Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

We're all trapped in a maze of relationships.
And the only cure is dancing all night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
As an FYI, the Persona Arena Ultimate is not like Street Fighter where it's just an upgrade with more characaters.

It's got a whole new storyline altogether.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Am I bad person for wanting the Demi-Fiend/Hito-Shura from Nocturne appearing in a Persona fighting game?

Edit: Missing words.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 25, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Neurion posted:

Am I bad person for wanting the Demi-Fiend/Hito-Shura from appearing in a Persona fighting game?

As bad as I am for wanting Raidou Kuzunoha in it as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Coughing Hobo posted:

No, you are a beautiful person with great taste.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, you are a beautiful person with great taste.

He wanted Raidou in but didn't say anything about Raido. :colbert:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

He wanted Raidou in but didn't say anything about Raido. :colbert:

Talking is for scrubs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You all forgot about Raiho. Shame on you.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Raiho will obviously be Raidou's "persona".

Or at least involved in his one-hit-kill attack.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

[Persona 3 spoiler]
So Ryoji isn't dead? I only played P3P, didn't play through The Answer or any of the extended stuff, but there he is in the Persona Q trailer

Excited for Persona 5, glad I don't have to buy a next-gen system for it. Also glad to see the Persona 3 cast is back to shooting themselves in the head, P4:A looked a bit odd without that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

[Persona 3 spoiler]
So Ryoji isn't dead? I only played P3P, didn't play through The Answer or any of the extended stuff, but there he is in the Persona Q trailer

Excited for Persona 5, glad I don't have to buy a next-gen system for it. Also glad to see the Persona 3 cast is back to shooting themselves in the head, P4:A looked a bit odd without that.

Shinjiro and Mikoto are there too. It takes place mid game for P3 and P4.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

[Persona 3 spoiler]

He is, but so are Shinjiro and the P3 MC, and they're around too, so... I think PQ just takes place somewhere in the middle of P3.

e: f;b

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Ah yeah, this settles it. I'm holding off on a PS4 and going for a PS3 when I've got the money for it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Hellioning posted:

Shinjiro and Mikoto are there too. It takes place mid game for P3 and P4.

Strange Quark posted:

He is, but so are Shinjiro and the P3 MC, and they're around too, so... I think PQ just takes place somewhere in the middle of P3.

e: f;b

You two are right, didn't even see that.

That being said, I wish it was on Vita. :(

derra
Dec 29, 2012

You two are right, didn't even see that.

That being said, I wish it was on Vita. :(

That's ... that's Adachi at the end of the P4A2 trailer right?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

derra posted:

Yep. He showed up in the live show, too, as part of the P4A2 section. He talked to Yukari for a bit, then Shadow Chie interrupted.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

derra posted:

You mean this? I have no idea.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I'm guessing in the English dub Johnny Yong Bosch is gonna give him that weird squeaky voice he used in the anime.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

That bothered me quite a bit, but he seemed to become less squeaky when his game was finally revealed and he became actively menacing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You mean this? I have no idea.

There were some screenshots of Adachi showing up as an opponent, so I would assume as much

E.

Strange Quark posted:

Dunno if this is official but:

VVV: I'm just happy to see more of the best character in P4. :v:

(It was official but you don't actually fight him, so :shrug:)

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 25, 2013

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

(Persona 4 and Arena spoilers)We have no idea if you actually fight Adachi. It looked like in that scene he was just summoning Yukari's Shadow self. He could very well be a battle towards the end.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Gonna be a long 2014.

Guess it's time to go full-on media blackout for a while, since ANY Persona-related convo will now spoil one of the 4 games. Hey guys, did you hear that the character you did not expect would return comes back???

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Gonna be a long 2014.

Guess it's time to go full-on media blackout for a while, since ANY Persona-related convo will now spoil one of the 4 games. Hey guys, did you hear that the character you did not expect would return comes back???

Eikichi comes back!?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mister Roboto posted:

Gonna be a long 2014.

I'm sure that 3 of the 4 games aren't exactly going to have mindblowing stories. One is a dance game, one is a fighting game (and an expansion at that), one is a canon-shattering crossover game... I'm sure you'd be fine.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

W.T. Fits posted:

We're all trapped in a maze of relationships.
And the only cure is dancing all night.

So I was away from the Internets for 2 days and then this happens. Atlus gets +100 to Trolling. That said, it's a Vita rhythm game, Persona game with that awesome OST, and it's just hilarious so you all know you are buying this if it gets brought over (and we got Miku so why they heck not).

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm sure that 3 of the 4 games aren't exactly going to have mindblowing stories. One is a dance game, one is a fighting game (and an expansion at that), one is a canon-shattering crossover game... I'm sure you'd be fine.

The fighting games are actually pretty well done, honestly. We've had more people playing P4:A than Marvel vs Capcom 3 in the monthly tournaments I go to.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

PArena 2 is a whole new story, it's not just an expansion. It's a sequel to Persona Arena's story.

Persona Arena is a direct sequel to Persona 4's story. Didn't you play it? There's more story than actual gameplay. And there were PLENTY of surprise character moments and appearances that would've had their impact ruined by casual spoiler comments.

So the story will matter and, yes, being spoiled for little details does ruin a bit of the experience. Maybe not for you, but that's no reason to spoil things for others just because it may not personally affect you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The fighting games are actually pretty well done, honestly. We've had more people playing P4:A than Marvel vs Capcom 3 in the monthly tournaments I go to.

Oh I know they are, they're excellent. I just mean that in the sense that the plot of Arena is probably not going to carry over *too* much to non-Arena games. But hey, I could always be wrong.

E. Ah, as for the rest, you guys are considering *everything* canon as long as it makes vague sense for it to be so. :shrug: Why not, I guess. My bad, I discounted the spinoffs as just that, spinoffs.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 25, 2013

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Just going to add onto Mister Roboto, but information has also already trickled out that the dance game is also a canonical part of the storyline. I think someone already mentioned it a few pages back, but I'll list the pertinent points already known.

-It's set 6 months after Persona 4, just as Rise is really getting back into showbiz.(Arena 1 is something like 2 months after P4, and it has some mention of her back in the idol business, so I'll just assume she was still getting back into practice for a few months to keep the timeline coherent)
-A new rumor begins that if you see a strange video playing on a certain site, you are transported to the 'other side' and never wake up again, and members of Kanami Mashita's(Kanamin, she's mentioned in the P4 Lovers SL) idol group begin disappearing.
-The characters engage in a "dance battle" with Shadows in the mysterious world of "Mayonaka Stage"(Translated as Midnight Stage, perhaps? I know the Midnight Channel was initially Mayonaka TV).

So how deep the plot is going to get is up in the air, but it does actually have one that's relevant to the world. As for how this squares with P4's ending, this combined with stuff already known from P4A probably just means that Nyarlthotep has started screwing around again. My personal opinion is that, with Igor's VA dying, they're transitioning back to Philemon and the Crawling Chaos and the extended P4 storyline is setting the stage.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Before we ever had a whiff of Arena 2, a part of me honestly thought that the unresolved plot points in Arena 1 would be tackled in Persona 5. It felt like it could be big enough, like franchise-spanning big, to warrant a place there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kanji being playable in P4D makes me wonder how they're gonna get around him looking wildly different in P4G's epilogue. I assume they set Ultimax right after Arena at least in part to get around that problem.

I'd love them to incorporate his new look, but they'll probably handwave it somehow.

Not sure if really a spoiler, but just in case,

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MrAristocrates posted:

Kanji being playable in P4D makes me wonder how they're gonna get around him looking wildly different in P4G's epilogue. I assume they set Ultimax right after Arena at least in part to get around that problem.

I'd love them to incorporate his new look, but they'll probably handwave it somehow.

Maybe he'll get both costumes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

MrAristocrates posted:

You say that, but Yu still has his Yasogami uniform on despite not being enrolled there for months.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Strange Quark posted:

You say that, but Yu still has his Yasogami uniform on despite not being enrolled there for months.

Yu would never get rid of his Yaso uniform!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Neurion posted:

Yu would never get rid of his Yaso uniform!

Exactly. And given that the year pins on the uniforms of both Kanji and Yosuke changed, it wasn't simply a matter of the team getting lazy either and coming up with an excuse.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Exactly. And given that the year pins on the uniforms of both Kanji and Yosuke changed, it wasn't simply a matter of the team getting lazy either and coming up with an excuse.

If you want to get in-universe about it you could say they're using the uniforms to sneak in weapons/armor again and he didn't want to look suspicious.

More practically, what else would he wear? I would say "They want him to keep his iconic look" but then again they put Akihiko in a cape.

Unrelated, a fun (possible repost) music video I found today, minor spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f9E4ic1Tt0

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 25, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

MrAristocrates posted:

He's going to spontaneously switch from his more mature self to his former "ready to tumble" looks everytime he needs it, complete with folding chair and all. He has achieved nirvana, the material realm bends to his will.
Regarding Igor's Japanase VA's death, I don't mean to sound callous, but is it that much of a roadblock? Couldn't they replace him?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Iceclaw posted:

Regarding Igor's Japanase VA's death, I don't mean to sound callous, but is it that much of a roadblock? Couldn't they replace him?

The Japanese are very protective about voice roles. Generally, once someone voices a character they are effectively that character forever. Certain exceptions have been made, but more often than not anime/games will simply write around the character in question and handwave a reason for their absence.

In Mobile Suit Gundam, one of the original characters was supposed to be around through the main series. The character never actually appeared due to her actress being on safari or something for the first two series, and then getting throat cancer for the third. Any appearance the character has made in the series has been mute, basically.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

I always figured Naoto was supposed to be a slightly younger, spergier Raidou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you want to get in-universe about it you could say they're using the uniforms to sneak in weapons/armor again and he didn't want to look suspicious.

More practically, what else would he wear? I would say "They want him to keep his iconic look" but then again they put Akihiko in a cape.

If the 6 month timer starts at the end of Persona 4, that puts Dance All Night shortly after Golden's epilogue. If you go by "after the murders" as described on the site, that puts it between P4A and the Epilogue.

As far as their looks go, if they set it between arena and the epilogue, they just shoe horn in the character deciding to change after facing off against their shadows yet again.

If it's set after the epilogue, Yu changed up his style to wear yellow headphones and Rise is of course dressed differently because of her idol work.

Just repeat to yourself 'it's just a game; I should really just relax'

• Locked thread