Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

There's a second less ambiguous ending. It's the one PE2 follows from actually.

Yeah, but you need to climb the goddamn Chrysler Building to get it, and like nobody did that. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, but you need to climb the goddamn Chrysler Building to get it, and like nobody did that. Ever.

Chrysler Building was the only place to get half the awesome gun-building stuff. :colbert:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

nine-gear crow posted:

I had to use cheat codes to even beat the post-game boss because the timing needed to beat it is loving ridiculous. And IIRC if you attacked it at the wrong time it'd do a massive heal that doubled each time.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

You know, the ending of the original Parasite Eve was good enough, I don't need either PEII or 3rd Birthday. I liked how ambiguous it was with the implication that Aya had turned into Eve reborn and everyone in the audience was like two seconds away from spontaneously combusting and starting the whole plot all over again before it slam-cut to the credits. That is how you end a video game, not Lightning wakes up and suddenly France.

PE was just a really campy scifi horror story to be honest, Final Fantasy meets Resident Evil basically. Not to say it was bad, but the "sanctity of the storyline" type of stuff is a bit silly for that genre.

But then again so is making a sequel like 3rd Birthday.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Syrant posted:

I've been trying to avoid spoilers but is there any word on how extensive Fang's involvement in XIII-3 is? That whole 30 second cutscene in XIII-2 was some serious bullshit. Please tell me she sticks around in some fashion.

She has an arc and joins you in battle for a short period (AI-controlled).

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

nine-gear crow posted:

I did it twice. :colbert:

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I'm still on the fence on whether I want to get Lightning Returns or not. My biggest worries are: A) the gameplay will be too easy or unsatisfying; and B) that the game won't have a lot of optional content.

I just completed the Platinum Trophy on FF13 and I realized that one of the big reasons why I enjoy that game so much is the post-game. It's a lot of fun leveling your characters up to crazy levels and taking on the hardest enemies. There was some post-game in FF13-2 but it wasn't nearly as challenging aside from some of the DLC battles. The battle system for Lightning Returns looks like a lot of fun and it'd be a shame if there wasn't enough challenge to truly sink one's teeth into the gameplay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supposedly there's a fair amount of optional content, a bunch of Last One hunts and so-on, but it's hard to tell how much of that will be post-game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Looks like FF4: The After Years is now out in English on iOS and, surprisingly, Android. Surprised it came out so quickly, really.

Think I'll pass on this one though.

e: Looks like finding Bands is a bit different.

quote:

- Band Abilities
Combine the strength of your party members to awesome effect with Band abilities that can be unlocked through in-game events or by leveling your characters' Affinity.

e2: The new art for the game is hilarious.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 25, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sure is great how all of the player characters on that are completely pointless plotwise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Sure is great how all of the player characters on that are completely pointless plotwise.

Look as part of the graphics overhaul and change to bands I'm sure they overhauled the plot so its way better. Whats that? They didn't? Well boy howdy that sure is some cover art of mechanically mediocre characters and the terrible non-villain of the game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Do not ever play After Years.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is The After Years the one where all the other Final Fantasy worlds were canon and lifeless husks as a result of the boss?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Barudak posted:

Look as part of the graphics overhaul and change to bands I'm sure they overhauled the plot so its way better.

I don't think it's even possible to improve TAY's plot. It manages to not only be lazy, but also so incredibly bad that the well is just completely tainted. You'd have to throw the whole thing out and write something new, and even that would probably suck if you try to keep all the characters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1st AD posted:

Is The After Years the one where all the other Final Fantasy worlds were canon and lifeless husks as a result of the boss?

Well only within the confines of its universe did it kill the others and only FFI-VI but yes. Its a throwaway reason to include bosses from other games that ends up reeking of the whole issue the TAY suffers from which is unearned self importance.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I couldn't help myself.

1st AD posted:

Yes. Gameplay's good if you liked FF4's battle system since it's more of that except with tons of boss fights that are actually interesting, but the story is nuts, as the game decides to wait until right before the final battle to tell you its plot. Until then, enjoy chasing down a drone with no personality for the entire game.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
After Years is OK, I rank it a little bit lower than IV, because despite the plot just being rushed and dumb in the last chapter, most of the previous chapters have some decent character moments (Palom's chapter in particular has better stuff than most of IV) and the gameplay is basically more of IV's only a little more interesting, like Mega64 said. I basically think of it as more postgame for IV.

And the drone gets some choice out-of-the-blue lines, like "Shut your face."

Wendell
May 11, 2003

There is nothing decent in the earlier chapters. They make you walk through the god drat water cave fifty times, and plot things happen only because they are references to the original game, not because they make any sense.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Oh yeah, gently caress everything Edward in TAY.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oh God, the graphics. I thought they would be slightly better when they're not restricted to the DS's awful 3D capabilities.

The Nintendo 64 had texture filtering in 1996. Even on the PSOne without any texture filtering though, Final Fantasy IX's character models poo poo all over these.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

By the way, the answer to Edge's dilemma is "No, you are not ready and in fact the lot of you are so terrible stat and ability wise you wouldn't even make a particularly memorable trash mob."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tell me that's not the same artist who did the After Years chapter title illustrations. There's no way that's the same artist. :psyduck:

That loving Sned posted:

Oh God, the graphics. I thought they would be slightly better when they're not restricted to the DS's awful 3D capabilities.

The Nintendo 64 had texture filtering in 1996. Even on the PSOne without any texture filtering though, Final Fantasy IX's character models poo poo all over these.

I never really minded the DS models, but looking at those pictures, I'm starting to see why people dislike them so much. There's something 'off', about them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Tell me that's not the same artist who did the After Years chapter title illustrations. There's no way that's the same artist. :psyduck:

My favorite part of that picture is everyone looking mortified at Ceodore's attempt at a heroic stance.

e: Also, the Android release actually got released simultaneously with the iOS one. Does this mean SE is finally going to stop sucking in terms of Android releases?

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 26, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mega64 posted:

e: Also, the Android release actually got released simultaneously with the iOS one. Does this mean SE is finally going to stop sucking in terms of Android releases?

I'm certain that if they ever release an actual worthwhile mobile game outside of Japan, such as Dragon Quest VIII or Final Fantasy Agito, they'll continue to not give a poo poo about Android users.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm almost positive it's the original Megaman 1 American cover artist.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

SE will always suck on Android; each OS update has the potential to break each and every game.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Why is the company that produced such beautiful 16 bit graphics now so dedicated to pumping out the ugliest, laziest visuals anyone's ever seen?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Theglavwen posted:

Why is the company that produced such beautiful 16 bit graphics now so dedicated to pumping out the ugliest, laziest visuals anyone's ever seen?
Probably because the 16 bit era was over 20 years ago and the entire staff and ethos has changed :(

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Matrix Software is making these ports, and Matrix is capable of making games with better graphics, but that costs money, and the goal is apparently to port them as cheaply as possible.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Ubiquitous_ posted:

She has an arc and joins you in battle for a short period (AI-controlled).

Ah, thanks. How long is an 'arc' exactly? Do we know all the outfits for the series? Like, if there will be outfits aside from Cloud's attire and Yuna's outfit? I'd like to see Lightning run around a kick rear end in Snow's coat or Fang's sari and such.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 26, 2013

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Syrant posted:

Ah, thanks. How long is an 'arc' exactly? Do we know all the outfits for the series? Like, if there will be outfits aside from Cloud's attire and Yuna's outfit? I'd like to see Lightning run around a kick rear end in Snow's coat or Fang's sari and such.

There have been a few posted in the thread, such as Locke's Amano outfit and Setzer's outfit. There's at least 80 costumes I think, so I'm sure there will be more throwbacks to find.

An 'arc' is probably an entire questline, so probably a few hours max depending. Every character more or less has a role to play through the entire game.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

There's a demo out for Gaga Returns: Final Fantasy XIII on the Japanese PSN if anyone's interested.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
While we're discussing After Years, how's the FFIV iOS port compared to the DS one? I sold my copy of that after the dungeon where you meet Edge made me hit a brick wall in terms of battle difficulty. Did they adjust anything to make it more forgiving?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Listen okay I need to know if Fang and Vanille kiss DO THEY KISS.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Gaseous Snake posted:

There's a demo out for Gaga Returns: Final Fantasy XIII on the Japanese PSN if anyone's interested.

Yeah. I don't think I'll ever spend money on this game. Ever.

Can I wear a Chocobo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gaseous Snake posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that someone on staff has an armpit fetish. Yeah, that's a thing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Listen okay I need to know if Fang and Vanille kiss DO THEY KISS.

They're about to, and then they see Lightning staring at them, wearing one of her many crimes against fashion, and it puts them off. :v:

"Sorry, Vanille, I can't. The Moogles on Light's suit are judging me."
*Anime noise of disappointment*

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that someone on staff has an armpit fetish. Yeah, that's a thing.

No fetish shaming please.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gaseous Snake posted:

That's actually a pretty amazing outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Gaseous Snake posted:

Ugghh. The oversized scowling head on top of the malnourished pre-teen proportioned body is hilarious without even taking the outfit into account. Is it even possible to have a less appealing art style, I wonder.

It's funny how every bit of media released makes me less and less interested in this game. (my interest was already zero) The aesthetic is just so blah and it's really weird how they want to make Lightning into this pioneer of Strong Female Final Fantasy Characters and treat her like a sex object at the same time.