Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

keyvin posted:

I don't think its a small minority. Backwards compatibility was a big factor in my choice as well. Even if games are fewer and further between than on xbone and ps4, I can fill in some time with a wii title I got for under $20.
I was just guessing that the vast majority of prospective Wii U buyers would already have owned a Wii before, unlike (apparently) us two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Just adding in that backwards compatibility was a big factor in my Wii U purchase also. Was thinking about just getting a Wii before that.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hello, I'm a normal person who dosnt care about games. I own a Wii and an Xbox 360. Both of which I barely/never play. I had heard of the Wii U but I literally did not know it was its own "next gen" system until I was reading the thread to make fun of the new Xbox. I thought it was a useless tablet accessory for the normal Wii. That's how badly Nintendo marketed this thing. Now I kindof want to pick one up for the new Mario game. Is it compatible with all normal Wii games?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Barfoid 3 posted:

Is it compatible with all normal Wii games?

Yes. Please buy one.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

zenintrude posted:

Yes. Please buy one.

Nintendo executive spotted. :v:

As someone who bought a Wii-U for his family, no, don't get one unless you find it for a mark down of $250 or less. It's a buyer's market and even with more games out in the wild for U that are solid buys it still isn't worth the $350 price tag by a long shot. keep an eye out for sales at major outlets if you want one, and check amazon because there is usually someone dumping a deluxe model cheaply if you aren't gun-shy about buying used.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

zenintrude posted:

Yes. Please buy one.
He already has a Wii though. If I was in his place, I'd have to give some serious thought as to what I'd want to get a Wii U for, as I can think of only a single game out for the U right now that I want to play, that isn't for the Wii.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sweetgrass posted:

it still isn't worth the $350 price tag by a long shot.

The Wii U has been $300 (with a game!) for months now... also Best Buy will be offering a bundle (Wii U, Super Mario U, New Super Luigi U, Nintendo Land, and Mario or Luigi Wii Remote Plus) for $320 on Black Friday.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Can someone from the UK please explain to me why the Brits seem to shy away from Nintendo stuff more so than people from any other (major) region?

All my friends played Nintendo consoles like the N64, Gamecube, Game Boy Advance and DS. Some would have an Xbox of Xbox 360 as well, mostly for Halo.

Once the Wii came out, I kinda got bored of having only a couple of games released each year, with some of them being low quality or disappointing like Super Paper Mario and Twilight Princess, so I tried out the PlayStation consoles. After being curious about who the hell that new character they announced for Super Smash Bros. Brawl was, I played through the Metal Gear Solid games and bought a PS3 for MGS4.

I got a second-hand 3DS and a Wii U for a low price when HMV went into administration, but I don't really play them that often. Nintendo games never go down in price, so I mostly just rent their games.

E: I still keep my launch-day Wii around, because of its Gamecube backwards compatibility. There's far more good games for that system, including better versions of Mario Kart and Smash Bros. However, the Wii does have improved versions of Pikmin 1 & 2, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, and Resident Evil 4, but they still came out for the Gamecube originally.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 25, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Surlaw posted:

Maybe they should just sell Wii games digitally.

That would be pretty sweet. I think that would do it for me.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PrBacterio posted:

He already has a Wii though. If I was in his place, I'd have to give some serious thought as to what I'd want to get a Wii U for, as I can think of only a single game out for the U right now that I want to play, that isn't for the Wii.

I'm in this spot as well. To give myself even less incentive to buy one the game in question is the Zelda remake. Actually calling it a remake is much too generous. Re-release.

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
I'd say it falls somewhere in between remake and re-release.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

dataisplural posted:

I'd say it falls somewhere in between remake and re-release.

Wind Waker has a couple of quality of life improvements (boat items always being on the d-pad when using a boat, fast sail, etc) but I'd still call it a re-release. That's from a guy who doesn't care about graphics enough that I cannot tell the difference between WW and WW HD though, so that isn't a major selling point for me.

E: to clarify, I can tell them apart when side by side, but the visual style of the game does low-res very well with it's exaggerated expressions and no real need for fine detail. The lobster on his pajamas may be less pixelated, but nothing makes me go "wow this is a pretty game" that wasn't in the original version.

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
Yeah I guess you could define it either way depending on your preference. To me "re-release" smacks of nothing besides a lazy new paint job, and I think WWHD goes at least a little beyond that.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Heran Bago posted:

That would be pretty sweet. I think that would do it for me.

Wait but is Mario 3d world available for normal Wii?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's just me, but I think WWHD actually looks worse overall than the original because the new shaders and lighting they use mess with the flat look of the original and make it look more 3d and washed out. Sometimes Link looks like he's made out of plasticine rather than a cartoon character.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

keyvin posted:

I don't think its a small minority. Backwards compatibility was a big factor in my choice as well. Even if games are fewer and further between than on xbone and ps4, I can fill in some time with a wii title I got for under $20.

But I think it is a small minority. People aren't buying the consoles for the backwards compatibility. They are buying them for the new games that are coming out or will eventually come out. It's a neat feature to have but it wasn't like the sales of the PS3 or 360 just dropped off when they stopped supporting backwards compatible games.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I think WWHD actually looks worse overall than the original because the new shaders and lighting they use mess with the flat look of the original and make it look more 3d and washed out. Sometimes Link looks like he's made out of plasticine rather than a cartoon character.

Hmm, that example does seem kind of like a downgrade, but the rest of the WWHD footage I've seen looks just fine, maybe better than the original (the sailing especially). Is there an option to toggle between old/new shaders?

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Which is the new one

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Barfoid 3 posted:

Which is the new one

Seriously. All sarcasm aside, I can't figure out which one is which. :psyduck:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Like the original WW's graphics it looks better in motion but I can see that bugging some people.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ok I found out 3d world is not available on regular Wii so I will wait for the inevitable price plummet.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

mayodreams posted:

Seriously. All sarcasm aside, I can't figure out which one is which. :psyduck:

The one on the right is the old one.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Isn't this picture taken from at the start when you are in the shade? The whole game doesn't look that dark.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8494-Who-Won-The-Next-Gen-Launch

In this episode Jim loses his loving mind.
But at least he bashes the ouya.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

blackguy32 posted:

But I think it is a small minority. People aren't buying the consoles for the backwards compatibility. They are buying them for the new games that are coming out or will eventually come out. It's a neat feature to have but it wasn't like the sales of the PS3 or 360 just dropped off when they stopped supporting backwards compatible games.

Care to quantify your qualitative "small"?

Owning one might lead me to be biased, but I do not think the Wii U is headed for virtual boydom or even being dreamcasted. I think the console will do at least as well as the gamecube. Especially if Nintendo is capable of fixing their marketing issues. I would kill to know how many games Nintendo has to sell to make up for selling the console at a loss. I guess Nintendo was counting on Wii levels of success.

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.

Barfoid 3 posted:

Ok I found out 3d world is not available on regular Wii so I will wait for the inevitable price plummet.

Another example of the problem with the name "Wii U". Consumers just don't know that it's a brand new console.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Long John Power posted:

Isn't this picture taken from at the start when you are in the shade? The whole game doesn't look that dark.

Thank god. The entire appeal of that game to me is how vibrant it looked, if the re-release looked like that the whole time I'd return it.

Barfoid 3 posted:

Expect it to lose $20 in value at most. Maybe this system is different, but most first-party Wii games stuck at $40 for years at most stores here.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

keyvin posted:

Care to quantify your qualitative "small"?

Owning one might lead me to be biased, but I do not think the Wii U is headed for virtual boydom or even being dreamcasted. I think the console will do at least as well as the gamecube. Especially if Nintendo is capable of fixing their marketing issues. I would kill to know how many games Nintendo has to sell to make up for selling the console at a loss. I guess Nintendo was counting on Wii levels of success.

Wii U's sales are going to have to pick up bigtime to hit Cube numbers. Bigtime.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Al Borland posted:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8494-Who-Won-The-Next-Gen-Launch

In this episode Jim loses his loving mind.
But at least he bashes the ouya.
He makes no bones about the Wii U's destiny as a complete flop. It's just that the Wii U offers something different from the competition with the gamepad, and actually has a decent stable of games compared to its competitors (so long as Mario & co. still appeal to you).

The issue is a year from now, when the PS4 and Xbox get a bunch of titles with the Wii U getting maybe 3-4 titles that will be good (Donkey, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., and Bayonetta 2?).

The Wii U isn't a bad purchase if you like the games. The problem is that if you aren't super keen on every title then the system quickly starts losing its appeal.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

AdmiralViscen posted:

Wii U's sales are going to have to pick up bigtime to hit Cube numbers. Bigtime.

Wii U's sales are up 1,500% in Japan since the price cut. 200% worldwide. As the cost to manufacture the hardware comes down, the price of the console will continue to fall. If Nintendo can swing a price drop down to $250 I think it will sell fine.

I am seeing more popular press articles like this one too.

Don't forget the power of being in stock for Christmas has with clueless parents. I think that is how my little brother wound up with a gamecube.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Clueless parents will say "we already have a Wii", relying on them isn't really a good idea.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Surlaw posted:

Clueless parents will say "we already have a Wii", relying on them isn't really a good idea.

Good point, I keep forgetting about the marketing problem.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

keyvin posted:

Wii U's sales are up 1,500% in Japan since the price cut. 200% worldwide.
  • The 1500% increase in sales was a single week going from the lowest LTD (2600) to the highest this year (39k) on the back of the new bundles and price cuts in Japan. They've dipped back to 16k as of the most recent reported week; PS3 was 12k that week.

• They haven't filed a quarterly report covering any of the sales post-price cut. They shipped 90k in Japan 1Q, 140k 2Q. Worldwide was 160k and 300k. Those numbers are all pre-price cut.

• Sold 95k in September in America with the price cuts and back down to 60k last month. October comparison: outsold 2:1 by PS3, 3:1 by 360.

• It could quite possibly be the 5th best selling console in America for November. It's not even outselling the Wii by a huge margin.

tldr: yes, the numbers are up! But a 200% increase doesn't make it into a huge success, or even a Gamecube one.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I actually see the Wii U as an incredibly safe console move for Nintendo since it still supports the old library and the tech isn't actually that much different. I always kinda figured it was a stop-gap between this and whatever next-gen plans they actually have, which I kinda doubt involve home consoles at this point? Although I have a much harder time not imagining Nintendo as a living-room presence than say, Sega.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

keyvin posted:

Good point, I keep forgetting about the marketing problem.

That and the Wii U already had a christmas it was in stock. Didn't help.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Edmund Honda posted:

• The 1500% increase in sales was a single week going from the lowest LTD (2600) to the highest this year (39k) on the back of the new bundles and price cuts in Japan. They've dipped back to 16k as of the most recent reported week; PS3 was 12k that week.

• They haven't filed a quarterly report covering any of the sales post-price cut. They shipped 90k in Japan 1Q, 140k 2Q. Worldwide was 160k and 300k. Those numbers are all pre-price cut.

• Sold 95k in September in America with the price cuts and back down to 60k last month. October comparison: outsold 2:1 by PS3, 3:1 by 360.

• It could quite possibly be the 5th best selling console in America for November. It's not even outselling the Wii by a huge margin.

tldr: yes, the numbers are up! But a 200% increase doesn't make it into a huge success, or even a Gamecube one.
Well, the usual staple Nintendo titles that come with every console they release, they've only just now, one year after the console, released the first AAA title out of that range. At this point they can only hope that this will get more people to consider buying into the console, like it did for me.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Edmund Honda posted:

[*]Sold 95k in September in America with the price cuts and back down to 60k last month. October comparison: outsold 2:1 by PS3, 3:1 by 360.

The Gamecube sold 168,000 in the US in its first October. It also sold over 400,000 in its second November, so that's the bar the Wii U needs to clear to start cutting into the 1 million unit lead the Gamecube had at the same point in its life.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I know the wii did the impossible with other M, by producing a bad Metroid game; could someone please give me the 411 on why zelda: skyward sword is bad? (or at least not up to fantastically high nintendo fanboy standards)

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Ka0 posted:

I know the wii did the impossible with other M, by producing a bad Metroid game; could someone please give me the 411 on why zelda: skyward sword is bad? (or at least not up to fantastically high nintendo fanboy standards)

Well just speaking for myself, I couldn't get the motion controls for combat working consistently which was incredibly frustrating, the game seems to be padded out by forcing you to do a pointless fetch quest before each dungeon, and the world just felt really empty even compared to Twilight Princess.

Now bear in mind the above issues meant that I stopped after the first two dungeons so if it picks up later I wouldn't know. I told myself I'd go back and finish it at some point but I just can't be bothered when there are so many other games that I actually enjoy.

EDIT: VVVVVVV Yes! The tutorials, the constant loving tutorials, they served no purpose other than to break the flow of the game and piss me off. A Link Between Worlds was a revelation when it just let me play the game instead of interrupting me every 5 minutes to tell me something I already knew

Skyward Sword was actually the game that stopped me ever taking another 10/10 review seriously until there's some sort of popular consensus. I pretty much never buy games at launch now.

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Motion Controls are poor, overworld lacks anything to really do with it, constant aggravating tutorials that often repeat themselves later, Motion Controls.

Did you get all that?
>No
Yes

• Locked thread