Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Darth Windu posted:

Is there any way to make the window bigger? I set the viewport to 40/30, but it didn't increase.

You have to restart the game before it takes effect.

Darth Windu posted:

Is there any point to carrying multiple backpacks?

Yes, but you get a much bigger encumbrance penalty. It's usually not worth it. Find bigger backpacks instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Well...

Strange, I have my viewport set to 70/30 and it's definitely bigger than the 12/12 setting.
I think the default sets have updates in the works, but I'll defer to others who've played with them more cause I just rolled with the missing tiles.
Yes, you can wear two backpacks and carry twice the volume. After that you're just carrying backpack insurance.

e: ah, forgot about having to restart first for the screen size changes to take effect. Bigger backpacks are better in general, but if you haven't got any and don't need to melee, a second will do.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 26, 2013

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I usually play a ranged character, so I generally end up wearing all the duffel bags, and even then a cart is fairly useful for looting. Just use advanced inventory to transport everything in your surroundings in, then once it's full, go back to your base and sort it out. I'm the type that steals everything even remotely conceivably useful, though.

Also someone has started another 'too easy, gently caress newbies, nerf everything' thread there. Surprisingly enough there seem to be a fair number of people against it, and so far all it's resulted in is an item spawn rate option. I don't know why anyone would argue against the generator system, it's the most interesting new mechanic so far.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I have all the stuff to make a silencer suppressor but it's not showing up in the crafting menu, what do I do?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
You need mechanics 1 and marksmanship 1, if you do it should show up in the MISC tab.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I don't see an actual pull request related to food. Do you mean the food mod that was made? I actually think that's not a bad idea. It'll deal with the fact that cooked meat every day all day is one of the best mood boosters out there.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Oh yeah, apparently he decided not to merge it in with masters after all. Personally I think it's still a slightly ham-fisted way of handling the situation by merging morale and nutrition, but it's not as overcomplicated or crippling as some of the other proposed ideas, so I guess I'd grudgingly accept it if it was merged in the end.

I think there is a pull request for the item spawn rate adjuster, though.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There is a spawn rate adjuster, but who cares? Adjusting the loot spawns on your own is a feature, even if the guy who made the initial complaint was a grognard.

As far as the food mod goes, it seems to be this. Eat two kinds of food, like meat and jerky, nothing changes from what you get now. Diversify and you get a lot of nice buffs. Nutrition is just simplified to the more diverse the diet the better nutrition. Nothing really wrong with that, it's simple, easy to implement, and doesn't really get in anyone's way.

Anyways: Now that we have generators I hope we can set up radio's with MP3 players to keep that buff going in our bases.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It would be neat if you could rig up a generator to a radio station, set up a MP3 player in the station, then tuning in to that station from any radio played music. Probably beyond the scope of the current system, though.

And yeah, I'm not complaining about the item spawn rate option, just mentioning that that's a thing you should be able to try out soon.

E: No, wait. The actual best thing would be to lock two Mi-go into the broadcasting room, so you could listen to the Mi-go Morning Power Hour every day.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 26, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
"You tune your mobile bases radio to MGFM-95.9."
"Hello?" comes from the radio.
A horrified scream comes from the radio!
You are too depressed to craft right now!

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I'm still holding out for actual in-game audio; DoomRL managed to suck in a lot of players that otherwise would have never played a Roguelike, just because sound managed to bring something to the game that even graphics can't.

I'm sure the lovely legacy code will make it much harder than it normally would be, but the concept for adding audio isn't even hard to grasp. Link to the OpenAL library (or SDL audio library, since they're already using the graphics library), add audio triggers to actions and events in-game, then filter by distance. That way every time you or something else does something within a certain radius of the player, the audio plays. By far the hardest part would be going through all the JSON files and adding audio trigger tags for every single item in the game. Although that could be tackled over time by making the tags completely optional, and a lack of audio tags just means that no sound is played. That way audio can be added as available, but eliminates the need to update everything right away.

Edit: Lack of audio is (to me) what makes firearms feel so underwhelming in the game, even though they work fine and it's really just psychological. There's something just off-putting about firing a rifle and not hearing anything.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 26, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There's already the framework of a music code, so I imagine it will happen eventually. The rate of change happening these days is rapidly picking up pace. Fixing the code and JSON'ing everything has really helped.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I started using melee weapons with throwaway drug addicted characters, turning the game a 'find the remains of the previous characters' scavenger hunt. The real downer is having to blow fifteen minutes detoxing if I seriously find that a character that is doing pretty well, but anyway melee just is drat hella broken compared to how it used to be back in whales' days (not bad, to be honest). Grabbed an aluminum bat from the sports store and it blocks attacks from rats, cougars, loving' MOOSES (meese?) all day while you wallop away for free. Another character I had earlier had a sweet rapier that blocked and murdered everything, but she crashed into a car with her scooter and it exploded, killed her instantly.

This is with a duffel bag for 3 encumbrance, even. Kinda wishing I can attach an underslung shotgun to this bat now, haha.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think one of the main reasons why melee is the way it is right now is because of sewer rats. They attack you practically non-stop, but they can be blocked very easily and do very little damage, so even if you're not trying very hard you accumulate dodge from rats very quickly

That said, it's a very different game from Whales' version, of course. Those melee improvements might be lifesaving once higher tier enemies are introduced.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there any way to prevent the game processes from stacking up in the background? Seems like a recently introduced bug.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Anticheese posted:

Is there any way to prevent the game processes from stacking up in the background? Seems like a recently introduced bug.

What nightly are you running, as I seem to remember a fix to that either yesterday or the day before?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Are you exaggerating a little bit?

It's great that almost every melee weapon has blocking now, but it doesn't make you invincible. With 0 encumbrance even standard zombies can still sometimes get a bite in if you fight in the open.

Those bites add up, before you know it pain has tanked your speed stat and you're getting mobbed, which is how it should be. I don't think single Zs should be that much of a threat on their own, they're dead... dead guys can't fight too well.

The sewer rats do make levelling dodge trivial though, if you choose to exploit that (you don't have to!).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Inadequately posted:

That said, it's a very different game from Whales' version, of course. Those melee improvements might be lifesaving once higher tier enemies are introduced.

Not even "higher-tier," just enemies with ranged weapons. You can't dodge bullets, at least not without a power-hungry bionic module.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The King of Swag posted:

What nightly are you running, as I seem to remember a fix to that either yesterday or the day before?

One that I just downloaded an hour ago.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I just discovered office towers are full of office chairs you can throw stuff on and pull around like a shopping cart. If only I had some foot pedals.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It's fairly simple to craft a foot crank, although if you want a steel chain you might have to poke around craters and helicopter crashes for a bit, or get the whole forge setup and make one from scratch.

It'd be nice if there was a way to combine and split up vehicles, so cutting up a wreck into four counted as four different wrecks you could easily pull off the road. Or just welding a conglomeration of carts and chairs together and riding around on it.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
^^^^^
I'd really like a way to move large wrecks as well. Cutting them up into pieces would work or a tow system perhaps. With a moderate amount of strength even pushing them for a very high movement cost could work so it wouldn't be practical to move them large distances. A CBM to lift cars?

Wildlife and rats are ridiculous right now.

I spent about 14 ingame days converting a semi truck into an extra large RV and the surrounding area was littered with animal corpses that I solely fed off. I also accidentally levelled dodge from 1 to 7 because a sewer rat started attacking me and didn't interrupt me from damage until I had levelled 6 times whilst putting on a vehicle part.

But I'm pleased with my work. Nothing fancy but a good mobile base, I keep welding/forge and a box with crafting tools at the back. Any other vehicular apocalypse nomads have some tips to share?

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 26, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Out of curiosity, I created a character in a new world with "Spawn rate scaling factor" set to 50.

First, I got an error message "DEBUG: Couldn't find a shelter!"

When the game eventually started, my character really did appear in the middle of an open field instead of in a shelter:

And he was surrounded on all sides by 502 zombies:

Now THAT is one hell of a challenge game. :v:

EDIT: The thing is, I actually think my earlier character with the nodachi and full set of reinforced survivor armor could take on the entire horde and win. It feels like zombies, even in masses, are only a threat at the very beginning of the game and rapidly become inconsequential once you have reasonable melee skills and a decent set of reinforced clothing.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 26, 2013

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
The scaling increases things very quickly and for me past 5 just becomes really tedious rather than hard. Until you get really high numbers where it's instant death.

You have to clear so many zombies to get anywhere and I'll still survive unless something goes very wrong. I think clearing one street worth ~100 zombies is enough.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Someone is working on a towing system, and has for a while, so the days will come when you can haul wrecks off the road and feed them to your metal hungry processing plant. There's also talk of vehicle AI and robotic junkyards the player could find, fix up, and turn on which would gather up cars and drag them to the yard.

Either way, I look forward to the day I can go from a base vehicle to a base vehicle towing a flatbed with a car and an ATV on it when I move.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, you can only scale the spawn rate up so much before the game becomes more tedious than challenging. Either you get killed outright, or you run into the woods, grind your skills and return as an unstoppable zombie killer.

Also, the vehicle Roombas sound like a cute idea. Hope they work out the AI, though, I wouldn't want them crashing through buildings en route to the junkyard.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Should be skill based, or something. A few different AI's would be great, if only to put dumb AI's in automated tanks in some military bases, who would then follow you through town, crashing through house after house until you're dead or their treads fall off.

At any rate, there's a lot of good ideas kicking around for the future of the game. There are some pretty odd people on their forums though. I'm not even sure what happened in the thread that the item spawn rate pr came from.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I missed the bulk of that thread, but looking back on it a surprising number of people seemed to be against him. I guess it wasn't surprising in hindsight, he didn't seem to have much of a solid plan.

I've been tossing some of my random thoughts on there, but I know I should probably just figure out how to implement the features I really want and send a pull request for it, that gets things done much faster than any amount of talking will. Maybe when I have some free time.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
I need some sleep; I've been up all night trying to get the Visual Studio solutions to the point where they can actually compile a tile-supporting version of Cataclysm. The non-tile SDL version will compile with some minor changes, but the tiled version just won't do it. There really needs to be a CMake setup for building Cataclysm; then everyone could just run CMake, tell it what type of makefile or IDE project you'd like it to make, and then it'll make it and everything would just work, with the need to only update that singular CMakeList.txt file, in comparison to the half dozen different files that need to be updated as is.

Edit: You can also tell that no-one builds (or has built in a long time) with Visual Studio on Windows, because there's a few code changes that have to be made, because GCC let's them by, but VS catches them as errors. Nothing that seems to be too big of a deal, mostly just ambiguous implicit casting and some #define weirdness. For example, if you compile with SDLTILES (to get tile-support), the linking fails with unresolved symbols to various cata_curse functions, because they're not compiled if SDLTILES is defined, although they're used elsewhere in the program. I actually don't know how GCC let's that get by as GCC traditionally has much better logic prediction than VS. The only thing I can figure is that GCC just compiles it all anyway and thus doesn't complain.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 26, 2013

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, apparently most of the development is done on Linux, so Windows compiling errors often slip through. Not sure what can be done about that, though.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Inadequately posted:

I missed the bulk of that thread, but looking back on it a surprising number of people seemed to be against him. I guess it wasn't surprising in hindsight, he didn't seem to have much of a solid plan.

I've been tossing some of my random thoughts on there, but I know I should probably just figure out how to implement the features I really want and send a pull request for it, that gets things done much faster than any amount of talking will. Maybe when I have some free time.

Yeah, he kind of just drifted from complaining spawns were too high to that no longer being the problem and talked in circles before blowing up. All in all most of the people that posted seem to be wary of the 'make the game more tedious' types. At least people were ready to defend the electricity system.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing the JSON's ordered like I suggested, with various types of things under headings like 'classic guns' or 'guns with X ammo' so people can comment out the poo poo they don't want or a menu system can be made to do it for them.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Yeah, he kind of just drifted from complaining spawns were too high to that no longer being the problem and talked in circles before blowing up. All in all most of the people that posted seem to be wary of the 'make the game more tedious' types. At least people were ready to defend the electricity system.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing the JSON's ordered like I suggested, with various types of things under headings like 'classic guns' or 'guns with X ammo' so people can comment out the poo poo they don't want or a menu system can be made to do it for them.

It should be pretty possible to make a tool that does this. It could give you a list of things that are in your JSONs and let you pick and choose which of them are actually available in your game.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Anyone know why I can't craft these arrows? I have all the necessary skills and items:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Anyone know why I can't craft these arrows? I have all the necessary skills and items:

You can't use the same rock as a tool and an ingredient. Get another rock!

EDIT: Woops, actually the nails should be good enough. Maybe try getting another rock anyways just in case, but also report it as a bug.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Huh, that IS interesting. It's encountering the rocks first, so it wants to use them - but you already are using them, so it's a no go. Weird. Also probably my fault. Definitely report it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So I had an idea for something that I think would be cool and useful for vehicles. Boxes, or possibly a new type of storage tile you can make should link up with other boxes, increasing inventory size and making it so you can pull things in and out from any part of the entire whole.

This would allow a few things, such as having a flat bed truck that you throw logs and bulk items in the back of easily, and can unload.

But, if you took it a step further, you could have it also remember the dimensions of the contiguous storage, and add a device like a vehicle winch and use it to pull a vehicle up into the storage area. So you could essentially make a flatbed tow truck, or a trailer if hitching ever gets in. I think it'd be a really cool addition. People could load a shopping cart on the back of their pickup truck, or a small ATV. A person could make a large vehicle with a big flat bed in the back and tow go around winching wrecked cars up onto the bed and driving them back to base for disassembly.

Also, it'd be cosmetic, but a similar system for tanks, and possibly a new tank that's a larger type of tank that's the sort you'd only be able to have on the vehicle tile with little else to simulate those big tanker vehicles would be cool. Heck, you could even make a vehicle winch like device that'd essentially let the tankers or tanks vacuum up a nearby liquid, like modern day septic trucks. Then we could have things like non-potable water trucks, fuel tankers, and have fun sucking up things. Drive to a slime pit and suck up slime and use it to make a field around your base that slows attackers down!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
So if I'm getting it right...a set of trunks together in a truck would link up to form one giant trunk? Two tanks next to each other would form a bigger tank? And with big enough storage space you could pick up entire vehicles? Interesting, but sounds difficult to implement properly. I do think there should be a way to suck up liquids, though.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, you'd have to write some code that checks neighbors, but you'd only need it when you add or take away adjacent storage tiles. For putting vehicles in you'd have to make sure the vehicle isn't larger than the number of tiles you have in the storage area, and isn't longer or wider than the storage area.

For tanks you might have some formula to provide a bonus, or just do it for aesthetics or whatever. At the very least a larger tank tile would be nice. It could function as a tank that works like that trunks and boxes, to prevent you from putting anything else there, but it'd hold more, so you could use some to go around sucking dry gas stations.

edit: Or, to save on having to update things you could make it when you build the larger storage area it makes you highlight the tiles it's on, in the shape of a rectangle or square, and your guy builds it all in one go.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The flatbed thing might be a bit harder to implement, though. As it stands, you can't interact with objects in a storage space, and you can't have one vehicle on top of another, so combining the two would be extra difficult. I do like the idea of defining an area and making a giant storage space, though. And we really do need a way of sucking up liquids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, but you don't need to interact with the vehicle on the back of a flat bed. If you want to you unload it. It's not like people ride around on the backs of trackhoes when they're being hauled down the freeway by an 18 wheeler.

Either way, a big flatbed you can walk up the back of and toss logs and trunks and other bulk items in would be nice. More time playing less time managing the inventory of a pickup bed.