Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ZippySLC posted:

If you're not going to be scanning large format then you could save yourself some money and get a V600.

If money is no issue the v700 is head and shoulders better than the v600. At print resolution my v700 scans kill my v600 ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

plannerpirate posted:

The RB67 I posted about a while ago arrived, and I finally got around to ordering film and then getting it developed. So far the camera seems to be working fine, if anything its let been down by my initial stupidity in metering most of the shots for ISO200 (film was 100 :doh:), and shooting in the middle of the day because I wanted to quickly test it. No pictures though as I just paid for developing + printing, so to make up for that have a photo of the camera.

Since I know the camera works at least, I guess it's now time to spend even more money on a scanner, and then chemicals, and then more film. Oh joy. :homebrew:

As for a scanner, I'm looking at scanning a bunch of old 35mm film, plus now 120. Should I just be looking at a v700 for both - would the v700 be pretty much indistinguishable from a Plustek at 35mm?

metering at 200 instead of 100 is fine. film is more than capable of accepting a stop's worth of latitude.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I underexposed some Ektar 100 by like 5 stops and I still got an image, 1 stop over will be fine.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to get a waist level finder for my pentax 67 cause you know, I need to spend another $100 on this.

Has anyone used the rigid waist level viewfinder for the pentax 67? What is it like to use? Can you easily see the full image with camera at waist level?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I don't have a WLF for my P67, but bear in mind that it is a large and heavy camera that you may not want to hang around your neck like a Rolleiflex. Also, it will be difficult to shoot portrait orientation.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Those of us who have rotating backs don't have to worry about how to use their WLF for portrait orientation photos :smugdog:

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Holy crap, a TLR is a supreme pain in the rear end to shoot. I am sure all of the shots that I have taken on this roll (which, by the way, is likely 30+ year old Kodacolor II that was left in the camera by the previous owner) are going to be crooked as hell.

That and it's really hard to see if the shot is in focus.

Lest anyone think I am naysaying the camera, I've gone ahead and ordered a bunch of 120 film anyway. :v:

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

ZippySLC posted:

I just got in on my own tlr, its a little bit easier to focus because of the bellows, although the reverse image will take a while getting used to.

As a general question is it best to buy 120 colour film or go with b&w film? I take it that it is best to stick around 400 iso?

This is my first jump in to film that wasn't 35mm I developed in school years ago.

Greyish Orange fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 23, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Depends on what you're after, I've seen great stuff from all the people in this thread on colour and black & white. Best thing to do is buy a few rolls of each and have fun :)

As for ISO, people are pushing black and white stuff to extremely high ISO and getting great results. I've seen people pushing colour negative, specifically Portra 400, to great effect as well.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Depends on what you're after, I've seen great stuff from all the people in this thread on colour and black & white

Is there much difference in regard to scanning the film if it is shot in colour or b&w? A while ago I heard you got better results scanning colour, though I have no idea myself

I'll most likely be fine developing the negatives but a long way off with printing by hand.

This is what I get for working with purely digital for so long.

Greyish Orange fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 23, 2013

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Depends on what you're after, I've seen great stuff from all the people in this thread on colour and black & white. Best thing to do is buy a few rolls of each and have fun :)

As for ISO, people are pushing black and white stuff to extremely high ISO and getting great results. I've seen people pushing colour negative, specifically Portra 400, to great effect as well.

Pretty much this. Tri-x and Portra are basically film magic. I've pulled some ridiculous shots out of both pushing like 2-4 stops.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Casu Marzu posted:

Pretty much this. Tri-x and Portra are basically film magic. I've pulled some ridiculous shots out of both pushing like 2-4 stops.

This. This, this and this! Tri-x is magic on film, you can push it up to 5 stops and get useable negatives. Portra 400 has amazing latitude and can be pushed/pulled 2 stops on the same roll, just send it for standard development and you'll have great images. You can expose the same roll from ISO 100 to ISO 1600 and get fairly good image of Portra 400, the holiest of films... Portra 160 is not as flexible but when properly exposed will give you the best skin tones ever.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

ZippySLC posted:

Holy crap, a TLR is a supreme pain in the rear end to shoot. I am sure all of the shots that I have taken on this roll (which, by the way, is likely 30+ year old Kodacolor II that was left in the camera by the previous owner) are going to be crooked as hell.

Lest anyone think I am naysaying the camera, I've gone ahead and ordered a bunch of 120 film anyway. :v:

You should be able to nail the focus if you've got one of those little pop-up magnifying glass in the waist level finder.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Greyish Orange posted:

Is there much difference in regard to scanning the film if it is shot in colour or b&w? A while ago I heard you got better results scanning colour, though I have no idea myself

I'll most likely be fine developing the negatives but a long way off with printing by hand.

This is what I get for working with purely digital for so long.

Scanning any film requires practice and usually a bit of time in post processing. It'd be worth reading the last few pages of this thread and the film thread for scanner talk.

Also regarding all the Portra love, pretty sure the latest run of it is based on Kodak's Vision 3 motion picture stock, which is probably the best motion picture film ever made.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 23, 2013

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Spedman posted:

You should be able to nail the focus if you've got one of those little pop-up magnifying glass in the waist level finder.

I do, and that's what I've been doing, but it doesn't stay up. So I have to slip a finger under it which is hard when I'm using both hands to hold the camera. It probably will get easier when my strap gets here.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
Here's a bad idea: Trying to fix the stuck shutter in my Mamiya Six myself. I hamfisted it and now it's totally broken. The upside, I guess, is that I should be able to replace it with another Copal 0 size shutter. The bad part is that they're all kinda expensive.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ZippySLC posted:

Here's a bad idea: Trying to fix the stuck shutter in my Mamiya Six myself. I hamfisted it and now it's totally broken. The upside, I guess, is that I should be able to replace it with another Copal 0 size shutter. The bad part is that they're all kinda expensive.

No one ever listens to Zathras, no, he's quite mad they say.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I really really think this is ill-advised. This isn't a LF camera where you can focus on a ground-glass, this is a rangefinder camera with lens-to-camera linkages that he will have to disassemble and rebuild. Theoretically the lens-to-film distance should be exactly the same, but why loving risk it when the camera is still repairable?

No offense $122 isn't a lot to pay to get your grandpa's camera running again. Pretty much any CLA costs at least $50-75 even assuming no parts. And even if you buy another Six for less than $122 then that camera would be old and gummy too, whereas if you pay to clean it you know the camera is good for another couple decades. That camera is one of the better folders ever released, just spend the money and take care of it.

I guess you're going to have to start looking for a parts body.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 24, 2013

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Paul MaudDib posted:

No one ever listens to Zathras, no, he's quite mad they say.

I guess you're going to have to start looking for a parts body.

Yes. I know I hosed up.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Oh, looks like a parcel arrived for me while I was away this weekend.

:getin:

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
how expired is it?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Genderfluid posted:

how expired is it?
From my experience the last batch was around 1999, 2001 - so um.. very?

I shot it once, but sadly mine had been exposed to heat and thus was neigh useless, although it still looked interesting. Kinda...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Genderfluid posted:

how expired is it?
May 2007, so somewhat. The seller said it's been kept frozen up until about two weeks ago though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ZippySLC posted:

Lined focusing screen and flip-out loupe!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
You know what's a good feeling? Going to the park, with a model, on a Sunday afternoon and having him point out that all the other photographers there are staring at your 4x5 camera in awe. :smuggo:

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

evil_bunnY posted:

Lined focusing screen and flip-out loupe!

It's much easier to use when it's bright out. I shot the remaining three frames on the roll on Sunday and the bright sunlight and clear skies made focusing on the screen much easier without the loupe.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

8th-snype posted:

You know what's a good feeling? Going to the park, with a model, on a Sunday afternoon and having him point out that all the other photographers there are staring at your 4x5 camera in awe. :smuggo:

I shot a concert with my FM2 a few weeks ago, halfway through the set I finished the roll, rewound it and popped the back. The guy next to me looked at it, and with a wide-eyed expression uttered, "That's FILM!?" I can't compete with 4x5 awe, but it's fun blowing people's minds.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -