Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Yeah, Kotetsushin Jeeg isn't the sort of thing you need to go out of your way to watch. It's ok fun in some parts but doesn't have a lot of substance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Go for Turn A. Like everyone says it's not bad but won't really fill you up either. I'm going to be on a plane for 11 hours on Wednesday so I'm going to start up my second playthrough of SRW Z2.2.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCY-M2RdE_g

Show of the season I tells ya.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm just waiting for the SRW spinoff.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Oh no. It's not just Mazingers.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I haven't paid much attention to the show, so I didn't realize there was gonna be way more than just the Mazingers. I feel obligated to watch this show, yet at the same time I'm depressed that it's still not Shin Great Mazinger, drat it. It better at least be funny. :negative:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

No guys don't you see they are doing this to fund Shin Great Mazinger and Shin Grandizer. All our dreams are going to come true. Please don't break me out of my fantasy world.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Ethiser posted:

No guys don't you see they are doing this to fund Shin Great Mazinger and Shin Grandizer. All our dreams are going to come true. Please don't break me out of my fantasy world.

Maybe we'll also get Baratack, Danguard A, and Gakeen in a SRW game as well. I wanna join you in this fantasy world where this show's success funds Shin Great Mazinger and ushers in a newfound interest in super robot shows. :(

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Mercury Crusader posted:

I haven't paid much attention to the show, so I didn't realize there was gonna be way more than just the Mazingers. I feel obligated to watch this show, yet at the same time I'm depressed that it's still not Shin Great Mazinger, drat it. It better at least be funny. :negative:

I don't really mean to pry, but why exactly do you feel obligated to watch this?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

I don't really mean to pry, but why exactly do you feel obligated to watch this?

Super Robot References (tm)

As long as it stays in the realm of "gag comedy" rather than "girls drinking tea or whatever" then it should be fine I guess.

Now that I think about it, is this the first time in like decades that anybody bothered referencing Gakeen, Baratack, and Danguard A?

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 1, 2013

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I kind of hope the include some of the jokes from the Gaiking, Gakeen and Baratack comic strip.

Ethiser posted:

Hate to brake it to you but Toei didn't have anything to do with Shin except for distribution in Latin America.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Super Robot References (tm)

As long as it stays in the realm of "gag comedy" rather than "girls drinking tea or whatever" then it should be fine I guess.

That's pretty much how I feel on this. It hasn't offended me yet, so I'm willing to give it a pass. That they seem to have put some effort into the animation based on that trailer is weirding the poo poo out of me, though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I liked that original short they put out (The one where the Mazinger girls destroyed half the city to stop some shoplifters) so if the others are just as amusing then I'm game.

Plus it's not gonna be a big time commitment anyways, it's just 9 shorts at 10 minutes each.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
At last, a super robot show that will make money.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So in a fit of sheer random, myself and best friend watched Mazinkaiser SKL and had a loving blast with it. Plot wise it was dumb as hell but the fight scenes, animation and music were more than enough to make up for it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah SKL loving rules. It's just an hour and a half of Go Nagai being insane and it's incredibly fun.

e: It's basically Warhammer 40000 filtered through Go Nagai.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 9, 2013

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah SKL loving rules. It's just an hour and a half of Go Nagai being insane and it's incredibly fun.

e: It's basically Warhammer 40000 filtered through Go Nagai.

Each episode was us just going holy poo poo at the fights and wondering how batshit the next episode would be.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nobody posted that Da Garn fansubs are done? Well, time to fix that.

I stalled at the halfway point and decided to wait until the subs finished before continuing. Gonna be fun to get back to that show.

So for 2013 as far as completed fansubs go it looks like Da Garn has finished and Giant Gorg will most likely get finished since they have only 2 episodes left. Anything else?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

A bunch of Patlabor movie production images came out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It looks promising. Is there any word on who's on the project?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think Oshii is director on episode 1 and the movie the series is supposed to lead into.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So in a fit of sheer random, myself and best friend watched Mazinkaiser SKL and had a loving blast with it. Plot wise it was dumb as hell but the fight scenes, animation and music were more than enough to make up for it.

SKL is great. I think my favourite part is the opening with Captain Scarlet.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

It looks promising. Is there any word on who's on the project?
Kenji Kawai is doing the music. Erina Mano is playing the lead and Shigeru Chiba is reprising his role from the anime.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Can't wait for extended shots of beagles and food

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

And now we have a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jtJbK_GJWA

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Oh, huh. I guess I didn't know it was called Next Generation. Is it a sequel series?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah, takes place several decades after the original series.

Shige is the only returning character (and played by the guy who voiced him in the show to boot). Though a bunch of characters are said to be a bit similar to their old counterparts.

I am a bit wary of this but since Oshii is involved I think it has an okay chance of not being terrible.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The official site for Captain Earth is up along with a preview of the show.

http://captain-earth.net/

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Guyver posted:

The official site for Captain Earth is up along with a preview of the show.

http://captain-earth.net/

Took me longer than it should to notice the hat on the mecha's head.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am already aboard(yo ho) with any giant robot that also wears a hat.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

The design of that robot has sold me on this show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
it does look pretty swish, yeah. I like the little corporate logos, too.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Captain Earth certainly looks very nice, which is enough to give it a chance.

I do selfishly wish they had chosen a different color scheme, if only for variety's sake.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I know it's a dumb idea, but I really have been toying around with a rewatch of Blue Gender. I'm finishing Turn A this week and kinda want a sharp contrast in every single way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So I know it's a dumb idea, but I really have been toying around with a rewatch of Blue Gender. I'm finishing Turn A this week and kinda want a sharp contrast in every single way.

... why? Do you hate good things that much?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

... why? Do you hate good things that much?

Honestly I wanted a decent terrestrial defense against man eating aliens in anime to go along with contrast. My choices aren't exactly huge with that niche genre.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Given that the choices I can think of are Blue Gender and Muv Luv: Total Eclipse, you're probably right.

I guess you could try Tekkaman Blade, it's a similar set up but completely different tone wise. But it's actually good too.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Just watch Attack on Titan and pretend the Titans are aliens and the 3D Maneuver Gear is Power Armor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sakurazuka posted:

Given that the choices I can think of are Blue Gender and Muv Luv: Total Eclipse, you're probably right.

I guess you could try Tekkaman Blade, it's a similar set up but completely different tone wise. But it's actually good too.

Tekkaman Blade is a great show to watch if you want to depress yourself. People who thought the end of Z Gundam or V Gundam in general are hallmarks of depressing mecha shows haven't seen poo poo if they haven't seen the extended documentary on how you make your main character's life suck about as thoroughly as is possible that is Tekkaman Blade.

I still love it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Honestly I wanted a decent terrestrial defense against man eating aliens in anime to go along with contrast. My choices aren't exactly huge with that niche genre.

Dai-Guard. :v:

• Locked thread