Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its been alright. Its a little overly wacky and I don't especially like any of the characters (which isn't to say I dislike them, they're basically like coworkers who you can take or leave). John C. McGinley has largely been carrying the show for me but I think they know that as they've been featuring him as basically a third lead. At least I've finally stopped thinking the main guy was Ted Mosby. Its a serviceable sitcom if you have time to kill. It could stand to improve.

That reminds me (the McGinley thing, not the Mosby thing) that I completely forgot about that Robin Williams sitcom. How has that been? I saw the first couple of episodes and it was being completely carried by Williams and that one young, pretty guy. I thing Gellar was pretty terrible and an anchor on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Is there a thread for those terrible History Channel "documentaries"? I ask because I just saw a preview for one that looks genuinely entertaining.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Dead Snoopy posted:

is anybody giving Ground Floor a chance?
Yeah it's reliably funny. Not doing anything innovative but it's better than "My Life in 3 Cameras"'s nightmare version of Scrubs. The cast has good timing and have gelled really successfully. It's a trifle but there are far worse things you can watch with 30 minutes of your time.

e: VVV

Dead Snoopy posted:

during the last [uneven] season of Cougar Town
You know it's still running on TBS, right?

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 26, 2013

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I really like the casting of the female lead. Lawrence used her on Cougar Town briefly but then didn't bring her back at all during the last [uneven] season of Cougar Town. Their loss.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So, without any spoilers (since I haven't watched any of it yet) how was this season of Boardwalk Empire?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Great and soul crushing at the same time?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

STAC Goat posted:

That reminds me (the McGinley thing, not the Mosby thing) that I completely forgot about that Robin Williams sitcom. How has that been? I saw the first couple of episodes and it was being completely carried by Williams and that one young, pretty guy. I thing Gellar was pretty terrible and an anchor on the show.

I didn't see the last episode, but it's still basically the case, though the young guy's partner is pretty good too. Gellar's alright, but I don't think she adds much. I don't know what happened to her, I thought she was really good on Buffy, but then nothing really.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

So, without any spoilers (since I haven't watched any of it yet) how was this season of Boardwalk Empire?

Nucky isn't necessarily the central point of all the action. Chicago takes up more screen time, allowing for us to get more Michael Shannon then in season 3.

I still believe that by eliminating most of the annoyances I hated in the 1st 2 seasons - Jimmy & his wife and a few others - the show improved immensely.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Popelmon posted:

Here is my daily "oh god I loving love X-Files" post:

I absolutely love the music. Are there any shows around that still have a score and not just a soundtrack with some popular-ish songs?

Carnivale had a great score, but that was 7 or 8 years ago I think. Game of Thrones has a good score. This is my favorite song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jERdloSRJEw

But those are HBO shows, so the budgets are much larger.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Adult Swim released the pilot for Rick and Morty, that show Dan Harmon co-created and ran the writer's room for during his year off from Community. It's funny as hell and more than a little dark. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMq3ozw7VME

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

hcreight posted:

So if you're like me and you often wonder "What the hell is Fez up to these days?", Wilmer Valderrama has joined the cast of the From Dusk Till Dawn TV series that Robert Rodriguez is developing.

http://dailydead.com/wilmer-valderrama-joins-cast-dusk-till-dawn-series/

Doesn't the basic premise of From Dusk Till Dawn revolve around a strip club run by vampires? Since nobody leaves a note saying "Hey, I'm checking out the local titty bar, don't wait up for me." So that was the perfect scam for Vampires.

And they made like half a dozen lovely sequels to it. So I'm curious how they can make a series out of it. It's focused around a strip club, where the women all keep their tops on. I could see it working on HBO/Starz/ or Skinemax.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 26, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

-Blackadder- posted:

More of the same. I haven't seen seasons 2 or 3, but the quality of 4 is definitely on par with what I remember from season 1. If there's any improvement it comes from the show shifting its focus away from its less compelling characters. Nucky spends most of the season on the sidelines, the ridiculous Irish woman is only in three episodes and I don't know where Jimmy went, but he's thankfully out of the mix. The show's still not perfect, especially when it comes to the role of law enforcement. The new federal agent character they added has essentially the same arc as Michael Shannon's character in season 1 and feels like a retread. And the one actual development--J. Edgar Hoover's introduction--probably won't pay off for long, long time.

All in all, BE's 4 season doesn't bring anything new to the table, but if you liked the last three seasons you'll probably enjoy it just fine.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

More of the same. I haven't seen seasons 2 or 3, but the quality of 4 is definitely on par with what I remember from season 1.

Why on earth would you skip seasons 2 and 3 of a show of this kind?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Because Irish Joe.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
By the way, last night's 2 Broke Girls was the best episode so far this season and easily one of the top 5 of the series. Beth works in an office with Mr. Show's Mary Lynn Rajskub and Kat gets hit on by DTTB's Eric Andre. Hilarity ensues. I also learned that Beth Behr's was born in my old hometown which is a great relief since now I can stop claiming to be from the same place as Jonathan Groff.

Junkenstein posted:

Why on earth would you skip seasons 2 and 3 of a show of this kind?

The first season bored the poo poo out of me so I figured I'd just skip to the good stuff.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Irish Joe posted:

The first season bored the poo poo out of me so I figured I'd just skip to the good stuff.

You ended up skipping the best stuff. Season 4 was very good but I agree with you that it felt a lot like Season 1. Both seasons feel like prologues to the real meat of the story, but I love how slow Boardwalk is and it always pays off, at least for me.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

But the general consensus is that S1 was boring and S2 was fantastic. I can't imagine anyone claiming that S4 is when it starts to get good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why argue with Irish Joe? I mean he's talking about 2 Broke Girls in the same post.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How the hell do people still think Irish Joe is serious about anything?

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Rarity posted:

Gives me an excuse to blather about Boardwalk so it's all cool to me :)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sometimes in one page he'll claim never to have seen a show, then talk about individual episodes.

You're slipping, Joe.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

The Karl Pilkington of TV IV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So I was surprised to learn that Family Guy killed off a major character this week. It wasn't from watching the show, but because there was an article about it on the front page of CNN.

Also the AV Club guy they got reviewing Hostages is getting pretty close to going on a rampage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

So I was surprised to learn that Family Guy killed off a major character this week. It wasn't from watching the show, but because there was an article about it on the front page of CNN.

They apparently have episodes scheduled later in the season with that character's name in the title, so it doesn't look to be sticking for long.

Besides, the Simpsons killed off a major family member ages ago. Doesn't anyone remember than Snowball II is really like Snowball XII?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Lugaloco posted:

You ended up skipping the best stuff. Season 4 was very good but I agree with you that it felt a lot like Season 1. Both seasons feel like prologues to the real meat of the story, but I love how slow Boardwalk is and it always pays off, at least for me.

If this is true I might wait a year or so before resuming. I really struggled to get through season 1, and only really appreciated it retrospectively after the events at the end of S2 that everybody just spoiled :v:

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Lugaloco posted:

Gives me an excuse to blather about Boardwalk so it's all cool to me :)

I'm a couple of episodes behind, but this has been a pretty solid season of Boardwalk all things considered. Doubling up on the villains was a good idea - like Justified season 3, which had Quarles and Limehouse. I have about 2 episodes to go, so hopefully I'll get to them over the Thanksgiving holiday.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
The Irish Joe-iest thing is how he never refers to the Two Broke Girls by their character names (Max and Caroline), but by the actresses' names (Kat and Beth). Beautiful, beautiful trolling.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joe, what would we have to do to get you posting in the TWD thread?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Joe, what would we have to do to get you posting in the TWD thread?

Nothing. I skipped season 2 because it was dull and pointless and I'm skipping this season because it is dull and pointless. As terrible as the Governor was in season 3, at least he gave Rick's crew something to do; gave them a reason for being melodramatic. In this season everyone's just standing around whining, being moody and dying stupidly for no reason. Its boring, uncompelling television and unless they shake things up in the mid-season finale, I'm just going to check out until season 5.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 26, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

They apparently have episodes scheduled later in the season with that character's name in the title, so it doesn't look to be sticking for long.

Besides, the Simpsons killed off a major family member ages ago. Doesn't anyone remember than Snowball II is really like Snowball XII?

I don't know how accurate it is but somebody was saying that they changed those episode titles to have the new dog's name.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know how accurate it is but somebody was saying that they changed those episode titles to have the new dog's name.

I have also read that Paulie Walnuts has recorded at least 6 episodes.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

zoux posted:

Also the AV Club guy they got reviewing Hostages is getting pretty close to going on a rampage.

Watch Hostages. Every episode and twist is like 24 Kim/cougar level magnificence. It's incredibly bad. It's so pleasant to hatewatch.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

HUMAN FISH posted:

Watch Hostages. Every episode and twist is like 24 Kim/cougar level magnificence. It's incredibly bad. It's so pleasant to hatewatch.

I'm still amazed that Elisha Cuthbert is actually a solid comedic actress as seen on Happy Endings, considering how low of an opinion I had of her due to 24. It almost makes Kim Bauer less awful retroactively.

Nothing will redeem Hostages though. It's simply a terrible show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I'm not watching the show, I'm just watching the AV Club guy slowly go mad. I click on all the "F" grade reviews regardless.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Oh I'm not watching the show, I'm just watching the AV Club guy slowly go mad. I click on all the "F" grade reviews regardless.

The one about that "Marshall Law: Texas" show sure made it look gross.

Its one of those follow cop shows where they track down fugitives except the first episode ends with the guy they're going after killing himself instead of being taken in and they left the sound of the gunshot in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The one about that "Marshall Law: Texas" show sure made it look gross.

Its one of those follow cop shows where they track down fugitives except the first episode ends with the guy they're going after killing himself instead of being taken in and they left the sound of the gunshot in.

Is it a reality show or just supposed to look like one?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It has to be fake, the real Marshall Law would kung-fu the gently caress out of any perps before they had the chance to even reach for a gun.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

thrakkorzog posted:

Doesn't the basic premise of From Dusk Till Dawn revolve around a strip club run by vampires? Since nobody leaves a note saying "Hey, I'm checking out the local titty bar, don't wait up for me." So that was the perfect scam for Vampires.

And they made like half a dozen lovely sequels to it. So I'm curious how they can make a series out of it. It's focused around a strip club, where the women all keep their tops on. I could see it working on HBO/Starz/ or Skinemax.

Machete Kills was a joyless slog that somehow managed to cost $20 million despite looking like total dogshit, and then it didn't even make its budget back. I might trust the Robert Rodriguez that made The Faculty to make an entertaining show about a vampire strip club, but not the one we have today.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Is it a reality show or just supposed to look like one?

Reality show, so yeah, a guy actually killed himself and they left it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Machete Kills was a joyless slog that somehow managed to cost $20 million despite looking like total dogshit, and then it didn't even make its budget back.

You're broken inside.

• Locked thread