Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

keyframe posted:

Yea the lens alone sells for $800. It is not even fair to compare it to the poo poo kit lenses other cameras come with.

The 18-55 in another mount can easily sell for 800 but in XF mount realistically you can get one 400 used. I was going to sell it to fund my XF14 purchase. But the used market price is low so I decided to keep it as a "wife lens". Its not worth the hassle to downgrade to the 16-50mm, now thats a real "kit lens".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Bird Law, I'm selling a nex 6 w/ lenses and stuff in the buy sell trade thread. It's in great shape and still under the factory warranty.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

ease posted:

Bird Law, I'm selling a nex 6 w/ lenses and stuff in the buy sell trade thread. It's in great shape and still under the factory warranty.

Thanks but I pulled the trigger on an X-E2 last night. Hopefully Amazon will have it in stock soon, can't wait to get it.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Oh cool, congrats. Enjoy that poo poo.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So as the OP hasn't been updated in a while, would anyone fill me in on the basic 3 models a newbie should be interested in? I'm looking at mirrorless as the smaller size will mean I carry it around a lot more and get more use out of it. Most of its use will be outdoors hiking, walking around cities and general tourist stuff.

It will essentially be a replacement for a point and shoot camera and I'm tired of getting blown out skylines and dark foregrounds on landscape shots, and I've recently been shown how easy it is to fix that with lightroom as long as you shoot in raw.

Thanks!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sri.Theo posted:

So as the OP hasn't been updated in a while, would anyone fill me in on the basic 3 models a newbie should be interested in? I'm looking at mirrorless as the smaller size will mean I carry it around a lot more and get more use out of it. Most of its use will be outdoors hiking, walking around cities and general tourist stuff.

It will essentially be a replacement for a point and shoot camera and I'm tired of getting blown out skylines and dark foregrounds on landscape shots, and I've recently been shown how easy it is to fix that with lightroom as long as you shoot in raw.

Thanks!

My kid's asleep and my wife's at work, so I'm just going to keep editing this until I get bored:

If your 2 big wants are portability and RAW, there is no mirrorless that competes with a point-and-shoot on fitting in a small space. But there are a couple of nice P&S cameras with larger-than-normal sensors and shoot very nice RAW. Look into the Sony RX100 and the Canon S series (S90, S95, etc.). The S90 can be had for $100-130, and is excellent.

Even the smallest mirrorless with the flattest lens is never going to fit in a (edit: pants) pocket, but they can get smallish. The cheapest Sony is the Nex-3 line. The 3n should be on the shelf at Best Buy with a nice carry around lens for $400-450, or used for around $300. The oldest Nex-3 is dirt cheap for the body now ($150ish), but it doesn't work well with the smaller kit the 3n comes with, meaning it comes with a much larger lens in the box. People tend to buy into NEX because it works really well with older lenses, which is good since there are really isn't much in the way of native lens selection. But if you're trying to stick one lens on a camera and throw it in a bag, the 3N with the kit 16-50 is a good, inexpensive option.

In M43, everyone says buy the Panasonic 20mm lens and the best body you care to afford. That lens is one of the big selling points of the system, apparently, and is worth investing in, even though its going to cost twice as much as whatever body you get.

SO:

If you want a camera to shoot RAW, fit in a backpack pocket, and do mostly landscapes and people standing in front of landscapes, I would research the Canon S series. Added bonus: if you drop an S90 off a mountain, you'll be madder about losing the pictures on the card than the actual camera. They are cheap and abundant.

If you want a camera with a bigger footprint, bigger sensor, and one good flexible lens to leave on it forever, the Nex-3N with the kit 16-50 is about as small/versatile/inexpensive you'll find in mirrorless. Added bonus, when you see someone doing this:

It's usually on a Nex. If that sends chills up your spine, add points.

If you want a camera with the strongest overall lens selection, most body choices, and most room to move up if you want to get more serious, the M43 line is the way to go. Added bonus: this has arguably the best mirrorless lens available (between Nex and M43 lineups) and what you actually attach it to is much less important. If you're leaving it on the camera forever, it's going to be much better overall than the Nex's 16-50 (from what I've heard).

Fuji makes a mirrorless people in here love. It costs a million dollars and everyone will tell you to shoot in JPEG. (Neither of those are 100% true.)

Nikon makes a mirrorless nobody likes. I tried to buy one on clearance at Target for $98 a few weeks ago but they couldn't find the box for the display. If you want a mirrorless you don't mind dropping off a mountain, I guess this is your camera??

History of Mirrorless as I understand it:
Essentially, the $100 off-the-shelf P&S market is going to die because of smartphones. Companies developed the mirrorless technology expecting P&S users to upgrade into these systems, and most developed their systems, and in particular their UIs, to reflect this. Slightly larger cameras, much better pictures, the P&S controls you already know and love.

Except, P&S upgraders just laterally moved into their phones and the mirrorless systems turned into a big hit with DSLR shooters looking to get image quality they're used to in a 1/2 sized package. So all these user-friendly UIs designed for upgraders end up turning off the DSLR "downgraders" who are used to having multiple control interfaces and user interfaces that actually make sense.

So the first big hits turned out to be the systems that skewed closer to DSLR than P&S, hence the Nikon being un-loved and the big Olympus bodies taking off. Could have gone the other way. Didn't. Makers have been adjusting to the less-expected market latching on, adding DSLR functionality slowly.

Basically, when Sony launched the Nex line to give P&S upgraders a place to move into, they probably had no idea they would be shoving a full-frame sensor into that body a half-decade later. But here we are!

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 23, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Huxley posted:

Even the smallest mirrorless with the flattest lens is never going to fit in a pocket, but they can get smallish.

Er, what? You mean pants pockets? Who shoves cameras in their pants pockets? Most any mirrorless camera + pancake prime should fit in sweater or jacket pockets, though. Even APS-C with those 20-50mm power zooms could fit in some pockets.

I think the EOS-M is still the cheapest APS-C to buy new at the moment, although craiglist/kijiji might have unopened NX1000s for relatively cheap (Canada seems to be a seller's market for used camera gear because asking prices seem stupidly high).

evil_bunnY posted:

Even Samsung has a better first party lineup :laugh:

Even? There are probably as many or more first party NX primes (10,16,20,30,45,60,85) than NEX (16,20,24,30,50,35 announced?). There have to be since Samyang/Rokinon seem to be the only company Samsung allows to make NX mount lenses.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

Er, what? You mean pants pockets? Who shoves cameras in their pants pockets? Most any mirrorless camera + pancake prime should fit in sweater or jacket pockets, though. Even APS-C with those 20-50mm power zooms could fit in some pockets.

My S90 stayed in my jeans pocket, which is where I think most cameras that size are designed to fit. It's not a huge difference in size, but when you're packing for a hike the difference in size between a RAW point and shoot and a mirrorless with a power zoom or even a pancake is relevant.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, Mirrorless cameras with PZ/pancake lenses are way smaller than a normal DSLR, but they're still not really going to fit in a pants pocket or be anywhere near as small as a RAW point and shoot.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I carry my OM-D with a 400mm lens in my pocket.

Get better pockets, scrubs.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

I carry my OM-D with a 400mm lens in my pocket.

Get better pockets, scrubs.

When considering a mirrorless system, take a long hard look at your pockets as well as your pocketbook.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sri.Theo posted:

Thanks!

You didn't say you budget
200: used EOS M + any one lens
300: beat up used NEX 3 + lens
400: used NEX 5n + 18-55 or 16-50,
or EOS M plus both lens
or used RX100
500: RX100 , NEX5R+kit lens
600: XA-1+16-50

From the way you ask tye question I still recommend the RX100. I didn't mention any m43 option because I don't follow their price.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

That said, an om-d with the kit lens is probably my favorite hiking camera. Rugged and weather sealed, although the prism hump prevents it from being pants pocket friendly.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I hate the kit lens for the OMD :(

Wish they released all the primes weather sealed, but they didn't for whatever reason.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

a weather sealed 15-25 mm lens would be doooooope.

The high end weather sealed options are nice, but i'm not sure they're nice enough to justify the massive price hike compared to the kit lens.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

keyframe posted:

I hate the kit lens for the OMD :(

Wish they released all the primes weather sealed, but they didn't for whatever reason.

Though the 12-40 is a pretty rad kit lens :smug:

Seriously, it was like half the reason I went for the E-M1.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yes I'm definitely considering replacing my 12-50 with the new 12-40. F2.8 constant aperture? Yes please!

Although the 12-50, for all it's shortcomings, is a very versatile lens.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Wengy posted:

Though the 12-40 is a pretty rad kit lens :smug:

Seriously, it was like half the reason I went for the E-M1.

Are you talking about the 12-40 f2.8? I was not aware there was a bundle option with EM-1 (a google search failed me as well)

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Huxley posted:

My kid's asleep and my wife's at work, so I'm just going to keep editing this until I get bored:

I really appreciate the advice from you guys, so thanks!

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

keyframe posted:

Are you talking about the 12-40 f2.8? I was not aware there was a bundle option with EM-1 (a google search failed me as well)

Yes, the E-M1 is sold as a kit with the 12-40 or the 12-50. Where I live (Switzerland), the former costs about 500 bucks more than the latter, but it's really a no brainer. The 12-40 is an amazing lens.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I can throw my K01 with a 50mm lens into my messenger bag with my laptop and it's not even too noticeable. Is it really comparable to a full sized DSLR though...? I know we all joke but it's my first "real" camera so I actually wouldn't know.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

change my name posted:

I can throw my K01 with a 50mm lens into my messenger bag with my laptop and it's not even too noticeable. Is it really comparable to a full sized DSLR though...? I know we all joke but it's my first "real" camera so I actually wouldn't know.

When it was released it was something like the 3rd highest rated crop sensor in image quality ever. So other than it being really ugly, you're doin alright.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Every time someone says that I hear it as "but it has a great personality!".

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Gorgeous contemporary styling by world renowned designer Marc Newson

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Never thought I would see someone who actually bought that camera.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The hell?! You can now order the Fuji 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 from amazon.com (not 3rd party) for $500

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CNZTPGA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1UX57SYERNISP&coliid=I2J9CW5583V5ZE

It's back ordered but hey its 200 cheaper.

I hate Fuji throw out deals like that. It doesn't benefit the royal Fuji users. I have no idea when I should buy the next lens on my wish list.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I tend to check Fuji rumors before I make plans to buy any first party Fuji glass. Generally they have a good indication when a deal is coming down or currently active.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Any recommendations on 23 or 35 manual focus primes? These are the main lengths I'm interested in, but I could be persuaded to go somewhere in between. Anywhere from $30-$400 would be fair game.

edit: seems to be a lot of 24mm - Minolta, Nikon, Canon, etc. Do any of these stand out as being amazing lenses/deals?

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 26, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Helicity posted:

Any recommendations on 23 or 35 manual focus primes? These are the main lengths I'm interested in, but I could be persuaded to go somewhere in between. Anywhere from $30-$400 would be fair game.

edit: seems to be a lot of 24mm - Minolta, Nikon, Canon, etc. Do any of these stand out as being amazing lenses/deals?

You should check out Samyang lenses, specifically the 35/1.4 and 24/1.4. Both of them are high-performance lenses that stack up very well against first-party L-series lenses (meets or exceeds them). The catch is that they're manual-focus only, which you don't have a problem with. Samyang doesn't market them directly, so if you buy a "Vivitar" or "Rokinon" or "Bower" 35/1.4 you're getting a Samyang lens.

I have a Minolta Rokkor-X 24/2.8 I haven't played with due to a lack of adapter. Reportedly they're pretty good. I have used a Takumar 35mm f/3.5 and the K-mount SMC Pentax 35/3.5 and that's an incredibly great lens for the money it goes for. The SMC Pentax (K-series, not M) 28/2 is also supposed to be really good, but they're pretty rare.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 26, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Helicity posted:

On the cheap end of the spectrum the takumar 35/3.5 (smc variant is ideal) is amazingly sharp. Not as fast as the samnyang/rokinon option, but can be had for around 60 bucks.

It's the pentax me super of lenses.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mr. Despair posted:

On the cheap end of the spectrum the takumar 35/3.5 (smc variant is ideal) is amazingly sharp. Not as fast as the samnyang/rokinon option, but can be had for around 60 bucks.

It's the pentax me super of lenses.

I've been looking for this one everywhere but only finding the M42 kind. Isn't there a K-mount Pentax prime version too? Which one are you guys referring to?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

change my name posted:

I've been looking for this one everywhere but only finding the M42 kind. Isn't there a K-mount Pentax prime version too? Which one are you guys referring to?

There's a k mount but it costs twice as much and is optically the same. Even if you're using it on a k-mount camera there isn't much reason to get it over the m42 version.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

change my name posted:

They are optically the same. The K-mount one just works on K-mount cameras. The M42 can be used on a spotmatic with normal functionality (SMC + Spotmatic F or later gives open aperture metering). The M42 lens can also be used on K-mount with a little adapter that holds the lens properly but doesn't transfer aperture ring position or stopdown, in which case you need to turn the ring and meter before you shoot.

On a mirrorless camera everything will be manual-stop down anyway, so you're not losing anything.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 26, 2013

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oh I know all of that, it's just that I've been a little wary of M42 lenses since I always have problems with ratcheting them in the socket hard enough to get it to focus to infinity.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, I've had some cheaply made M42->EOS adapters.

You could get a K-mount adapter and then a M42-K ring to put inside that.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Did this slip by the fuji folks here?

http://www.fujirumors.com/weather-sealed-x-double-sd-card-slot-and-omd-shape/

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I hate the OMD/A7 fake prism. Well there may be something to the weather sealed rumor. If Fuji wants to cater the the "pro" photographers they might as well put a 2nd wheel some where in the front. Look forward to Fuji replacing the top end 14/23/56 series with the weather sealed versions so I can pick up an original XF14 for cheap.

In other news I got the cheap plastic "thumb up" grips from ebay today. I really like it. It doesn't look that cheap and there is no screw so you don't need to carry a hex screw to take it off. It's not loose like the metal ones, you need both hands to push it on the hotshoe. You have to search "thumbs up 2 pieces" for them. There are only 1-2 vendors sell it on ebay so some times the auctions end around $7 dollars but I paid $3.5 for 2.

(Plastic one on the XE1, metal one on the EOS M)

edit, oh the best thing, it has a little piece rest on the XE1 EXP COM wheel so now its much harder to move the EXP wheel by accident.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 26, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Gonna look like a Fujica ST. Probably same price as the Xpro. Mirrorbox will house a better, bigger EVF.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

whatever7 posted:

I hate the OMD/A7 fake prism. Well there may be something to the weather sealed rumor. If Fuji wants to cater the the "pro" photographers they might as well put a 2nd wheel some where in the front. Look forward to Fuji replacing the top end 14/23/56 series with the weather sealed versions so I can pick up an original XF14 for cheap.

In other news I got the cheap plastic "thumb up" grips from ebay today. I really like it. It doesn't look that cheap and there is no screw so you don't need to carry a hex screw to take it off. It's not loose like the metal ones, you need both hands to push it on the hotshoe. You have to search "thumbs up 2 pieces" for them. There are only 1-2 vendors sell it on ebay so some times the auctions end around $7 dollars but I paid $3.5 for 2.

(Plastic one on the XE1, metal one on the EOS M)

edit, oh the best thing, it has a little piece rest on the XE1 EXP COM wheel so now its much harder to move the EXP wheel by accident.

yeah and i hate the fake rangefinder evf location on the xe-1/2.

deal with it :colbert:

e. weather sealing is great though, my camera got covered in dust today so I just rinsed it off. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

yeah and i hate the fake rangefinder evf location on the xe-1/2.

deal with it :colbert:

e. weather sealing is great though, my camera got covered in dust today so I just rinsed it off. :buddy:

The fake prism serve no purpose. It's like the fake air in take on the Mini Cooper S. Camera with a "forehead" like that its a hell lot harder to get out of a jacket pocket.