Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
What is Calpis Juice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Theres something missing, something's bean forgotten.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

branedotorg posted:

What is Calpis Juice?

It's a tangy drink, if you live in a diverse enough area you can get it at asian food marts, it comes in carbonated and uncarbonated styles but I prefer it uncarbonated.

It might be sold under the new name calpico in your area because calpis sounds like cowpiss and Americans are immature.

I really like it.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
OK thanks, I know what Calpis/Calpico is just wouldn't have thought to cook with it or to call it juice.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I can't imagine cooking with it, that sounds weird as hell. Especially in chili. It's nowhere near sour enough to be subbed in for lime.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My most recent chili wasn't very hot. I tried 3 Scotch Bonnets but they're just not that hot from where I get them in north east England. I had 5 de arbols and could use more I suppose and half a tin of chipotle's in adobo since I didn't want to use an entire tin at once. Any recommendations or am I stuck with what I've got?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

How much meat was that? That sounds like no chiles at all.. When I make chili with 5-6 pounds of meat I usually use 5-6 habaneros, 8 or so serranos, a fistful of Red Fresnos, and 6 or more mild varieties, like poblanos or Anaheims. I'll also use 2-5 good tablespoons of homemade chile powder.

If you want it spicier you should add more chiles.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Using a coffee grinder, I make my own chili powder with Guajillos, Chipotles and ancho chilis. Try doing something like this, you'll be surprised at the difference.

In my opinion; chipotles are some of the best chilis to use as a base for powder. They add smoky and spicy flavors, while other chilis will add other background flavors.

Scott, you should try growing your own bonnets. Google has wonderful tips on growing your peppers hotter. A good friend of mine grows chilis year round in doors, and he grows some of the hottest peppers I've ever encountered, some are quite frankly terrifying.

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 25, 2013

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

FaradayCage posted:

I'm going to be making a new batch of chili soon. I have a rough outline but I want to know if you guys have any advice for not making a bowl of brown.

Meat:
3.5 lb stew beef
1.5 lb chorizo

Spices:
Dried chiles: negro, pasilla, ancho, mulatto, guajillo, unlabeled small red chiles from asian market (medium heat, IMO). Even mix but light on red chiles, about 5 tablespoons total.
Non-chiles: fresh ground cumin (~1 tablespoon), salt, pepper, cinnamon (~1.5 teaspoons)

Vegetables:
7 jalapenos (seeded)
7 habaneros (seeded)
small can of chipotles in adobo, blended
large white onion
5 cloves garlic

Liquid:
Beef stock
Bourbon to de-glaze
Liquid smoke

Basic plan is to sear beef and chorizo, de-glaze with bourbon, saute onions/garlic/peppers, then basically dump everything in. (Essentially Doom Rooster's process on page 5.)

I tend to eat the chili by itself, or with some sour cream/fresh onions/cheese. To that end, my goal is to create a brighter and spicier chili than I have been.

I finally got around to making this recipe; also hammered down the specifics for predictability. The chorizo seemed to add enough saltiness that no further salting was required. I ended up using a lot less cumin than I usually do because it smells completely different when freshly ground. I think it actually might be a key ingredient toward what I was looking for, though. Felt no need to add liquid smoke.

Overall it has a medium-high heat that bites the tongue pretty nicely, along with the duller heat from the chipotles and dried chiles. Flavor was spot-on thanks primarily to the chorizo and fruitier assortment of dried chiles.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

FaradayCage posted:

I finally got around to making this recipe; also hammered down the specifics for predictability. The chorizo seemed to add enough saltiness that no further salting was required. I ended up using a lot less cumin than I usually do because it smells completely different when freshly ground. I think it actually might be a key ingredient toward what I was looking for, though. Felt no need to add liquid smoke.

Overall it has a medium-high heat that bites the tongue pretty nicely, along with the duller heat from the chipotles and dried chiles. Flavor was spot-on thanks primarily to the chorizo and fruitier assortment of dried chiles.

Next time try rehydrating dried chipotles instead of adobo. The flavor is much MUCH better. I refuse to use canned chipotles anymore.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
[url] http://mobile.seriouseats.com/2010/01/how-to-make-the-best-chili-ever-recipe-super-bowl.html?ref=search [/url]

Whats everyone's thoughts on this recipe?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Contains tomatoes, beans, marmite, soy sauce, and anchovies: therefore not chili. Sounds like a decent spicy soup though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Not that I'd ever put the effort in but have people watched Heston's chili episode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifyf5ZcPutU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I decided this morning that the way to beat this Colorado cold and my current head cold is a big pot full of chili, to wit:

4oz anchos
4oz Anaheims
A couple of chipotles (my boyfriend is a wimp :saddowns:)
Oregano, garlic, cumin
1 bottle of homebrew red ale
A shitload of chuck

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I ended up adding about half an ounce of chocolate. Trip report: delicious.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's a nice looking chili recipe. Doesn't look very spicy though :raise:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am trying to eat everything in my freezer and I have found a pound of cubed goat and a pound of lamb. I know the goat will chili up real good but has anyone ever tryed it wih lamb? I have like two pounds of dried new mexico chilies and was thinking of buying a pile of habs and going with that. My fear is that this is a "waste" of the lamb but I am not sure what to use to bulk out the goat meat.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Well lamb loves chili peppers, and it's got a strong enough flavor that I doubt you could totally cover it up that easily. I'd go for it, goat/lamb chili sounds great.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Lamb chili is fantastic, and I think the flavors of goat and lamb would go together well. Go for it, report back on how good it is!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am going for it, the chilis are rehydrating now and the meat is thawing. I will hopefully make it tomorrow after work.

EDIT:

The chili paste. It came out to about 3.5 cups, which should be enough for 2lbs of meat. I dont want to go crazy on the heat as I want the goat/lamb flavor to come through. As it stands now the paste is very fruity and earthy with little to no heat so I think a few habs will round it out perfectly.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 11, 2013

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Kenning posted:

That's a nice looking chili recipe. Doesn't look very spicy though :raise:

Save me jeebus posted:

A couple of chipotles (my boyfriend is a wimp :saddowns:)

image by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr

Whatever, it was adequately spicy. :colbert:

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
What are people's thoughts on using kashmiri chilis? I haven't seen them mentioned yet.

Apparently they add a really rich red colour to any dish they're added to. On a personal level this is desirable to me - the redder my chili looks the more appetising. I've never actually managed to get my hands on them so maybe the flavour is all wrong or something. I am going whole hog and making home-made beef stock and using buffalo meat for my next chili, so I was thinking of perhaps debuting kashmiri chilis as well if they are in fact suitable.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

fuckpot posted:

What are people's thoughts on using kashmiri chilis? I haven't seen them mentioned yet.

Apparently they add a really rich red colour to any dish they're added to. On a personal level this is desirable to me - the redder my chili looks the more appetising. I've never actually managed to get my hands on them so maybe the flavour is all wrong or something. I am going whole hog and making home-made beef stock and using buffalo meat for my next chili, so I was thinking of perhaps debuting kashmiri chilis as well if they are in fact suitable.

They do give a nice colour if you use enough... I use a cup of dried ground Kashmiri chilli powder to make vindaloo (proper vindaloo doesn't have tomato in it, it becomes red just from the chilli) but they have almost no heat and relatively little flavour... It behaves more like paprika than proper chilli.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The Lord Bude posted:

They do give a nice colour if you use enough... I use a cup of dried ground Kashmiri chilli powder to make vindaloo (proper vindaloo doesn't have tomato in it, it becomes red just from the chilli) but they have almost no heat and relatively little flavour... It behaves more like paprika than proper chilli.

I know this is the chili thread, but could you post your Vindaloo recipe somewhere? Been looking for a good recipe forever.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

1lb of goat
1lb of lamb
3.5c of chile paste, made mosts of rehydrated New Mexicans.
1 onion
pile of garlic
maybe 1/4c fresh ground cumin
maybe 1/8c organiao
salt
pepper
about 8 jalapenos, deseeded and sliced
about 12oz of Iniquity Black Ale
maybe 1/2c of beef stock to thin it a bit

I havent made chili from a paste in forever and never without sausage or some other loose meat added. I hope to hell the meat breaks down enough to fill it out. Otherwise I am going to make enchilada filling out of it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

bunnielab posted:

1lb of goat
1lb of lamb
3.5c of chile paste, made mosts of rehydrated New Mexicans.
1 onion
pile of garlic
maybe 1/4c fresh ground cumin
maybe 1/8c organiao
salt
pepper
about 8 jalapenos, deseeded and sliced
about 12oz of Iniquity Black Ale
maybe 1/2c of beef stock to thin it a bit

I havent made chili from a paste in forever and never without sausage or some other loose meat added. I hope to hell the meat breaks down enough to fill it out. Otherwise I am going to make enchilada filling out of it.

Looks pretty amazing. If you aren't anti-bean, I think pintos or hominy would be awesome in there. Otherwise, you will have an excellent bowl of red meat. Enchiladas...mmm. That's an idea.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Looks pretty amazing. If you aren't anti-bean, I think pintos or hominy would be awesome in there. Otherwise, you will have an excellent bowl of red meat. Enchiladas...mmm. That's an idea.

Beans are only OK in ground meat chilis where they add a needed firm texture.

This one seems to be coming along well:

The meat still needs a bit longer before it breaks down enough but the flavor is right on. I am always so proud when I don't over spice things to the point of pain. Honestly though this is not super meat heavy, most of it is the chili pepper paste.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

bunnielab posted:

Beans are only OK in ground meat chilis where they add a needed firm texture.

This one seems to be coming along well:

The meat still needs a bit longer before it breaks down enough but the flavor is right on. I am always so proud when I don't over spice things to the point of pain. Honestly though this is not super meat heavy, most of it is the chili pepper paste.

I would probably freeze most of that and use it as a chile sauce in burritos, empanadas, enchiladas, etc. Maybe take a portion and stick rehydrated dried peppers in it to make your own chipotle in adobo sauce analogue (but neither chipotles nor adobo sauce).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Spuckuk posted:

I know this is the chili thread, but could you post your Vindaloo recipe somewhere? Been looking for a good recipe forever.

I PM'd it to you.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
We don't have a collection of chili recipes from this thread in one place do we?

I'm looking to make a batch this weekend and it would be very helpful.

edit

Or if anyone has any recommendations I am looking for a recipe that has medium heat, beans, and possibly small steak/beef chunks.

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 20, 2013

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I've got a good sized bottle of amaretto that I picked up for making tiramisu, which I don't even make that often, so I was looking for other ways to use it in cooking. Recently, I've been making chili on a regular basis, due to having recently learned how to make it, being able to buy the ingredients cheaply in bulk at Costco, and living in a tiny apartment with nothing but an induction hot plate to cook on (so all of my meals need to be single pot).

I was wondering how good/terrible an idea it would be to cook chili with amaretto (edit: and how much would be appropriate for a recipe using 2lbs of meat.) I already cook my chili with dark chocolate and italian-roast coffee; so I would effectively be making a tiramisu-themed chili if I tried this. In case it matters, the base of my chili is ground sirloin and black beans.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 20, 2013

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
I think it would be way way too sweet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Throwing a stick (or half of one) of butter into the chili as it's cooking: stupid or delicious?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Gross.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't see the benefit, personally.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
If you have enough fat in the meat, there should be more than enough grease, anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there any possible way to get a chili going in an hour or so? I really wanted some yesterday but it was already 6:00 pm...

Had to resist opening the can of Wolf chili I bought for emergencies.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Bob Morales posted:

Is there any possible way to get a chili going in an hour or so? I really wanted some yesterday but it was already 6:00 pm...

Had to resist opening the can of Wolf chili I bought for emergencies.

Pressure cooker? I made some shameful ground beef, chorizo and canned bean quick chili last night in under an hour. It was still good. If you're not using tough meats, it doesn't have to simmer for hours.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Maybe with just ground beef? I've not done it that way in ages though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ignoring the end result with the nachos, and changing some of the ingredients (probably less tomato), I like this video for how she preps the ingredients and does the meat:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/dining/your-super-bowl-snack-nachos-made-with-short-rib-chili.html?_r=0

Recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1014510/short-rib-chili-nachos.html