Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

dms666 posted:

Is this a decent monitor for gaming? I have been reading mixed reviews. My monitor died today and am looking for a new one somewhere in the 21"-23" range.

The U2312HM seems fine for gaming in the games I've tried which include Dota 2, Metro 2033, and Max Payne 3.

Only problem I have with the monitor is the backlight bleed, which is excessive in both the original one I bought and the replacement one Dell sent me.

They're sending me one more replacement; hopefully the bleed is less in the third one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

dms666 posted:

Is this a decent monitor for gaming? I have been reading mixed reviews. My monitor died today and am looking for a new one somewhere in the 21"-23" range.

I've been using it as my main monitor for a year plus and really like it. About 80% of my PC usage is gaming. I don't consider myself sensitive to input lag in general, though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm looking for a cheap monitor for general use, ideally able to play films and games well enough which can also display readable text. A friend recommended the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24" but I figured I'd run that through here before committing.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm looking for a cheap monitor for general use, ideally able to play films and games well enough which can also display readable text. A friend recommended the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24" but I figured I'd run that through here before committing.

Dell's ultrasharps are always a good choice. You might get cheaper around but rarely with as good a replacement policy (though some people in the thread have reported having problems with it recently). Might also be worth waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday and seeing if any deals come up.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Mr. Squishy posted:

So long as you don't need HDMI input or 1:1 pixel mapping mode, the U2412M is a very good option.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Xeom posted:

So how long till OLED tech works its way into monitors?

OLED suffers from burn-in, so monitors using that technology are unlikely.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

jkyuusai posted:

According to Lightning Drops, the U2312HM is at its lowest price ever on Amazon at $180. I just bought two. :negative:

(Already had one. Here I come Eyefinity :pcgaming:)

Glad you mentioned this, I ordered mine from Amazon last week at $200 and it just got here yesterday. Sent an email to customer service about the price drop, and they were happy to refund me the $20 difference :toot:

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

Nibble posted:

Glad you mentioned this, I ordered mine from Amazon last week at $200 and it just got here yesterday. Sent an email to customer service about the price drop, and they were happy to refund me the $20 difference :toot:

Did you notice any light bleed? I am probably going to order that display soon (I doubt it will go any cheaper on BF/CM), and I noticed a lot of complaints regarding the light bleed and anti-glare. I don't really have experience with IPS outside of casually browsing at Best Buy, so I don't really know if it has more than the average IPS monitor or not.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Vasler posted:

The U2312HM seems fine for gaming in the games I've tried which include Dota 2, Metro 2033, and Max Payne 3.

Only problem I have with the monitor is the backlight bleed, which is excessive in both the original one I bought and the replacement one Dell sent me.

They're sending me one more replacement; hopefully the bleed is less in the third one.

I'm looking for a gaming monitor as well to upgrade from my old 21' HanisG monitor. I've been eyeballing some of the LEDs from the OP, but I'm unsure of what to jump on. Hoping to do it soonish around Black Friday or so. Could anybody tell me if this BenQ is trash( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HSKSMI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER ) compared to some of the suggested Dells such as U2313HM ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LN1JEC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER ) ? Seeking somewhere between a 24' - 27'. Currently have a Radeon 7770 Ghz GPU and just upgraded my internals to a modern i5 setup. Intend to upgrade the GPU again later. The games I typically play are Diablo, DOTA2, SC2, and some other mid-range games. Still a bit muddled by some of the suggestions in the OP and the last couple of pages.

Hoping to spend under $250 for this purchase. Ideally ~$200

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 27, 2013

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I thought if you bought from Amazon, you didn't get the Dell 3 Year Perfect Pixel warranty. Amazon isn't that much cheaper, so maybe Dell will have a special or some coupons will drop from the sky.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

EconOutlines posted:

I thought if you bought from Amazon, you didn't get the Dell 3 Year Perfect Pixel warranty. Amazon isn't that much cheaper, so maybe Dell will have a special or some coupons will drop from the sky.

Ah, so buying any monitor, or a Dell, without warranty is asking for potential problems you cant fix? I'll give that a thought. Thanks

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

jaffyjaffy posted:

Did you notice any light bleed? I am probably going to order that display soon (I doubt it will go any cheaper on BF/CM), and I noticed a lot of complaints regarding the light bleed and anti-glare. I don't really have experience with IPS outside of casually browsing at Best Buy, so I don't really know if it has more than the average IPS monitor or not.

I haven't noticed any personally, but usually I'm using it with brighter images in a well-lit room, which seem like they would be the ideal conditions to make light bleed less noticeable. If I ever turn off the lights and watch a movie on it, maybe it'd be different?

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Guys I need your Monitor expertise since I can't seem to find anything via Google

I have a Korean IPS 27" - Crossover and it doesn't have a scaler built in. I want to eventually hookup a PS4 to it. I know I can't do this directly with the lack of a scaler and getting rid/replacing the monitor isn't an option. I'm fine with having black areas on my screen given the PS4 goes up to 1080p. Is there anything I can buy (external scaler/capture card?) that will allow it to work with no lag?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I received a free 1080p montior from a friend. It is a HP w2408h. Are these things any decent compared to the dells that I see everyone recommend? I cant complain at all since it cost me nothing and coming from 1440x900.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

B-Mac posted:

I received a free 1080p montior from a friend. It is a HP w2408h. Are these things any decent compared to the dells that I see everyone recommend? I cant complain at all since it cost me nothing and coming from 1440x900.

Reviews say its TN. So no.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Amazon has the Dell U2412M for $270 right now. Could it conceivably stay this price for awhile?

I didn't want to upgrade my monitor until the new year but I also don't want to have to spend a lot more by waiting.

Also can anyone recommend one of the dual monitor stands for use with Dell monitors? They all look pretty identical.

BitterAvatar fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 28, 2013

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

Anyone found any particularly good holiday deals on monitors that they'd like to share?

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
This caught my eye: S24B150BL at $98 starting 9am PST. Debating between this and the thread recommended U2312HM that's $80 more. If anyone could poo poo on or praise the first monitor that would be great. Reviews seem mixed.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It's a TN monitor with absolutely abysmal viewing angles. You will get what you pay for.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I just wanted to say it's really heartwarming that IPS panels have gotten so cheap that nobody can recommend anything with a TN in good faith any more, unless it's a 2ms 120Hz just for games or something :)

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

It's a TN monitor with absolutely abysmal viewing angles. You will get what you pay for.

Is this a problem when you're sitting at a desk right in front of it?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Those viewing angles are bad enough that you could get color and contrast shifts just from how you move in your chair.

Return of Jane
Nov 20, 2013

by Fistgrrl
TN panels are unnecessarily bashed. I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing out on with a IPS panel other than the ability to look at the display from sideways but when is just sitting in front of the monitor not an option anyway (with the exception of multi-monitor setups.)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
^ There are TN screens with fairly decent viewing angle characteristics, so maybe you have one. But there are also some very awful examples.

nrr posted:

Is this a problem when you're sitting at a desk right in front of it?

I find the problems with TN are mostly vertical viewing angles, so once large enough, the top and bottom of the screen are darker or lighter.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I don't think it's severe enough to be a huge concern unless you're sitting less than two feet away from a 25"+ monitor, but at this point it's just like, why bother skimping so bad on something you'll be staring at for thousands of hours and that will probably outlive your current PC? I went from an UltraSharp back to TNs in ~2008 (moved to another country, good monitors were still $500+, I wanted to move to multiple monitors and was broke) and it wasn't the end of the world, but I'd never buy a TN now.

I sometimes wonder why there's never been some way of dynamically calibrating monitors along the y axis to at least partially compensate for TN panels, since it seems like a fairly simple lightening/darkening, but I suppose that wouldn't be worth the expense in what are already cheap lovely monitors.

Return of Jane posted:

TN panels are unnecessarily bashed. I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing out on with a IPS panel other than the ability to look at the display from sideways but when is just sitting in front of the monitor not an option anyway (with the exception of multi-monitor setups.)
Even with multiple monitors, you're probably going to have the ones off center turned a little towards you anyway, so yeah, vertical angle is still all that's really important.

Straker fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 28, 2013

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Is there anything wrong with using a tv that has a dvi port for a monitor?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

lampey posted:

Is there anything wrong with using a tv that has a dvi port for a monitor?

Most TVs do chroma subsampling at 4:2:0, like video, whereas computers are built to assume no chroma subsampling (4:4:4). As a result, small details like text and thin lines can blur out like crazy on a TV.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Return of Jane posted:

Go put an IPS next to a TN and use it in a multiple monitor setup.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Ob I was hoping the best buy 24in 1080p for $80 would be good for that but ill get an ips monitor instead

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Return of Jane posted:

Phone posted:

Go put an IPS next to a TN and use it in a multiple monitor setup.

Return of Jane posted:

with the exception of multi-monitor setups.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

nrr posted:

QUOTES

I think his point was that if you put a TN panel next to an IPS one, it's quite obvious to see a difference in image quality, which is pretty much unrelated to the other quote, which is about using a multi-monitor making you more likely to view it off-angle, which makes the weaknesses of TN panels more apparent.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The Dell E2414Hr is coming up on lightning deal in about 5 hours on amazon, supposedly dropping to $99. I'm somewhat in the market right now to replace my 2 random hodgepodge Acers. Are these worth considering or should I shoot for the $179 U2412HMs?

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

couldcareless posted:

The Dell E2414Hr is coming up on lightning deal in about 5 hours on amazon, supposedly dropping to $99. I'm somewhat in the market right now to replace my 2 random hodgepodge Acers. Are these worth considering or should I shoot for the $179 U2412HMs?

It might be worth noting that the U2312HM is $170 on Dell's website. I would assume Dell would also send you one of the new revisions, since I have heard there were issues with the A00 revision.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
I'm interested in a second monitor for use with my laptop, around a few hundred dollars. Is there an option that someone would suggest, with which I could buy and use for now, with the intention of eventually buying a PS4 and using it as the display?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Are there any glossy 21:9 ultrawide panels on the market?

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
Anyone have any experience with any 21:9 models? I see a LG 29EA73-P Black 29" on sale at Newegg for $380 that is tempting, primary use is TV & movies.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I'm looking at these three monitors: Acer H236HLbid 23" for $130, ASUS VN248H-P 23.8" for $130 or 23” Dell UltraSharp U2312HM for $170. A matte screen is highly prefered, but I can't tell what the Acer and Asus have. This isn't for any kind of professional video/photo editing. I know the Dell's are highly regarded, but do you think it would be worth the extra $40?

Looks like the Acer is glossy according to some user reviews? And it looks like the Asus is matte. Why can't they put this crap on the tech specs :saddowns:

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 29, 2013

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47164

This looks like quite the deal: any input? It's the BenQ XL2420TE. I'm looking for a monitor primarily for gaming.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Return of Jane posted:

If you've ever used an IPS panel you wouldn't say this. There is such a vast difference between even a crappy IPS panel and "the best" TN panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What do you guys think of a 27" monitor for gaming?

this monoprice zero-g IPS monitor is $300

http://slickdeals.net/f/6500486-27-monoprice-zero-g-2560x1440-ips-monitor-300-free-shipping