Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The issue at that particular place was that there was never really any interest in knowing what was going on in the world of IT - the IT directors word was taken at face value and no matter how bizarre this sounded the higher ups bought it. There was no effort to do any more investigation, it was a black box that they didn't want to get involved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

blackswordca posted:

:colbert: Its a VM, why didn't you just extend the drive
:aaa: the server needs to be shut down for that.

No it doesn't? :confused:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Caged posted:

The issue at that particular place was that there was never really any interest in knowing what was going on in the world of IT - the IT directors word was taken at face value and no matter how bizarre this sounded the higher ups bought it. There was no effort to do any more investigation, it was a black box that they didn't want to get involved in.

My god, this sounds like something out of the IT Crowd.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

blackswordca posted:

:aaa: the server needs to be shut down for that.

What version of Windows? This is only true for 2003 and earlier. 2008 you can extend the drive live.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

GreenNight posted:

What version of Windows? This is only true for 2003 and earlier. 2008 you can extend the drive live.

it is 03

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RadicalR posted:

My god, this sounds like something out of the IT Crowd.

Yeah it was a big reason for my decision to :frogout:

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Even in 2003, if memory serves you can still extend partitions when it's running, just not the system partition.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Those past two stories about the senior IT staff. Holy gently caress.

It's stories like these that I always imagine the computerverse is like Tron. It has little tiny buildings and digital beings running around. When general fuckups take over it isn't like a nuke going off. No, that would be painless, quick, leaving a desolate ye demolished area. Something to rebuild from. No, it is not like that, it is much worse. It's like all these tiny little digital citizens are happily going about there day when suddenly, something in the air seems wrong. Things start to glitch a little. Electronic clouds form.

Than the wave of change hits.

For no reason people start falling down dead. Entire buildings pick up off their foundations and fly to corners of the world they have never been. Areas where dark things inhabit. Areas where things just burst into flames for no reason. Little digital screams can be heard, either from the confusion and fear or simply because their bodies were torn in half by the wave.

Then the god of IT steps in. "Oops" he thinks.

Is he a gracious and caring god? Does he revert the world back and bring peace and harmony back to the electronic universe? Righting all the wrong he has done?

No, instead he enslaves large portions of the least hosed up world and forces them to work on clean up. Tiny digital beings suffering the long journey to the wasteland only to discover the atrocities that befell the once happy place. They look on with stone gazes, picking up rubble, attempting to salvage some bit of hope. Some work longingly and determined to never give up hope. They set up tents and other shelters. They provide roads for the rest of the world to work through or bypass the ruins that once were such that no one outside of the hellpit knows any wiser. But They do. They see it every waking moment they have to save another fallen victim to the ruins. They know that any minute the ruins can swallow anyone. Anything. They have lost all hope. Yet they work endlessly and with great fervor because their IT god commands them.

Because their almighty god, the one who gave them purpose and life, knows gently caress all about what he's doing.

edit: I think I just :smith:ed myself

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Scikar posted:

Even in 2003, if memory serves you can still extend partitions when it's running, just not the system partition.

yeah you are right. Just did it with Diskpart.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 22, 2013

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
An appointment went out, and the user missed it because he was delayed at a dental appointment. No big deal, I ask when he's free, don't hear back for a bit. Then I get this:

quote:

giddy up,
Hi AllTerrineVehicle,

come now, Im on tylenol 3's and might leave early as a result and apparently I'm saying inappropriate things, what could be more fun than that.

I will report back with my findings.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Great on-call week. Had to pull an all-nighter yesterday (got into bed 08:30 yesterday morning after 26 hours) after a mysterious intermittent fault took down PCs on a critical 24/7 site.

Brand spanking new cisco router decided to gently caress up its ARP table for no reason, throwing random computers off the network. To the network ops people it looked just like a reboot, and a reboot is what the users had to do to get it working again, so it took 8 people 5 drat hours to isolate it. Then we failed over to the seconday router, naturally found it didn't quite have the same config as the primary, spent three more hours hunting down the obscure forwarding logic and then babysat untill moring.

Yesterday network ops did the mother of all workarounds and enabled NIC2 on all the critical servers and plugged them into the client vlan directly to just bypass the troubled router... Except for those services that access off site servers ofc. Gonna be long weekend I suspect.

And then there's the category 1A-incident evaluation meeting on monday to look forward to.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Caged posted:

Everyone is acting like this is uncommon but it's at the root of incompetent IT troubles in lots of places. When the people making decisions don't understand the job, it should be no surprise when they aren't able to evaluate the performance of the people in it, and a lot of it devolves to who's good at playing politics and making nice.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

FISHMANPET posted:

When you're emotionally read for this I'd love to hear the details on this problem.

These three PC's are used to program and download data from HP iPaq handheld PDA's. They use special software to accomplish this.

One particular workstation, one particular network drop, after between 2-3 weeks, the machine will, all of a sudden, be unable to access company network shares.

If you try to disjoin and rejoin the computer to the domain, it fails, stating that it cannot find a domain controller. The domain controller(s) are pingable. Moving the machine to a different network drop or using WiFi to connect does not help.

One of the conditions that my boss thinks is contributing to these problems is the fact that Device Manager gets crudded up with phantom USB devices every time the machine is used to program/download data from a PDA. Ever since my most recent re-image of the machine, I've been visiting the machine and manually removing all of these "phantom" USB devices. Yesterday the machine decided it was unable to access network shares.

We spent $400 for a support session with Microsoft. A week later they escalated it to Tier 2, and the guy toggled an RX/TX setting of some sort in the advanced control panel for the NIC. This fix DOES NOT apply to a laptop that is having the same problem. Nor can it be applied to the other replacement computer (completely different hardware top to bottom) that I put in yesterday.

Really bizarre. Another symptom which usually leads to domain connection failure is, the machine will randomly throw itself into "YOU PIRATED WINDOWS!!" mode and I'll have to re-enter our MAK key. Right now, our MAK key that was 1/50 a month ago is now 27/50, primarily from activating and re-activating this same machine.

Soooo lame.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Maniaman posted:

I think the $660 price is for a 10-pack. If you're associated with a library or edu you should be able to get a hefty discount if you contact their sales team. You may also be able to get a single license if you contact them.

edit: The Standard version is around $45 for a single copy

Eeeexcellent. Saving me a lot of time and effort and saving my company my billable hours I would have spent hassling with open source equivalents!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

guppy posted:

Everyone is acting like this is uncommon but it's at the root of incompetent IT troubles in lots of places. When the people making decisions don't understand the job, it should be no surprise when they aren't able to evaluate the performance of the people in it, and a lot of it devolves to who's good at playing politics and making nice.

I was going to question whether this was incredibly common and the reason why IT in most places is utter poo poo, you've hit the nail on the head.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Erwin posted:

No it doesn't? :confused:

It does if you host all your shares off C: :smugdog:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

Thank you. I showed the demo to the CEO who immediately wanted it. That makes my job easier.

Anything to not have to be the person tasked with running cables in the new boardroom having had no chance of providing input into the furniture purchased.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

drukqs posted:

One of the conditions that my boss thinks is contributing to these problems is the fact that Device Manager gets crudded up with phantom USB devices every time the machine is used to program/download data from a PDA.

Is it a USB to Serial controller? I have a PC used to test hundreds of USB devices. It would crud up device manager also. I found the FTDI chip they use has a registry key you can add to ensure it uses the same device for every like-model of device. PDF Link

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

It does if you host all your shares off C: :smugdog:

Use Dell's extpart. :eng101:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Who do I have to kill at Intel to get this commercial off the air?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JLM5YullGo

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Mustache Ride posted:

Who do I have to kill at Intel to get this commercial off the air?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JLM5YullGo

Aaaaaaaaaaagh this is basically a war crime

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Find out who was responsible for that ad.

Throw coffee on him.

Tell him that you want a new ad.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It's almost like Intel's marketing department is trolling the entire IT workforce...

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
I think some jerk in marketing thought, "this is so outrageous that people would never think to do that". Meanwhile everyone in IT realizes they just made an instructional video for assholes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I share the horror, but lookit, it's not like those people needed the video to teach them. They've been doing that poo poo for years.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

guppy posted:

I share the horror, but lookit, it's not like those people needed the video to teach them. They've been doing that poo poo for years.

This just encourages it, or suggests it to people who never considered that it could be a viable strategy. There's neither tongue nor cheek in this video, which suggests to people that it's OK.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Volmarias posted:

This just encourages it, or suggests it to people who never considered that it could be a viable strategy. There's neither tongue nor cheek in this video, which suggests to people that it's OK.

This. I'm really glad I don't work in desktop support knowing that this commercial is out there.

Though any desktop support person worth their wages has a stack of barely-serviceable shitboxes waiting for assholes like this.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Had one guy try that trick on me during his probationary period with his crappy 8310 Blackberry. He then had to work with a 7200 for three months, that cured that habit pretty quickly I suppose :D

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Volmarias posted:

Nah, I am not sure I agree with you. I bet every single person who's been in that situation (new guy gets a shinier toy) has considered one of two strategies:

1) break the old one and ask for a new replacement
2) bitch and moan and whine to the IT dept, get a senior boss involved, until they are given a new one.

Personally, I'd say encouraging them to do 1 instead of 2 is an advantage.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I always assign the worst piece of poo poo I have in the shop to people who "Spill coffee on things".

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So a ticket came in:

"Hi Blackswordca, this is <fellow tier1 agent> on the support team. I was told you are our expert on WSUS and WDS, so you need to deal with this two week old ticket. It is time sensitive so needs to be worked on and fixed ASAP"

Ive setup one WDS server and played around with it to get it mostly working on PXE.. I installed the WSUS again last week on the client I support but haven't done much with it. I guess that makes me a subject matter expert? Ive listened to a couple of Neil Degrasse-Tyson's radio shows so I must be an expert in Astrophysics too.

I look at the ticket to see what the problem is and this is the description. "Microsoft says that WSUS is causing printers to be dropped from users profiles. Please fix ASAP. - Client"

:cripes:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

"Microsoft is incorrect" Ticket closed.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
"Can't fix Microsoft's opinion on printer problems."

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

blackswordca posted:

I look at the ticket to see what the problem is and this is the description. "Microsoft says that WSUS is causing printers to be dropped from users profiles. Please fix ASAP. - Client"

:cripes:

You just laughed right in their face, right? I don't think I've ever seen something so far fetched as this in quite some time.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Helushune posted:

You just laughed right in their face, right? I don't think I've ever seen something so far fetched as this in quite some time.

Pretty much.

I checked their WSUS anyways, looks like nobody has approved updates in over a year. This client isn't on a contract so there is no preventative maintenance. Ive been looking into other causes for the printers dropping for everyone. Nothing odd in GPO appears to be causing it, though there are two separate policies regarding WSUS that conflict. Ill be disabling one of them. They only have the one printer so I will probably add a GPO for printer mapping and call it a day.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

blackswordca posted:

Pretty much.

I checked their WSUS anyways, looks like nobody has approved updates in over a year. This client isn't on a contract so there is no preventative maintenance. Ive been looking into other causes for the printers dropping for everyone. Nothing odd in GPO appears to be causing it, though there are two separate policies regarding WSUS that conflict. Ill be disabling one of them. They only have the one printer so I will probably add a GPO for printer mapping and call it a day.

The thing that comes to my mind, if they're using roaming profiles, is that their ntuser.dat has become corrupt and they're all logging in with temporary profiles. Or, you know, roaming profiles are doing their thing and printers set up for one user don't carry over to the next. You could also set something up using group policy to force the printers but that would require :effort: for a client that sounds like they're calling you up just because they can.

Things pissing me off today: Windows 8's Hyper-V manager being unable to connect to servers running 2008r2. Does anyone have a utility they like for this kind of thing? I just moved my workstation over to 8.1 Enterprise without knowing this limitation and most of our Hyper-V hosts are still running 2008r2. That'll show me for leaping before I look.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Dont you love regular 'my pc hasnt been working for days, this is affecting production!!!' calls after some other it department depatched it? I seriously love working along an outside company with infrastructure access...

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Easy ticket today: Install Scratch on mobile lab(s). It's a simple tile-based programming environment for kids.

I unfreeze the first lab, and get the software installed inside of an hour. Then I figure, "Hey, these have been frozen and haven't been updated in a while, and Adobe & Java are pestering for updates. Might as well do all that poo poo while they're unfrozen and logged in."

Ninite works fine, albeit slowly as 26 netbooks churn through the update list. Then come the Windows Updates. I'm not sure our rebuilt SCCM server is even pushing updates at all, but a manual check on the server either comes back with an error or no updates, so, out to the web. First, I have to log in with the bypass account on the Barracuda web filter--even techs aren't allowed to go to 'download' sites with their own account.
First four go fine. 65 updates. Start a batch of 6 downloading as the first four start installing. Three fail silently after a 20 minutes because Barracuda's decided to reauthorize and use my account instead of the bypass. Two more fail after a few more updates get downloaded. Once Win7 can't access Windows Update for long enough, it just installs whatever it downloaded, which means I wind up having to reboot those machines early, sign back in, use my bypass, and run updates again. This continues the next 6 hours over the remaining netbooks. Machines randomly getting bumped off bypass even though they're sitting 6' away from an $700 WAP with no obstructions. Downloads occasionally take far longer they should. Having to wait for Windows to install 17 updates of the 65 queued because it got bumped off and it taking 90 minutes because a third of those 17 updates were .NET patches that take 25 minutes apiece to install for some godforsaken reason, then rebooting and starting the update process again.

Four more labs to update. :sigh:

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Easy ticket today: Install Scratch on mobile lab(s). It's a simple tile-based programming environment for kids.

I unfreeze the first lab, and get the software installed inside of an hour. Then I figure, "Hey, these have been frozen and haven't been updated in a while, and Adobe & Java are pestering for updates. Might as well do all that poo poo while they're unfrozen and logged in."

Ninite works fine, albeit slowly as 26 netbooks churn through the update list. Then come the Windows Updates. I'm not sure our rebuilt SCCM server is even pushing updates at all, but a manual check on the server either comes back with an error or no updates, so, out to the web. First, I have to log in with the bypass account on the Barracuda web filter--even techs aren't allowed to go to 'download' sites with their own account.
First four go fine. 65 updates. Start a batch of 6 downloading as the first four start installing. Three fail silently after a 20 minutes because Barracuda's decided to reauthorize and use my account instead of the bypass. Two more fail after a few more updates get downloaded. Once Win7 can't access Windows Update for long enough, it just installs whatever it downloaded, which means I wind up having to reboot those machines early, sign back in, use my bypass, and run updates again. This continues the next 6 hours over the remaining netbooks. Machines randomly getting bumped off bypass even though they're sitting 6' away from an $700 WAP with no obstructions. Downloads occasionally take far longer they should. Having to wait for Windows to install 17 updates of the 65 queued because it got bumped off and it taking 90 minutes because a third of those 17 updates were .NET patches that take 25 minutes apiece to install for some godforsaken reason, then rebooting and starting the update process again.

Four more labs to update. :sigh:

Cant you just image one and clone it to the rest of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Win 8 OEM PCs came in!

Oh God please tell me there's a way to apply my Win7 MDT image and somehow get it registered!

• Locked thread