Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

3-piece airlocks or s-locks?

Discuss.

Blowof hose / 3-piece (I find it is less likely to run dry) if I filled the demijohn up past a point or I know its going to be a crazy ferment, everything else s-locks for me. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
If you have a cat then 3 piece airlocks turn into 2 or 1 piece airlocks very quickly.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
While I like the 3 piece option because you can plug it in and run the blowoff from the stem of the 3 piece, then switch over to a regular 3 piece arrangement when it's calmed down, I have never actually successfully done that because no matter how well I lube up the stem/tubing it always sticks and I end up cracking the plastic when I try to pull off the tubing.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Double batch tonight! 40lbs of honey turned into 11 gallons of base must. After primary I'll be putting half in a carboy on oranges with some lemon and half on some tart cherries.

EDIT FOR MY OWN USE: OG 1.129

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 23, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

fullroundaction posted:

If you have a cat then 3 piece airlocks turn into 2 or 1 piece airlocks very quickly.

I have 5 cats and I've never had them gently caress with one, actually.

(note: do not get 5 cats)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I have 5 cats and I've never had them gently caress with one, actually.

(note: do not get 5 cats)

I have 3. One is psychotic and pushing 19 years old. 5 would be a nightmare.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I have 3. One is psychotic and pushing 19 years old. 5 would be a nightmare.

My wife won't stop. She just picks them up of the street. Literally.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
3-piece seems to me more able to prevent water/alcohol from being sucked into the carboy in the event of a temp drop.
1 piece are prettier to look at and seem to let more gas escape since the pressure doesn't have to lift a plastic piece AND water.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
I used the S-style back when I first started, but found them too hard to clean, so I switched to the three-piece. I seem to recall that the s ones were a more reliable gauge of whether fermentation was still going on or not though...maybe I should pick some up for my secondaries.

Anyone have any advice on removing labels from bottles? I had forgotten how much of a pain in the rear end it was, so now I have like 60 that need the labels removed, and I really don't remember how I used to do it. I'm just going to go back to buying bottles by the case after this...or kegging...I MISS KEGS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

BLARGHLE posted:

Anyone have any advice on removing labels from bottles? I had forgotten how much of a pain in the rear end it was, so now I have like 60 that need the labels removed, and I really don't remember how I used to do it. I'm just going to go back to buying bottles by the case after this...or kegging...I MISS KEGS!!!!!!!!!!!

Mix up a big bucket of PBW/Oxyclean and soak overnight. I've found that the really glossy type labels never come off cleanly so skip those and go for bottles with more papery ones.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Thufir posted:

Mix up a big bucket of PBW/Oxyclean and soak overnight. I've found that the really glossy type labels never come off cleanly so skip those and go for bottles with more papery ones.

Yeah, I've already found that Redhook and a few others are much easier to de-label than the Williamsburg Alewerks or Harvest, and I definitely remembered not to bother with Sam Adams. I had just been soaking them in some random cleaner stuff, but I have tons of oxyclean laying around, so I'll do that.

In the past I had a group of people to work on this for me while I did other things! Now it's all just me, and I have no time for anything...I need to find myself another helper or something.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

With hot Oxy and most paper/glue labels, overnight is way overkill, 15 minutes will do usually.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

more falafel please posted:

With hot Oxy and most paper/glue labels, overnight is way overkill, 15 minutes will do usually.

I don't even use oxy clean, I just soak them in the sink for a few minutes in hot water then peel and scrub the glue off. Takes me a few minutes

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The secret to getting some really stubborn labels off is to just peel them in one huge piece. Alpine labels will come off if you just pull a side off and then slowly pull it across. You can then attach the label to your beer fridge :v:

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
If I remember correctly, Sam Adams bottles peel really easy.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I just soak in pbw for like 4 days and everything comes off super cleanly eventually

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

ChickenArise posted:

I put my first bottle-carbed bottle from my first batch of lambic (brewed early Sept. 2012) into the fridge this morning. Here's hoping that 13 days was enough to carbonate, because I've only got 9 bottles of this right now. :ohdear:

It is not enough. It is only enough time for more weird brett off flavors that had previously aged out to somehow resurface.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Charlie P had a thing in the Homebrewers companion about cleaning bottles. Just soak them in bleach water for however long, peel labels, rinse them out and put some foil over the tops to keep them from getting dusty in storage. I have done this a few times in a clean bathtub, and it seems to work pretty well. It's nice to have clean bottles ready for sanitizing on bottling day.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
Just tested all of my fermenting beers, only to find that they're all higher gravity that I had hoped.

In fact, my apple pie cider has somehow gotten denser since it got stuck and restarted! It's been three weeks since I pitched more yeast and restarted fermentation, and it's now apparently .5% lower alcohol than it was...what the gently caress...I guess the heat being off until yesterday(and basement temp dropping to upper 40s/lower 50s, and then back up to 60s, and back down, and so on and so forth) kinda hosed everything up.

On the up-side, my brown ale tastes really good, if still a little sweet, and my ESB should be about ready to bottle. I'm just tired of having this batch of cider using up valuable fermenting space...it's been going since the middle of september! Blargh...now that the heat is on and the temp is stable again, maybe I'll try another big starter to get things finished off...come on, 20%! :argh:

Oh, and the applejack turned out...well, not like awful garbage, which is really better than I was expecting. It did manage to leave a lot of the horribleness of the original batches behind, but would probably benefit from some aging that didn't involve random mason jars(or at least without me opening and pouring drinks from them periodically). I'm definitely going to convert more of this garbage-cider in the near future, and try to be more diligent about proper aging.

Edit: Also, I did finally get around to getting the labels off a bunch of bottles this evening, and the oxyclean soak really made things easier.

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 24, 2013

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My latest Tripel recipe appears to have finished at 1.000 despite my best efforts (mashing high, measuring my slurry, keeping fermentation temps cool and stable). 3787 you 3rd generation bastard!

Tastes pretty awesome, even young, hot, and flat (edit: holy poo poo did I just write that?). I'll be using this recipe again in the future with some spice/fruit, Karmeliet style.

http://brewtoad.com/recipes/tripel-125

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 24, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Well it appears 24 pounds of grain is just about the maximum you can fit in a 10 gallon cooler. :stare:

I had to mash in a bit thick even; 1.1 lb/qt.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
That jibes with my experience also - I top out at about 35-6 pounds in my 15-gallon tun.

Speaking of which, I need to get brewing again now that the recent term is over. I think first up will be a Belma XPA just because.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

As cold as it was I brewed today: vienna/munich/oatmeal base split two different ways (dutch castle oud bruin?/dark saison w/ brett on currants), and an hibiscus metheglin. A bunch of other stuff fermenting right now...

primary: sour with ECY20, farmhouse ale/saison w/ brett
secondary: sour cider, imperial oud bruin, wit, saison noel

I think I'm tapped out now until 2014, I have no available vessels and won't be able to keg this much beer for a loooong time.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

BLARGHLE posted:

Just tested all of my fermenting beers, only to find that they're all higher gravity that I had hoped.

In fact, my apple pie cider has somehow gotten denser since it got stuck and restarted! It's been three weeks since I pitched more yeast and restarted fermentation, and it's now apparently .5% lower alcohol than it was...what the gently caress...I guess the heat being off until yesterday(and basement temp dropping to upper 40s/lower 50s, and then back up to 60s, and back down, and so on and so forth) kinda hosed everything up.

You just have to make sure you are measuring at 60f all the time and/or adjusting for temperature differences. As well as your hydrometer is reading accurately.

hellfaucet posted:

I think I'm tapped out now until 2014, I have no available vessels and won't be able to keg this much beer for a loooong time.

Don't lie to yourself. Also, give me your beers, my face requires them.

Brew day Tuesday - thinking of doing v2 of my 'house' beer. Tempted to do splits (again) this time doing 1gal as a braggot, and another with ~2#s of pomegranate. Thoughts?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

Well it appears 24 pounds of grain is just about the maximum you can fit in a 10 gallon cooler. :stare:

I had to mash in a bit thick even; 1.1 lb/qt.

Yep, that's pretty much spot on.

On a completely unrelated note, I am brewing nothing but doppelbocks from now on. The one I brewed back in September is finally starting to come together and dear lord it is incredible (despite getting the worst efficiency I've ever gotten). I can't stop smelling my empty glass.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I put that much grain in because I assumed I'd take an efficiency hit. I'm not really sure whether I did or not. I used my better bottle for the first time, but I'm like 90% sure I have closer to 6 gallons of beer than 5. The estimated OG was 1.110, but I didn't really think I would get there, but 1.092 seemed a shade less efficient than even I was expecting. Obviously not a tremendous deal.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Angry Grimace posted:

I put that much grain in because I assumed I'd take an efficiency hit. I'm not really sure whether I did or not. I used my better bottle for the first time, but I'm like 90% sure I have closer to 6 gallons of beer than 5. The estimated OG was 1.110, but I didn't really think I would get there, but 1.092 seemed a shade less efficient than even I was expecting. Obviously not a tremendous deal.

You actually hit your gravity - 6 gallons of 1.096 beer is 1.115 beer if you'd boiled down to 5 gallons!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Jacobey000 posted:

You just have to make sure you are measuring at 60f all the time and/or adjusting for temperature differences. As well as your hydrometer is reading accurately.

Yeah, I'm adjusting for temperature...don't really know how to figure out if my hydrometer is accurate other than sticking it in some water, but our tap water is very sedimenty, so that might throw off measurements as well.

What would be the best way to do a starter for something that is already so high in alcohol? My girlfriend just picked up a bunch of brown and white sugar for making pies, and I was thinking I might commandeer some of that to try to replicate the conditions in the fermenter...or maybe I'll just let it continue to slowly putter along for another month or whatever before saying gently caress it and bottling as is...

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

BLARGHLE posted:

What would be the best way to do a starter for something that is already so high in alcohol? My girlfriend just picked up a bunch of brown and white sugar for making pies, and I was thinking I might commandeer some of that to try to replicate the conditions in the fermenter...or maybe I'll just let it continue to slowly putter along for another month or whatever before saying gently caress it and bottling as is...

Definitely don't use sugar for your starters (ever). Your goal with a starter is to create a ton of fresh, healthy yeasties that are ready to devour wort-sugars. Feeding them simple/processed sugars only prepares them to eat simple/processed sugars and since they lack vital nutrients you won't be creating an ideal environment for reproduction.

TLDR keep your starters malt only and around 1.040 OG. Win your highgrav wars with massive cell quantity.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 25, 2013

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

fullroundaction posted:

Definitely don't use sugar for your starters (ever). Your goal with a starter is to create a ton of fresh, healthy yeasties that are ready to devour wort-sugars. Feeding them simple/processed sugars only prepares them to eat simple/processed sugars and since they lack vital nutrients you won't be creating an ideal environment for reproduction.

TLDR keep your starters malt only and around 1.040 OG. Win your highgrav wars with massive cell quantity.

Well, since it's a cider full of simple/processed sugars, I don't see how preparing them to eat simple/processed sugars would be such a bad thing. When doing starters for ciders I've always just used apple juice and yeast nutrient, no malt anything. Is there any way to get a large enough cell quantity to make a difference without diluting the hell out of what is already in the fermenter? Although I seem to recall the straight apple juice being like 1.050 or something, so what I'd be adding would be right around the current gravity of the cider...but then how would that affect my measurements? I'd obviously be diluting the alcohol content by putting in a bunch of extra partially-fermented juice, but it might still read the same on the hydrometer, and my readings might already be hosed up from my last attempt at restarting it, and :psyboom:

Maybe I'm over-thinking this and should just leave it alone and let it ferment out as much as it will on its own.

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 25, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So.

My mead came out FANTASTIC. Had a few friends over and everyone really enjoyed it. We only drank half of the gallon though because they brought 4 bottles of wine as well. A Good Night.

My cider though....well, it tasted completely non-alcoholic, but it had a yeast cake on the bottom. I can't find my loving hydrometer so I can't measure it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Reminder!

:ohdear: Homebrew secret santa signups close on Thanksgiving! :ohdear:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Son of a dog turd I was at the HBS and forgot to nab something for the SS. which would sound really bad out of context.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm really looking forward to this year's SS. Last year's gift opened me up to the wonders of Belgians and introduced me to HBC 342.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Refractometer question:

My refractometer reads 1.003 on my tap water and 1.000 on water I collected off the top of the lid of a pot (that's like distilled water right). Which one do I calibrate it to if I'm using the tap water to brew?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I hope I don't disappoint in the secret santa :ohdear:

I also finally am trying my half cider half honey wheat beer based on the recipe from Basic Brewing. Mmmmmm so drinkable, so apple-y.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

BLARGHLE posted:

Well, since it's a cider full of simple/processed sugars, I don't see how preparing them to eat simple/processed sugars would be such a bad thing. When doing starters for ciders I've always just used apple juice and yeast nutrient, no malt anything.

I wasn't aware of the context of your post, but either way don't do that for the reasons I listed (this is not an opinion, and I mean that nicely) :buddy:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

BLARGHLE posted:

Deschutes makes the easiest-removing labels I have found. They come off in just a hot water soak and if you add a bit of oxyclean you are home free. Also their bottles are a bit thicker, I weighed them and found they weigh more than Sierra Nevada and some other bottles. Also you get the benefit of drinking awesome beer from Deschutes, such as Red Chair, while you are collecting bottles.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

BLARGHLE posted:

Soak in water with oxy, scrub with steel wool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

Deschutes makes the easiest-removing labels I have found. They come off in just a hot water soak and if you add a bit of oxyclean you are home free. Also their bottles are a bit thicker, I weighed them and found they weigh more than Sierra Nevada and some other bottles. Also you get the benefit of drinking awesome beer from Deschutes, such as Red Chair, while you are collecting bottles.

I can't recommend these enough. Deschutes labels practically fall off, the bottles have no brand-identifying stamps or molded in processes, and the older bottles had a nice ring of hop vines at the base of the neck. Plus as mentioned previously, you get to drink deschutes beer to get empty bottles! I prefer Chainbreaker, personally, but to each their own.