Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

McMadCow posted:

These are generally nice, but you sure do like to have your model looking in camera out of the extreme corner of her eye. It's really awkward. A good guideline to use is that you should be able to see whites of the eyes on either side of the iris. Of course rules are made to be broken, but it's not working here- especially the last two.

Good point, thanks. Any advice on how to avoid it? Is it bad camera positioning relative to where she is or should I be directing her to look somewhere other than directly down the lens?

I really enjoy your work BTW, post more photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
I like to tell my clients to point the nose at the light and look at the camera from that angle, provided the light is nearby me.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

deaders posted:

Good point, thanks. Any advice on how to avoid it? Is it bad camera positioning relative to where she is or should I be directing her to look somewhere other than directly down the lens?

I don't really know what to say to avoid it- I don't usually have my models look directly in-camera, but that's just me. I keep it in mind when I do, though. If you're making your model do something that feels awkward to them, there's a good chance it's going to look awkward to the viewer. Unless you're shooting high fashion, in which case get crazy.

deaders posted:

I really enjoy your work BTW, post more photos.

Thanks! Unfortunately I'm not shooting much at the moment. Not with film, at least. I just finished my masters program and I don't have access to the school's darkroom anymore. Plus I have a truckload of debt and no job and I'm living overseas and and and... basically I can't afford to print my work at the moment, and I won't be able to until I have income. :smith:

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
You'll jump back in the saddle eventually. Regroup, recover and then report back! I had to take a break myself due to job issues: it sucks.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
nevermind

DAMN NIGGA fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 27, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I made photographs of a person this weekend,

. by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

8th-snype posted:

I made photographs of a person this weekend,

The second one is really nice, with nice lighting. It's slightly flat in its tones though, and could possibly benefit from a burn from the bottom up in order to bring the focus back to your subject's face. I have a fetish for crazy burns though, so take it as a completely personal suggesting. It's still a nicely executed shot.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

McMadCow posted:

The second one is really nice, with nice lighting. It's slightly flat in its tones though, and could possibly benefit from a burn from the bottom up in order to bring the focus back to your subject's face. I have a fetish for crazy burns though, so take it as a completely personal suggesting. It's still a nicely executed shot.

I really dig the way the 180mm Xenar draws people at wider apertures. I like my B&W a little flatter than most people so I didn't really mess with the contrast at all, there is probably a little flare in there from shooting into the light with a 40 year old lens at f/5.6.

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012
Recently finished processing a shoot from a month or so ago:

IMG_2805-Edit.jpg by ArtisticPretensions, on Flickr

IMG_2804-Edit.jpg by ArtisticPretensions, on Flickr

IMG_2881-Edit.jpg by ArtisticPretensions, on Flickr

IMG_2961-Edit.jpg by ArtisticPretensions, on Flickr

IMG_2970.jpg by ArtisticPretensions, on Flickr

And one just for fun

IMG_2975.jpg by ArtisticPretensions, on Flickr

Fire away, I would really appreciate any critique/ego deflation

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Drop Database, in 2805 and 2804 where you did an outdoor tight crop headshot there's not enough separation between the foreground and background in your shots so the backgrounds end up being really distracting. It's like oh, there's some girl and... stairs? Having a smaller DoF or a light on the model would have helped. Also, I'm not really digging the posing. What is she looking at in 2805?

2881 is the best shot but the light is sort of... flat. And it's sort of awkward that she's in the center of a square crop with that pose she has. The pose suggests placing her toward the left and the bottom of the frame. Besides that square crops are sort of awkward for portraiture because people's proportions are more 3:2 than 1:1. I feel like you should photoshop her out of 2881 and put her in the bottom left of a 3:2 photo with a huge negative space (big blue sky or something) filling the middle/top/right.

2804 has a similar issue with placement. The way she's posed she'd be more at home toward the top right so that she'd be looking at negative space in the bottom left.

But then again what the hell do I know.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

You're way too close to her on these. Unless you're doing it for effect, the perspective compression you get from being further away usually gives a more satisfying result.

http://stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/lensdistortion/strippage.htm

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012

Dren posted:

It's like oh, there's some girl and... stairs?
:doh: I didn't think this through enough, but you're right of course. The stairs made sense to me because I had processed a few photos (full-body ones) in a row with them, but I can see how it's confusing when you're only looking at one photo..
For completeness:

Dren posted:

... What is she looking at in 2805?
I actually asked her to look away slightly on purpose. I had something in mind about deliberately not engaging the viewer, and tried to process/retouch the photo to communicate this message. I'm guessing it doesn't work too well :)

Dren posted:

2881 is the best shot but the light is sort of... flat. And it's sort of awkward that she's in the center of a square crop with that pose she has. The pose suggests placing her toward the left and the bottom of the frame. Besides that square crops are sort of awkward for portraiture because people's proportions are more 3:2 than 1:1. I feel like you should photoshop her out of 2881 and put her in the bottom left of a 3:2 photo with a huge negative space (big blue sky or something) filling the middle/top/right.

I.. I don't know why I didn't see that until you pointed it out. It seems so obvious in retrospect...

I've re-cropped the photo. Better?

Dren posted:

2804 has a similar issue with placement. The way she's posed she'd be more at home toward the top right so that she'd be looking at negative space in the bottom left.
Same reasoning as 2805. Am I dead wrong on this? I get that when a picture communicates movement (even of gaze) there should be space for the viewer to move into, but I find something compelling about not being able to follow it as well..

But then again what the hell do I know :)

David Pratt posted:

You're way too close to her on these. Unless you're doing it for effect, the perspective compression you get from being further away usually gives a more satisfying result.

http://stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/lensdistortion/strippage.htm

I did it for effect in one of them - 2961! I even cropped slightly closer to her face to get a bit more creepiness factor. But not in the other one..
Both shots were taken at 50/55mm (crop sensor). What would be a better or more flattering length/distance for a shot like that, in your opinion?

Thanks for the quick and helpful feedback, I really appreciate it!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Randoms from a promo session:

Real T@lk by TomOlson, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

RangerScum posted:

Randoms from a promo session:

I like the lighting but feel it would be stronger if you had a bit more light on his left (camera right) eye. And if you are going for the super crisp, clean look you could clone out some of the bits of fluff on his jacket.

Cool shots though, what was your setup? I see the key light camera left and a hair light over his left shoulder?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

deaders posted:

I like the lighting but feel it would be stronger if you had a bit more light on his left (camera right) eye. And if you are going for the super crisp, clean look you could clone out some of the bits of fluff on his jacket.

Cool shots though, what was your setup? I see the key light camera left and a hair light over his left shoulder?

Thanks and good points. I will see about evening up the lighting on the face later.

I had 3 B800s, two were behind the model lighting the backdrop and I had one out front in a softbox. I wish I had something to isolate the back lights to the background only but with my budget and time constraints that wasn't really something I could do- the studio didn't have anything on hand for that.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Drop Database posted:

:doh: I didn't think this through enough, but you're right of course. The stairs made sense to me because I had processed a few photos (full-body ones) in a row with them, but I can see how it's confusing when you're only looking at one photo..
For completeness:

I actually asked her to look away slightly on purpose. I had something in mind about deliberately not engaging the viewer, and tried to process/retouch the photo to communicate this message. I'm guessing it doesn't work too well :)

I.. I don't know why I didn't see that until you pointed it out. It seems so obvious in retrospect...

I've re-cropped the photo. Better?

Same reasoning as 2805. Am I dead wrong on this? I get that when a picture communicates movement (even of gaze) there should be space for the viewer to move into, but I find something compelling about not being able to follow it as well..

But then again what the hell do I know :)

I did it for effect in one of them - 2961! I even cropped slightly closer to her face to get a bit more creepiness factor. But not in the other one..
Both shots were taken at 50/55mm (crop sensor). What would be a better or more flattering length/distance for a shot like that, in your opinion?

Thanks for the quick and helpful feedback, I really appreciate it!

I like those first two stairs pictures probably the best out of anything you posted. Face is a little dark in the one where she's looking down, maybe you could dodge it a bit. The crop of 2881 works better for me. And on negative space, it's a personal decision what to do with negative space and there are no right or wrong answers but it's not working for me in 2804. I think it's something about the setting and the dress... there's nothing discordant about a floral print dress in the middle of the day. I guess what I'm saying is that the setting, the dress, and even her smile don't really work with the ideas of awkwardness and uncomfortableness that off camera looks and unbalanced negative space create. It ends up looking like an outtake or something, as if you grabbed a test frame while the model's attention was diverted. So to me it looks more like a mistake but such is the danger of breaking the "rules".

RangerScum posted:

Thanks and good points. I will see about evening up the lighting on the face later.

I had 3 B800s, two were behind the model lighting the backdrop and I had one out front in a softbox. I wish I had something to isolate the back lights to the background only but with my budget and time constraints that wasn't really something I could do- the studio didn't have anything on hand for that.

I think you could've gone with on-axis lighting for your key rather than camera left. Or, if you weren't committed to using two lights on the backdrop, you could've tried to light the backdrop on-axis and freed up a second light for fill. Above the backdrop and pointed straight down could have worked. You could also have tried to put the backdrop light on the floor behind him since the shots you showed were all upper body.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Drop Database posted:

It's not really about focal length, it's about being far enough away so that there isn't any distortion of features. A longer focal length will help you do that while keeping the subject the same size.

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012

Dren posted:

I like those first two stairs pictures probably the best out of anything you posted.
Thanks! There are a lot more in the same vein, some more technically correct than others, but they aren't the ones I liked best out of the shoot.

Dren posted:

And on negative space, it's a personal decision what to do with negative space and there are no right or wrong answers but it's not working for me in 2804. I think it's something about the setting and the dress... there's nothing discordant about a floral print dress in the middle of the day. I guess what I'm saying is that the setting, the dress, and even her smile don't really work with the ideas of awkwardness and uncomfortableness that off camera looks and unbalanced negative space create. It ends up looking like an outtake or something, as if you grabbed a test frame while the model's attention was diverted. So to me it looks more like a mistake but such is the danger of breaking the "rules".

I hear you. I need to make sure that the elements of the photo converge more obviously on the "story" I'm trying to tell with the photo in order to communicate it better when it's something that isn't intuitive. I've got another shoot coming up soon; hopefully I come up with a photo or two which comes together better...

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Dren posted:

I think you could've gone with on-axis lighting for your key rather than camera left. Or, if you weren't committed to using two lights on the backdrop, you could've tried to light the backdrop on-axis and freed up a second light for fill. Above the backdrop and pointed straight down could have worked. You could also have tried to put the backdrop light on the floor behind him since the shots you showed were all upper body.

I did shoot with the main fill dead-on for most of the shoot, I just moved it around from time to time depending on how he was standing. As for the back lights, most of the shots were actually full-body so I had to keep them off to the side out of frame. Those are good things to keep in mind though, next time I will put in a little more effort and rearrange things if I'm getting in close to the subject.

Oh and one other note, the subject was tall as gently caress and lighting him on access without getting major reflections was a major PITA. :(

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Hello is anyone feeling this? (please click through and full screen it)

Untitled by Gareth Dutton Photography, on Flickr

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gazmachine posted:

She looks like she's being forced to marry the evil prince at the start of the final act.

Overall mood: resigned to her fate.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Excellent, I was hoping that came across. It's a shot from a usual bread and butter session that I wanted to turn more into a portrait or something vaguely interesting. I've tried to mute the tones to fit it. I didn't pick it for the client's selection but I liked it for other, non profitable reasons.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Gazmachine posted:

I like it, I'm pretty sure she won't print it (if it was taken for her wedding) but I like the vibe, she seems vulnerable (hope that's what you were going for!)

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Yep, yep, indeed it was. It wasn't a wedding, it was a hair and makeup course and this was the bridal look :)

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Quick question: I'm planning for a session in a month or so where the subjects wish to obscure their faces. I'd really rather avoid robes and hoods since it's generally an aesthetic I find cliched within the sphere of both the subject's art, and the atmosphere the shoot will employ. To that end, does anyone have any experience with using flour/baby talc/powdered pigment in portraits, and will a handful or so of the above, thrown into the air, be enough to obscure a face if between the subject and the lens?

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
Not really... the powder either clumps, doesn't separate and eventually hits the ground in a wad and/or the powder does separate but the cloud is too diffuse to block all the light.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Try some starch. It tends to hang in the air a bit and if you light it from behind the backscatter will obscure stuff a bit. Try both a pressurized can of spray starch and a non-pressurized one, I'm not sure which works better.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
I took some pictures of a co-worker and a few of them I really ended up liking.

AJK_3333 by SAFistLips, on Flickr

AJK_3329 by SAFistLips, on Flickr

Yes, she has hetereochromia or what it's called, and yes, I have some where she is smiling.

Edit: I just played with some sharpening from a tutorial I found on youtube and replaced the previous versions. Hope I didn't mess things up!

FistLips fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 7, 2013

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FistLips posted:

I took some pictures of a co-worker and a few of them I really ended up liking.

AJK_3333 by SAFistLips, on Flickr

AJK_3329 by SAFistLips, on Flickr

Yes, she has hetereochromia or what it's called, and yes, I have some where she is smiling.

I get why, especially if these are pictures for her rather than pictures of her, you wouldn't want to slam people in the face with her eyes. I'm sure it's something she's sick of talking about, even if she's not self-conscious about it. She's cute and it's neat, so I can't imagine, but you never know.

But just as an observer I kind of do want to be slammed with it. I somehow didn't even notice her eyes until you pointed it out. I feel like the the bottom pic could use more sharpness and maybe tighten in a bit. At least If I was trying to play it up. But it's also a pretty cool scarf, so they're both nice shots. It's just not every day you get such an interesting subject.

Though, I guess you work with her, so you probably could shoot her every day. Or if she's sensitive about it, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it even for myself.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

I definitely noticed the difference in eye colour immediately.

Top one is nice. I like the clean colours and crisp, wintry feel.

I would have preferred her in the centre. Rule of thirds can be important and powerful but make sure you're not just doing it for the sake of it. If she were looking into the empty space then the decision to have her to one side maybe would have felt more cohesive to the pose.

Again, rules can be broken and it's not WRONG, but I personally feel it would have been more direct and would hold my attention better.

With the bottom one, it's not that it needs more sharpness, it's that the focus is on the eyelashes and nose and has just missed the eyes unfortunately, which could be seen as a problem when the subject's eyes are even more of an important element in the frame than usual.

It doesn't particularly bother me but I presume you haven't done it on purpose.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Totally agree that that photo would be way stronger with her dead center, as is it's a bit awkward.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

deaders posted:

Totally agree that that photo would be way stronger with her dead center, as is it's a bit awkward.

The motion of the hood is moving camera right. Photo would be more balanced with her placed further camera left.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Thanks for your feedback, everyone - I agree with the centering, and just did that - better?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Yep, I think so.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I actually liked it way better the other way, but I probably don't know what I'm talking about. With her in the middle, you get less of a sense of where she is and the environment is made less important. I suppose that's probably the objective of portrait photography, but still; I think given the location, and the clothing, it's important.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

vote_no posted:

I actually liked it way better the other way, but I probably don't know what I'm talking about. With her in the middle, you get less of a sense of where she is and the environment is made less important. I suppose that's probably the objective of portrait photography, but still; I think given the location, and the clothing, it's important.

I half agree and half disagree. As was pointed out, the crop partially took away from what the spectator is interested in - her different looking eyes. Having read the feedback I got, I get what the others mean. It would maybe be like taking a picture of someone with crazy red hair and then having them in front of say, a huge waterfall, taking the attention away from the hair. Not a perfect analogy, but I hope it works :)

Now, I will probably take more pictures of her as we had fun, and maybe then I'll do something a bit different with regards to both posing and composition.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

FistLips posted:

I half agree and half disagree. As was pointed out, the crop partially took away from what the spectator is interested in - her different looking eyes. Having read the feedback I got, I get what the others mean. It would maybe be like taking a picture of someone with crazy red hair and then having them in front of say, a huge waterfall, taking the attention away from the hair. Not a perfect analogy, but I hope it works :)

Now, I will probably take more pictures of her as we had fun, and maybe then I'll do something a bit different with regards to both posing and composition.

Related to that, I guess I also like the idea of having her eyes be something you only notice on second glance.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
I did a Christmas photo shoot for a young family.

Window light to the right

DSCF2855.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Umbrella top right, bare strobe behind them pointed at the wall, window light left

DSCF2907.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Bonus terrifying giant old man

DSCF2976.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

David Pratt posted:

I did a Christmas photo shoot for a young family.

Window light to the right

DSCF2855.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Have you tried a square-ish crop getting the socked foot out of the shot on the bottom right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Spedman posted:

Have you tried a square-ish crop getting the socked foot out of the shot on the bottom right?

I did with some of the pictures from that setting (4:5), but I tried it with and without and preferred it in this one.