Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Fallom posted:

I'm convinced at this point that most complaints about characters "losing their voice" are due to people having faulty memory:

The most recent strip doesn't sound like that Vlad, though. Compare the possessives ("his pen" versus "he firstbeard") and verbs ("is rememberink" versus "give child dinner").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What are the chances that the strips where Vlad's voice seems "wrong" are really Liebot strips?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

withak posted:

What are the chances that the strips where Vlad's voice seems "wrong" are really Liebot strips?

Haha, what a great thought. Given the Achewood universe, at least 15%

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

withak posted:

But Lie Bot had Uncle Culpepper's mode of parlance down flawlessly when he impersonated him. He ain't no amateur, he wouldn't screw up like that. :colbert:

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Roast Beef, you could see a rainbow turnin' out badly!

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Man, somebody cut this guy off. He's saddin' so hard a poem came outta' his face.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dogg do not castigate me

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I watched Charlie Brown miss that loving football for over 20 years and I never batted an eye, but I see Roast Beef still depressed and a wreck after 10 and I'm loving furious.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Pat's blog is the best.

quote:

Anyhow, if you want to read Awake! magazine, you can dig through my trash, except you can't, because I'll shoot you with rock salt.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

Onstad posted:

An important rule I wish I'd followed the first time around: Don't work on birthdays and holidays. Happy Thanksgiving; I am grateful for your readership and support. I'll see you next week.

No comic this week, fellas.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Man, Achewood really hosed with his life the last go around.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Missed a week. Achewood's over again, guys.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love how Achewood evolved from this:

To something that pretty much entirely consumed the artist's life in a crazed pursuit for perfection.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Back when Lyle's moustache was straight out of The Pit and the Pendulum

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I still can't see Lyle's early moustache as anything other than a maniacally grinning mouth.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Erebus posted:

Man, Achewood really hosed with his life the last go around.

jesus onstad what did achewood do to you man

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

toasterwarrior posted:

Onstad was basically molested by his own comic its like if Garfield came to life and depressed Jim Davis until his ponytail chopped itself off in a cry for help that would be Onstad at this point

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

to be fair though at least he's gotten pretty fuckin close to perfection.

it'd be worse if he'd let a comic consume his life and that comic had been just about any other webcomic.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

FirstPersonShitter posted:

it'd be worse if he'd let a comic consume his life and that comic had been just about any other webcomic.

I feel like if you let this happen, the only thing you can do is move past it, and heal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FirstPersonShitter posted:

The trouble is he hit perfection on :nws: October 24, 2007 :nws: so what the hell was he supposed to do with the rest of his life?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

toasterwarrior posted:

Jerusalem posted:

The trouble is he hit perfection on :nws: October 24, 2007 :nws: so what the hell was he supposed to do with the rest of his life?
Basically Achewood did a :( that was simultaneously also a :)

Now all that's left for Onstad to do is die wealthy and well–regarded.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MMAgCh posted:

Basically Achewood did a :( that was simultaneously also a :)

Now all that's left for Onstad to do is die wealthy and well–regarded.

Such is his curse.

But what else can you do when you've mastered ironic misdirection and the slow-release triple entendre?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I thought this one was peak "language as music" greatness.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Loving Life Partner posted:

"It ain't exactly like my thatch is sportin' an afro pick and a disregard for people who have to sit behind it at the movie theater you know" is one of the greatest sentences ever written in the English language.

e: Molly's facial expression changing from vaguely playful to confused to annoyed to :smith: is a fantastic subtle gag.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm not quite sure what 'terrified, asexual forcemeat' means, but I'm pretty sure being mistaken for such must be a horrible way to die.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Anyone other than Roast Beef would be completely unconcerned about death and dying after everything he's been through. He's an extra level of hosed Guy that can treat death as a bad thing after having personally died and gone on adventures/found a girlfriend and come back after only minor inconvenience.

Todd probably routinely kills himself just because he's bored and out of blow.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It never really explored this, but Molly has been around for like 400ish years. Beef died, went to Heaven and brought back a 400 year old woman to live in his grandmothers trailer.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Johnny Aztec posted:

It never really explored this, but Molly has been around for like 400ish years. Beef died, went to Heaven and brought back a 400 year old woman to live in his grandmothers trailer.

Didn't he move out and leave her in the care of Samuel H. Invisible before living with Molly? Or did he move back?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Didn't he move out and leave her in the care of Samuel H. Invisible before living with Molly? Or did he move back?

Oh man, don't start in with Samuel H. Invisible.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

BizarroAzrael posted:

They lived in her trailer, they broke up, she moved out. During this time, Beef said " f u granma" and was all " I live in your pool shed now, hi" to Ray.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
You can call Molly tramp all you want, but don't you DARE dis his robot dog.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Atmus posted:

You can call Molly tramp all you want, but don't you DARE dis his robot dog.

You dis my dog you fluff my hog.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
I said that if you speak against Weldon then you are about to enter a world where the only activity that exists is tasting my hog

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
:siren: Drama bombs in the new Achewood! :siren:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Huh, I thought Penny was a human.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Holy crap that's a lot of Achewood. Longest strip ever?

Pretty brill though. And slightly depressing.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Garage Sale II: This Time With A Plot Hook

None of that is less than great.

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012
A throwback to the first ever Achewood storyline? So good. It is funny that it goes so far back to a time when the land of achewood was full of humans.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I am weirdly excited for the return of a decade old plot in a webcomic about cats and also a teddy bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
...and another teddy bear and a stuffed otter and tiger.

And Stanley Tucci.