Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, Artie was a good spike in quality for the show. I remember listening to Howard in school and liking the show, but mainly because it was crass and crude and that kind of stuff sits well with a young dude. I remember watching the Channel 9 show and knowing it was garbage, but loved every minute of it. The lead up to his movie was great, the movie was good, but then around his divorce I stopped listening and wandered back in around the time of Artie.

I casually listen to the show now, when somebody says something good went on. I got a back log of shows to listen to, but just wait for good youtube clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Finndo posted:

The biggest tonal difference between then and now is that Howard is basically revered and feared by virtually all of the staff. It's really uncomfortable to hear them wanting to respond but afraid to do so. Instead of saying what should be said, they give a feeble half-fight or sometimes just collapse and grovel.

Popularity contest proved this in spades. #4 most popular on the show despite never interacting with virtually anyone outside the show? Sure.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I can't stand the callers. I'll only randomly listen to a replay so that my free year Sirius sub doesn't go to waste, but I have to tune right out whenever he picks up on a caller. It's the same rotating mainstays of sycophants who are up Howard's rear end or a garbled, unlistenable mess of cell phones cutting in and out due to lovely reception.

I remember back in the day when callers could be engaging and add a lot to the show, but these days they're not even on the same page or they'll bring everything to a screeching halt. Even the nasty callers back then were great because they knew how to antagonize in fun ways and Howard and his crew could usually roll with the punches.

I'm guessing a lot of the whack jobs and interesting people who would've otherwise called into the show are now stuck behind that 15 dollar a month paywall, and the people who are willing to pay the subscription are diehards who call in only to fawn all over him.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

AxeManiac posted:

I casually listen to the show now, when somebody says something good went on. I got a back log of shows to listen to, but just wait for good youtube clips.

The show has had ups and downs and a lot of it depends on your tastes. At the same time as the Stuttering John, KC, Jackie weirdness made for great in-studio fights, you also had an overabundance of boring, stupid bits like "the evaluators."

Even though I do think it has gone downhill since Artie left, it's still good for a commute, at least when compared to its options. When my car was in the shop last week I had to listen to regular radio, and it was just unbelievably awful, a total wasteland.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

moot the hopple posted:

I'm guessing a lot of the whack jobs and interesting people who would've otherwise called into the show are now stuck behind that 15 dollar a month paywall, and the people who are willing to pay the subscription are diehards who call in only to fawn all over him.

I miss Hate Man and Dr Remulac.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AxeManiac posted:

It doesn't matta!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii_-IuYd8qE

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

AxeManiac posted:

LOOKIT HIS DROOL CUP, HIS DROOL CUP!!!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Another classic caller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPv4PkZwQYc

Wasco Jr.
Jan 11, 2006

"Cut the kids in half"
What do you guys think of TM? I seems like hippy poo poo Howard wouldn't be into but he has stood by it for so many years.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wasco Jr. posted:

What do you guys think of TM? I seems like hippy poo poo Howard wouldn't be into but he has stood by it for so many years.

Meditation is a real thing, but TM is a scam to get money out of people who think it's worth more if they pay for it. Howard is a true believer because his mother picked it up when he was a kid.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
If you haven't heard it yet, Artie's interview with Ron Bennington is airing on Stars 2 I think. You can also listen to it at http://ronbenningtoninterviews.com in the Unmasked section.

(That site was set up mainly for publicists to get a feel for Ron's interview style so they can see if they want to book them on the Ron & Fez show or for an Unmasked taping. There's a lot of good stuff on there if you are looking for something to listen to over the holidays. The interviews are just one on one, but the Unmasked are recorded before an audience. It might still be password protected, so if it is use ronbennington. Sirius told him he couldn't put that content online for free and that it had to be password protected, so he did... but then gave out the password on air.)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

prefect posted:

Howard is a true believer because his mother picked it up when he was a kid.

"Mother brought SON! Ah-hahahahahahahahhaah!" *Rae Stern laugh*

prefect posted:

Meditation is a real thing, but TM is a scam to get money out of people who think it's worth more if they pay for it.

It's worse then that, it's a horrible cult that maintains slave compounds all over the world. I'm not exaggerating, my girlfriend grew up in the cult of the Maharishi (Fairfield Iowa, a location that they now disingenuously refer to as a "university"), and she has some horrifying stories of blatant abuse and corruption. Howard has kept himself willingly blind to the worst of this, but he knows much more then he lets on.

The Cult of TM has been somewhat less larcenous since Maharishi died, so it's slightly more benign then Scientology (which has gotten worse since the founder died), but it definitely belongs in the same category of cults. If you want to learn more about the Cult of TM, watch "David Wants to Fly", which is on You Tube and NetFlix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wants_to_Fly

That said, I agree that the practice of TM is a real thing, and can be good for you. It's the cult parts I don't like.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO7hmRJMSSI&t=1m51s

I could listen to Jackie laugh at John's stutter all day long

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Squashy Nipples posted:

"Mother brought SON! Ah-hahahahahahahahhaah!" *Rae Stern laugh*

It's worse then that, it's a horrible cult that maintains slave compounds all over the world. I'm not exaggerating, my girlfriend grew up in the cult of the Maharishi (Fairfield Iowa, a location that they now disingenuously refer to as a "university"), and she has some horrifying stories of blatant abuse and corruption. Howard has kept himself willingly blind to the worst of this, but he knows much more then he lets on.

The Cult of TM has been somewhat less larcenous since Maharishi died, so it's slightly more benign then Scientology (which has gotten worse since the founder died), but it definitely belongs in the same category of cults. If you want to learn more about the Cult of TM, watch "David Wants to Fly", which is on You Tube and NetFlix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wants_to_Fly

That said, I agree that the practice of TM is a real thing, and can be good for you. It's the cult parts I don't like.

Howard has talked about the time he met the Maharishi, at a celebrity party where everyone paid millions of dollars to attend. That kind of sinks away any hope of it being real and not just some Scientology level of scam taking money away from green energy wishing idiotic billionaires. Meditation is basically, take some time, sort your thoughts and think. Like defragging your brain, a mystical magic man doesn't need money to tell you how to do it.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Man my therapist used to do meditation sessions with me. It's not all quackery and in fact "SAVED MY LIFE" as people often say of ridiculous sounding things.
I can see how one would easily be able to apply some sort of metaphysical explanation to it, but really it's about learning to control your emotions in the same way you would control your breathing.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ah, no, see, the Maharishi would show you how to levitate. You can't just use your brain to do THAT.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
Sometimes i put on married wirh children and think about loving my family

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
This guy describes the TM technique fairly well for anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_HQPYrn_o0

although instead of what he suggests for a "mantra" I'd suggest just picking something from this list, the idea is that as you're repeating your mantra it's a feint idea in your mind that you repeat over and over so your mind has something abstract to "focus" on. Repeating actual words could hinder that. Read the annotations in his vid, they're pretty much directly what the "certified teachers" tell you.

TM has been incredible for helping me relieve stress, and it's worth a shot for anyone who thinks it might help them. No reason to shell out a few grand though.

Also Howard was on Letterman Friday. Surprised to see zero mentions of it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grfVgSkZqyc

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 24, 2013

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Weird, I paid the $1,500 fee to learn TM (which I agree is outrageous) but I never had any of the cult etc issues being described here. It really settles my mind down and got me through some rough patches.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

beergod posted:

Weird, I paid the $1,500 fee to learn TM (which I agree is outrageous) but I never had any of the cult etc issues being described here. It really settles my mind down and got me through some rough patches.

Are you loving serious?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Sometimes in order to clear your mind, one must clear their wallet.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

beergod posted:

You paid for the Initiation, that's only the first step. My GF's mom works for the cult full time, and trust me, the rabbit hole is far deeper then you imagine. Watch David Wants to Fly, some of your money went to a guy in a pope hat who is the literal king of America.

As for the practice of TM, my GF taught me the technique in 5 minutes, and she has never been a practitioner... Look, I'm someone who believes in the power of altered mental states (hypnotism, meditation), but the pseudo-science babble that they heap on top of a basic mind-clearing technique is ridiculous. You got ROOKED.

That initiation ceremony that you paid for, they sang something in Sanskirt called a Puja, which is a MOTHERFUCKING PRAYER TO POLYTHEISTIC HINDU GODS. Among other things, you are vowing to prostrate yourself before a long list of specific gods. Their claim that TM "has no religion" goes right out the window as soon as they get your money.

Here is the first few lines, this is only like 5% of it:

quote:

INVOCATION
To LORD NARAYANA, to lotus-born BRAHMA the Creator, to VASHISHTHA to SHAKTI and his son, PARASHAR,
To VYASA, to SHUKADEVA, to the great GAUDAPADA, to GOVINDA, ruler among the yogis, to his disciple,
SHRI SHANKARACHARYA, to his disciples PADMA-PADA and HASTA-MALAKA,
And TROTAKACHARYA and VARTIKA-KARA, to others, to the tradition of our Masters, I bow down.

To the abode of the wisdom of the SHRUTIS, SMRITIS and PURANAS, to the abode of kindness, to the personified glory of the LORD, to SHANKARA, emancipator of the world, I bow down.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

Howard has talked about the time he met the Maharishi, at a celebrity party where everyone paid millions of dollars to attend. That kind of sinks away any hope of it being real and not just some Scientology level of scam taking money away from green energy wishing idiotic billionaires. Meditation is basically, take some time, sort your thoughts and think. Like defragging your brain, a mystical magic man doesn't need money to tell you how to do it.

Wow... I've been a fairly heavy listener over the years, and I don't remember him talking about this... and this drastically colors my opinion of him. "Willingly Blind" my rear end, if he paid to meet Mahesh then he knows full well what's going on.

Makes me quite angry that he nudged his staff into going through the training, that is SUCH an rear end in a top hat move for a boss to do. Then again, I suppose Howard is cult leader in his own way?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
It wasn't too long ago, he was talking about how he did it so his mom could meet him. He didn't go into it much, but somebody asked him about it and the conversation came off as it being a party for celebrities only and not just anyone could have met with him. I think that was because he got other staff members doing it daily (Lisa G was talking about it too I think) and they couldn't meet the dude.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

that is SUCH an rear end in a top hat move for a boss to do. Then again, I suppose Howard is cult leader in his own way?

No, he's just an rear end in a top hat.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
For anyone who hasn't checked it out yet, I recommend listening to the audio book version of Artie's new book, Crash and Burn.

This time instead of trying to have Artie read it himself, they got a professional narrator to do it. At first I wasn't sure if I
would like it since the guy is an older gentlemen with a bit of monotone, but once he starts talking about stuff like Artie violently
making GBS threads himself on a private jet full of rich people, it somehow makes it funnier.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
How is Artie's voice doing? I watched him on Jimmy Fallon promoting his book and he sounds like a gravel monster with vocal fry. He clean up for the radio show or is he always grumbling now?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Vakal posted:

For anyone who hasn't checked it out yet, I recommend listening to the audio book version of Artie's new book, Crash and Burn.

This time instead of trying to have Artie read it himself, they got a professional narrator to do it. At first I wasn't sure if I
would like it since the guy is an older gentlemen with a bit of monotone, but once he starts talking about stuff like Artie violently
making GBS threads himself on a private jet full of rich people, it somehow makes it funnier.

They should have gotten a distinguished elderly British gentleman to read Artie's tales of pants-making GBS threads and suicide.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

haljordan posted:

They should have gotten a distinguished elderly British gentleman to read Artie's tales of pants-making GBS threads and suicide.

The best would be if said distinguished gentleman walked out in mid-reading only to be replaced by other distinguished gentlemen who each only lasted a couple of sentences.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
Just bought the audiobook and holy poo poo -- Teddy sounds like a huge rear end in a top hat.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

picosecond posted:

Just bought the audiobook and holy poo poo -- Teddy sounds like a huge rear end in a top hat.

I'm sure he's an incompetent goon but I'm guessing Artie embellished plenty as well. I mean, the guy did fire multiple assistants (or they quit) because he wanted them to score him heroin.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
drat Artie's audiobook is amazing. It sounds like the guy reading it spent some time listening to him to mimic some of his mannerisms, too. He even sounds gruff like Artie.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

picosecond posted:

Yeah that playboy story makes me wanna strangle him.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

GenoCanSing posted:

Yeah that playboy story makes me wanna strangle him.

I'm up to Ch. 3 and hoo boy -- as bad as Teddy was, Artie's an incredible rear end in a top hat. Or a standard junkie, depending on your perspective.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Please elaborate on What Tedy Did?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Teddy tried to score weed from Sarah Silverman, didn't he?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm torn between wanting more details and wanting to buy the book.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
George Takei has released a cologne named Eau My, as usual the best thing are the amazon reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Eau-My-1-7-oz-Cologne-Spray/dp/B00GS83884?tag=vglnk-c156-20

"Georgie strikes gold again. After an intense wrestling session with Bradders, nothing cleans me up better than some Eau My"

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

picosecond posted:

I'm up to Ch. 3 and hoo boy -- as bad as Teddy was, Artie's an incredible rear end in a top hat. Or a standard junkie, depending on your perspective.

Yup. I'm just past the Playboy story as well. Artie was an rear end in a top hat and the whole Amsterdam thing was hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Yup. I'm just past the Playboy story as well. Artie was an rear end in a top hat and the whole Amsterdam thing was hosed up.

I dunno, paying a hooker to be your tour guide was pretty funny.