Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Thanks guys for the stealth tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Snicker-Snack posted:

Yes. You can tell if it's real shadows when your character gets darker.

So standing in the shadows of some trees gives you a bonus, mind blown :aaa:

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

So standing in the shadows of some trees gives you a bonus, mind blown :aaa:

If only they had put the same effort into the engine's pathfinding.

Narrow corridors :argh:

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Karmalaa70 posted:

Level 10 is the typical dual point for Swashbuckler to Mage.

Does this mean 9 thief levels and then dual class or 10 levels?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Snicker-Snack posted:

Yes. You can tell if it's real shadows when your character gets darker.

Or just memorize all light maps

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Does this mean 9 thief levels and then dual class or 10 levels?

10. Swashbucklers get -1 AC and +1 to hit/damage bonuses at level 10.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Talking to the mayor of Nashkel will stop the timer on Xzar as well right? (I assume so since it works that way on Jaheira.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Did they change the Neshkel shop keeper? I couldn't steal the +1 shield from him. Even after drinking a potion of master theiving and having 115 pick pocket.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
His chance to catch you is probably much higher than 15%. Drink another one.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Anyone have any experience getting IWD1 stable in Win7? I managed to play for a few hours but then it started stuttering and crashing periodicity and now won't load any save games.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I was too afraid of having Jaheria yell at me once I got done with her harper quest so I had her die and then kicked her out. I was doing her a favor right? She never lived to see me betray her.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Blacknose posted:

Anyone have any experience getting IWD1 stable in Win7? I managed to play for a few hours but then it started stuttering and crashing periodicity and now won't load any save games.

Not the answer you're looking for, but the GoG version should be pretty stable in windows 7.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
UNNNNHHH

BG2EE I'm in the shadow temple, and I can't open the eyeball in the statue. I can detect the trap, and when I walk away so I don't get the dialog circle do-hickey, I can't select it. Holding tab doesn't highlight it. It has the +3 sling!!!! AIIEEEE

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Have you completed its puzzle? I must admit, I'd forgotten all about that part, so I'm not sure if that has any bearing on it.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK this is pretty annoying. Hexxat quest in BG2:EE. I have spoken to the knight guard guy who gave me the rod, but I have no idea where to use it. So I am walking around and attacking shadow creatures and finding no door or place to use the item... any help?

EDIT: Found it. That loving bucket thing, wtf.

And how... loving... bad... is Hexxat's voice acting? Wow.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 25, 2013

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
the eye doesn't have the sling, I was mistaken. I still want that treasure though!

Dragomir tomb rod use: its a little pot looking thing by the front.

Hexxat quest line question I'm in the sand place and it won't let me select the names of the 4 ghost guys at the front. Do I need to murder then first or something?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

BadAstronaut posted:

OK this is pretty annoying. Hexxat quest in BG2:EE. I have spoken to the knight guard guy who gave me the rod, but I have no idea where to use it. So I am walking around and attacking shadow creatures and finding no door or place to use the item... any help?

There's a hole on the northern wall somewhat close to the entrance. You should get an emote when you get close to it/mouse over it of your PC noticing it.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Also the new lines of dialogue are sometimes just... silly. Like they tried to throw in too many comic options instead of actual possible real responses. Just for this quest so far I'm noticing it. It seems a little bit out of place.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Molybdenum posted:

Hexxat quest line question I'm in the sand place and it won't let me select the names of the 4 ghost guys at the front. Do I need to murder then first or something?
You just ignore those guys, if I remember correctly. They're just there to give you a vague hint about the next challenge room.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Also the new lines of dialogue are sometimes just... silly. Like they tried to throw in too many comic options instead of actual possible real responses. Just for this quest so far I'm noticing it. It seems a little bit out of place.

I agree, but it's still not as bad/out of place as a lot of the character selection audio clips from the original baldur's gate. STOP TOUCHING MEEE.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Basic Chunnel posted:

You just ignore those guys, if I remember correctly. They're just there to give you a vague hint about the next challenge room.

am I missing a trigger somewhere then? I'm talking to the stone wall guy and I only have 2 name group choices, neither of which count. Also what the heck are the lamp oil and statue for?

oh i get it. books. geez. I just assumed it was all History of Zhentarim, etc. etc.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 25, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

This Dragomir fight. Bullshit. I'm normally not a sperging nerd about this kind of thing but this is really not as good and well designed as the original BG2 content. From the voice acting to the dialogue options to the weird bucket-to-open-a-tomb to the way that literally only two items in my inventory, and no magic, can affect this enemy? What the gently caress Overhaul Games?

So if I tell this quest to gently caress right off for a while and go level up, get some better items and some potions to spam and overcome this terrible quest, how much time do I have before Hexxat gives up on me and I fail the quest?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Isn't the Hexxat voice acting for that part of the quest intentional?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

BadAstronaut posted:

Yeah. If anything, the new content reminds me of Dragon Age 2, where you got to choose between the Serious, Joke and Evil responses.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

LibbyM posted:

I agree, but it's still not as bad/out of place as a lot of the character selection audio clips from the original baldur's gate. STOP TOUCHING MEEE.
So much of BG1's audio was just goofy. Khalid's Chia ad, Xzar and Jaheira breaking the fourth wall outright. And the dialogue choices contained much more "ye" and "thou" than subsequent games.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Yea its absolutely intentional given shes a mind controlled thrall that is just there until Hexxat can be freed.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

So much of BG1's audio was just goofy. Khalid's Chia ad, Xzar and Jaheira breaking the fourth wall outright. And the dialogue choices contained much more "ye" and "thou" than subsequent games.

I seriously consider throwing Jaheira out of my party because I can only hear "Yes, oh omnipresent authority figure?" so many times before I want to turn off the game.

BadAstronaut posted:

This Dragomir fight. Bullshit. I'm normally not a sperging nerd about this kind of thing but this is really not as good and well designed as the original BG2 content. From the voice acting to the dialogue options to the weird bucket-to-open-a-tomb to the way that literally only two items in my inventory, and no magic, can affect this enemy? What the gently caress Overhaul Games?

I beat the Dragomir fight by just webbing him in place and pelting him with ranged stuff/magic. Magic can definitely affect him.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 25, 2013

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

LibbyM posted:

I beat the Dragomir fight by just webbing him in place and pelting him with ranged stuff/magic. Magic can definitely affect him.

I love how magic missile seemingly ignores 90% of the magic protection/missile protection stuff in the game. I have no idea what does and doesnt defend from it but tend to chuck them every fight to see if they go through.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

kingcom posted:

I love how magic missile seemingly ignores 90% of the magic protection/missile protection stuff in the game. I have no idea what does and doesnt defend from it but tend to chuck them every fight to see if they go through.
It's not that it ignores it in vanilla baldur's gate, it's just a lot of enemies won't use the most basic of magic missile protection spells (shield), or even the more advanced versions (globe of invuln etc).

This is pretty much why the SCS mod exists, to "fix" the mage AI into layering spell protections. The actual spells themselves work quite well even without mods (sometimes a little too well, looking at you chain contingency!)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rascyc posted:

It's not that it ignores it in vanilla baldur's gate, it's just a lot of enemies won't use the most basic of magic missile protection spells (shield), or even the more advanced versions (globe of invuln etc).

This is pretty much why the SCS mod exists, to "fix" the mage AI into layering spell protections. The actual spells themselves work quite well even without mods (sometimes a little too well, looking at you chain contingency!)

I don't know the combat system well enough to deal with it to be honest so without being able to reliably interrupt spellcasters with magic missile spam would screw me in BG2.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Rascyc posted:

I get exactly what it is trying to do, but it is not doing it well or convincingly.

How long do I have before Hexxat leaves (does this quest have a time limit)?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's not supposed to be convincing. It's supposed to be obvious.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Sigh. I'll stop describing my opinion of something that I think could have been pulled off much better.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I've always had trouble playing bg2 as anything other than a fighter, all the rest seemed like too much effort/not fun enough. Branching out is a good thing though, so kind goons, what do i play: a cleric/ranger or a Fighter dualed into thief (or i guess a multi class). I'm always completely stuck, days on end, picking a character.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

BadAstronaut posted:

So if I tell this quest to gently caress right off for a while and go level up, get some better items and some potions to spam and overcome this terrible quest, how much time do I have before Hexxat gives up on me and I fail the quest?

fight tips:

+3 weapons hit him, early +3 weapons? There's Lilarcor, a +3 2H sword, bernard sells a couple different types (axe and long sword for sure) after freeing hendak, +3 dagger on the planar prison (haer'daleis quest, started in bridge district five flagon inn/sewer)

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

canada jezus posted:

I've always had trouble playing bg2 as anything other than a fighter, all the rest seemed like too much effort/not fun enough. Branching out is a good thing though, so kind goons, what do i play: a cleric/ranger or a Fighter dualed into thief (or i guess a multi class). I'm always completely stuck, days on end, picking a character.

My go to standard was always fighter dual classed into cleric after getting grandmaster in warhammer and sword/shield style. Then you get to swing crom faeyr (or turn) while covered under a cloud of blades. I think you can also abuse the fast running boots to walk people in and out of the cloud to get multiple triggers.

Also! Haste + running boots stack like whoa in BG2EE

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

canada jezus posted:

Fighter / Thief is going to present you with the smallest change from basic fighter types, since all you're really adding in terms of combat is the ability to backstab from concealment. Cleric / ranger is a legit casting class in addition to being a competent fighter class and it's the most munchkin-y kit in the game bar none for several reasons, so you can't go wrong with it.

One thing that makes thieves a little more attractive in EE is that they changed trapsetting for all thieves to mirror that of the vanilla Bounty Hunter kit - in other words, it becomes a minor AoE. Bounty Hunters still get the weirdest and wildest trap effects but regular thieves get some guaranteed damage and the possibility of poison, so.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Molybdenum posted:

the eye doesn't have the sling, I was mistaken. I still want that treasure though!

The only thing that's in there is a single diamond.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Basic Chunnel posted:

Whenever I see the silly script of BG1 I'm reminded of how long ago the game came out. Only a couple games back then put a lot of effort into their writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Basic Chunnel posted:

Fighter / Thief is going to present you with the smallest change from basic fighter types, since all you're really adding in terms of combat is the ability to backstab from concealment. Cleric / ranger is a legit casting class in addition to being a competent fighter class and it's the most munchkin-y kit in the game bar none for several reasons, so you can't go wrong with it.

One thing that makes thieves a little more attractive in EE is that they changed trapsetting for all thieves to mirror that of the vanilla Bounty Hunter kit - in other words, it becomes a minor AoE. Bounty Hunters still get the weirdest and wildest trap effects but regular thieves get some guaranteed damage and the possibility of poison, so.
Do Fighter/Thief multi if anything, not a big fan of the dual here, because half the beauty of Fighter/Thief is combining both sets of HLAs in ToB.

Don't feel like you need backstab if you don't want to, although it is about half the point of the class. But the HLA combo really is that strong. Time stop trap into improved critical while hasted, etc, and use any item is no slouch.