Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Now this is mostly because of the dude himself, but I personally think Foley's car crash is one of the best stingers. But yeah currently, it's the Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

Now this is mostly because of the dude himself, but I personally think Foley's car crash is one of the best stingers. But yeah currently, it's the Shield.
Right up there with Punk's static and the intro to Flight of the Valkyries, but yeah. Shield's is probably the best.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
"One Two, This on?" is probably my favorite stinger of all time, and I'm not even a fan of HHH.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Thauros posted:

In the last Observer it was reported that the three people they're really high on and plan on pushing next year are Reigns, Big E, and Summer Rae.

Down with this :dance:

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Back when there was a backyarders thread there was this one video called "Spinal Injury Montage" that involved, among lots of hilarious falls onto sheet metal, car hoods, etc, the only Egg and Flour Mess Match that I've ever seen, and it disappeared off Youtube years ago, and I'm still upset about it.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Say what you will about the man, but Enter Sandman's first few notes hitting in Philly circa 1996 to the day the ECW died meant you were going to see something exceedingly stupid/endlessly awesome. Sandman's return from WCW, with the lights going out and the Metallica sting hitting is still one of the loudest, most genuine reactions I've ever heard. It was pure chaos and on top of that, Sandman was RIPPED somehow.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I love Sir William Black (Sir William of Black!); he is the only indie wrestler I ever downloaded for Smackdown vs Raw game.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Of the current NJPW guys, Takahashi is my favorite talker just because he is sleaze incarnate. It's like a less-cheesy Val Venis, and the entendres flow for days. It's not always something you get in Japanese humor but he does so well worth it. Hell, "G-Cup Climax" alone is brilliant.

Suzuki is great, Nakamura is a bit Macho Man with the in-ring promos and I haven't watched enough of the other stuff (like card pack openings :lmao: ) to judge.

And yeah, Okada's not a great talker, but he does enough to make him seem super smug and entitled which works perfectly. And then you have Gedo, who's goddamned Japanese Flavor-Flav in there. It works way too well.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Junpei Hyde posted:

God I hope so, then we can get the big reunion pop down the line. I just love hearing the opening to the Shield theme.

Speaking of which, what do you guys think is the best opening stinger for an entrance theme? I'll always mark out for Bret Hart's theme, only to be dissapointed when Natalya comes out.

I've always been partial to "you think you know me..." WAAAHHHGHGHRLBHL :rock:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Speaking of which, what do you guys think is the best opening stinger for an entrance theme? I'll always mark out for Bret Hart's theme, only to be dissapointed when Natalya comes out.

"Oh, oh, oh, Shawn!"

Or...

*glass shatters*

My favorite, though, is the guitar screech before John Morrison would walk out.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Junpei Hyde posted:

There are a bunch of themes that I really like, but as for stingers I'm partial to Masahiro Chono's (5:03 if it doesn't skip to it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn7cFGXHvqo&t=303s

Also, Stone Cold's glass shatter, Undertaker's gong, Regal's horns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDbAIC5GdIU

And last, but not least, Million Dollar Man's maniacal laughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4TG56KGZ4

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 24, 2013

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I'd say the glass shatter gets me as its linked to some of the biggest wrestling pops you'll ever hear.

Backlash 2000 and Foleys First title win being my examples.

Yes i realize thats a little bias.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
I've seen conflicted reports for the Brawl for All tournament.

Was the entire tournament a shoot? I always thought so since Bradshaws nose was pretty bloody in the final but I recently read that it was scripted after Bart knocked out Dr Death to avoid any more surprises.

Another baffling point is why they figured Steve Williams winning was a sure thing when Dan Severn and Steve Blackman were in the tournament.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I've always heard it was a shoot all the way through.

Ross just believed that Williams was a total bad rear end, and Williams was a very good amateur wrestler back in college and an All-American football player. Unfortunately, he was also 38 at the time and pretty beat up.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

God I hope so, then we can get the big reunion pop down the line. I just love hearing the opening to the Shield theme.

"Oooh, Chavo..."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

budreck posted:

Was the entire tournament a shoot? I always thought so since Bradshaws nose was pretty bloody in the final but I recently read that it was scripted after Bart knocked out Dr Death to avoid any more surprises.

Another baffling point is why they figured Steve Williams winning was a sure thing when Dan Severn and Steve Blackman were in the tournament.

It was a shoot, as was the fight between Butterbean and Bart. I believe they hoped that either Severn, Shamrock or Williams would win, with Williams being the main preference.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
One thing that still isn't clear is whether Severn removing himself from the tournament was a shoot or not. I've heard that he actually did remove himself, and I've also heard that creative asked him to drop out because they didn't want him to win.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

If themes from outside WWE count as far as opening stingers go, I thought the screaming that introduced the Age of the Fall's theme worked well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0MNPJ5o7VQ

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

budreck posted:

It was a shoot, but there was a lot of fuckery going on. Shamrock was kept out of it. Someone was smart enough to keep Dan Severn out of it. Then they let him in, but made him leave after he beat Godfather, who was much, much bigger. Steve Blackman beat Mero, but had to drop out due to injury. Hawk and Savio Vega also got injured.

It's possible there's more to it than what we know--Blackman's injury could have been a work, or Severn could be lying about being forced out--but I doubt it. I think that the WWE management in 1998, much like a lot of PSP posters in 2013, were ignorant and foolish enough to believe that these guys who had reputations as badass bar-brawlers could beat guys with formal training and full-contact experience.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Some of the scoring was a work, though the fights were not actually. For example in the Gunn/Doctor Death match going into the third round Gunn was clearly winning but the points tally was 15-5 in Dr Deaths favour. Certain guys got points given to them more generously than others.

That said by the semi's they had pretty much decided that Bart was to win the whole thing to the point that he had an angle with Godfather running about it.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Though technically a shoot, if you actually watch a lot of the early round matches there is OBVIOUS bias towards certain management favorites (Bradshaw, Williams, Godfather) and obvious fixing against guys like Mero (who, along with Sable, was universally disliked backstage and on his way out of the company).

Once Severn and Williams were out it was obvious they didn't give a gently caress anymore and just decided to ride Bart Gunn all the way, especially since he didn't have much competition with Mero screwed and Blackman injured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP5XkOk7I1w

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 25, 2013

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Skinty McEdger posted:

Some of the scoring was a work, though the fights were not actually. For example in the Gunn/Doctor Death match going into the third round Gunn was clearly winning but the points tally was 15-5 in Dr Deaths favour. Certain guys got points given to them more generously than others.

That said by the semi's they had pretty much decided that Bart was to win the whole thing to the point that he had an angle with Godfather running about it.

To be fair this is pretty common in real boxing too.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Shiki Dan posted:

Though technically a shoot, if you actually watch a lot of the early round matches there is OBVIOUS bias towards certain management favorites (Bradshaw, Williams, Godfather) and obvious fixing against guys like Mero (who, along with Sable, was universally disliked backstage and on his way out of the company).

Once Severn and Williams were out it was obvious they didn't give a gently caress anymore and just decided to ride Bart Gunn all the way, especially since he didn't have much competition with Mero screwed and Blackman injured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP5XkOk7I1w

I'd heard Cornette absolutely rage over the Brawl For All tournament and the injuries it caused and the careers it shortened. Watching it now I have to wonder how anybody thought it was a good idea.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They should at least not have had the final be against someone who was not a wrestler and would never be. (And was also some kind of ogre.)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Maxwell Lord posted:

They should at least not have had the final be against someone who was not a wrestler and would never be. (And was also some kind of ogre.)

The Butterbean thing wasn't part of the tournament, it was done months later to get a mild boxing draw on Mania and secondarily to humiliate Bart Gunn.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

jeffersonlives posted:

The Butterbean thing wasn't part of the tournament, it was done months later to get a mild boxing draw on Mania and secondarily to humiliate Bart Gunn.

If I remember right, Butterbean didn't appear at all to promote the WM match. No promo, nothing. Even the image of him in the bumpers was just a cutout still from somewhere else. He just showed up, blew Bart away, and left. And I haven't seen him since. Even back then, I thought it was really strange.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

JR was so happy when he got the chance to humiliate someone for a change.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Speaking of ":wtc: where they thinking" gimmick matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrdS0a3VWwo

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If you believe Bob Holly, they were so sure Dr. Death was going to win that they'd already paid him his prize money before he went out and lost.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Describe to me, in detail, what happened on the worst year of the WWE and why it sucked.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Describe to me, in detail, what happened on the worst year of the WWE and why it sucked.

The year is 2013. Daniel Bryan is not WWE Champion.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

1995. Kevin Nash as champion, Mabel got a main event push.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The answer is always Diesel.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CobiWann posted:

My favorite, though, is the guitar screech before John Morrison would walk out.
I don't remember who, but when I used to lurk WH2K threads, someone used to post :lsd:NOW LISTEN:lsd: whenever Morrison came out.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cromulent posted:

One thing that still isn't clear is whether Severn removing himself from the tournament was a shoot or not. I've heard that he actually did remove himself, and I've also heard that creative asked him to drop out because they didn't want him to win.

I'm still convinced management asked him to drop out, because they knew, even with the crooked points-scoring, he'd clean house with pretty much anyone else in the tournament. Watch his match with the Godfather in the first round. He realizes he can game the system just by taking Godfather down, letting him get to his feet, then doing the same again for the rest of the match. The score ended up like, 50-5.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Cocksmith posted:

1995. Kevin Nash as champion, Mabel got a main event push.

They were quite literally running RAW in highschool gyms in this period.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

VogeGandire posted:

I'm still convinced management asked him to drop out, because they knew, even with the crooked points-scoring, he'd clean house with pretty much anyone else in the tournament. Watch his match with the Godfather in the first round. He realizes he can game the system just by taking Godfather down, letting him get to his feet, then doing the same again for the rest of the match. The score ended up like, 50-5.
IIRC, the scoring system only gave points for punches and takedowns and didn't allow any groundwork, so Severn wasn't really "gaming the system." Just deciding not to trade punches with a much bigger and taller guy.

The claim that Severn was asked to leave the tournament comes from Severn himself, and I believe him.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 25, 2013

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Ghostpilot posted:

Vince excitedly tripping over his words and shouting "STEP DADDY" at the start of this is brilliant.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ghostpilot posted:

This is so ridiculous it warps back to being awesome.

Edit: Oh god the football puns don't stop. :allears:

RBX fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

magnum_valentino posted:

Vince excitedly tripping over his words and shouting "STEP DADDY"

I think I know what Daniel Bryan's next gimmick is going to be.