Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Cloche posted:

It's silly, but my biggest hope for P5 is that you can choose a female protagonist, even if it doesn't change anything besides a few pronouns or whatever. I really liked that aspect of P3P, it's nice to feel represented.

I hope so too, just for the sake of seeing the game from a couple of angles like P3P did with that narrative. I'd also like to see P4 get the same treatment, but I understand it'd be harder since Yu is less of a cipher than Minato/Minako are. But they could build P5 from the ground up for both experiences. All they have to do is be as good as Bioware. SUCH GREAT HEIGHTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It would also really mess with the character dynamics because unlike in P3, P4's characters are pretty good friends.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Cloche posted:

It's silly, but my biggest hope for P5 is that you can choose a female protagonist, even if it doesn't change anything besides a few pronouns or whatever. I really liked that aspect of P3P, it's nice to feel represented.

This might sound stupid but I'm personally hoping for either character(s) of color or LGBT character(s) with romance options for both. I was a tad offended that they'd include hints towards Kanji's sexuality and not make him a romance option. I mean the cast doesn't have to be a diversity parade or anything but something other than the typical white-bread characters prevalent in JRPGs would be nice and if any series is good with delivering likable characters, its this one.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 26, 2013

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I feel kind of bad that rather than an inclusive cast like you guys apparently want, that I just want to see a cast that makes Persona 3 having a dog and robot look normal by comparison.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

NutritiousSnack posted:

Instead of a HEAT METER he gets GET BENT

There's a sidequest to renovate EVERY drat SHOP IN THE AREA!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really hope that they just let you be friends with the romance interests without making it seem like you're being a dickhead heartbreaker.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Captain Mog posted:

This might sound stupid but I'm personally hoping for either character(s) of color or LGBT character(s) with romance options for both. I was a tad offended that they'd include hints towards Kanji's sexuality and not make him a romance option. I mean the cast doesn't have to be a diversity parade or anything but something other than the typical white-bread characters prevalent in JRPGs would be nice and if any series is good with delivering likable characters, its this one.

....Japanese people are white now?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cloche posted:

It's been two mainline games since the last one with a female MC. So I wouldn't be surprised if they did it again.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

MarsDragon posted:

....Japanese people are white now?

Pretty sure they just meant it as the characters are fairly standard.

Honestly though you could probably expect to maybe see a lesbian romance if they add a female protag option but probably not a gay one. The Japanese Otaku market is usually very homophobic.

e: The fact that there was a huge outcry in Japan over the gay stuff in Persona 2 basically shows what I mean.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 26, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

e: The fact that there was a huge outcry in Japan over the gay stuff in Persona 2 basically shows what I mean.

What happened?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Pepper posted:

What happened?

Tatsuya and Jun happened.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really hope that they just let you be friends with the romance interests without making it seem like you're being a dickhead heartbreaker.

I thought I was being friendly and supportive in P4 when I gave Rise a hug, but lo and behold, I'm just scumming for a romance with the flirty one by showing her empathy at the potential death of her idol career she cares deeply about. At least with Naoto you were given more overt options that you wanted a different kind of relationship, but I don't want the path of being the nice guy turning into the harem run.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Tatsuya and Jun happened.

Well I meant more about details about the outcry, not the events in the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Well I meant more about details about the outcry, not the events in the game.

Specifically there was just a ton of feeling betrayed etc, typical dumbass gamer stuff. There was an interview floating around where the lead guy talked about it. I don't have a link on hand though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Crabtree posted:

I thought I was being friendly and supportive in P4 when I gave Rise a hug, but lo and behold, I'm just scumming for a romance with the flirty one by showing her empathy at the potential death of her idol career she cares deeply about. At least with Naoto you were given more overt options that you wanted a different kind of relationship, but I don't want the path of being the nice guy turning into the harem run.

Seriously, I think I've just been burned too much by Bioware's output of late when it comes to in-game relationships. Can't I just listen to your problems and be a supportive friend without any undertones of wanting to get in your pants? I'd be entirely happy if they just left the romance by the wayside and just let me be ultra-buddies with everyone.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
The Rise one is the only one I really felt like they were pushing for you to hop in her pants. Naoto you have to explicitly make clear you want to hook up with. Both Chie and Yukiko it's more or less just presented as an option for you to take if you feel like it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Honestly though you could probably expect to maybe see a lesbian romance if they add a female protag option but probably not a gay one. The Japanese Otaku market is usually very homophobic.

There was the scene with Aigis in P3P that had the same romantic undertones with the female MC as the male MC.

Tin Soldier
Apr 13, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

There was the scene with Aigis in P3P that had the same romantic undertones with the female MC as the male MC.

Same with Elizabeth.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Speaking of P3P, what are the main differences between it and FES, aside from being able to actually control your party, Minako/FeMC existing, and no The Answer? I'm planning on finally getting a copy of it and want to know what to expect.

Tin Soldier
Apr 13, 2005

FeMC gets social links with male members of the party so it fleshes out their personalities more.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The FeMC gets to date Ken, which we can all agree is exactly what Persona 3 needed.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
FeMC gets a social link with Ryoji, where you have to spend every possible event that comes up with him if you want to see all of the link.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

FeMC gets Shinjiro as an S-Link and it's pretty much the best one she can get, it also changes the ending slightly.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Aside from the Ken and Ryoji links (blech - but Ken's not bad if you shut down his crush like a normal person) I found all the new ones to be a huge improvement. I don't think I could even bring myself to replay the basegame and all the unpleasantness involved there after playing P3P.

edit: wait no I remember the original Hermit link. that one was pretty alright, haha.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Tin Soldier posted:

Same with Elizabeth.

Could Elizabeth's go that way? The YouTube video I saw of those scenes with the female protagonist ended with them calling each other "friends". It didn't have the implied sex that I remembered from FES or had with Theo.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Saigyouji posted:

Speaking of P3P, what are the main differences between it and FES, aside from being able to actually control your party, Minako/FeMC existing, and no The Answer? I'm planning on finally getting a copy of it and want to know what to expect.
Also your party doesn't get tired after two floors of the dungeon like in FES, so it's easier to binge on the dungeon and have more free evenings.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
It's also worth mentioning that you don't manually move around the map when outside of Tartarus. Instead, you use move a cursor around. All the cutscenes are in a visual novel-esque "portraits, backgrounds, dialog boxes and nothing else" style, and there are no anime scenes.

Tin Soldier
Apr 13, 2005

jonjonaug posted:

Could Elizabeth's go that way? The YouTube video I saw of those scenes with the female protagonist ended with them calling each other "friends". It didn't have the implied sex that I remembered from FES or had with Theo.

If you choose the ...... option it's pretty heavily implied.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jonjonaug posted:

I had to dig this up from Feinne's LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HvUEgdSl0

http://lparchive.org/Persona-3-Portable/Update%20182/

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Oh wow, forgot all about that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Have any of the creators ever commented on sex in the Persona games? A lot of people claim it's heavily implied, but I think it remains very much open to interpretation. Not saying there's anything incorrect with any given personal interpretation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, what the heck do you think they're doing in that 'long time spent together?' In the MC's bedroom? That the game felt the need to go to black on? That the girls all feel very nervous about? And what about Shinji's lines about not being able to hold himself back in P3P?

And don't they do the exact same thing with the exact same phrasing in the P4 Devil S. Link, if you say you're down to gently caress?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

Well, what the heck do you think they're doing in that 'long time spent together?' In the MC's bedroom? That the game felt the need to go to black on? That the girls all feel very nervous about? And what about Shinji's lines about not being able to hold himself back in P3P?

Spent time alone with them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If Mass Destruction is not in P4D, I will be so mad.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Persona 4 Golden is :20bux: again on PSN.

E:Apparently in stores over the weekend as well. I guess you can spend a long time alone with that.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 26, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Shinjiro: You get it, right? Go back to your room. You're not gonna get another chance...

"I'm not going anywhere!"

Shinjiro: ... You're a real piece of work, you know that? Let me make myself clear. I'm not gonna hold myself back anymore...

*Fade to black*

Unless they were involved in a very dramatic game of scrabble, I think the implications are clear.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The only way they'll get me to buy Dancing All Night is if Change Your Way is in the game. :colbert:

"You can go where you want to go... be who you want to be...~"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

Unless they were involved in a very dramatic game of scrabble, I think the implications are clear.

I hadn't seen that bit before. Shinjiro sure is a romantic.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hellioning posted:

If Mass Destruction is not in P4D, I will be so mad.

Seconding this only because I would really like to know what they're saying other than BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY.

If the Dingo team can pick a better font for their subtitles, that'd be nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I think it's a deliberate choice on Atlus' part to leave it ambiguous enough that you could interpret it as either sex or just making out, whichever you'd rather it be. That way they can attract that lucrative otaku creeper money without putting off the wider JRPG market. :v: