Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

PrinceRandom posted:

How exactly can you make a playable Republic?

I've tried granting coastal counties to a mayor and it makes a Republic that is unplayable.

You need to give them a duchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Like James said, there aren't any more showstopping bugs, but they've said they're aiming for a larger update in mid-December that may, one can hope, rebalance whatever needs rebalancing.

That's a shame, aren't event troops and hordes still hosed?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Anyone who doesn't role play probably thinks I sound like the biggest dork right now, but gently caress it, the game's more fun this way :cheeky:
I had a game where my kind, content, gluttonous uncle was my regent. He was a grey eminence with good stats so I picked him to educate me. I didn't get any events about him being a dick and ran with the idea of us being best buds. Until I reached majority, everything sailed along nicely. I figured we were too busy just hanging out, having a good time.

He died shortly after I turned 16 and I was actually kind of bummed. I gave his son/my cousin a duchy and then realized I was playing CASTLE FAMILY SIMULATOR and decided to take a break.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Tom Smykowski posted:

I gave his son/my cousin a duchy and then realized I was playing CASTLE FAMILY SIMULATOR and decided to take a break.

...this isn't Castle Family Simulator?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Arbitrary Coin posted:

This is kinda petty, but is there a way to change nation color and flags? Just made Britannia and really don't like the color.

crusader kings ii\common\landed_titles\landed_titles.txt will let you change the color. Search e_britannia and change the 3 digit color code to whatever you want. Backup the file or (more properly) make a mini mod that just changes this one file.

Flags are under graphics\flags

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Due to court intrigue well beyond your understanding, your awesome regent has been replaced with a mediocre bumbler. Due to court intrigue well beyond your understanding, your mediocre bumbler has been replaced with a worthless rear end in a top hat. Due to court intrigue well beyond your understanding, your worthless rear end in a top hat has been replaced with a worthless rear end in a top hat who is also evil and hates you. Due to court intrigue...

I never did figure out why that kept happening. Who even appoints the regent? It used to always be my chancellor but I've never been on the other side of the regency.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Mailer posted:

Who even appoints the regent? It used to always be my chancellor but I've never been on the other side of the regency.

If I recall correctly it's dependent on the intrigue stat, at least to start with. Someone who's done some digging around in the game files can probably tell us more.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

So now I loaded up as King of Asturias and granted Galicia to a mayor. Should I have also have given him a county? It's looking like I'm going to lose my titles...

Edit: It's okay now, I hosed over the kind/humble count of Santiago and took his title

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 26, 2013

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am beset by a plague of Tengri-Worshiping Germans. Bavaria went HAM on Hungry. Then all Bavaria decided to convert to Tengriism in a single decade. So I holy warred them and smashed them apart, took their land, and gave it to my relatives.

Unfortunately, this triggered a plague of the converts showing up at the courts of the other German kingdoms, where their retarded Catholic relatives decided to have them tutor their children or something. I think every Catholic kingdom east of the Pyrenees has had a Tengri ruler over the last 50 years and every succession I end up with a bunch of Dukes that hate me because they converted when I wasn't paying attention. This is despite Tengri having a moral authority of like 40 compared to Catholics 100.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mailer posted:

I never did figure out why that kept happening. Who even appoints the regent? It used to always be my chancellor but I've never been on the other side of the regency.

If you're eligible to be a regent (any councilor, parent of the underage ruler, current tutor of the underage ruler, I think the Muslim court lawyer/judge title that I can never remember), you may get an event giving you the ability to try and take over as regent. I don't know how it works, just that I ended up as regent a couple times.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It just occurred to me that something potentially interesting that's missing from this game is assumed gender. In medieval times and into the renaissance, every once in a while a prominent man would turn out to have actually been a woman the entire time, not necessarily because they're transgender as we understand it, but simply to get ahead in the world.

It could be interesting if your lowborn courtiers would occasionally turn out to be women in disguise, but this could potentially be really hard to implement with the existing systems. Simplest implementation would be for the game to treat them as men, but have a trait that confers a massive penalty to fertility and a significant bonus to intrigue (since they'd have to be pretty cunning to keep it a secret that long).

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

So should the Shia have this many troops after they form a Caliphate? Cause this war was over in at most a week.

Edit: Jeez, you can even see where all the HRE and us Asturians troops were marshaled at and still they've overrun what they wanted.

Edit2: I figured it out. It's CK2+. It's spawning the Aztec invasion early, but it's also giving the Aztec invaders to random lieges. The dude in Morocco (not even the King) has a 430k stack with all Aztec leaders. Another reason to hold of on it I suppose.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 26, 2013

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

PrinceRandom posted:

Edit2: I figured it out. It's CK2+. It's spawning the Aztec invasion early, but it's also giving the Aztec invaders to random lieges. The dude in Morocco (not even the King) has a 430k stack with all Aztec leaders. Another reason to hold of on it I suppose.

I was about to ask what the hell was going on with those names. Now I know why everyone was bitching about it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mailer posted:

I was about to ask what the hell was going on with those names. Now I know why everyone was bitching about it.

What, you don't want the map to be covered in 22 character-long names in a wide variety of languages you don't know? Then I guess you don't get to use CK2+ because buddy, those names are e-loving-ssential to the experience.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

It shouldn't be too hard to replace all the default names with the ones in base CK2, while keeping all the alternate names for different cultured titles. I don't know why they didn't just start doing this through landed_titles to start off with, though.

Before we get into a map debate, you get used to it pretty quickly. It's not so bad if you delete the tiny internal borders.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

DStecks posted:

What, you don't want the map to be covered in 22 character-long names in a wide variety of languages you don't know? Then I guess you don't get to use CK2+ because buddy, those names are e-loving-ssential to the experience.

I kinda like the names. The map is ehhh. The Aztec thing is pretty bad.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The Aztec thing is a bug that has (supposedly - I never saw it in either version) been fixed in the latest release, last weekend. There's an optional "revert to base names" submod in beta that should be released in the next patch (and seems to work fine for me to the extent that I use it.)

The map is ehhh.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I don't mind the map so much, I play German or Scandinavian nations almost exclusively so I know all the province names already. And I actually appreciate some of the larger duchies because it makes some of the smaller kingdoms bigger.

Still there's a bunch of weird bullshit in CK2+ now that I have no idea why they added, I'm still angry about the Dungeons and Sieges mod.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I don't mind the map so much, I play German or Scandinavian nations almost exclusively so I know all the province names already. And I actually appreciate some of the larger duchies because it makes some of the smaller kingdoms bigger.

Still there's a bunch of weird bullshit in CK2+ now that I have no idea why they added, I'm still angry about the Dungeons and Sieges mod.

Oh yeah. That one is also really, really bad. Paradox just fixed siege pop-up events and now I get a new one that lets me imprison an entire family?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
When I wrote up the localized title name mod, I expected people to treat it as optional, and if I'd been lazy, I would've made a version that didn't include localized duchy or kingdom names.

The main reason I made it was because I was sick of seeing the Anglo-Saxons hold their territory, only to find nobles with generated names like "of Winchester."

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Shadeoses posted:

Any idea on how to play from Erik the Heathen for maximum Norse mischief? In every single game, the King of Sweden will revoke and imprison you into extinction. Fighting him isn't possible, since you have maybe 1000 levies max, while Sweden can raise 3000-4000 and call in Denmark or Norway. Expanding aggressively into nearby pagan lands is limited due to a lot of them having garrisons equal to your levies, and supply limits smaller than the garrisons. And of course half the time your own Norse vassals will betray you.

The most success I had was when the Stenkils were really lovely kings and Erik was awesome, so for a year every few weeks there would be a cycle of bloodless faction-powered coups between Erik and Stenkil, but that eventually ended when my aunt pressed her claim and the entry of a third party just ruined everything.

Starting in the War of the Two Eriks is even worse because it's immediately your tiny lovely levy against the combined armies of Catholic Scandinavia.

Here's some info I wrote up earlier:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718&pagenumber=240&perpage=40#post420904008

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718&pagenumber=240&perpage=40#post420913844

This works quite well, but it can all go bad very quickly.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm sure the flag for defeating the Aztecs is broken. Can anyone who's gone through the Sunset Invasion tell me if there is ever a second invasion? There's an event for a 2nd invasion in the files, but I think that fired almost immediately in my game for a kingdom outside my borders, which I joined after fending them off me. I defeated them before they managed to conquer any land, but still got intermittent flavour about their goings on back home afterward and never got a message for defeating them or the achievement.

edit: this is the trigger for their defeat:

code:
trigger = {
		has_global_flag = aztec_arrival_2
		has_landed_title = e_mexikha
		has_earmarked_regiments = 0
		is_landed = no

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 26, 2013

Keisari
May 24, 2011

I managed to snip out that Dungeons mod and I also managed to restore the map, but I encountered some horrible bugs that prevent me from releasing it as a modmod, I'm off to work soon but I'll continue on my work tomorrow. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll probably release it under the name "CK2Minus" or something like that, it'd be ck2+ without the new map and without the dungeons mod that lets you imprison an entire family. If I can't get it fixed I'll just release it with the new map but without dungeons.

The new map is cool and all, and you can see it has a lot of effort put into it, but at least for me it makes gameplay harder.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

I think the new SoA mechanics have made it harder. Now, your vassal Norse bros are all shiftless bastards who won't give you any levies and also try overthrowing you. Stenkil will be revoking your titles before the end of the year, and his army is five times the size of yours, plus Norway and Denmark. I think that as a vassal of Catholics, you can't raid and you suffer the severe pagan defensive attrition, so you can't even raid southerners or conquer Finns.

The only way I can imagine winning in that start is if Erik had excellent traits and the whole Stenkil line was filled with short-lived incompetents suffering constant revolts, so that you could operate unmolested for a few years and maybe even get popular support for the throne.

Most of all, the most annoying part is how easily your Norse buddies are converted. You look away and suddenly a vassal count, two mayors, your son and three courtiers have embraced the White Christ. Right after you hanged some prisoners at the Blot for their entertainment!

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

PrinceRandom posted:

This happened with the Seljuk horde in my vanilla SoA game. I'm not sure it's just CK2+.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PrinceRandom posted:

Oh yeah. That one is also really, really bad. Paradox just fixed siege pop-up events and now I get a new one that lets me imprison an entire family?

I suppose it's a MY IMMERSION thing (and as a role player that appeals to me): the idea is that someone being besieged gets the option to either stay in the castle and command or go hide in the countryside / elsewhere, but anyone in the castle when it falls is fair game. On the flipside, it also provides at least one way to free someone's prisoners that the base game does not - when the castle they're being held in falls you can release them. There are probably more features involved, these are just the ones I've noticed.

All fair enough, but if you're going to package it for general release rather than an optional submod it may need to be more balanced from a gameplay perspective as well. If I were fixing it I'd look at how likely the AI is to send people away, at the very least.

edit: amusingly enough, Project Balance and AGOT both integrated it as non-optional themselves, though the PB team apparently rebalanced it a bit in ways that might be worth looking at?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 26, 2013

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I noticed that holding someone's close relatives also adds war score, how new is that feature?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

That was added in the patch alongside TOG.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Real Quaid posted:

Thanks guys. I'll wait for the sale and get Old Gods, SoA, and Legacy of Rome .

Considering how cheap they will be, Sword of Islam and The Republic are certainly worth getting. Muslim decadence has a revamp planned, and it's fixed in mods like CK2+ anyway. A huge portion of the map is Muslim, so it's very worth it in my opinion. Republics are just plain fun.

Ruler designer is also worth it so you can do oddball starts like a Zoroastrian in Ireland or whatever you like.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Ruler designer is also worth it so you can do oddball starts like a Zoroastrian in Ireland or whatever you like.

Just an FYI, if you haven't bought the game yet, I would advise against playing an Irish Zoroastrian unless you want to get dogpiled right out of the gate.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Keisari posted:

I managed to snip out that Dungeons mod and I also managed to restore the map, but I encountered some horrible bugs that prevent me from releasing it as a modmod, I'm off to work soon but I'll continue on my work tomorrow. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll probably release it under the name "CK2Minus" or something like that, it'd be ck2+ without the new map and without the dungeons mod that lets you imprison an entire family. If I can't get it fixed I'll just release it with the new map but without dungeons.

The new map is cool and all, and you can see it has a lot of effort put into it, but at least for me it makes gameplay harder.

I haven't had a chance yet to play the newest CK2+ release (the one that fixes the Aztec stuff), but apparently they have rebalanced the dungeons/sieges mod. I'd still rather it not be around at all, though. I actually like the new map, and I don't mind the localized titles that much, but you can definitely tell that the mod has lost a single, central vision of purpose at this point. It's crammed to the gills with stuff that is "kind-of-cool-but-does-it-really-need-to-be-here?" I'm not sure what was so wrong with the earlier system, where CK+ was popular enough that most of the smaller mods had compatible options with it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DStecks posted:

Just an FYI, if you haven't bought the game yet, I would advise against playing an Irish Zoroastrian unless you want to get dogpiled right out of the gate.

Dogpiled is the natural state of the Zoroastrian in this game anyway.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Fuligin posted:

I'm not sure what was so wrong with the earlier system, where CK+ was popular enough that most of the smaller mods had compatible options with it.

I'm kind of sympathetic to the integrationist urge if only because, while Paradox has made it easier as they've patched the game, it's still tons easier, both from the user's and coder's perspective, to deal with one large mod than making several smaller modules (whether they're your submods or, god forbid, someone else's even with compatibility patches) play nice together and with the main mod. But when you're doing work for a large audience it's never quite as simple as what's easiest or most efficient.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
A buddy of mine played this game for the first time a week or so ago, and man, I haven't had so much fun as I have in multiplayer. We both went Norse and made our own guys, and of course he made his guy a lunatic. I told him we're probably gonna have to start from scratch because obviously he's gonna rage quit.

I get deposed a year later for accidentally backstabbing the brothers invading Britain (my score was -108), meanwhile Grimnir Demonblood (yes) fights Cthulhu (and survives), makes a really dumb runestone (that everyone loved) and created the Kingdom of Sweden (that I was shortly vassalised into). He died in battle, as a viking berzerker, at the ripe old age of 80 and ended with like 8k points.

It was pretty great!

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Well, that was a real good Iron Man run that went bad due to the bullshit "Random dude comes in to take one of your titles"

It's pretty clear I'm going to lose, as his 20,000 guys rolled over my 11,000. Is he just going to take my King of Norway crown and go independent with it? Or does te fact I'm the Emperor of Scandanavia mean that he just gets vassaled?

I'm not going to lie, losing my heartland to bullshit like that is going to sting if that's the case, especially when the guy who did it has an unlimited duration 15,000 man stack that could take on pretty much all comers.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Alectai posted:

Well, that was a real good Iron Man run that went bad due to the bullshit "Random dude comes in to take one of your titles"

It's pretty clear I'm going to lose, as his 20,000 guys rolled over my 11,000. Is he just going to take my King of Norway crown and go independent with it? Or does te fact I'm the Emperor of Scandanavia mean that he just gets vassaled?

I'm not going to lie, losing my heartland to bullshit like that is going to sting if that's the case, especially when the guy who did it has an unlimited duration 15,000 man stack that could take on pretty much all comers.

It's not the end of the world.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Is it ever possible for the player to get infinitely loyal superpowered mercs? Losing a game to that sucked.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
So, I'm trying to create a mini-mod to change some country colors.

I have /CrusaderKingsII/mod/Color_Change/common/landed_titles/landed_titles.txt with the appropriate color values changed.

In my mod folder I have a "CC.mod" folder with the following lines.

name = "Color Change"
path = "mod/Color Change"
user_dir = "Color Change"
replace_path = "common/landed_titles"
replace_path = "landed_titles"

nothing is changed and I have men with listed causes of death as childbirth. What did I do wrong?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

You forgot the _ apparently?

Males dying in childbirth is a vanilla bug, I've already read about it elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

So, with regard to the Mongol Empire at the Genghis Khan start, is it better to put my demesne in the nice Persian duchies and miss out on access to the steppe warrior/riding grounds or go for the shittier steppe provinces?

• Locked thread