Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Well I'm really thick tonight I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Anyway, here is a question: Is there anything actually stopping Hinata from just jamming furniture in front of his door if the lock is broken?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ettin posted:

Anyway, here is a question: Is there anything actually stopping Hinata from just jamming furniture in front of his door if the lock is broken?

He spent all his free time hanging out with people. He has no more time left to put furniture on the door.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ettin posted:

Look at his frame, then look at all the pushing and pulling he'll have to do every time he wants to block his door. That's murder on the lower back.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He would rather die than engage in physical exercise. I think we can all relate to that.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Maybe it opens outwards, so he can't jam it from the inside. Monobear thinks ahead.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

HellCopter posted:

Maybe it opens outwards, so he can't jam it from the inside. Monobear thinks ahead.

I've never seen an inwardly opening front door in my life, and I hope they're not a thing anywhere. It could be outright dangerous in a fire.

Also makes it harder for swat teams to bash it in!

vvv Spread fire hazard awareness today and turn your door around

tiistai fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 23, 2013

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've never seen an outwardly opening front door in my life, and I guess I'm going to die in a fire one day.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

HMS Boromir posted:

I've never seen an outwardly opening front door in my life, and I guess I'm going to die in a fire one day.

This. It is probably a cultural thing, but here in Germany I have never seen or heard of an outwardly opening front door.

I am kind of torn. The key/locked door plot was used in the first murder of DR1, so it is kind of unlikely to be used again. On the other hand, why destroy the lock if it will not be part of the plot later?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I am kind of torn. The key/locked door plot was used in the first murder of DR1, so it is kind of unlikely to be used again. On the other hand, why destroy the lock if it will not be part of the plot later?
Red herring?

I doubt the game would kill off its protagonist halfway through, but if Hinata dies in his room, the lock would immediately be suspected as a factor even if it actually wasn't.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 23, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tiistai posted:

I've never seen an inwardly opening front door in my life, and I hope they're not a thing anywhere. It could be outright dangerous in a fire.

Even in a private residence?

I wouldnt be surprised to see a bungalow go either way.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

orenronen posted:

Please choose your words carefully if you're going to answer this question. We don't want to upset slowbeef after this thread has been on good behaviour for quite a while.

Amazingly, it got reported. Weird, because I chuckled when I saw the picture.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

tiistai posted:

Also makes it harder for swat teams to bash it in!

vvv Spread fire hazard awareness today and turn your door around

An outward-opening front door is a much more mundane danger to visitors. Or, if your front door is close to a path or corridor, pedestrians.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
...I think I am just now realizing that Nidai doesn't have lightning coming from his eyes all the time.

He just has weird eyebrows.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
Re: doors
Regardless of whether Hinata's door opens either way, there's probably no way to effectively barricade it against the various muscleheads we have in the group who can just break it down (Nidai, Akane, Gundamahahahahaha).

Gensuki posted:

...I think I am just now realizing that Nidai doesn't have lightning coming from his eyes all the time.

Pretty sure his eyebrows are made of lightning.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Gensuki posted:

I'm pretty sure he does have lightning coming from his eyes all the time.

I also just noticed that his body also seems to have an electrical effect around his shoulders and sleeves, too.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
What's interesting is that the lightning bolts always seem to have the same shape -- they split and bend around the same way, regardless of what pose he's in. The one exception that I noticed came in the first school trial:

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...
Those kind of manly, EXTREME characters that often pop up in shonen manga use cheesy effects like lightning and their shoulders 'bristling' to show how intense they are, but generally only for one panel or so. His entire appearance is a parody of that; I'm thinking specifically Fist of the North Star which is known for being ridiculously over the top in that regard. His appreciating of the gift he received about '708 pathways' in the human body could possibly be a reference to that too. (FotNS features a martial art style that makes use of targeting these 'pathways' to kill or heal). (Or I could be looking too deeply into it)

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
This game is a walking reference machine. It's also a walking parody machine. You're probably right on the money.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Does anyone have the wallpaper of Monobear's face? I beleive it was posted in this or the previous LP thread.

Coco Bear
Feb 16, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Does anyone have the wallpaper of Monobear's face? I beleive it was posted in this or the previous LP thread.

This one?

skepsipol
Jan 1, 2013

I was born for this.

TKMobile posted:

I can't wait to see who's at the door, but I also keep drifting back, thinking about how Hinata's lock was broken. Was Ibuki responsible? Was someone else trying to break in for other reasons?

Mioda actually admitted to being responsible for breaking the lock without even being directly accused.

orenronen posted:

Honestly, Hajime-chan. You don't care much for your personal safety, do you?
I'm... pretty sure I locked my door last night.
You sure did! And Ibuki broke the lock!
Why the hell would you do that?!

Apollo Justice
Apr 28, 2013

Believe me, any comic relief I may provide is entirely unintentional.

Endorph posted:

Red herring?

I doubt the game would kill off its protagonist halfway through, but if Hinata dies in his room, the lock would immediately be suspected as a factor even if it actually wasn't.

Red herrings are certainly DR's bread and butter, but if it isn't it means that Mioda will be either murdered, the next murderer, or falsely accused of being the next murderer. That or it has some random meaning to the case and is only associated with Mioda by coincidence. That too wouldn't surprise me at this point with DR's general approach at the story telling. I guess we'll just have to see.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Apollo Justice posted:

Red herrings are certainly DR's bread and butter, but if it isn't it means that Mioda will be either murdered, the next murderer, or falsely accused of being the next murderer. That or it has some random meaning to the case and is only associated with Mioda by coincidence. That too wouldn't surprise me at this point with DR's general approach at the story telling. I guess we'll just have to see.

Or, maybe, it was a Funny Joke.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Or, maybe, it was a Funny Joke.

Hinata's lock being broken is too specific a detail and too obviously applicable to a murder mystery scenario for it to have absolutely no relevance. I wouldn't count on Mioda necessarily factoring into the case, though; she certainly could, but the fact that the lock is broken may be the only thing that matters rather than the way it was broken in the first place.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Opposing Farce posted:

Hinata's lock being broken is too specific a detail and too obviously applicable to a murder mystery scenario for it to have absolutely no relevance. I wouldn't count on Mioda necessarily factoring into the case, though; she certainly could, but the fact that the lock is broken may be the only thing that matters rather than the way it was broken in the first place.

Basically this. I think if the game was trying to go for a funny joke, it coulda gone something like "Monobear let me in! Don't worry, Ibuki promised she wouldn't murder Hajime-chan!"

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm pretty sure he does have lightning coming from his eyes all the time.

I also just noticed that his body also seems to have an electrical effect around his shoulders and sleeves, too.

I wonder if he dies will he keep his electric effects.

Powerful in life and death, or something to that extent.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

TopHatGenius posted:

Nidai is actually a robot, and runs off of an internal generator that creates the lightning as a byproduct of his general function. The lightning dies with him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

alcharagia posted:

Nidai is actually a robot, and runs off of an internal generator that creates the lightning as a byproduct of his general function. The lightning dies with him.

Nah, he'll be rebuilt into a cyborg in Hyper Dangan Ronpa 4 and become the lightning in the rain. :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TopHatGenius posted:

If he dies I am sure they will just plug him up to the generator and never have to worry about energy ever again.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Four Dark Gods are running on wheels to power Nidai's special effects.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Yes, thanks.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ready for anything, I cautiously opened the door...

Re: Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

Nice to have met you!

Get it? Ibuki used the perfect tense to describe an event thats already taken place!
Mioda... What is it this time...?

Let Ibuki deeply apologise for this surprise visit...

Ibuki's vewwy vewwy sowwy!
Well, I guess I should be thankful you didnt just break in... again.

Jeez, you sure can hold a grudge, Hajime-chan! Ibuki's ears are burning... her joints, too!

...No, that's probably just gout.

...So? What do you want?

Um... Ibuki has special invitations for everyone! ...For some reason!
...Invitations?

Heres yours!

Wow... whats with this handwriting? Looks like someones trying a bit too hard...

Um... "A welcome back party for Kuzuryuu, tonight at 9:00, at the Titty Typhoon"?
What the hell? Is Monobear up to something again?

That's rude! Ibuki's nothing like Monobear!
...So you're up to something?

W...Well... how should Ibuki put it... S...She's not really sure...
Ibuki's just here... to deliver this invitation. That's all...

Yep. It's all her.

Well, Ibuki still has lots of preparations to make! See you around!

Music fades out

Definitely all her.

The Titty Typhoon... That's the music club on the third island, right?

Wait, 9 o'clock...? That's in half an hour!

Still... a welcome back party for Kuzuryuu? Is this... really a good time for that...?
The guy stabbed himself in the stomach this morning... Will he even be able to attend?

Hmm... at least her hearts in the right place. Maybe I should at least show up...

Party time! (Again)

Beautiful Ruin

Komaeda... Did Mioda invite you too?

Yep. It was a great honor. But, see, since this party is for Kuzuryuu-kun's return...

...I think it would be very impudent of me to go in ahead of everyone else.

So don't worry about me, Hinata-kun. Go on ahead.

...I wasn't planning on worrying.

Hmhmhm... The constellations are aligned, and the banquet set to begin...

Fwahahaha! All is in readiness!

Let this ceremony of darkness begin!

On second thoughts, Ill just leave him be.

There were already several people inside the club when I entered, including...

K...Kuzuryuu?! You're here?!

Why? Do you hate me that much?
That's not what I meant... Is it okay for you to move about?

...Yeah. It was nothing.

I...It wasn't nothing! No one should have that many wounds!

Besides... I was invited to a party. I couldn't just refuse.

I understand perfectly how you feel, but... in your situation, you mustnt overexert yourself!

It's not that bad, really...

Fine. Do as you please.

B...But...

Just let him be. After all, the yakuza value endurance.

Its funny... Before, he wouldnt be seen dead at a party, no matter how many people invited him...

But now... even in his wounded state, he made an effort to come...

I guess he's doing his best to change... in his own way.

Saionji-san isn't coming, though, right?

...So it seems.

Owari-san isn't here either.

Mu. What is that shrew up to? I just hope its not something reckless...

Suddenly...

Music fades out

* flash *

...Oh, my!

The stage lights flared on, and a figure walked into view...

Beautiful Days [Piano Arrange]

Thanks for coming this evening! The name's Ibuki Mioda!
You know? Ibuki can make really good nikujaga.
Ha ha, homelier than you expected, huh? Ibuki gets that a lot.

Nikujaga is a staple Japanese winter dish of stewed meat and potatoes. It's one of those dishes you're more likely to find in homes rather than in a restaurant. It's easy to make and really good, so go look up a recipe!

Tonight, Ibuki's going to sing her heart out to lift everyone's spirits! Time to get excited, everyone!

So that's what this was all about...

I guess this was inevitable. If you give a Super High-school Level Light Music Club Member an actual music club, theres only so many possible outcomes.

Let's get straight to the first song!
Here we go -- "Let My Feelings Reach You Too!"

They say her girl band was poised to take the world by storm...

...This might actually not be bad!

Let My Feelings Reach You Too

Observant readers may have noticed the game letting us skip Ibuki's performance by pushing the triangle button. We are not doing that. No, the proper way to enjoy this LP is to click the music link above and listen to it from start to finish while looking at the screen image before scrolling down and continuing reading. Here -- I'll even provide a handy gap to prevent accidental scrolling.

I listened twice!

Thank you, thank you!

Re: Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
WE'RE BEING CURSED!!

W...What foul sorcery...! The Four Dark Gods of Destruction can endure no more!

I...I feel a chill, too...!

I thought it was going to be a soothing love song! It's called "Let My Feelings Reach You Too"!
U...Um... What was the reason Mioda broke up with her band...?

It was... "creative differences"... wasnt it?

That explains so much.

Music stops

Yaaaaay! That was amazing! I've never heard such a great song in my life!
S...Saionji?!

Beautiful Ruin

Ah, you came after all?

I...Is that so strange...? I was invited, wasnt I...?

But... this is Kuzuryuu-san's welcome back party... So, if you're here...
Does that mean you've...?

D...Don't be stupid... It's not like I can forgive him that easily...

He's yakuza, isn't he? Deceiving and exploiting peoples just what his lot does.
It's so obvious his regrets are fake. He's just trying to deceive us!

...That can't be true.

But it's natural she'd think that way...

Yep, it's natural. So remember, we don't trust you.
Do you get it? This is not a reconciliation. I'm just going to work with you while we're stuck on this island.

...What?

Just keep in mind... when worst comes to worst, you're the first one we're throwing to the wolves.

I can accept that...

Uyuu... Thank god... Oh, thank god...

Don't you dare cry! Pigs like you have no right to! It's gross!

Looks like its not just Kuzuryuu who's trying to change...

She is too.

Just a short while ago, she would never have forgiven Kuzuryuu, even in the strange way she did just now.

Hey, what are you looking at?
N...Nothing...

Somehow... I feel I can see hints of a brighter future. Even if only faintly...
But... that just makes our biggest problem even more worrying.

Monobear.

When he sees us like this... what will he do? Somehow, I dont think hed just leave us alone...

So, how long are we going to keep being gloomy?! Were here to party, arent we?!

C'mon, big sis Mioda! I want another song!

Roger! Let's move straight on to the second song!
...What? There's more?
Since this turned into a real welcome back party, Ibuki has a special ballad for this special occasion...
Here we go, our next song: "I Had Fun Giving Birth But I Don't Know Who the Father Is"!

E - N - O - U - G - H!!

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

W...Wait! What are you doing, everyone?!
Whoa! Monomi!

Hey, don't interfere! We were having such a nice party until you showed up!

A party...? But no one invited me...

Kyahahaha! Of course not! Why would we just ruin the party like that?

Sniff... Ive been wejected...

...Wait! Now's not the time for that!
This is not the time for partying!
D...Did something happen?

I...It's Owari-san... Owari-san just...

Owari-san just challenged Monobear to a duel!

Special addendum: Let's sing along with Ibuki!

"Let My Feelings Reach You Too!" Words/Music/Vocals: Ibuki Mioda
"Kimi ni mo Todoke!"

code:
Anata ni okutta kyouhakujou             I sent you a threatening letter
Aburimoji de I LOVE YOU                 And added "I LOVE YOU" in invisible ink
Dakedo anata ni wa todokanai            But it doesn't reach you.
Ushi no kokumairi no waraningyou        The straw doll I prepared in the hour of the Ox
Watashi wo mite waratteru               Is looking at me, laughing
Kerakerakerakera waratteru              Cackling, cackling, cackling and laughing.
Omune ni sashita gosunkugi              I thrust a spike into its chest
Kanazuchi nigitte konkonkon             A hammer in my hand, and bang bang bang
Zamaa miro to konkonkon                 Serves you right! Bang bang bang
Kon kon kon                             Bang. Bang. Bang.
Chimoji de kaita kon'intodoke           I signed our marriage registration with letters of blood
Konya posuto ni iremashita              And put it in your mailbox tonight.
Ano yo de kyoshiki wo okonaimashou      Let's have the ceremony in that other world
Okonaimashou okonaimashou               Let's have it. Let's have it.
Todoke todoke kono omoi                 Let my feelings reach.
Kimi ni mo todoke kono omoi             Let my feelings reach you too.
For some context on those deep lyrics, read this article. In fact, read it anyway. It's fascinating stuff.

Your tireless amateur localization editor has gone above and beyond the call of duty and attempted to, er, localize the song so it maintains something that kinda resembles a rhyming scheme and meter and everything.

Disclaimer: I am so, totally, utterly out of my depth here.

Second Disclaimer: This version replaces most of Ibukis 1/16ths with 1/12ths.

The letter I sent you expressing my rage,
confessing my love on the back of the page,
has disappeared, never to reach your hands.
In the hour of the Ox, at a shinboku tree,
a doll with your face looks up at me,
and laughs, and laughs, and laughs.

I hold a spike firmly in the middle of the chest,
I draw back the hammer and bang bang bang,
You bought this on yourself. Bang bang bang.
Bang! Bang! Bang!

Our marriage is sealed, the vows have been planned,
theyre written in blood and delivered by hand,
the ceremony to be held in that other world.
In that other world. In that other world.
Let my feelings reach,
Let my feelings reach you too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
So, Oowari is going to commit suicide then? Okay, if she insists. She's been warned repeatedly.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
No wonder Ibuki hates bass players, the bass was the best part of that.

:colbert:

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Is Ibuki channelling Johannes Krauser II because if so I would definitely get behind that.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I have to admit, I didn't think "creative differences" implied "Death Metal".

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

orenronen posted:

Nice to have met you!

Get it? Ibuki used the perfect tense to describe an event thats already taken place!

What was the original Japanese for this one?

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
I looked up a recipe for nikujaga, and it looks drat delicious. I may have to try making it sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

HMS Boromir posted:

What was the original Japanese for this one?

"Hajimemashita"

• Locked thread