Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Gonna give that Preloader thing a shot. My first time loading is always horrifically slow, but everything after that is just fine.

And yeah, the game difficulty definitely ramps up after Korthos, though playing on Normal (epic or heroic) is almost never a challenge, except in some very specific quests. Playing on elite is an entirely different story. Epic Elite will mercilessly corpse stomp you solo, and even in full groups some quests (and particularly optional objectives) are almost impossible to complete.

Edit - Preloader works through voodoo magic. Definitely makes a huge, huge difference.

Gammon fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Even on normal you will start running into quests that are challenging at around level 5/6 (maybe earlier - third part of Shan-to-kor especially). Puzzles, traps/trap damage, magic missile/lack of shield or nightshield, lack of 100% fortification start hitting you around level 6 and it ramps up a lot for ungeared players after that. Around level 10/11 a lack of deathblock item or ways to absorb beholder spells will ramp up difficulty some more. There are plenty of ways to make a suboptimal build too and that adds to the challenge/'fun.' I recommend going VIP and running things on hard at least for a while (as well as accessing harder difficulties).

Also normal and hard scale to the group, so groups smaller than 3 get a much easier time (2 full hirelings amp it up to the next level of difficulty, but if you can't heal yourself they make it quite a bit easier).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Also you could skip using the guild ship buffs if you really want to amp up the challenge. A lot of people complain about the difficulty and then don't know about the buffs is why I put it so prominently in the OP. But without those resist buffs in particular, spellcasters are a pretty sizable threat even on Normal then.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I wanted to try this game out because I've been on a 3rd edition DnD trip lately for some reason. How do I join the guild? I tend to not actually group up with anyone ever but it's nice being able to ask dumb questions and the OP mentioned free buffs.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!

rodbeard posted:

I wanted to try this game out because I've been on a 3rd edition DnD trip lately for some reason. How do I join the guild? I tend to not actually group up with anyone ever but it's nice being able to ask dumb questions and the OP mentioned free buffs.

You just need to join type "/joinchannel goons neckbeards" into the chat and set incoming and outgoing chat to userchat1. You can set what chat you're posting to by right-clicking on the name of the chat window and selecting "userchat1" in the incoming and outgoing thing. Then just ask for an invite.

Feel free to mooch xp off me next time I'm doing a TR and level into range of you.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Wahhhhh.. I just logged in and the server is going down. Is it going to be down for 12 hours like WoW? :(

Edit: 20 minutes, sweet!

"We expect the downtime to last around 20 minutes. Thanks for your patience!"

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 22, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
20 mins, they're rebooting after yet another unexpected crash.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Is that why it kept telling me I was logged on to a different server and kicking me off?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If that was happening prior to the restart then yeah prolly. There was some lingering issues from the crash is why they restarted the servers real quick.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Do sagas ever give stat tomes? I keep getting offered crappy skill ones, by crappy I mean stuff I never use. Like swim.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Nope, they're primarily for extra experience and skill tomes. Or Renown if you're desperate. Though apparently skill tomes can drop in place of stat tomes in loot now, someone was saying they drop more often than stat tomes do now. So that's... cool.

All the epic Sagas give you 1-4 +3 skill tomes, randomly chosen (except UMD as far as I know) depending on what difficulty you completed it on. The experience and renown scale based on the difficulty for value, but the tomes you just get more choices.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
I've come up with a build idea that combines this missile spam build and Demon's Pal/Monk/Sorc build. It's 3/3/14 Monk/Fvs/Sorc, Warforged for self healing, and takes the EK Spellsword & Monk Lighting The Candle combo and mixes it with the FVS/Sorc temp spell points/power combo while picking up the PRR from both EK and WP. I haven't gotten into the feats yet, but I'm thinking the empower, maximize, quicken, power attack, and the cleaves; or maybe forms instead of the cleaves for more PRR.

Would the temp spell stuff proc off of Lighting The Candle, EK cleave, or Spellsword? Also, would the increases to fire damage from All-Consuming Flame & Awaken Elemental Weakness: Fire stack?

Enhancement: Henshin Mystic (Mnk) - Riddle of Fire (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Henshin Mystic (Mnk) - Ki Bolt (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Henshin Mystic (Mnk) - All-Consuming Flame (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Henshin Mystic (Mnk) - Staff Training (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Henshin Mystic (Mnk) - Way of the Patient Tortoise (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Henshin Mystic (Mnk) - Staff Training (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Henshin Mystic (Mnk) - Lighting the Candle (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Henshin Mystic (Mnk) - Lighting the Candle (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Henshin Mystic (Mnk) - Lighting the Candle (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Fire Savant (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Fire Affinity (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Greater Fire Affinity (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Immolation (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Burning Hands (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Burning Hands (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Burning Hands (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Spell Critical: Fire I (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Conflagration (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Conflagration (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Conflagration (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Spell Critical: Fire II (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Fanning the Flames (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Fanning the Flames (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Fanning the Flames (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Spell Penetration (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Spell Critical: Fire III (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Charisma (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Scorch (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Scorch (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Scorch (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Spell Critical: Fire IV (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Charisma (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Fire Savant (Sor) - Awaken Elemental Weakness: Fire (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Angel of Vengeance (Fvs) - Font of Power (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Angel of Vengeance (Fvs) - Scourge (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Angel of Vengeance (Fvs) - Scourge (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Angel of Vengeance (Fvs) - Scourge (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Angel of Vengeance (Fvs) - Animus (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Angel of Vengeance (Fvs) - Animus (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Angel of Vengeance (Fvs) - Animus (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Angel of Vengeance (Fvs) - Smiting (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Angel of Vengeance (Fvs) - Just Reward (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Angel of Vengeance (Fvs) - Just Reward (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Angel of Vengeance (Fvs) - Just Reward (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Angel of Vengeance (Fvs) - Smiting (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Fvs) - Smite Foe (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Fvs) - Resilience of Battle (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Fvs) - Divine Might (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Fvs) - Divine Might (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Fvs) - Divine Might (Rank 3)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Fvs) - Toughness (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Fvs) - Wall of Steel (Rank 1)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Fvs) - Wall of Steel (Rank 2)
Enhancement: Warpriest (Fvs) - Wall of Steel (Rank 3)
9 remaining into EK tree: Cleave, Armor, item degrade, fire spellsword, and Shield.

Not_Rainbow_Horse fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 22, 2013

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
So are there still problems with the game/launcher? Because I can't get in right now.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
I'm logged in right now.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Good old computer restart fixed it. Launcher kept locking at a certain percentage, then I had a failed to connect to server error, so though it might be something outside of my PC.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
I TRed into this missile spam build. It's loving :krad:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

And you're not even a Shiradi yet! Once you have all the crazy procs and Nerve Toxin, it's so ridiculously fun.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I switched my wizard into a chain missile build and kind of want to TR her into a heavier multiclass. I'm not sure I could resist being WF though.

Have any of you tried a shuriken build? Like this one: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/431022-Shurikens-pew-pew! (not sure if 20 monk is better or not).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The build should work just as well with Bladeforged or regular Warforged even. Just give up Mobility. Plenty of spell slots and points for Reconstruct with 14 Sorc or Wiz.

The Shuriken thing is cool, I've only done a regular bow user for ranged stuff really. Any non caster based ranged character tends to have the same issue of a real lack of good AE damage, and since so many fights in DDO are against packs of mobs that's a not insignificant downside.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
I'm running it as Bladeforged without issue. I think the strength of it comes from the stacking spell point/power combo between Angel of Vengeance and Fire Savant so I'm not sure Wiz would be as :krad:. Other than that the build is open to changes to account for play style.

Woden
May 6, 2006
2 monk instead of pally is the way to go on a wizard pew pewer, saves are fine with the right gear(70+ at cap) and because you'll have a ton of feats you can grab grandmaster of forms and sit in water stance. Not sure which of 2, 3 or 4 FvS levels are best though, it'd come down obviously to the extra wiz feat and 1 or 2 level 8 spells. HM also gets you +5 force/fire and 1% crits, so pretty solid splash.

Got a few guildies that are doing the 20 monk halfling thrower thing and they love it, the damage output is pretty nuts.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So it took us 53 quests on Elite to get from 15-20 with VIP 15% and Greater Tome. Not too bad really, never felt too grindy. Used our VIP skip for The Druid's Curse to finish off the Honor of the Huntsilver Saga to finish hitting 20 (we had just finished Overgrowth).

[Edit] Someone wanted to know the quests we did:
All level 13 quests
All level 14 quests except Reaver
All level 15 except Acid Wit
All level 16 except Let Sleeping Dust Lie
17: Overgrowth, Outbreak
18: High Road
19: Storm Horns

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 23, 2013

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks for the list :)

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah, I've repeated a couple of quests so far - Tor and Sinister Storage for sure, maybe one or two others I think. I've also been running a 30% xp pot since I turned in the GH saga, and I did Mired in Kobolds at 16, not 15 (so didn't get max xp for that), but I'm finding myself two ranks in to 17 and only a couple of level 15 quests left to do. I'm thinking though, from your list, that there's a shitload of xp to be had at the backend. I reckon I'd probably catch up from the Vale, LoD chain, and Storm Horns/Wheloon. Still about 1 million xp away from 20, which I guess isn't too bad, given quest xp should ramp up a fair bit from the level 16 quests onward. Definitely feels more like second life in the old system, that's for sure. At least I get progress from a quest completion :).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It's not that quest experience ramps up, sadly if anything it goes down, there's just a lot of content in that range now. You can pretty much skip any quests you don't like now pretty easily. And if you focus on getting the Sagas in FR done that's nearly 200k when you turn them in on True Elite. Though that does mean not getting the bravery bonus in epic levels, so I might switch things up next life and have us focus on doing content that doesn't have any epic options. Plenty of room to screw around without making it particularly hard to level, it's a lot nicer now.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
So all VIPs with an epic-level character will get a free Epic Heart if they log in between Dec 12-Jan 12. Pretty neat.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Note you don't need to be 20+ before the event hits, as long as you hit 20 during the event. Only one per character, so even if you TR and hit 20 again it won't net you another free one sadly.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 26, 2013

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
That would actually be worth buying a single month of vip.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I'm considering it, but also expect them to have sales on expansions and quest packs, and I didn't get the latest expansion yet, so... indecisions. Hmm.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Finally farmed up enough comms the other day and so time to TR, will probably take Colours of the Queen for a PL as I'll be going Fury next life. Here's the plan:

Race is PDK, 12/6/2 ranger/monk/cleric, 16/16/12/8/14/14 for stats, which will end up as 23/21/16/13/22/19 at level 19 before gear or enhancements.

Feats: PBS, precision, PA, toughness(?), cleave, g cleave, IC ranged, zen archery, master of forms, emp. heal, level 18 feat unsure on, overwhelming crit., archer stance and probably perma haste(I'm lazy). Not sure on ED feats and for the level 18 one I might go with dodge, not anything really standing out there as a must have. Any must haves I might have missed, or awesome things from the ED feats?

Skills: Concentration, heal and UMD maxed out, spare points in balance, jump and one in tumble. Not going to bother min/maxing skills as I'll probably TR as soon as I cap.

No idea how to do the enhancements for a monk archer, so will probably end up spending a fortune on respecs figuring it out. Any help here would be greatly appreciated here, first time ever rolling up a ranger(need the PL) so it's all foreign to me.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If you're going to TR right at 28, why not just go with Sun-Elf so you don't have to blow an LR+1 to fit in all your classes?

You don't really need the extra feat since Toughness is totally skippable, but you are missing Ten Thousand Stars feat. You'll want to slot that in there at 18 probably, if not sooner.

With only 12 ranger you won't be able to get Shadow Arrows or Master of Imbument either, but that's not the end of the world for a TR build and frees up points from your racial tree (which would let you take Elven Arcane Archer and get the top tier cores).

Sun Elf: Elven Accuracy 2, Keen Senses 1, Blessing of Amaunator 3 (another reason to Sun-Elf, lazy Mass Death Ward)
Ranger Arcane Archer: Metalline Arrows, Conjure Arrows, Force Arrows 1, Inferno Shot, all Elemental imbues, Soul Magic, Terror Arrows, Paralyzing Arrows, Arrow of Slaying, Runebow, Improved Elemental Arrows, Moonbow
Warpriest: Divine Might (if you wanna bother to keep it up), Toughness, Wall of Steel

That'll leave you with 2 points free to spend at 15, for 20 I'd add:

AA: Aligned Arrows
Ninja Spy: Shadow Veil, Faster Sneaking 1, Sneak Attack Training 3, Agility 2, Sting of the Ninja (think this works with bows anyways)

Leaves with 6 AP to play with.

Twists: A Dance of Flowers, Cocoon, Standing with Stone/Brace for Impact/Pin/etc

[Edit]
For destiny feats I'd probably go Guardian Angel and Elusive Target.
And while it shouldn't matter overly much I was assuming a leveling order of 2 cleric, 6 monk, 7(-12) ranger.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 26, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
I'm a dummy and forgot about the fighter level 1 thing. Total brain fart as I was planning a melee monk for a while but they're kinda broken as PDK.

Leveling order was going to be heavily ranger first and then the rest of monk til I'm 6/6 at level 12. Need the heavy ranger to start so I can grab IC ranged at level 9 and then all the monk levels for master of forms at 12. Freeing up the level 15 and 18 feats for anything really. Leveling order I can change up though and take MoF at 15 and IC: ranged at 12 without issue I guess if going go Sun Elf.

Toughness was the third monk feat, PA and Zen being the other two. But yea can swap it with precision and be fine, forgot it was a monk feat.

Twists were going to be Cocoon, pin and ottos whistler, think that's what guildies are running with on their AAs.

So guess the contention is 10 con starting on a 12/6/2 Sun Elf or swapping the cleric levels for fighter on a PDK and dumping cha in favor of more con/wis. Hmm, either way I should be able to fit emp heal and magical training in. Decisions decisions.

Thanks for the help btw, builds are really hard these days.

Stealth Edit:

Was talking to a guildy and he put me on to the idea of going bladeforged. /2 pally helps a lot with saves, bladeforged get awesome fortification, damage boost and a recon SLA so hopefully I'll be fine skipping stuff like brace, emp heal, cocoon, heal skill and the like.

So, 16+2 levelups+5 tome in str=23, 14+2 levelups +5 tome dex =21, 10+4 con, 14+3 levelups +3 tome wis(eww)=20, 14+5 cha=19. Wisdom is tanking bad here though, 20 base + 11 spiritsight, +3 robe, +1 globe, +2 ship, +2 yugo, +2 rage only gets me to 41, put and enh in somewhere and that's 42. Not sure if that's good enough, but I kinda like the idea of only having one heal button and it doing a lot of healing.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Last I heard A Dance of Flowers works with Bows now, so I really wouldn't pass up +1.5[W], especially if you're going Bladeforged as you can do Pin and Otto's if you really want both and still get Dance.

Which yeah Bladeforged are pretty drat awesome. And your Wisdom is only 2 off what mine was during my monkcher life, I think. Wisdoms damage increase with Ten Thousand Stars is linear, so while more is better you're not missing some awesome breakpoint or something.

[Edit] Plus the Bladeforged past life is +5% fort, which is really nice to have completely passively.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 26, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Ok thanks, might go do the Bladeforged thing then. I hate how p2w this game is getting but oh man I'd love to be able to buy a +5 wis tome right about now. And yea, will take dance now as a a Bladeforged for a twist, it's pretty uber.

Noricae posted:

I'm considering it, but also expect them to have sales on expansions and quest packs, and I didn't get the latest expansion yet, so... indecisions. Hmm.
The expansion is still pretty bad and not really worth it IMO, but $10 to get a month to test it out and free ETR tomes for your main and your alts isn't such a bad deal, you also get 500 TP as a monthly bonus right?

Woden fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 26, 2013

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Bladeforged are totally incredible, and I'm thinking of doing Reignbeau's build next life, or the life after anyway, with a Bladeforged again. Might need some adjustment, and the skills could need changing (as first level will be Paladin, not Monk, but maybe that can be changed with a LR+0 token? Same classes, just different order) but having Reconstruct as an SLA is just so loving handy.

A free epic heart will be super nice too :)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The Shadowfell content is loving great. Other than Thrill of the Hunt whose boss is pretty hosed up on Heroic Elite (somewhat) and EH/EE. Some of the items are really good too, but for the most part they're mostly good for newer players. Heroic Guardian Ring is nicely broken and should still be solid even if it's ever fixed (and assuming its a retroactive fix), and the Epic one is good. Same for the Epic Hero's armor, being able to deconstruct them and keep the epic level armor bonus. Some Goatskin boots versions are solid, Consuming Darkness as well.

And no, LR+0 doesn't let you change your class order either. Since they haven't redesigned the LRing system to let you go back and forth and finalize a build like the character planner, it just goes you were X class at Level Y so you'll be leveling up as that.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 26, 2013

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Just an fyi, if someone sells whisperchain to a vendor you can buy it from them for around 10k plat. :smug:

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

The thread subtitle should be "D&D Online: Crate & Barrel" :smug:

(I just started playing this game, and god drat there are a lot of crates and barrels)

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Get in the guild, get sweet buffs that make your life a lot easier for 1 hour at a time :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Now until December 2nd:
Double BONUS points for buying points.
Shadowfell Conspiracy is half off, $15 for basic, $25 for Collectors
At checkout you can then go Legendary for another $25, as well as the usual $60 = 11k points and $18 for MotU Standard

Also +30% experience until the 1st.

• Locked thread