Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

It is really somewhat disappointing to me that everyone involved seemed to have gotten over the fact that the world is now a videogame in half an episode.

That is really my biggest problem with the show. Not one person has been really bothered by the fact that they have been trapped in the game. Maybe the fact that they are immortal helps but at least someone should miss there family of something. At this point it just feels like a conceit that was made in order to make the rest of the show happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Probably because the characters logged in right after the new expansion is released. A lot of them are likely hardcore gamers to begin with, and of our PoV characters, definitely(anyone who reached the level cap wouldn't be a casual...or have much of a life outside of gaming).

KoB
May 1, 2009
What are they going to do about being stuck in there? Might as well make the best of it.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Personally I found it refreshing that instead of episodes full of :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear: we have someone pretty much go "Welp, we're stuck, we'll be stuck no matter how hard we worry. How about we stop worrying and do this poo poo. :getin:"

About the last ep: Can't help but wonder if the fact that the top three guilds donated a large amount of gold will play a factor in building buying. If it becomes an auction, is announced, then they realize that they can't buy much due to the loan and Log Horizon owns majority of the city. That would be the perfect dick move for the Villain in Glasses.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I think they aren't bothered because it really is like real life for them. Since it was not a VR game, but a normal mess of polygons game, for them they are just now suddenly living in a fantasy world with some game-elements thrown in. They've been in there for weeks now at least, I guess you get used to it since you view your world as you would in real life.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Humans are nothing if not adaptable. Most people probably got over it in a week or two, and clearly some of them are pretty gung-ho about taking full advantage of it.

Also, I think there's a pretty big distinction between being trapped in what you know for sure is a virtual reality, and what seems to be a reality simply based on a game.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm sure there's still some stragglers wallowing in self pity, but we've generally been looking at the most competent of the bunch.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
The problem is that no one seems to be in the least interested in actually going back to reality. SAO established this as the main goal in episode one, LH seems to have quietly dropped it and hopes no one asks questions.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I don't think there's any signs of reality being reachable at all though. It's like if in SAO, Kayaba never bothered to announce anything, would anywhere near as much effort be put into clearing floors?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
While it's certainly something that gets glossed over, after playing/watching .hack and SAO, I don't really care about that plot point if the show wants to go in another direction.

Realistically, it's more likely that people would have gone crazy within a week or two of realizing they were stuck in a game. I don't really care about that though; I wanna see villains in glasses break the game system in order to rule the world. That sounds more fun.:colbert:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Well it's not like they're completely without some kind of emotional support. Presumably the vast majority of players have in-game friends just like Shiroe does, and oftentimes those friends are also RL friends (which Marielle and Henrietta seem to be, considering they're on a first-name basis).

And with no clear way to get back to the old world, the game becomes real life. As was said before, people are pretty adaptable.

The people that are really hosed are the ones who first installed with this expansion. Little knowledge of how the game works, probably no in-game support(they probably have friends in the game but not on their list yet, so contact would be difficult), and starting from square 1. Those are probably the kinds of people that got roped into Hamelin.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

We also seem to be dealing with mostly a cast of 20 somethings, if not older folks (Nyanta and the accounting lady) who maybe aren't as likely to break down into hysterics from being tossed into this situation as adolescents and teenagers would be. I mean given their levels and all, it doesn't seem like they're exactly the most well adjusted bunch of people in real life, which you'd expect from some MMO nerds truthfully.

Not that I think they're experts at handling a crisis situation, but more that someone who's already somewhat disconnected from reality and normal, real life relationships might not be as likely to suffer a huge breakdown. And we did see in the first episode or two people seeming to lose it around town.

Chalupa Picada fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 26, 2013

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I'd say one of the biggest shocks would be food suddenly tasting like nothing. Food is such a fundamental part of the human experience, after all.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
On the other hand, if you're a shut in nerd, winding up with the hyperfit body of a game character is pretty nice(and salty cardboard kind of describes some of the junk food staples they're on anyway).

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

Tarezax posted:

I'd say one of the biggest shocks would be food suddenly tasting like nothing. Food is such a fundamental part of the human experience, after all.

Hence why Crescent Burgers sold so well.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Yggdrasil325 posted:

Hence why Crescent Burgers sold so well.

Yeah the reaction from the lady who tried one first is pretty much how it would go for me if I were forced to subsist on salty cardboard for weeks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

veekie posted:

I don't think there's any signs of reality being reachable at all though. It's like if in SAO, Kayaba never bothered to announce anything, would anywhere near as much effort be put into clearing floors?

Given that no solution to their predicament was ever announced, there was probably a sense of resignation to the fact that this was their new life. Also, wallowing in self-pity wouldn't make as interesting a story, though I am curious if the LNs ever explained why people didn't care as much about getting out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, I think they did touch on the Apocalypse's psychological impact, but in a relatively subdued way. The parts of the world that Shiroe's seen have been sliding into either apathetic depression or nihlistic brutality now everyone knows there's no escape, and one of the biggest reasons why he swung into action was so that everyone would actually have some purpose to give their lives meaning again. He specifically mentions this in a monologue.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Idle thought, I wonder if the paper for their paperwork cost them anything to acquire. Marie went through enough paper and ink to set up a publishing business.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

veekie posted:

Idle thought, I wonder if the paper for their paperwork cost them anything to acquire. Marie went through enough paper and ink to set up a publishing business.

I'm sure the drop rates for paper and ink aren't that high. Quills though? The drop rate for those is absurd. :v:

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
There's a side manga following the west wind brigade. Here is your SAO while the real MC fills out forms all day.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

.Clash posted:

There's a side manga following the west wind brigade. Here is your SAO while the real MC fills out forms all day.

I wonder how many women are in West Wind for Soujirou vs. how many are in it because it's a safe space away from gross misogynistic nerds.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think this series has any problems with wretched nerd culture. Shiroe is an anti-social poopsocker and people seem to admire him for it.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
Watching the episode again, it seems there are a fair number of people in the backgrounds who seem to be feeling the despair. That Chinese restaurant where they had a meeting had other randomers slumped over tables.

Also, is it just me, or was the boy (of the two kids taken into Hamelin) unusually energetic upon access to the Apocalypse. I wonder if he was wheelchair bound or something beforehand.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Tarezax posted:

I wonder how many women are in West Wind for Soujirou vs. how many are in it because it's a safe space away from gross misogynistic nerds.

I'd say female characters are actually at an advantage if the MMOs I've played in the past(mind you, almost 10 years out of date now) are any indication. Girls are much rarer in an MMO, a lot of players will be young adult or teenage boys, and they are absolutely no weaker than male characters.

They'd be lining up to admire and hit on them in socially awkward ways. The girls in turn, if they are interested, can pick just about anyone to favor. Soujirou is cute, chivalrous and shy, so that makes a great difference from most of the guys they're likely to meet who'd either be trying to show off, hit on them or just generally being lame.

EDIT:
Alternatively it's done because it's bloody hilarious. Like Akatsuki's ongoing woes with aggressive women using her like a plush toy.

veekie fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 26, 2013

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Six Of Spades posted:

Watching the episode again, it seems there are a fair number of people in the backgrounds who seem to be feeling the despair. That Chinese restaurant where they had a meeting had other randomers slumped over tables.

Also, is it just me, or was the boy (of the two kids taken into Hamelin) unusually energetic upon access to the Apocalypse. I wonder if he was wheelchair bound or something beforehand.

Alternatively, he's a teenager who get too live out his dreams of being like an anime character.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Xelkelvos posted:

Alternatively, he's a teenager who get too live out his dreams of being like an anime character.

Actually, looking at the accompanying manga, and seeing the protagonist flip the gently caress out over being in Elder Tale, that seems more likely.

He just seemed surprisingly happy to be able to run and jump, is all. :v:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kid was in a wheelchair before the apocalypse. :lost:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

veekie posted:

I'd say female characters are actually at an advantage if the MMOs I've played in the past(mind you, almost 10 years out of date now) are any indication. Girls are much rarer in an MMO, a lot of players will be young adult or teenage boys, and they are absolutely no weaker than male characters.

They'd be lining up to admire and hit on them in socially awkward ways. The girls in turn, if they are interested, can pick just about anyone to favor. Soujirou is cute, chivalrous and shy, so that makes a great difference from most of the guys they're likely to meet who'd either be trying to show off, hit on them or just generally being lame.

You've seen the sorts of horrible, creepy, misogynistic messages that players identified as female tend to get deluged with on a daily basis, right? Sure, the free gifts from awkward nerds are nice, but I'm not entirely sure how they balance out against a mailbox full of PMs asking politely to poo poo all over your breasts.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

In the manga that was linked one of the girls says she has hard time moving/doing combat because she was not very athletic in real life, so I would think if someone was paralyzed they wouldn't be able to do all that well.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

The Devil Tesla posted:

Kid was in a wheelchair before the apocalypse. :lost:

wasn't that a .hack// char?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Darth Walrus posted:

You've seen the sorts of horrible, creepy, misogynistic messages that players identified as female tend to get deluged with on a daily basis, right? Sure, the free gifts from awkward nerds are nice, but I'm not entirely sure how they balance out against a mailbox full of PMs asking politely to poo poo all over your breasts.

Smaller communities back then, so never actually saw someone who's terrible to that extent. Stalkers though...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pyronic posted:

wasn't that a .hack// char?

Yeah the main character in .hack sign was an IRL girl in a wheelchair, instead of a whiny boy wizard like in the game I'm not entirely sure why I'm spoiler tagging an old show, but it is a strange reveal.

Enjoying the show so far, but mostly watching it to see Shiroe :smug: and :words: his way through encounters with any opposition he faces.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

Six Of Spades posted:

It's mentioned in the light novel that Tohya was wheelchair bound and was undergoing treatment for some nerve problems. This was in volume 2 during the time before Minori was first contacted by Shiroe. I dunno why the anime skipped that bit of monologue but then again it didn't seem so important going forward.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

kazakirinyancat posted:

It's mentioned in the light novel that Tohya was wheelchair bound and was undergoing treatment for some nerve problems. This was in volume 2 during the time before Minori was first contacted by Shiroe. I dunno why the anime skipped that bit of monologue but then again it didn't seem so important going forward.

I think they had to skip these not-so-important details for the plot line. If they want to go through most of the plots that the books has been released so far, they will need to move along quite fast. They are on episode 8 when they are still talking about stuff from volume 2.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Probably yeah, light novels can be extremely long winded about background details. We didn't get much detail on why Shiroe doesn't like guilds either, though a guess could be hazarded, I'd bet the light novel will expound repeatedly on the subject.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

New episode: Welp, looks like he was in a wheelchair.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah the main character in .hack sign was an IRL girl in a wheelchair, instead of a whiny boy wizard like in the game I'm not entirely sure why I'm spoiler tagging an old show, but it is a strange reveal.

Enjoying the show so far, but mostly watching it to see Shiroe :smug: and :words: his way through encounters with any opposition he faces.

Actually She was a normal girl, the wheelchair one was her girlfriend.:ssh:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Well, it makes his reaction to being in the game some substance to back it up. Remember how he was so excited and jumping about the place? This is why. He got his legs back and was happy to have them back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Why is 'low level player' synonymous with 'kid'?

• Locked thread