Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

the least weasel posted:

You might wanna sort out your quoted text here since the guy you replied to messed up his spoiler tags.

Thanks, I totally missed that on my bitty phone screen. I think that was actually my bad in breaking his tags, but all fixed now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Just confirmed my preorder of Assail by Esslemont.
July 2014 can't come fast enough, even if it is Esslemont.
Final chapter of that series.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013
I finally finished Toll the Hounds and what a loving slog that was (which is completely unrelated to it being the longest novel in the series.)

Then Dust of Dreams opens with a bang and segues into something resembling a clearly defined plot. I'm excited about this series again.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

snooman posted:

I finally finished Toll the Hounds and what a loving slog that was (which is completely unrelated to it being the longest novel in the series.)

Then Dust of Dreams opens with a bang and segues into something resembling a clearly defined plot. I'm excited about this series again.

Just don't forget that DoD doesn't have quite the same whiz bang final 1/3 as pretty much every other book in the series, since it's technically 'The Crippled God Pt 1.' It's still good, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't have quite the same "well that was a hell of a resolution" feel to it.

On the other hand, TCG is basically one whiz bang moment after another so it more than makes up for it.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Ugh you guys are making Orb Sceptre Throne really hard to get through. :saddowns: I actually think it's my favorite ICE book though.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

apophenium posted:

Ugh you guys are making Orb Sceptre Throne really hard to get through. :saddowns: I actually think it's my favorite ICE book though.

It's definitely his best up to that point.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

Habibi posted:

Just don't forget that DoD doesn't have quite the same whiz bang final 1/3 as pretty much every other book in the series, since it's technically 'The Crippled God Pt 1.' It's still good, don't get me wrong, it just doesn't have quite the same "well that was a hell of a resolution" feel to it.

On the other hand, TCG is basically one whiz bang moment after another so it more than makes up for it.

This is my first time through; I expect to have a much better understanding of events the next time around.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Doesn't DoD have a lot of the Snake parts in it? Everyone seemed to hate those

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

Doesn't DoD have a lot of the Snake parts in it? Everyone seemed to hate those

Yes, do does TCG. I personally didn't mind them. But the snake parts were a lot better for me on reread, when you know ahead of time that they are a vehicle for D'rek, the Worm of Autumn.'

Habibi fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 20, 2013

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Habibi posted:

Yes, do does TCG. I personally didn't money them. But the snake parts were a lot better for me on reread, when you know ahead of time that they are a vehicle for D'rek, the Worm of Autumn.'

Argh just read that spoiler accidentally, about 80% through TCG. Anyway, I enjoyed most of the snake parts, I thought they were interestingly written and portrayed.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

gregarious Ted posted:

Argh just read that spoiler accidentally, about 80% through TCG. Anyway, I enjoyed most of the snake parts, I thought they were interestingly written and portrayed.

Yeah they were definitely interestingly written and portrayed, it just makes more sense in every way (like how they survived) once you know that. But I actually thought that bit of knowledge was already cleared up by the 80% mark. Maybe not. What scene are you on?

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Habibi posted:

Yeah they were definitely interestingly written and portrayed, it just makes more sense in every way (like how they survived) once you know that. But I actually thought that bit of knowledge was already cleared up by the 80% mark. Maybe not. What scene are you on?

The Imass just got re-made, teamed up with the Jaghut, Shemales and and Teblor to kill some dudes. It's been heaps of battles, nothing about the malazans for a while - that's probably the next chapter

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

gregarious Ted posted:

The Imass just got re-made, teamed up with the Jaghut, Shemales and and Teblor to kill some dudes. It's been heaps of battles, nothing about the malazans for a while - that's probably the next chapter

Huh, I think you are actually post that part. Where did you last leave Tavore's forces?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I accidentally clicked that spoiler on my phone. :/ I just started the 9th book. Oh well. Maybe it will mean I hate these 'snake parts' less.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Side note but holy crap until this day I hadn't realised you could click on spoiler tags to make them stay visible. :downs:

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
I'm too lazy to go back and figure this out - I'm reading Memories of Ice, does anyone remember how Toc initially got separated from Lady Envy and her crew and captured by the Jaghut Tyrant/forced(?) to join the Tenescowri?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

(MoI)The group reached a town together where the Tenescowri were, they met some priests of the pannion who said that theyll bring them to a place to watch the Tenescowri in peace, the Tenescowri charged them and Envy/Seguleh/Dog/Wolf/Tool started tearing poo poo apart. Toc was like "aw hell naw I gotta get to my buddies" so he ran away and joined the Tenescowri hoping to get intel and link back up with the Malazans. Didn't work out for him.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Habibi posted:

Huh, I think you are actually post that part. Where did you last leave Tavore's forces?

Tavore had just cut herself using Bugg's knife gift, summoning a bunch of water. It's possible that I missed it or it was a bit discrete. I was under the impression that the snake were linked to a new force of magic, post-warren. Or that they were linked to Icarius somehow. I also thought that Sinn was too, but she was just using Tellas?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Xachariah posted:

(MoI)The group reached a town together where the Tenescowri were, they met some priests of the pannion who said that theyll bring them to a place to watch the Tenescowri in peace, the Tenescowri charged them and Envy/Seguleh/Dog/Wolf/Tool started tearing poo poo apart. Toc was like "aw hell naw I gotta get to my buddies" so he ran away and joined the Tenescowri hoping to get intel and link back up with the Malazans. Didn't work out for him.

Not much works out for Toc through the entire series, he's sort of the Jonah for the Malazan world.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

gregarious Ted posted:

Tavore had just cut herself using Bugg's knife gift, summoning a bunch of water. It's possible that I missed it or it was a bit discrete. I was under the impression that the snake were linked to a new force of magic, post-warren. Or that they were linked to Icarius somehow. I also thought that Sinn was too, but she was just using Tellas?

Ah, no, you're not there yet, but you're getting close. Just pay attention to Banaschar. I actually missed it the first time through.

Sinn is uh...special. She is channeling one of Icarium's new warrens, but uh...and I cant recall if this has been explicitly laid out for you yet so don't necessarily keep reading, but let's just say the fire elemental born in Y'ghatan didn't die there...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Cardiac posted:

Not much works out for Toc through the entire series, he's sort of the Jonah for the Malazan world.

doesn't he get accepted by the Bridgeburner-special-edition-protectors-of-the-gates-of-death as one of them somewhere near the end? I mean, it's not the greatest thing but...

Man I forgot how much Karsa is stupid dipshit rear end in a top hat when we're first introduced to him

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

doesn't he get accepted by the Bridgeburner-special-edition-protectors-of-the-gates-of-death as one of them somewhere near the end? I mean, it's not the greatest thing but...
Yeah, he was also critical in bringing Hetan back to life.

quote:

Man I forgot how much Karsa is stupid dipshit rear end in a top hat when we're first introduced to him

Karsa is awesome.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Levitate posted:

They had to show him as an arrogant rear end in a top hat before they could humble him. Character growth and such, can't make everyone an overly prescient philosopher from the beginning.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yeah I know he's just pretty drat annoying for the first bit of that book, though he at least shows he's not stupid. Just really naive I guess and being manipulated

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Xachariah posted:

They had to show him as an arrogant rear end in a top hat before they could humble him.

What? Are we reading the same Karsa?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Well, he was caught, enslaved, tied to a board for months, and he learned the error of declaring single man war on everyone that breathes.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

nucleicmaxid posted:

What? Are we reading the same Karsa?

Yes and he is pretty thoroughly humbled by the end of the series.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Ah. I have not gotten there yet I suppose. I'm only just starting book 9.

Quilmes
Aug 21, 2012

nucleicmaxid posted:

Ah. I have not gotten there yet I suppose. I'm only just starting book 9.

I am pretty sure Karsa is humbled when they free Calm, the Forkrul Assail.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I never got how Toc had a wolf spirit inside him the whole time.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

amuayse posted:

I never got how Toc had a wolf spirit inside him the whole time.

sometimes you get hit in the face by sky garbage and sometimes it contains the soul of a wolf god

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Dalmuti posted:

sometimes you get hit in the face by sky garbage and sometimes it contains the soul of a wolf god

This series seems to have a lot of that kind of stuff. I was confused as hell when Tool materialized out of dust in Book 1, but now I mostly take such events in stride.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
If you just tell yourself a wizard did it you're usually right

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Toc was thrown into the warren of chaos when Hairlock ambushed him and Paran in GotM. Togg's spirit was already hanging out in the warren of chaos because it got sucked into there when the Chained God was called down and hosed everything up (as a side note pretty much everything can be blamed on Kallor)

Togg's spirit found Toc's body there and ya know made itself a home, because he/it/whatever recognized this as a chance to escape and search for Fanderay

It's pretty explicitly spelled out in the beginning of MoI that this is what happens but a lot of poo poo like that goes on in the books that you don't necessary notice or remember at first.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I guess the only thing weird about the Malazan books at that point is the existence of disbelief in the setting. "Ancient undead races destroyed my homework!" should be a credible excuse.
Toc having Togg's spirit was kind of hammered in a lot by every character and their mom going "Woah man, did you know you have a wolf's eyes and spirit!? You should be called the Wolfiest Wolf!"

amuayse fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 27, 2013

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

amuayse posted:

I guess the only thing weird about the Malazan books at that point is the existence of disbelief in the setting. "Ancient undead races destroyed my homework!" should be a credible excuse.

Most of the characters we encounter in the books are either beings of incredible power, or normal people who encounter beings of incredible power for some reason. I imagine that 99% of the people in the world just do their thing and never encounter any immortal Orcish philosopher-wizard-hermits, or undead dragons, or dinosaurs with swords for hands. (Or they do encounter them, very briefly, right at the very end of their lives.) Consider Sorry's village at the very beginning of GotM - a bunch of people that just fish a lot to try to scrape a living, trying to stay out of the way of the army, nothing crazy going on except the creepy old woman who can maybe do a bit of magic. And then once a god turns his attention to them, they're all dead.

quote:

Toc having Togg's spirit was kind of hammered in a lot by every character and their mom going "Woah man, did you know you have a wolf's eyes and spirit!? You should be called the Wolfiest Wolf!"

I found a picture of him:

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Leospeare posted:

I imagine that 99% of the people in the world just do their thing and never encounter any immortal Orcish philosopher-wizard-hermits, or undead dragons, or dinosaurs with swords for hands. (Or they do encounter them, very briefly, right at the very end of their lives.) Consider Sorry's village at the very beginning of GotM - a bunch of people that just fish a lot to try to scrape a living, trying to stay out of the way of the army, nothing crazy going on except the creepy old woman who can maybe do a bit of magic.

I actually find a huge disconnect in BotF between the power levels seen and the mass destruction witnessed and the idea that normal people and normal villages exist at all.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I actually find a huge disconnect in BotF between the power levels seen and the mass destruction witnessed and the idea that normal people and normal villages exist at all.

I don't really see why. The Book tracks a particular chain of events that happens to result in unusually dramatic consequences in an unusually short period of time (for that world). Even during WW2, you had plenty of places around the world and even near the conflict that remained completely untouched.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Of course, all the other parts of the world are also undergoing equally momentous change through crazy stuff according to ICEs books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

bigmcgaffney posted:

Of course, all the other parts of the world are also undergoing equally momentous change through crazy stuff according to ICEs books.

And to be fair, toward the end it's increasingly difficult to find isolated, unaffected areas because of all the converging goings on. But a lot of it still concerns fairly limited actors and areas. Eg: Stonewielder has momentous things happen, but ultimately most of the crazy poo poo only a few people witness.