Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's probably one of my favourite little bits of background detail in the whole comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
I love that Kat is thrown off balance by Rey suddenly popping back to wolf form under her foot.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

In a shocking twist, this chapter will end with Kat finally locating Annie, only to find her mackin' on her own secret lover.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Red Bones posted:

In a shocking twist, this chapter will end with Kat finally locating Annie, only to find her mackin' on her own secret lover Paz.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I want to believe that the "pop" sound effect is the silliest, cartooniest popping sound.

Anyway I always love Kat and Rey just talkin' like pals, they're just so natural :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like that Reynardine is like the only person who uses her full name.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
You all do rereads far more often than I do. Is that behind-the-shoulder shot of Kat a first for that angle in this series? I like how it gives an air of uncertainty to a statement that would otherwise be read as fairly resolute. Yay for complicated feelings!

FezCactus
Jun 2, 2013

Butt dance, butt dance
Paz called her Katerina before. That's basically her full first name, just in spanish hehe. Well she use to anyway. Think since after Faraway she's been calling her Kat as well.

FezCactus fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 25, 2013

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
"Because I think she might have run away because she actually diDN'T-AND-SHE'S-RIGHT-BEHIND-YOU-AAAAAAAA"

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

FezCactus posted:

Paz called her Katerina before. That's basically her full first name, just in spanish hehe. Well she use to anyway. Think since after Faraway she's been calling her Kat as well.

That's basically her full name anywhere, seeing as it's Slavic.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

That's basically her full name anywhere, seeing as it's Slavic.

I had no idea! Donlan is a Slavic last name? Or is it through her mother (who's last name I forget)?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

VanSandman posted:

I had no idea! Donlan is a Slavic last name? Or is it through her mother (who's last name I forget)?

Her mother's first name is Anja iirc, which is also Slavic. Her maiden name would help, but that's never mentioned anywhere.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

VanSandman posted:

Donlan's an Anglicized Gaelic name which means "son/male descendant of Domnhall".

Donald son of Donald

\/ Her mother Rasām̐jana would have approved (if she weren't loving dead) :colbert:

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 25, 2013

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Remember the time I mentioned that Antimony's mother's maiden name was Stibnite, an antimony-rich ore? I just realized that her first name also means antimony. Surma is antimony in Russian.

Lady, your name is Antimony Antimony-ore, and you named your daughter Antimony? :cripes:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Dr Subterfuge posted:

You all do rereads far more often than I do. Is that behind-the-shoulder shot of Kat a first for that angle in this series? I like how it gives an air of uncertainty to a statement that would otherwise be read as fairly resolute. Yay for complicated feelings!

Nope.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lady, your name is Antimony Antimony-ore, and you named your daughter Antimony? :cripes:

They take themed names very seriously in her family. Just ask her grandmother Estibina Mesdemet, or her great-grandma Thi Stibine, or her great-great-grandma Antimoon Spetsglans, or ...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I like that Reynardine is like the only person who uses her full name.
Reynardine calls everyone by their full name in Wolf Form. Fluffy Form is for casual, short names and I think he calls her "Kat" somwehere when in that form.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Her mother's first name is Anja iirc, which is also Slavic. Her maiden name would help, but that's never mentioned anywhere.

I was under the impression Kat's mom was Roma. Do they use Slavic names? I thought they had their own history of names.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Dr. Buttass posted:

I was under the impression Kat's mom was Roma. Do they use Slavic names? I thought they had their own history of names.

Roma in Russia (and I presume Slavic states in general) often use local names. She could be from pretty much anywhere as far as we know.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I always assumed Anja was Polish, though I may have been conflating her with Gamma.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Daktar posted:

I always assumed Anja was Polish, though I may have been conflating her with Gamma.

Maybe you were. Gamma's definitely Polish, and Tom has said that Anja is Romany, but I don't think that's ever come up in the comic.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Remember the time I mentioned that Antimony's mother's maiden name was Stibnite, an antimony-rich ore? I just realized that her first name also means antimony. Surma is antimony in Russian.

It's a fire elemental thing I bet. Pass down the soul pass down the name.

Also Marry someone with a similar themed name or something surrounding Ore/Rock (IE a Carver.)

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

MikeJF posted:

Maybe you were. Gamma's definitely Polish, and Tom has said that Anja is Romany, but I don't think that's ever come up in the comic.

Only once, when Renard called Kat a gypsy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I don't think it's ever been mentioned once, but I love that Reynardine is an avid reader. His room is awesome.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Thanks. I love how goofy perspective means emotional distress. It makes the beginning take on a completely new character.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

Alright guys, I'll send out totals tomorrow. Have everything put into labelled envelopes but I wanna get an estimate from the post office about shipping, as the Royal Mail is currently charging me £3.50 to send to the USA and £6.99 to send within the UK. Badge was £5, aitf books were £5, A5 envelopes, priceless. The dude who asked me for Vol 4, I didn't pick it up because I didn't want to carry it all around the fair and then all the way home again, but it's the same price on Amazon anyway.

So did Tom even have any canvases or original art at his booth this year?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Daktar posted:

Wait Kat's mom isn't Asian? I just assumed.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Well, Roma are originally from India, so technically... :goonsay:

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't think it's ever been mentioned once, but I love that Reynardine is an avid reader. His room is awesome.

"I have plenty of books to read." :shobon:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Why is it that Annie's cut from Jeanne still shows up in the etherium? Did Jeanne actually cut her soul or has the whole Jeanne situation affected Annie to the point where she can't let it go?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

razorrozar posted:

Why is it that Annie's cut from Jeanne still shows up in the etherium? Did Jeanne actually cut her soul or has the whole Jeanne situation affected Annie to the point where she can't let it go?

We haven't exactly had confirmation, but it's probably closer to the former. She had that cut in the ether for ages before she was even aware of it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I always read it as a "she's so powerful the wounds she inflicts can't heal" kind of thing. Like, once they manage to banish her Annie's ethereal scar could vanish. That's only my interpretation though.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I wonder what Jeanne vs. Ysengrin would have been like. Would Red and Red's friend have made it to the court if Jeanne had taken their lives rather than Ysengrin? :ohdear:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cruel and Unusual posted:

I wonder what Jeanne vs. Ysengrin would have been like.

Ysengrin would get wrecked. The guy's basically Worf.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Lurdiak posted:

Ysengrin would get wrecked. The guy's basically Worf.

Hey, all he'd need is for some kind Elemental to set him on fire! If that happened, then, well :getin:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MikeJF posted:

That's probably one of my favourite little bits of background detail in the whole comic.
Tom loves that sort of thing.

Tom's note at the bottom of the first link, and background in the second link.

"Dude's got a lot of time to kill."

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 27, 2013

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Ok Rey, you're off to a good start with the honest wisdom there, now follow it up with something comforting before Kat becomes totally miserable.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Reynard is this really the time to get on your humans-are-buttholes soapbox

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And now the turnaround for 'But Annie is, like, totally awesome'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Good work with this page, Tom. Approaching this subject matter without being preachy or overwrought is hard and you're pulling it off well so far. It's much more of a page about Kat and Rey doing CHARACTER STUFF, which I think is the right way/more entertaining thing to do. That being said, it's pretty dreadful to be told that you're going to be hated pretty hard for something that you just are, but I'm glad wolf-form Rey's the first person she talked to about it. Blunt wisdom seems to be the way to go here.

Also, it is normal, Kat. Sky's blue. Fire's hot. Some folk gay.