Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You'd probably be smug as gently caress too if you were the smartest gently caress in the room outside of a handful of room (which would be photo finishes) AND were literally talking to a nearly omniscient prescient technogod.

Root pretty much is the first disciple of the Omnissiah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Spatula City posted:

Yes, Root is insanely smug. That's always been one of her character traits, a supreme belief that she's smarter than everyone else, and knows The One Truth about what's really going on. Interestingly, though, with her taking direct orders from the machine, she admits she doesn't know what's going on anymore, but she's still smug (although also afraid, for sure) because her higher power HAS A PLAN.

I have a feeling she's going to be humbled sometime in the near future. When the machine saved itself last season, it nearly broke her and she became her current, fanatical self, but I don't think this state is very stable. She's due for another shock.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Slamhound posted:

You people are nuts. Root is awesome.

On her own she sussed out the existence of a new life form, tracked it's (former) location, and was then directly contacted by that life form. That entitles her to a bit of smugness. To her, the Machine is the only thing that matters. For everything else she'll be honest or dishonest depending on the situation or how she feels.

Yeah, I really like her too. She's the fundamentalist, zealot disciple, who would do everything for her God and she is crazily intelligent and capable. She'll probably soon facing several conflicts between how far she would go (all the way) and how far The Machine will go.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

I have a feeling she's going to be humbled sometime in the near future. When the machine saved itself last season, it nearly broke her and she became her current, fanatical self, but I don't think this state is very stable. She's due for another shock.
I thought there was a significant degree of shocked humility when Finch suggested that the Machine wanted her to be locked up. I also don't think she "became" her current fanatical self, I think she was restored to her fanatical self by the phone call. The Machine saving itself was her crisis of faith.

That's not to say she's not due for another shock.

Decius posted:

Yeah, I really like her too. She's the fundamentalist, zealot disciple, who would do everything for her God and she is crazily intelligent and capable. She'll probably soon facing several conflicts between how far she would go (all the way) and how far The Machine will go.
She already had a moment like that when she escaped from the hospital and the Machine told her not to kill Hersh.

That's not to say she won't have another moment.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Slamhound posted:

That's not to say she's not due for another shock.

She already had a moment like that when she escaped from the hospital and the Machine told her not to kill Hersh.

That's not to say she won't have another moment.
What if (when) she kills someone the machine tells her not to? What will the machine do then?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Root is good and very important. She provides a completely different take on the machine from the rest of the characters. She's the one who is going to force Harold to get involved with the Machine's greater plans, when all he wants to do is keep saving people. She's absolutely necessary for the show to continue being the show we like since she's the one who is determined to upend the status quo. If POI ever allowed itself to be completely comfortable in a formula it would lose so much of its appeal.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

woodch posted:

Interestingly, my problem with her was the same problem I had with Ben Linus in the early seasons of Lost. Every time she's on screen, you just don't know whether she's being straight with the other characters or lying through her teeth to them. It's hard to get invested in her beyond the fact that she can actually "talk" to the machine.

As a character, her only solid traits are: 1) Manipulates and lies to people to get what she wants, and 2) Lacks remorse and empathy. That combination wears thin pretty quickly if there aren't some character-altering arcs on the horizon. And I have a sneaking suspicion that keeping her locked up in Finch's library isn't going to make her any less psychopathic.

I just don't foresee a future where any of the main characters will be able to trust her enough to let her out of her cage.

Edit: vvv Can't argue with that. That gets annoying too. vvv

See, I liked Ben Linus, although on Lost I wished Our Heroes would have just accepted that they were just way less clever than Ben and if they thought they had him outsmarted it probably meant they were about to do exactly what he wanted.

I think the smugness gets me with Root, especially since she has no other mode of interaction. (Which may suit a crazy person, I guess) I mean last episode she is, essentially, trying to talk Finch into letting her out of her cage but still needles him every other line, virtually guaranteeing that she's not going anywhere. Either the writers don't know how to give her dialogue that isn't 'Cryptic Observation followed by Mocking Comment' or they want her to to be an implacably one-note character. Given the overall quality of the show I suspect it's the latter, but it just doesn't work for me, especially in contrast to all the really well-realised characters they give us.

I get that Root is pretty important to the story they're telling. I just wish they were telling it with a better character.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Root is in large part a very selfish/self-centered character who's found a way to tie that selfishness into a sense of altruism or nobility (ushering in the inevitable future), though even if you take her "faith" at face value, and there's no reason not to really, she's still fundamentally a sociopath and mainly cares about herself. That the Machine may usher in a new era in history and all that jazz is nice, but Root's still mainly in it for Root.

To Finch, the Machine is like a child, it's a thing he created and feels responsible for. He keeps it at arm's length for various reasons, but he still cares for its well-being as shown by the fact that he gave it the tools it needed to free itself. To Root, the Machine is like a cross between an object of worship and a new best friend. She does what the Machine wants, she certainly has strong feelings towards it, but it's unclear how much she cares for it. Remember how pissed she was that she didn't get to be the one to free the Machine despite it still being freed.

I do hope that they do something interesting with Root as a payoff for bringing her more prominently into the cast, "smug and arrogant" can only carry a character so far before you really start to want to see something blow up in their faces.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I can't believe the root hate, she's perfect. I'm more interested in what they are going to do with her character than anything else on the show.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I think the machine not killing is because he respects Finch's choice not to kill when possible. The machine seems to be basically a child and may have basic daddy issues around Finch, rebelling somewhat, but at the same time respecting the choices Finch made. Remember, the Machine basically made an end around in it's programming for the sole reason of trying to make Finch happy.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

evenworse username posted:

See, I liked Ben Linus, although on Lost I wished Our Heroes would have just accepted that they were just way less clever than Ben and if they thought they had him outsmarted it probably meant they were about to do exactly what he wanted.

I think the smugness gets me with Root, especially since she has no other mode of interaction. (Which may suit a crazy person, I guess) I mean last episode she is, essentially, trying to talk Finch into letting her out of her cage but still needles him every other line, virtually guaranteeing that she's not going anywhere. Either the writers don't know how to give her dialogue that isn't 'Cryptic Observation followed by Mocking Comment' or they want her to to be an implacably one-note character. Given the overall quality of the show I suspect it's the latter, but it just doesn't work for me, especially in contrast to all the really well-realised characters they give us.

I get that Root is pretty important to the story they're telling. I just wish they were telling it with a better character.

This assumes Root thought that ploy would work. Maybe she's just loving with Finch as part of some long term play?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Spatula City posted:

This assumes Root thought that ploy would work. Maybe she's just loving with Finch as part of some long term play?

I'm not sure what long term play she could have that doesn't first involve getting out of 'jail' but who knows.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
I wonder if/when they will bring Decima Technologies back up. That seemed to get unceremoniously swept under the rug.

Also, Special Counsel and Hersh.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Well Hersh killed Special Counsel under Control's orders, but I'm sure she will turn up when Hersh does next.

Most of the myth arc of the show with the machine has obviously been pushed to the back-end so this first half could focus solely on giving Carter her going out extravaganza arc.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zaggitz posted:

Well Hersh killed Special Counsel under Control's orders, but I'm sure she will turn up when Hersh does next.

I'm wondering if Reese's picture is going to make its way to Control and they find out just who he really is.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Spatula City posted:

I think she was trying to manipulate him, quickly realised it wasn't working and wouldn't work and decided to twist the knife. Like she knew under normal circumstances Finch isn't susceptible to her social engineering, but thought maybe in his heightened emotional state she'd have better luck. Didn't seem to work, so she's like 'gently caress you. Sorry for your loss.'

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I wonder if all the gangs and criminal elements are going to have simultaneous and spontaneous amnesia and forget who Reese is, allowing him to work "undercover" again. Or is this a game changing element with every bad guy being all "holy poo poo, it's the guy in the suit, get him!/ RUUUUUNNNNN" every time he's outside.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Shakugan posted:

I wonder if all the gangs and criminal elements are going to have simultaneous and spontaneous amnesia and forget who Reese is, allowing him to work "undercover" again. Or is this a game changing element with every bad guy being all "holy poo poo, it's the guy in the suit, get him!/ RUUUUUNNNNN" every time he's outside.

Probably more likely that the high profile takedown of HR will mean the bounty is cancelled and there's no point seeking him out.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
So if anyone hasn't bought the Season 2 boxset yet, it just dropped to $24 on Amazon.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Shakugan posted:

I'd love to see how that works out for the first gang that tries it. "Get him...that was your plan?"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I really enjoyed how the gangs coming after him was supposed to be a big thing, but it was such a non-factor for Reese that they didn't even rate an on-screen beatdown.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
:siren: New PoI tonight! Season 3 Episode 10 - The Devil's Share :siren:
As the team seeks justice for Carter's death, Finch fears one team member will go too far; the number of one of HR's key players comes up in the machine.

They're coming for you Simmons, and they ain't gonna be shooting for the leg this time

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Choose your anthem for tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0xfXLA_pg

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPfAQdtguTs

Feel free to suggest something better (though you might not want to clog up the page with embeds).

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Sorry DP, that Nonpoint poo poo won't fly. The original version I could be talked into, maybe. But since Reese looks thirsty for blood I'd prefer to get straight to the point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX-7BlRc_a0

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

MrFlibble posted:

:siren: New PoI tonight! Season 3 Episode 10 - The Devil's Share :siren:
As the team seeks justice for Carter's death, Finch fears one team member will go too far; the number of one of HR's key players comes up in the machine.

They're coming for you Simmons, and they ain't gonna be shooting for the leg this time

You stole my thing that I usually do. :(

Oh well I guess I should also mention that

:siren: THIS WEEK THE THREE EPISODE MID SEASON FINALE EVENT CONCLUDES:siren:

Preview

Behind the scenes preview.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Well there's already precedence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-cDufgt8dY

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

OH MY those previews

root uncaged... and dual wielding handguns!

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The machine states "a-kim-bo". Root smiles.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Slamhound posted:

Well there's already precedence...

If you're going for a DJ Shadow song, why not use a song that combines TWO DJ Shadow songs, and tosses in Mos Def for free?

EDIT: And if you want another artist with precedent...

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 26, 2013

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
That also works.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Two sneak peeks for tonight's episode just went up, both Root focused:

First: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvD6Xdj3btI
Second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWneojbM-QQ

That second preview has me wicked excited.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Two sneak peeks for tonight's episode just went up, both Root focused:

First: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvD6Xdj3btI
Second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWneojbM-QQ

That second preview has me wicked excited.

Awesome. More Root, just like this thread demanded! :getin:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Root's awesome, sorry haters.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Root's awesome, sorry haters.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

hcreight posted:

Sorry DP, that Nonpoint poo poo won't fly. The original version I could be talked into, maybe. But since Reese looks thirsty for blood I'd prefer to get straight to the point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX-7BlRc_a0

Nope this is Office Space. Try again. :D

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
A reminder for our friends up north: NO LIVEPOSTING. You assholes get it an hour early, don't completely ruin it for us.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

A reminder for our friends up north: NO LIVEPOSTING. You assholes get it an hour early, don't completely ruin it for us.

I somehow actually get it like 3 hours early, mine records at 4pm. But I haven't watched it yet since I was at the gym and am now making dinner.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, it came out somewhere early since I've seen it around the net an hour ago.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Now I get to experience it all again in you livewatching goon's reactions :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm watching live for the first time!

Ugh Johnny Cash, them feels. :smith:

• Locked thread