music from just before the video cuts off is blatantly stolen from Kingdom Hearts.

e: found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nlCNVewMjA

That's not the only thing stolen. I'd like to introduce you to the representation of God in the game.

Yes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

crowfeathers posted:

That's not the only thing stolen. I'd like to introduce you to the representation of God in the game.

Yes.
Good lord, this is an unintentional comedy goldmine.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, it did say "sprites from other games that don't match the game's sprites at all". Intentional badness or just plain badness?

It's both.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 24, 2013

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
He literally just read the Wiki article on Taoism and decided he could do it better. Jesus.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Note that the sprites he didn't steal are just default RPGmaker sprites. Truly, a masterpiece that speaks of the glory of his religion!

Also:

quote:

-The archangel Michael. He joins Ambrosia's party after her answer to one of his questions intrigues him. As an angel, he appears more female than male (angels are sexually ambiguous in most legends), and has a personality to match.

Why yes, angels are sexually ambiguous in most legends. Because they're usually wheels made of eyes of crazy Frankenstein-ish things made of spare animal parts. Not, y'know, waifu-bishie-san uguu kaiwai or whatever.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

crowfeathers posted:

I fixed it. Please watch this amazing intro scene all the way through because I can't explain in words how badly he coded this loving game.

????:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Well, it did say "sprites from other games that don't match the game's sprites at all". Intentional badness or just plain badness?

It's both.

Here's a few other things I discovered:

Somehow, he made it so that if you open a chest and save, it'll be empty even if you start a new game. I didn't even know that was possible, but deleting and re-installing the game made the chest have something in it again.

The game over music is Desperado, by The Eagles.

:nws:And this.:nws:

I can see why TV Tropes likes it.......

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

crowfeathers posted:

poo poo, is it 1993 again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Someone needs to do a full Let's Play of this

• Locked thread