Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I also would like to know of any streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/grand-sumo-tournaments

It's the official stream from the sumo website.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Posture Pal posted:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/grand-sumo-tournaments

It's the official stream from the sumo website.

Updated the OP... keep finding parts of the 'official' site that have changed.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 14 -Being able to watch the Hakuho-Kisenosato match live was a goddamned treat. All that tension and then the incredible match! Let's see if Harumafuji can make day 15 awesome

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
You redeemed yourself, Kisenosato.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Goddamn, I wasn't able to stay up to watch it but even Kintamayama's video had me my holding my breath. That was incredible.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Looks I decided to go to sleep just as the matches were getting good. I think I'll watch it live tonight, for sure.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
For posterity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNyyXVb3Yt4

:drat:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
日馬富士!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gently caress yes.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Takanoyama won his last match putting him at 4-3. He will most likely be in Juryo again next basho.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ballsy tachi-ai there in the final match.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Inches away from a save there for Hakuho, but props to Harumafuji on that crazy fluid tachai

Great year for Hakuho anyway- wins four out of six bashos and posts an 82-8 record. Noone else even comes close to that (Harumafuji 69-21, Kisenosato 68-22).

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Thank you sumo for somehow always finding a way to be exciting in the end.

Great stat showing Harumafuji having the 2nd best record for the entire year, proving that he is right where he belongs. And Kisenosato only one more loss than Harumafuji this year? He is quickly becoming one of the best rikishi in history to be nowhere near Yokozuna promotion.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

And Kisenosato only one more loss than Harumafuji this year? He is quickly becoming one of the best rikishi in history to be nowhere near Yokozuna promotion.

Is there a list of rikishi that have won tournaments without ever getting promoted to yokozuna?

The fact that Kisenosato hasn't won one yet seems like it should work against him being among the best non-yokozuna.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

Thank you sumo for somehow always finding a way to be exciting in the end.

Great stat showing Harumafuji having the 2nd best record for the entire year, proving that he is right where he belongs. And Kisenosato only one more loss than Harumafuji this year? He is quickly becoming one of the best rikishi in history to be nowhere near Yokozuna promotion.

The 2nd half of the year though has been kind of a weak field, lost a lot of previously very good rikishi and others have been injured. Its really time for a new crop to show up soon.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Uncle Jam posted:

The 2nd half of the year though has been kind of a weak field, lost a lot of previously very good rikishi and others have been injured. Its really time for a new crop to show up soon.

Osuunarashi's coming :woop:

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Hopefully he stays in Makuuchi.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Omnikin posted:

Osuunarashi's coming :woop:

Yeah, I was hopeful about Endou too but he looked kind of undersized in mid Makuuchi :(
I'm sure he can handle them but there are some real big guys in sanyaku.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

anakha posted:

Is there a list of rikishi that have won tournaments without ever getting promoted to yokozuna?

The fact that Kisenosato hasn't won one yet seems like it should work against him being among the best non-yokozuna.

I know that Kaio won 5 tournaments and had a record for wins in his career but he never made it to yokozuna.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah, I was hopeful about Endou too but he looked kind of undersized in mid Makuuchi :(
I'm sure he can handle them but there are some real big guys in sanyaku.

Endou was fighting with an injury the whole tournament so I'm not worried about him, really.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Dr.Radical posted:

I know that Kaio won 5 tournaments and had a record for wins in his career but he never made it to yokozuna.

the legendary rikishi Raiden (active in the late 18th and early 19th centuries) was never promoted to yokozuna for reasons that i think no one is completely sure of, but he won loads of tournaments (a lot of back to backs too)

konishiki also came close to a yokozuna promotion after winning 2 yusho in 3 basho in the 90s, but not consecutively.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Dr.Radical posted:

Endou was fighting with an injury the whole tournament so I'm not worried about him, really.

Same here. And remember, Harumafuji is one of the smallest rikishi in makuuchi (maybe the smallest with Takanoyama out of the picture?). Technique trumps everything.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

a false posted:

Same here. And remember, Harumafuji is one of the smallest rikishi in makuuchi (maybe the smallest with Takanoyama out of the picture?). Technique trumps everything.

I think it's worth noting that Harumafuji is also insanely strong. During his days as Ama he body slammed rikishi on occasion. I think Harumafuji is a lot like Chiyonofuji who was similar in size but was better than Harumafuji. Actually when Harumafuji got promoted to yokozuna, I guess he went to Chiyonofuji for advice.

Re: Raiden not making yokozuna, before the early 20th century (about there, I think, I can't remember exactly), only one family had the power to make someone a yokozuna (you'll have to look it up, they were the only ones to have a license to do so or something like that) and they did so based on wrestlers they sponsored and liked. As a result, yokozuna in the early days of organized sumo weren't necessarily the best rikishi. Obviously the wrestlers they chose had to be good otherwise they'd look dumb promoting some scrub to yokozuna, but there were plenty of greats who didn't make it to yokozuna because they were just on the wrong side of things. I think I read that in Chris Gould's book. I recommend giving it a read, you can get it on Kindle for cheap. Lots of cool stuff giving you more incite into modern rikishi and their personalities, quirks, hobbies, stuff like that.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

a false posted:

I dunno, I think Endou is smaller but you'd have to see them wrestle head to head.

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer
What about Ikioi, does he have a chance to make it to the next level?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Well I just got caught up and loving wow.

I hope Masunoyama's back in January and I want to see Shohouzan keep that fire and turn it into results.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

euthy posted:

What about Ikioi, does he have a chance to make it to the next level?

He will absolutely be a Komusubi or Sekiwake but Ozeki is really tough even with so many missing Ozeki. Just look at Goeido's career. I'd probably go with Chiyotairyu before Ikioi though.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Chiyotairyuu and Endou are a couple of my favorites for future Ozeki. Goeido is decent, but he constantly seems to choke under pressure, and Myogiryuu seemed promising, but he's very overeager and can't seem to reign it in.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Kisenosato primed for promotion to Yokozuna

On the heels of this last basho and his stellar performance I think he's worthy of the chance this time.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Omnikin posted:

Kisenosato primed for promotion to Yokozuna

On the heels of this last basho and his stellar performance I think he's worthy of the chance this time.

At least they seem to be sticking to the "13+ wins and the outright tournament win" before even considering it seriously. What I got from that article is that they don't think 12 wins and the title or even 14 wins without the title are enough to warrant discussion, and I agree. Last time it seemed like speculation was all he had to do was have consistent 13-14 win showings regardless of winning the tournament to get a shot. Thankfully we'll never know if that would have been enough. I, personally, like Kise but unless he beats at least one of the two yokozuna (preferably both) and gets an outright win (I would prefer two), he's got no business looking for an upgrade. However, I can see him getting the upgrade should he take tournament victories and beat Harumafuji. I see this as a nod to the greatness that is Hakuho and the council essentially saying "you are great, but don't worry that you couldn't consistently beat one of the greatest ever." Because neither can Harumafuji and he got the upgrade.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 26, 2013

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Harumafuji went 15-0 two times in a row, of course he got Yokozuna. Kisenosato should win back to back to become Yokozuna, instead he only has to win one and be Japanese.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

They could just pull a Kitao and promote him anyway.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Harumafuji went 15-0 two times in a row, of course he got Yokozuna. Kisenosato should win back to back to become Yokozuna, instead he only has to win one and be Japanese.

4 consecutive jun-yusho and then a yusho is pretty impressive, especially when there were 4 Ozeki, another Ozeki in the middle of a Yokozuna run, and possibly the most dominating Yokozuna in history. There's no doubt he should at least win it once, and convincingly, but given his past 2 years I have no problem giving it to him after "only" one yusho.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

4 consecutive jun-yusho and then a yusho is pretty impressive, especially when there were 4 Ozeki, another Ozeki in the middle of a Yokozuna run, and possibly the most dominating Yokozuna in history. There's no doubt he should at least win it once, and convincingly, but given his past 2 years I have no problem giving it to him after "only" one yusho.

Who went, by wins, 10, 11, 10 ,11, 14 (Yusho) against 5 Ozeki and the most dominating Yokozuna in history and wasn't even really considered?

Baruto

Its pretty much a double standard, sumo is pretty conservative so whatever, but its crazy to deny it.
Also two of the Ozeki are pretty old now and have been fighting with or sitting out with injuries. I would say we are looking forward to emergence of strong wrestlers from the ranks to take the place of those who we've recently lost.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I found another example of a non-promotion, 5 Ozeki at the time:

13 (j), 13 (playoff loss), 14 (Yusho), 13 (j)

Hakuho

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
kisenosato has been quite good in a very good era but i'll be a little ticked if he gets a yokozuna promotion without winning consecutive yusho regardless of his record otherwise. if he wins one and loses the next one to a yokozuna in a playoff, though, that might be ok.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

a false posted:

kisenosato has been quite good in a very good era but i'll be a little ticked if he gets a yokozuna promotion without winning consecutive yusho regardless of his record otherwise. if he wins one and loses the next one to a yokozuna in a playoff, though, that might be ok.

In that scenario, I think I'd be much happier with it happening in the opposite order. Almost win in playoff with a yokozuna then tournament win? That sounds much better to me than getting a promotion on the back of a loss.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

I found another example of a non-promotion, 5 Ozeki at the time:

13 (j), 13 (playoff loss), 14 (Yusho), 13 (j)

Hakuho

It really isn't much of a comparison between Baruto and Kisenosato - Kise has been far more consistent and for much longer. Baruto's problem was that he fell off immediately after his Yusho. I think if he had followed his 14-1 Yusho with a 14-1 or 13-2 Jun-Yusho, they would have at least talked about it, but his single Yusho was sandwiched around a bunch of mediocre non-contention.

However, that non-promotion for Hakuho is insane. I had no idea they were that strict with him in the beginning. And even worse, he followed up with an 8-7 performance and then missed an entire tournament, taking him back to square one. Wow. Safe to say he has since put it all together.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

It really isn't much of a comparison between Baruto and Kisenosato - Kise has been far more consistent and for much longer. Baruto's problem was that he fell off immediately after his Yusho. I think if he had followed his 14-1 Yusho with a 14-1 or 13-2 Jun-Yusho, they would have at least talked about it, but his single Yusho was sandwiched around a bunch of mediocre non-contention.

However, that non-promotion for Hakuho is insane. I had no idea they were that strict with him in the beginning. And even worse, he followed up with an 8-7 performance and then missed an entire tournament, taking him back to square one. Wow. Safe to say he has since put it all together.

Probably the worst is Musashimaru who was on his 5th Yusho and 10th Jun-Yusho with several playoff losses before he finally got the nod for Yokozuna. I also bone pick about this because a while ago they did promote rikishi to yokozuna on one yusho more regularly from the mid-80s on back, and there is a pretty strong correlation with winning two in a row and doing well, or just winning one then retiring a little while later after maybe 3 or 4 more yusho due to bad performance. The exception here is Wakanohana who's thigh exploded a little bit after getting the 2 in a row.

If he yushos twice in a row then hell go ahead but the rule has been working pretty well and just adhere to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just saw this on the sumo forums. Awesome. Also try dropping the Street View dude in the building and actually walk around inside. You can even go up to the dohyo if you go through the right door.