Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Sundowner posted:

Sorry for the lack of an update lately. I haven't forgotten! I've just been a mix of extremely busy with college, with not being able to sleep like a functioning human and a sort of blanket disinterest in playing games. Not to fear, those aren't pangs of potential abandonment. I really love this LP and making these videos. I've just been trying to find the right space of time to work on it because otherwise I'm going to sound like (more of) a monotonous zombie.

If things go according to plan, I'll have an update ready early tomorrow evening!

Sweet! But don't work yourself to death on our account; college and sleep are important, so don't scrimp out.

Internet Kraken: I'm sorry you feel that way, but I look forward to discussing your problems with the game in greater detail later. Discussion of the endgame is one of the reasons I'm following this thread, actually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

resurgam40 posted:

college and sleep are important, so don't scrimp out.
We could just go to an alternate dimension where he's already well-rested, grab that update, and bring it back here. Should be simple.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Veyrall posted:

We could just go to an alternate dimension where he's already well-rested, grab that update, and bring it back here. Should be simple.

Unfortunately, in that universe, this is a Bioshock II let's play.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Veyrall posted:

Only to find out that in the alternate dimension he's doing it blind, with a facecam and in 20 parts per zone.

e:f;b

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

After traversing yet another tear, Booker and Elizabeth find themselves midst the pangs of revolution, as they approach the exit to the police building the roar of a great army of revolutionaries grows louder.

(I hate this PC port)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Wait, what? So, we have a girl not in the tower, Slate willing to cooperate, a stronger Vox, DeWitt simultaneously dead and being lauded by the people he died for? Weird. I liked the brief 'DeWitt saying things akin to the previous dead/not dead quantum superposition people' bit, ending at Elizabeth's intervention. Interesting. Wonder why Lin is dead here, and which wife was that?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I don't know how Booker suddenly got the idea that Fitzroy is just as bad as Comstock, like the social and economic differences he has been encountering previously since the beginning of the game doesn't matter.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

"I dreamed I saw deWitt last night, alive as you and me."

I really liked Daisy's speeches in this section. Her delivery is pitch-perfect.

<spoilers for update just posted>
Thank goodness you hopped on board that zeppelin, killed everyone on it, and then destroyed it. Those things are dangerous.

Now, on to finding an airship so you can get away from Columbia. Things are getting crazy, and you need to get out as soon as possible.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Oraculum Animi posted:

I don't know how Booker suddenly got the idea that Fitzroy is just as bad as Comstock, like the social and economic differences he has been encountering previously since the beginning of the game doesn't matter.
I got a feeling that it's just authors awkwardly putting their own beliefs into characters' mouths. And look, somebody called it pages ago:

Drakyn posted:

Yeah, especially because what with that last audiolog voxophone, the ominous chanting, the explosions, and (most damningly of all) the open endorsement of the Most Naive Person In This Game, I get the feeling she and her pals are one video away from sailing over the beautiful cliffs of a Golden Mean Fallacy so vast you could sink Everest in it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Comstock and Fitzroy are as bad as each other, according to DeWitt? That 'dimension-jumping' is evidently messing with his head.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I can't believe you skyline striked that poor Vox guy near the end of video. He was just cheering you on, and you drop kicked him in the face!

Also, revolution step 1: cover every building in red cloth. Branding is important.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Inferior posted:

I can't believe you skyline striked that poor Vox guy near the end of video. He was just cheering you on, and you drop kicked him in the face!

Also, revolution step 1: cover every building in red cloth. Branding is important.

Haha, I was hoping no one would notice but then again when a 200lb guy flings himself from a sky rail, bladed-gauntlet first it's a little hard to miss. Oops!

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Oraculum Animi posted:

Golden mean fallacy. Also privilege.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 26, 2013

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
Fun fact: If you don't manage to get off the zeppelin in time you'll die, and then you'll wake up by Elizabeth dragging you to safety and reviving you. No idea how she manages that.

(I may or may not know this based on my inability to escape the airship :downs:)

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

Golden means fallacy. Also privilege.
Also that time she stuck a gun in his face, stole his airship, and had him thrown from a great height onto Finkton docks.

I mean, I know it's not Comstock scale villainy but it's no surprise Booker's a little bitter.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Inferior posted:

Also that time she stuck a gun in his face, stole his airship, and had him thrown from a great height onto Finkton docks.

I mean, I know it's not Comstock scale villainy but it's no surprise Booker's a little bitter.

Oh come now. In FPS-verse those are practically just saying "hello." :P

Fair point, but I think Elizabeth's reactions are also supposed to indicate now that the Vox are armed and capable of violent change of a corrupt and racist system, they have Gone Too Far.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 26, 2013

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It seems such a shame that this game's concept is setup to show different sides of corrupt and conflicting social systems but then only allows the player to interact via gunplay rather than direct involvement through personal decision making. What are the odds our "heroes" will enter a tear at some point into a dimension where Booker is on the side of Comstock? And I'm hoping we'll see some actual time-hopping, rather than just having the historical anachronisms as window dressing.

Charge seems a cool ability. Along with the sky-rails it looks like it adds a nice kinetic feel to the game that often seems missing in modern tank-on-legs FPSes.

Edit: And for someone who's led a life of near total seclusion, Elizabeth sure seems blasé about wandering through the front-lines of a full-on revolutionary war. (Before getting freaked out by a couple of corpses of folks she met for just the briefest of moments.)

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 26, 2013

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Yeah the moment I got charge I just used it exclusively with a shotgun and a Rocket Launcher for a sidearm for the rest of the game.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Oraculum Animi posted:

The games have always been really proud of their moral choice system and grey areas but they're really terrible at creating them, so they just make a good path and an evil path and just pretend they're "two sides of the same coin".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Charge was just the best thing. By the time I got it I also had Gear that gave me Salt back for killing dudes and melees that set people on fire and god it was just the greatest thing.

Why isn't charge available sooner? It makes fights fun.

It kinda reminds me of playing Mass Effect 3 as a Manguard.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
With Charge, we get my favourite combo of the game: Bronco Charge.

That's not the official name, it's my bastardization of Bucking Bronco and Charge. You lead with Charge and follow up with Bucking Bronco. So fun.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Dr. Buttass posted:

The games have always been really proud of their moral choice system and grey areas but they're really terrible at creating them, so they just make a good path and an evil path and just pretend they're "two sides of the same coin".

Yes, because violent armed revolutions never leave tons of corpses along the way, many of them usually being guilty of just going along with the flow. Nah, that's crazy talk, they are justified, and as such, always the good path.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Part the Fourteenth:

1. The woman sitting on the platform where the stocks are is singing CCR's Fortunate Son, the same song we heard through one of the rifts earlier on in another version of Finktown. Not sure what that's supposed to symbolize.

2. I suppose this was implied before, but it appears that the men dead in one reality and alive in another (as Booker is) are able to remember the events of both realities at once. But the others we encountered seemed to be completely lost between dimensions, unable even to recognize what was going on around them. How is it that Booker is not?

3. I understand propaganda banners being pre-prepared for the revolution, but how did Daisy come by posters large enough to cover a building? And is it just me, or did those two dead kneeling Founders look like they'd been executed?

4. I'm guessing this will come up eventually. But if Booker's a martyr in this world (and working with Slate, no less), just how did he die?

5. I couldn't quite make out what that bagpipe song that plays after Fitzroy's speech is. I don't mean to keep harping on the music in this game, but all of it seems quite intentionally placed, and if this one's anachronistic, I don't know what it is. The lyrics seem awfully on-point.

6. I hate to sound like naive, and I know that Booker is a cynical bastard, but what has Fitzroy shown to indicate that she's "no better than Comstock". Rabble-rousing revolution is hardly inappropriate considering the circumstances here. I guess he's still pissed that she demanded help from him (in another dimension no less) rather than just giving him a way off Columbia? But so far the scales aren't anywhere near equal, at least insofar as I can determine.'

7. So Elizabeth's comment about whether she took them to a universe where the Vox had weapons or created one is interesting. If we're using the many-worlds theory of quantum mechanics, then she may have just selected from an infinite number of dimensions to find the one she wanted. Would that not make sense considering the rifts she opens in combat? After all, in most universes, a given place will be occupied by nothing, or a box of hammers, or empty space, or a piece of steel siding. Only in a very small number of universes will the place be occupied by a machine gun turret or a crate of ammunition for the weapons Booker happens to be carrying. This would imply she's not popping these things open to a random place, but subconsciously "finding" what she wants within the available universes.

But there's an element I still don't get. The initial rift we saw of hers led not just to another dimension, but another time and place (1983 Paris). Other rifts we've encountered also seem to do this (where are all the anachronistic songs coming from if not the future?) Yet every one she's torn open for us so far led to the same time, same place, but with different circumstances. Are these separate abilities, or has nobody thought to just step into the portal to Paris in the 80s yet?

8. The Wish Fulfillment line is interesting as well. Prior to entering the second universe ("Blue", I guess), Elizabeth wanted to find Chen Lin, as so they wound up in a portal to that world. But as they wandered through said universe, Elizabeth started talking about how awesome the Vox were, and how they would have a revolution like out of Les Miserables. And now we happen to wind up in a world ("Yellow?") where not only are the Vox waging war for freedom, but Booker has become the hero that he manifestly is not in her original world. Whether she's literally creating dimensions or selecting among an infinite number is immaterial I suppose. But it does look like we seem to wind up where wherever Elizabeth subconsciously "wants" has happened.

Of course, then why couldn't we have stepped directly into Paris? She did want to be there, after all.

9. Regarding Booker walking alive among the Vox, to be fair, how many Vox would have even laid eyes on Booker before? Propaganda posters are one thing, but in the heat of battle, you might well not recognize another generic armed white guy with no uniform, especially one who seems to be shooting at your enemies. It's also entirely possible they DO recognize Booker (they shout his name after he takes out the airship), but don't think anything of it. Reports of various people's deaths are often somewhat exaggerated in a war, after all.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Iceclaw posted:

Yes, because violent armed revolutions never leave tons of corpses along the way, many of them usually being guilty of just going along with the flow. Nah, that's crazy talk, they are justified, and as such, always the good path.

Well they're sure as hell not "the bad path", given everything we've seen. All that's being said is that Booker's yet to be confronted with evidence that Fitzroy is anywhere near as bad as Comstock. If the authors decide to shoehorn her in dropping puppies into an incinerator later, that's one thing, but "Revolutions are bad M'kay" is not a good reason for it. Was the Warsaw Uprising an issue of "two sides of the same coin"?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

GenHavoc posted:

Well they're sure as hell not "the bad path", given everything we've seen. All that's being said is that Booker's yet to be confronted with evidence that Fitzroy is anywhere near as bad as Comstock. If the authors decide to shoehorn her in dropping puppies into an incinerator later, that's one thing, but "Revolutions are bad M'kay" is not a good reason for it. Was the Warsaw Uprising an issue of "two sides of the same coin"?

Booker's phrasing aside, it does not take a genius to figure the Vox Populi you see won't be exactly polite if they happen to luck upon some civilian. And there is kind of a point when you start slaughtering unarmed people where your cause kind of stop to matters. And any atrocity wrought upon by Fitzroy or the Vox wouldn't be shoehorned precisely becaus that's what happen in violent uprisings. See also: The Terror and French Revolution, Red October, the Khmer Rouge, the Chinese Revolution.
Don't get me wrong, here: They usually uproot some really evil people, but that doesn't mean a lof of innocents aren't going to die.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 27, 2013

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
BOOKER.

YOU NEED A ZEPPLIN.

YOU ARE INSIDE A ZEPPLIN.

WHY DID YOU BLOW UP THAT ZEPPLIN, AFTER YOU DEFEATED EVERYONE INSIDE!?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

GenHavoc posted:

I suppose this was implied before, but it appears that the men dead in one reality and alive in another (as Booker is) are able to remember the events of both realities at once. But the others we encountered seemed to be completely lost between dimensions, unable even to recognize what was going on around them. How is it that Booker is not?

I think Elizabeth being there is why Booker hasn't gone insane from the duel memories yet. She's able to talk him through it. It probably also helps that Booker was there to step through the portal, while the (un)dead guards didn't have any clue what was happening to them when their memories suddenly included dying.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

GenHavoc posted:

I suppose this was implied before, but it appears that the men dead in one reality and alive in another (as Booker is) are able to remember the events of both realities at once. But the others we encountered seemed to be completely lost between dimensions, unable even to recognize what was going on around them. How is it that Booker is not?

I suppose it could be that Booker can contextualise his mind-melt through his experience of the tears. And maybe Elizabeth coaxed him out of it not only with her words but with some more of that magical "wish fulfilment" pixie dust she seems to be hinting at.

GenHavoc posted:

I'm guessing this will come up eventually. But if Booker's a martyr in this world (and working with Slate, no less), just how did he die?

Maybe this world's Booker disappeared into a tear? :psyduck:

GenHavoc posted:

And is it just me, or did those two dead kneeling Founders look like they'd been executed?

Most definitely looked like it to me!

Iceclaw posted:

Booker's phrasing aside, it does not take a genius to figure the Vox Populi you see won't be exactly polite if they happen to luck upon some civilian. And there is kind of a point when you start slaughtering unarmed people where your cause kind of stop to matters.

Aye, and I guess Booker himself has some prior experience of how difficult it is to justify slaughtering unarmed people (Wounded Knee).

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

BOOKER.

YOU NEED A ZEPPLIN.

That zeppelin was in the way of him getting his airship. The only logical course of action was to blow it up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

BOOKER.

YOU NEED A ZEPPLIN.

No. He wants the First Lady airship, not a run-of-the-mill zeppelin.

Basically, Booker doesn't want a Crown Victoria...he wants a Porche 911.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Who here has played the Terran campaign in the original Starcraft? How'd that turn out for Raynor?

ynohtna posted:

Aye, and I guess Booker himself has some prior experience of how difficult it is to justify slaughtering unarmed people (Wounded Knee).

Also this. Far as I'm aware the Founders are never explicitly said to have done machine gun purges.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Who here has played the Terran campaign in the original Starcraft? How'd that turn out for Raynor?

Also this. Far as I'm aware the Founders are never explicitly said to have done machine gun purges.

Oh I'm sure one day there will be a seemingly well-intentioned rebel group that doesn't turn out to be equally as bad if not worse than the people they're rebelling against!

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
The problem with the equivocation is both plotting in-narrative and the use of extremely race- and class-charged imagery clashes awkwardly with it in a way that is problematic at best. Notice - and this is important to repeat - that every single Vox Populi soldier we've seen so far belongs to a group that is not only downtrodden in a wretchedly unjust fashion within Columbia but belongs to a group that the contemporary wisdom would have viewed as "non-white". (Irish and Slavs aren't yet considered "white" at the time this game is set.)

It's a very abrupt, awkward sudden shift from "hey, this society literally stones interracial couples to death with baseballs and makes a big fete out of it, indulges in every horrific racist practice America ever did, has literally canonized John Wilkes Booth, and forced non-whites into a ghetto where they have to work 12-16 hour days for worthless company scrip" to "pity the victims of the uprising!"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Feinne posted:

Oh I'm sure one day there will be a seemingly well-intentioned rebel group that doesn't turn out to be equally as bad if not worse than the people they're rebelling against!

It's sadly what has happened to almost every violent revolutionary force in history no matter how just their cause has been. I know the whole "He who fights monsters yadda yadda yadda." thing is a cliché but it became one for a reason.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Forgall posted:

I got a feeling that it's just authors awkwardly putting their own beliefs into characters' mouths. And look, somebody called it pages ago:
I am now a confirmed psychic and will be available to purchase all your lottery numbers at premium discount prices.

Feinne posted:

The thing is, the system being rebelled against here is an amalgamated, concentrated, ultra-magnified distillation of all the absolutely worst parts of one of the nastiest eras in the history of the United States of America, a country which is spoilt for choice as far as things like that go. We are watching a society consisting of some of the (fictionalized) worst human beings in American history taking their philosophies one step further being violently destroyed, and we're being asked to consider its plight as equivalent to that of the people it lived on loving over. Like, I don't think anyone is under the illusion that all rebellions are just like Star Wars, yeah! but the level of heinousness that's going to need to be committed by this particular set of revolutionaries to make this situation as South Park as it is desperately trying to be is going to have to be loving absurd.
EDIT: and also really awkward to watch, because

Jetrauben posted:

The problem with the equivocation is both plotting in-narrative and the use of extremely race- and class-charged imagery clashes awkwardly with it in a way that is problematic at best. Notice - and this is important to repeat - that every single Vox Populi soldier we've seen so far belongs to a group that is not only downtrodden in a wretchedly unjust fashion within Columbia but belongs to a group that the contemporary wisdom would have viewed as "non-white". (Irish and Slavs aren't yet considered "white" at the time this game is set.)
Remember kids, the only thing as bad as a society of evil murderous racists is overthrowing that society.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 27, 2013

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Why couldn't we play the not-an-rear end in a top hat Booker?

Wonder when/if we'll be able to colour code this universe. Maybe this is the Red one and the previous (Lin is alive) one was just Purple, a stepping stone from Blue to Red?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Pidmon posted:

Why couldn't we play the not-an-rear end in a top hat Booker?

Wonder when/if we'll be able to colour code this universe. Maybe this is the Red one and the previous (Lin is alive) one was just Purple, a stepping stone from Blue to Red?
Whatever it was that made the last universe the last universe, this universe has even more of it.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

It's sadly what has happened to almost every violent revolutionary force in history no matter how just their cause has been. I know the whole "He who fights monsters yadda yadda yadda." thing is a cliché but it became one for a reason.

Revolution is hard because no matter how you swing it someone's going to die. You don't do it because you want everything to be awesome right afterwards, you're fighting to dismantle a system and replace it with a better one so people in the future will be better off.

Remember the whole vision where Columbia flies down and destroys a city? Pretty sure that's a Founder and not a Vox thing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So yeah, this is about where I felt like the game was insulting me by assuming I wouldn't think too hard about what was going on. Or at all really.

Why are we in this alternate dimension? Why to to finish our deal with Fitzroy of course. Except, Fitzroy doesn't have any deal to complete with us. This a completely different world so there is no guarantee you ever made the deal in the first place. Even if you had, the Vox CLEARLY have their guns already. To top it all off, Booker is a wall known person in this universe and is dead. So not only is there no deal to be completed, but Booker is also supposed to be dead and him just randomly showing up is obviously going to cause problems. Yet our two protagonists blindly follow through with their current plan, despite their being no indication that it will work at all.

Then, Booker talks about Fitzroy being just as bad as Comstock. This is obviously so you will think to yourself "Daisy is bad!", and by extension the rest of the Vox. Now if you've been paying attention at all, you know Fitzroy is nothing like Comstock. Comparing them is completely ridiculous. Right now the player has no reason to hate Daisy, but the writers want you too, so they randomly have Booker and Elizabeth muse on how she is just as bad as the egomaniac that oppresses over half his city without remorse. Then they go on trying to complete their idiotic deal with a person they apparently think is on the same level as Sky Hitler.

THEN THEY BLOW UP A loving AIRSHIP MY GOD WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?!? :psyduck: Other people have mentioned this, but I need to talk about it. I need to because this is where I had to pause for a moment to reflect on how STUPID the developers think you are. This sequence makes 0 sense. Your current goal is to acquire an airship to escape Columbia. So to do this you BLOW UP AN AIRSHIP. You literally jump on, kill everyone inside, take control of it, and then chose to destroy it rather than just fly it off to Paris. No explanation is given. There isn't an ATTEMPT to justify this to the player. The developers just said "hey, lets put in a part where you blow up an airship! That will be cool right? Don't worry about the story, nobody is gonna think about it anyways. EXPLOSIONS! :byodood:"

On one hand the game doesn't respect the player enough to have a coherent story where the gameplay doesn't create plot holes. On the other hand the developers expect you to really think hard about this setting and its characters. If you want me to take your story seriously, don't have me literally destroy the goal I'm supposed to be working towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
I interpreted Booker's comment re: Fitzroy and Comstock as an expression of his cynicism and his attitudes regarding hero figures in general. :shrug:

• Locked thread