Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Any tips on how to get my cat to stop throwing up food all over the house right before meal times? Is it the food? The scheduled feeing time? Also, how do I get dried Cat vomit off of hardwood floors?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Any tips on how to get my cat to stop throwing up food all over the house right before meal times? Is it the food? The scheduled feeing time? Also, how do I get dried Cat vomit off of hardwood floors?

My cats seem to barf when:

Scarfing dry food
+Drinking lots of water because all that dry food made them thirsty

If your water and food bowls are near each other, you might move them apart. That helped mine out, although they are still prone to random barfs because it is their nature as cats.

As for the dried vomit, soak a wash rag in warm water and wring it out a little, then set it over the vomit for a few minutes. Hopefully that will soften the vomit enough to wipe it up. There is also a Nature's Miracle made for hard surfaces, and that works pretty well for me.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
What's a good quality diet that's low in protein and isn't made with chicken? I'm pretty sure my cat has some sort of kidney disease. :( It took me forever to find a food that he could tolerate (Natural Balance- Duck).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Another question about my new cat. He seems to be very happy with his dry food but doesn't eat any of his canned food. He is almost 5 years old and I'm his second owner. I've given him a good variety but he doesn't eat any of it. Might he be trained to just eat dry food?

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson

cheerfullydrab posted:

Another question about my new cat. He seems to be very happy with his dry food but doesn't eat any of his canned food. He is almost 5 years old and I'm his second owner. I've given him a good variety but he doesn't eat any of it. Might he be trained to just eat dry food?

In my many cat-sitting jobs, I've met a surprising number of cats who just don't care about wet food, even a little. It blows my mind because my cat will try to climb you if you open a can and do not put it in front of his face within 10 seconds, and cry pitifully until you do. But some cats - even some I've known since they were tiny kitties - just don't care. It's weird... but so are cats.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Butts runs into the kitchen and begs when he hears a can but doesn't seem to care about wet food. There are three different kinds (Weruva Fowl Ball, Hound & Gatos Lamb, and Nature's Variety Duck) that he'll at least eat but only if I take his crunchy poo poo away.

Every other cat I've known acted like wet food was crack. I don't get it. :shrug:

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir

cheerfullydrab posted:

My cat will eat wet food on occasion, but he prefers kibble for whatever reason. He just stops eating after a while if he gets only wet.

I've resorted to feeding the best dry food I can afford and jazzing up some nights with a can of wet food. I also leave out a ton of water for him.

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Also, how do I get dried Cat vomit off of hardwood floors?

I cover puke with litter when it's fresh, and then I sweep it up when it dries or clumps completely. Then I windex the spot to get rid of extra residue. This is probably extra work for me, but I am fine with this because I don't like touching wet puke through a paper towel.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yes every cat I've ever seen just goes nuts like you all are describing. This one was playing with a toy near the food dishes and walked through his wet food like it didn't exist. It's very alien to me. But I guess that means no being woken up by whining for meals.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mongoloid Joe posted:

I cover puke with litter when it's fresh, and then I sweep it up when it dries or clumps completely. Then I windex the spot to get rid of extra residue. This is probably extra work for me, but I am fine with this because I don't like touching wet puke through a paper towel.

Most of his pukes happen during the day and are dry by the time I get home from work. Cleaning up the wet stuff is much easier.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
So, my fiance brought home a cat. and I hate this cat. with all parts me that can hate cats.

he works at a cave with zip lining in repelling. This cat was found about to commit kitty suicide off the zip platform. So he brought it home "temporarily" but it's still here. He is an unfixed male who I think has worms. He stresses me out. I dont know why. I don't know if it is the number of animals in the house or what. We have a 1 1/2 year old cat that it's a bitch but overall pretty chill and a 1 y/o yorkie. He seems to stress out the other animal as well.

I've told my fiance several times but I don't want the cat, but it continues to stay here. I don't know what to do about it.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Does anyone have a cat with CRF? How long can they be expected to live? My cat is 4 and has a creatine of 2.4...Which makes him stage 2. Pretty upset about this. :(

Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

I think my cat has herpes, but I'm not sure whether or not to take him to the vet. I got him a week ago from a shelter, and he seemed fine then. But over the past few days he's started sneezing a lot, and his eyes have started running. The eye discharge is clear- there is no yellow or green mucous or eye boogers- and his nose seems to be fine. He is peeing, pooping, eating, and drinking normally, and does not appear to have a headache or fever. I found a website that said that unless he's showing any of those symptoms, I there was no need to take him, but I wanted to ask here anyway.
Should I take my cat to the vet?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zandorv posted:

I think my cat has herpes, but I'm not sure whether or not to take him to the vet. I got him a week ago from a shelter, and he seemed fine then. But over the past few days he's started sneezing a lot, and his eyes have started running. The eye discharge is clear- there is no yellow or green mucous or eye boogers- and his nose seems to be fine. He is peeing, pooping, eating, and drinking normally, and does not appear to have a headache or fever. I found a website that said that unless he's showing any of those symptoms, I there was no need to take him, but I wanted to ask here anyway.
Should I take my cat to the vet?

It might be worth taking the cat to the vet. There's a LOT of infections, viral and bacterial, that can cause those symptoms. Many can be treated or controlled, and you'll feel like an rear end in a top hat when a year down the line it turns out the cat had Bordetella the whole time that could have been wiped out with antibiotics.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Maximusi posted:

Does anyone have a cat with CRF? How long can they be expected to live? My cat is 4 and has a creatine of 2.4...Which makes him stage 2. Pretty upset about this. :(

I had a cat in CRF, and I see lots of cats at work in CRF, but they're usually 12+ years old. We had one cat who was 3 or 4 in CRF, but she had some weird shaped cystic kidneys.

I mean, in elderly cats with CRF they can live a good amount of years - my cat lived about 5 years with at-home supportive care. For a younger cat, I'm not sure.

Also, my question - I'm a bad catmom and switched their food over abruptly. They scarfed the food down for two days, then got soft stool (duh) and are kind of disinterested. Can I just keep feeding them their new food and they'll recover?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Shnooks posted:

I had a cat in CRF, and I see lots of cats at work in CRF, but they're usually 12+ years old. We had one cat who was 3 or 4 in CRF, but she had some weird shaped cystic kidneys.

I mean, in elderly cats with CRF they can live a good amount of years - my cat lived about 5 years with at-home supportive care. For a younger cat, I'm not sure.

My sister had a weird-shaped kidney CRF cat that was diagnosed around 3. She lived to 7, I think, with at-home subq fluids at least a couple times a week for the last couple of years.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
My cat has polycystic kidney disease. I've been upset all day. My doctor says it's early stage, his creatine levels are at 2.4 but everything else is normal. My cat has no symptoms at all, the only reason I caught this was because I was going to do some routine dental cleaning. The idea of him lasting only a few more years makes me want to cry. My doctor said that it really depends on how fast the disease progresses. :smith:

brettster55
Aug 7, 2013

Just to add a comment for the biting, our kitten used to play bite and we tried the above techniques to stop it. It never worked but our cat now playfully bites sort of like a dog. So don't be worried so much if they are biting.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

So, my fiance brought home a cat. and I hate this cat. with all parts me that can hate cats.

he works at a cave with zip lining in repelling. This cat was found about to commit kitty suicide off the zip platform. So he brought it home "temporarily" but it's still here. He is an unfixed male who I think has worms. He stresses me out. I dont know why. I don't know if it is the number of animals in the house or what. We have a 1 1/2 year old cat that it's a bitch but overall pretty chill and a 1 y/o yorkie. He seems to stress out the other animal as well.

I've told my fiance several times but I don't want the cat, but it continues to stay here. I don't know what to do about it.

Haul that cat to the vet and get it fixed. This might fix a lot of problems you're experiencing with the cat's behavior/attitude. The vet can also get the possible worms issue taken care of.

If that doesn't help settle your house, then calmly lay out the reasons you're unhappy with the arrangement and look for foster homes or a new owner. I hope either the cat adjusts to your household or he finds a good, permanent home.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
My cat is fat. Specifically, when I got her she was ~18 lbs. I switched her food from what her old owners fed her (Natural Balance dry) to Blue Buffalo Weight Control dry and over a couple months her weight dropped to 16.6 lbs. I've been feeding her 1/2 a cup in the morning, and 1/2 a cup in the evening. If I suddenly drop it to 1/3 cup per feeding time, would she still get the proper nutrition she needs, or should I gradually lower it over time?

Also, I think she didn't like her previous owners or something. They couldn't get her to interact with any toys while they were around, and she wouldn't touch any wet food or tuna. She does all those things now and they are kind of jealous :3:

brettster55
Aug 7, 2013

I sometimes wish my cat was fat, shes too nimble and gets into places an overweight cat couldn't dream about going.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Lenin posted:

My cat is fat. Specifically, when I got her she was ~18 lbs. I switched her food from what her old owners fed her (Natural Balance dry) to Blue Buffalo Weight Control dry and over a couple months her weight dropped to 16.6 lbs. I've been feeding her 1/2 a cup in the morning, and 1/2 a cup in the evening. If I suddenly drop it to 1/3 cup per feeding time, would she still get the proper nutrition she needs, or should I gradually lower it over time?

Also, I think she didn't like her previous owners or something. They couldn't get her to interact with any toys while they were around, and she wouldn't touch any wet food or tuna. She does all those things now and they are kind of jealous :3:

Man, when my cat ate exclusively dry she got 1/2 cup kibble a day, over two meals. Now she gets 1/4 since I give her wet also. I'm not a vet but your fat cat will be completely fine going to 1/3 twice a day.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Hummingbirds posted:

Man, when my cat ate exclusively dry she got 1/2 cup kibble a day, over two meals. Now she gets 1/4 since I give her wet also. I'm not a vet but your fat cat will be completely fine going to 1/3 twice a day.

Good to hear it'll be okay, wasn't sure if cutting her food intake down by 1/3 cup a day immediately would be fine. I keep worrying I'm going to somehow break her over something small, haha. She's been a lot more active since switching her dry food and getting Da Bird, so hopefully I can get her to shed another 6.6 lbs eventually!

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

My kitten has wonky teeth!

We adopted a pair of kittens from the RSPCA last month - this day last month actually, they've been home exactly four weeks. They're now sixteen weeks old and alternating between most adorable balls of fluff in existence and hyperactive little jerkfaces. They've settled in incredibly well, eat and poop like champs(I have never been so glad to watch a kitten poo poo in a box as I was that first night) and mostly scratch the correct things, et cetera. That's all great.

What my partner noticed a few days ago is that one kitten(Loki, the black one) has some wonky teeth. His right canines on the top and bottom are at odd angles - the lower one juts outwards(this is how we noticed; he has persistent snaggletooth) and the upper one is angled inwards a bit. His upper lip has what looks like a teeny callus where the lower tooth has been rubbing against it - it doesn't look sore or inflamed, just... like a callus - and the lower lip is pulled back a bit, Two-Face style(but tinier and cuter).

He doesn't seem in pain or bothered by it at all, he's been eating fine and is the most remarkably tolerant cat I've ever met with how patient he is about me examining his mouth, but I'm just concerned that it might cause him some issues. We're taking them to the vet tomorrow for their vaccinations and I'll ask the vet to take a look at it then, so I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that my little kitty is okay :3:

lovely photo of the pair attached. Cinnamon is the torbie girl kitten and Loki is the black boy kitten. I am so in love with these two, even if their poops do smell like they came straight from hell.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

floofyscorp posted:

My kitten has wonky teeth!

We adopted a pair of kittens from the RSPCA last month - this day last month actually, they've been home exactly four weeks. They're now sixteen weeks old and alternating between most adorable balls of fluff in existence and hyperactive little jerkfaces. They've settled in incredibly well, eat and poop like champs(I have never been so glad to watch a kitten poo poo in a box as I was that first night) and mostly scratch the correct things, et cetera. That's all great.

What my partner noticed a few days ago is that one kitten(Loki, the black one) has some wonky teeth. His right canines on the top and bottom are at odd angles - the lower one juts outwards(this is how we noticed; he has persistent snaggletooth) and the upper one is angled inwards a bit. His upper lip has what looks like a teeny callus where the lower tooth has been rubbing against it - it doesn't look sore or inflamed, just... like a callus - and the lower lip is pulled back a bit, Two-Face style(but tinier and cuter).

He doesn't seem in pain or bothered by it at all, he's been eating fine and is the most remarkably tolerant cat I've ever met with how patient he is about me examining his mouth, but I'm just concerned that it might cause him some issues. We're taking them to the vet tomorrow for their vaccinations and I'll ask the vet to take a look at it then, so I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that my little kitty is okay :3:

lovely photo of the pair attached. Cinnamon is the torbie girl kitten and Loki is the black boy kitten. I am so in love with these two, even if their poops do smell like they came straight from hell.

Cutie cute cuties who are cute. Congrats on the new kittens! I promise the poops will smell better as they get out of kittenhood. Until then you are in for the stinky shits. :3:

Yeah, bring that up to the vet for sure, as they might overlook it in a typical examination. Hopefully he'll just lose the teeth and his permanents will grow in correctly.

pie.rat
Jul 1, 2007

C45H74O10

Huntersoninski posted:

Hey you guys. I'm sorry to keep bothering you all with my pets, you have all been great with the advice lately, but I'm having more problems with Pizza. It's been a little less than a month since his urinary issues, and he has been great up until today. I noticed this afternoon he smells a lot like his litter box, as if he been camping out there. Sure enough, when I went to clean the box, he beat me there and strained for about 10 minutes but nothing was produced. He's going back to the vet tomorrow, but I'm sort of at a loss of what to do. I got him a fountain, I know he drinks, I mix his food with water every morning and evening, he never gets anything but his prescription food, and I'm just worried sick. He won't touch wet food. I guess I don't know what my question is, I'm just so worried. What can we do from here if this doesn't stop?

Heyyyy fellow pee problem-having cat buddy :(:hf::( My cat is also terrible at drinking water and has had a few crystal emergencies, including one about a month ago. He`s been good since then, but one thing my vet suggested is monthly (or weekly) injections of cartrophen. He had weekly injections a few years ago at a time when he had multiple episodes across a few months, and was subsequently crystal-free for almost three years. I've had three vets in two cities recommend cartrophen to me, as well as reporting good outcomes with their own crystaly cats. My cat had a checkup today and the vet has prescribed monthly injections, which I can just do at home. This might be something that you can bring up with your vet if he / she hasn't mentioned it. While poking around on the internet I found that apparently this use of cartrophen in cats with urinary problems is more common in Canada than in the US (and I am indeed in Canada), so YMMV.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

mcmagic posted:

If it happens before eating and it's been awhile since they ate, that could be Bilious Vomiting Syndrome - animals with large gap in time between meals who throw up and are otherwise healthy and check out fine on exam and diagnostics. You deal with that by feeding them with shorter intervals between eating. If you can't come home to do it, you can use a timed feeder if they're on dry food, doesn't have to be a lot of food.

Maximusi posted:

My cat has polycystic kidney disease. I've been upset all day. My doctor says it's early stage, his creatine levels are at 2.4 but everything else is normal. My cat has no symptoms at all, the only reason I caught this was because I was going to do some routine dental cleaning. The idea of him lasting only a few more years makes me want to cry. My doctor said that it really depends on how fast the disease progresses. :smith:

The vet's right. PKD will progress differently from the "normal" chronic kidney disease because it's a different underlying problem. If the cysts aren't growing much and aren't hurting the kidneys more, he could be at Stage 2 for a long, long time. But, if his cysts are more progressive (size and number) then he could progress faster.

Of the normal kidney diets (which would be recommended for a renal failure cat) only Purina NF dry lacks named chicken - Hill's, Iams, Purina wet food, Royal Canin all have chicken as main ingredients. There's an animal digest component so who knows chicken may still be in there. Otherwise, you'd have to look for non-big name kidney diets which I don't recommend. However, if you are willing to pay for the consult, you could ask your vet to contact a veterinary nutritionist to formulate a home-made diet that will be balanced, that you will be able to source ingredients over, and that will help manage the kidney disease.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

My dumbass cat broke his hip. The silly fucker fell from a wardrobe and hit something on the way down. At least that's what I think happened, I found him crawling on the floor with one of his back legs dangling behind him. He had surgery on Friday where they removed the ball part of the joint, which had separated completely from the rest of the bone.

He's still feeling very sorry for himself, and is confined to a crate to prevent more damage if he tries to climb anything for another week or so.

He had a short outing to the bed yesterday, cone of shame and all!

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate

HelloSailorSign posted:

The vet's right. PKD will progress differently from the "normal" chronic kidney disease because it's a different underlying problem. If the cysts aren't growing much and aren't hurting the kidneys more, he could be at Stage 2 for a long, long time. But, if his cysts are more progressive (size and number) then he could progress faster.

Of the normal kidney diets (which would be recommended for a renal failure cat) only Purina NF dry lacks named chicken - Hill's, Iams, Purina wet food, Royal Canin all have chicken as main ingredients. There's an animal digest component so who knows chicken may still be in there. Otherwise, you'd have to look for non-big name kidney diets which I don't recommend. However, if you are willing to pay for the consult, you could ask your vet to contact a veterinary nutritionist to formulate a home-made diet that will be balanced, that you will be able to source ingredients over, and that will help manage the kidney disease.

Thanks. I hope that's what happens. The vet referred me to a website called, "Balanceit.com." Where licensed vets apparently create recipes for you and you just add the supplements. So I'll probably do that.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
Belated thanks for the tips on flying with cats. I'm going to talk over the options with my vet when I drag them in after Thanksgiving.

In preparation for the terrifying process of removing cat from carrier for airport security, I'm looking for a harness for my, um, plump cat. She's worn this style before, when she was smaller, but I don't think it's secure enough. Any recommendations for harness/leash combos that are comfortable enough to wear on a longish flight, but more escape-proof, and suitable for a large (16lb) cat?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Maximusi posted:

Thanks. I hope that's what happens. The vet referred me to a website called, "Balanceit.com." Where licensed vets apparently create recipes for you and you just add the supplements. So I'll probably do that.

Balanceit.com is what I recommend as well. I usually use them for homemade food allergy diets.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I miss this thread :( The only health problem my cat Jackie ever has had is an ingrown claw from her absurd polydactyl front paws with eight toes on each, complete with corresponding claws. The extra claws on her "thumb" tend to grow out all awry and in various direction at varying lengths and thicknesses, and she has one that will just grow straight into her paw if you don't clip it every few months. She's a trooper about the clipping though. And just an amazingly good cat.

So one of my little quirks is that if I'm staying at home by myself and my boyfriend isn't over I am prone to using sleeping bags, especially on these absurdly cold nights we've started having, and Jackie has actually started spending lots of time sleeping in the bottom of my sleeping bag, on or next to my calves more or less. I only mention it because it is like the *cutest* thing ever and I am unsure that I have heard of any cats doing such things.

Almost every cat I've had up until Jackie had been affectionate but still aloof enough (and perhaps untrustworthy enough of humans) that they would never put themselves in the bottom of a sleeping bag with a human where they might not easily get out at will. The fact that Jackie does stuff like this and trusts me so totally is one of the great things about her - and it is funny because it totally goes both ways, since she's the only cat to have never purposely bitten or scratched me I just... can deal with her differently than most cats.

I really think it comes down to her not having ever been confined against her will, or been in a shelter, or in any remotely abusive situation. I know for a fact that no human has ever really even been angry with her - the worst mistreatment she got from humans was my little sister handling her a little too much when she was still a kitten. The funny thing is that it's other cats who were really mean to her and mistreated her, so it's them she doesn't trust! Which is why I won't be able to get any more cats while I have Jackie. I promised her! She is the jealous type, my Jackie-cat.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Yay, Jackie cat update! That is adorable that she'll snuggle in the sleeping bag with you. From what I've heard, cats have a very strong escape drive and don't like to feel cornered or trapped anywhere. It shows a lot of trust that she'll chill with you in a relatively confined space.

Of course, I am expecting an update from you about how you jolted awake only to feel her displeasure as she escapes. :eek:

In other news, my cats have learned true mastery of the vents in the house. I caught Cave perfectly loafed on top of one of the vents as the heat kicked on in the morning, perfectly content and absolutely not sharing with his brother. :3: Ah, pre-warmed kitties.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Snuggly cats are he best. Ozma loves cuddling close but only Pizza does this:

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

We have 980 square feet and three female orange cats, quite a unique rare mix. 1 is indoors only and the only one declawed, 2 was outdoors only and gave birth to 3 who was also indoors only. they were seperated three days after birth because 2 developed mastitis and could not provide milk. i thought she was going to die actually, and we gave 3 to a friend whose two barn cats gave birth to a ten babies within two weeks of each other and all kittens were feeding from both mothers. 3 was days old when she was put in a pen with four kittens at 5 weeks and six at 3 weeks, so she was the smallest of the bunch and invariably ended up being at the bottom of every pile, at the end of every swipe, and ended up having a really rough few weeks until all the other kittens were weened and she was left. we got her two weeks later and she lived with 1 for two years alone.

3 had to come in, and never lived indoors or got along with other cats. 3 and 2 have no idea they are related, but they look identical and this confuses 1 all the time, who has a close relationship with 3 but hates 2. 1 attacks 2 several times daily. they've always fought. the mother and daughter fight too, but they mostly just avoid each other. 3 is who we have the worst problem with. she will not urinate in the liter box and we have tried every tipe of liter composition, 2 per cat, changes after every and i mean every use, shallow liter deep liter different containers, different rooms, different temperatures and lighting settings even. instead she chooses to urinate on the floor, often next to the toilet or the shower. Any thoughts?

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 26, 2013

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

parthenocarpy posted:

We have 980 square feet and three female orange cats, quite a unique rare mix. 1 is indoors only and the only one declawed, 2 was outdoors only and gave birth to 3 who was also indoors only. they were seperated three days after birth because 2 developed mastitis and could not provide milk. i thought she was going to die actually, and we gave 3 to a friend whose two barn cats gave birth to a ten babies within two weeks of each other and all kittens were feeding from both mothers. 3 was days old when she was put in a pen with four kittens at 5 weeks and six at 3 weeks, so she was the smallest of the bunch and invariably ended up being at the bottom of every pile, at the end of every swipe, and ended up having a really rough few weeks until all the other kittens were weened and she was left. we got her two weeks later and she lived with 1 for two years alone.

3 had to come in, and never lived indoors or got along with other cats. 3 and 2 have no idea they are related, but they look identical and this confuses 1 all the time, who has a close relationship with 3 but hates 2. 1 attacks 2 several times daily. they've always fought. the mother and daughter fight too, but they mostly just avoid each other. 3 is who we have the worst problem with. she will not urinate in the liter box and we have tried every tipe of liter composition, 2 per cat, changes after every and i mean every use, shallow liter deep liter different containers, different rooms, different temperatures and lighting settings even. instead she chooses to urinate on the floor, often next to the toilet or the shower. Any thoughts?

Name your cats?

Jokes aside, that story is really hard to follow without names. Have you used an enzymatic cleaner where she's urinated before? If it still smells like pee to her, she's more likely to go in that spot again.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My video is too big to make a gif:saddowns:

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
I looked through the information in the OP, and couldn't really find anything on this specific issue.

My girlfriend adopted a kitten about two weeks ago. It had a pretty major injury at some point in its short life, and had a leg amputated about a month before she adopted it. Physically, the cat is in pretty good shape all things considered though.

For the last two weeks though, the cat has shown NO affection to anyone, or even come out of hiding while anyone is around. We've been doing our best to just provide a safe, quiet space for the kitten, but even so, she will never even leave her hiding spot under the coffee table unless everyone is out of the room. Sometimes we will sit quietly in the room and read, or talk in calm voices to each other just to get her used to us in a non-threatening situation. We usually completely ignore her while doing this, but just looking at her is enough to get her hissing. She wasn't like this when my girlfriend went to visit her before adopting her, and at first we just attributed it to being in a new place. It's been about two weeks now though, and I've literally only seen this cat out from underneath the coffee table once, and as soon as it realized I was within sight, it bolted back under as fast as it's three little legs could take it. We have a few toys/litter box/food and water, and when we're out of the room she'll eat, drink, play, and use the litter box like normal. Even so, usually only at night, and when all the lights are off.

Has anyone had any experience socializing such an anti-social kitten? Is there anything we can do to make her feel more safe/comfortable?

- Sex: Female
- How long have you had your cat?: Two weeks
- Is your cat spayed or neutered?: No
- What food do you use?: Kitten food? Not sure to be honest, my girlfriend researched and bought it, and I'm not at her place.
- When was your last vet visit?: Four days ago
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both?: Indoors
- How many pets in your household?: Just the kitten.
- How many litter boxes do you have?: One

Tirius fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 26, 2013

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
This is Dolly:

She is 8 months old, we have two cats. The other is 3 years old. Dolly is being a pain when she goes out. The older cat makes short trips on the yard wall before coming back, Dolly is capable of scaling the wall yet routinely ends up in a neighbours yard and won't return, crying until she can see one of us. We give the cats treats when they return and the older one comes back immediately when she hears the box of treats being shaken. Dolly is not taken in by such a ruse. The problem is she causes so much aggro in the house if she isn't let outside for a little while it seems cruel to keep her in, but her behaviour is becoming a problem.

She uses the 'lost crying kitten' act on strangers to get taken in and given milk etc, if I was to respond to her crying and went to find her she would simply stop crying and watch me from an unreachable perch. Is there a tactic to combat that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Tirius posted:

I looked through the information in the OP, and couldn't really find anything on this specific issue.

My girlfriend adopted a kitten about two weeks ago. It had a pretty major injury at some point in its short life, and had a leg amputated about a month before she adopted it. Physically, the cat is in pretty good shape all things considered though.

For the last two weeks though, the cat has shown NO affection to anyone, or even come out of hiding while anyone is around. We've been doing our best to just provide a safe, quiet space for the kitten, but even so, she will never even leave her hiding spot under the coffee table unless everyone is out of the room. Sometimes we will sit quietly in the room and read, or talk in calm voices to each other just to get her used to us in a non-threatening situation. We usually completely ignore her while doing this, but just looking at her is enough to get her hissing. She wasn't like this when my girlfriend went to visit her before adopting her, and at first we just attributed it to being in a new place. It's been about two weeks now though, and I've literally only seen this cat out from underneath the coffee table once, and as soon as it realized I was within sight, it bolted back under as fast as it's three little legs could take it. We have a few toys/litter box/food and water, and when we're out of the room she'll eat, drink, play, and use the litter box like normal. Even so, usually only at night, and when all the lights are off.

Has anyone had any experience socializing such an anti-social kitten? Is there anything we can do to make her feel more safe/comfortable?

- Sex: Female
- How long have you had your cat?: Two weeks
- Is your cat spayed or neutered?: No
- What food do you use?: Kitten food? Not sure to be honest, my girlfriend researched and bought it, and I'm not at her place.
- When was your last vet visit?: Four days ago
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both?: Indoors
- How many pets in your household?: Just the kitten.
- How many litter boxes do you have?: One

Do timed feedings and make sure you're the one putting out the food and water, and maybe try a feliway diffuser if she seems nervous all the time. Other than that, hanging out in the same room doing other stuff seems like a good idea. Keep at it!