Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Pointless fetch quests, isn't that the whole point of zelda games. You start out as <link ver. 859gamma>, speak to thematic character for some expository dialogue, find your sword, fetch your shield, plot happens, you fight [false bad guy], defeat him, then you fight gannondorf, rescue zelda and it's game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Ka0 posted:

Pointless fetch quests, isn't that the whole point of zelda games. You start out as <link ver. 859gamma>, speak to thematic character for some expository dialogue, find your sword, fetch your shield, plot happens, you fight [false bad guy], defeat him, then you fight gannondorf, rescue zelda and it's game over.

This was more like "explore this huge, empty, and convoluted area to find 6 hidden things that you can only find with a dowsing rod that depends on temperamental motion controls to work". When you're fetching your sword and shield it at least has a purpose, and you actually gain something and improve in some way. These were just obvious attempts at stretching the game out

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ka0 posted:

I know the wii did the impossible with other M, by producing a bad Metroid game; could someone please give me the 411 on why zelda: skyward sword is bad? (or at least not up to fantastically high nintendo fanboy standards)

Motion controls add nothing to the experience at best and are unresponsive at worst, bosses get reused, levels get reused constantly, the sky makes the Great Sea from WW look full in comparison, and Fi is arguably the worst sidekick in the franchise, constantly telling you how to do everything multiple times cause Nintendo thinks you're a dumb baby who can't play videogames.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Barudak posted:

Motion Controls are poor, overworld lacks anything to really do with it, constant aggravating tutorials that often repeat themselves later, Motion Controls.

Did you get all that?
>No
Yes

THIS. I think I spent an hour doing tutorials and the forced story before I gave up and never touched it again.

Edit: Polygon has this up today and I thought it would be a very different read given the title:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/25/5143286/the-wii-u-proves-you-should-wait-before-buying-a-new-console

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 26, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Crowbear posted:

That makes sense. I grew up in a place where the SNES was THE console, so it's weird to think that there are people buying systems these days that don't have that nostalgic connection to Nintendo.

I think SNES has more become THE console in retrospect even in North America, really. Nintendo destroyed Sega in Japan, but everywhere else it was pretty close in terms of sales. Sega nearly went tits up ten years ago and became a third party, made a string of terrible Sonic games and their brand is just really diluted now.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 26, 2013

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Jaded perspectives. In Europe and Aus/NZ, Nintendo all but abandoned the market to the PC, Sega or Commodore. We didn't complain because 1) nostalgia wasn't an industry back then and 2) we got cool games too.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Ka0 posted:

Jaded perspectives. In Europe and Aus/NZ, Nintendo all but abandoned the market to the PC, Sega or Commodore. We didn't complain because 1) nostalgia wasn't an industry back then and 2) we got cool games too.

Yeah man, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. I can remember a few years in the early 90s where everyone thought the SNES was "Totally gay and for babbies." Everyone talks about Sega Genesis now like it sold five consoles at a K-Mart in Wyomming, but the only times Nintendo ever totally dominated the home console market in North America were in the 1980s and late 2000s.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 26, 2013

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ka0 posted:

People keep saying that Nintendo wasn't that big in Europe, but from my experience growing up in Sweden during the 90's I would say Nintendo were pretty big, even after Sony released their Playstation. I myself didn't have any Nintendo console, but lots of my friends (or their older siblings) had a NES/SNES/N64. Very few hade a Master System or Mega Drive/Genesis.

This was of course during the mid to late 90's, after the Commodore and Master System craze, and my own experience isn't representative of either Sweden or the rest of Europe, so I may be full of poo poo.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Skyward Sword was actually the game that stopped me ever taking another 10/10 review seriously until there's some sort of popular consensus. I pretty much never buy games at launch now.

Took that long? Twilight Princess didn't clue you in?

I've been thinking for a while that I can't really consider a WiiU until we hear about a Mario & Luigi game for it, and I just realized that now I really want a Link & Zelda spinoff game. It would be perfect!

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

MrBims posted:

Took that long? Twilight Princess didn't clue you in?

I never read reviews for that one, I needed a game at launch when I got my Wii and I figured no Zelda could really be bad. And to be honest while I never want to play it again I really enjoyed it at the time. Skyward Sword was the first one I really disliked.

Assassin's Creed III was another one I bought at launch, not because of reviews but because I loved its predecessors. It was only when I compared the bug-ridden, boring mess it was to the epitome of perfection described in reviews that I swore off that series too. AC4 looks good but I'm not getting it until its on sale.

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 26, 2013

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Some of y'all are getting way too invested in this, citing clueless parents buying the wrong thing (i.e. every pre-teen kid's nightmare) as a desirable outcome is pretty weird imo. Either the Wii U will get a second wind in the form of a big investment in first/second party game development by Nintendo alongside decent ads actually informing people they exist and are fun, or the system will deservedly tank and that will be the end of it, not sure why we'd want Nintendo to succeed regardless of their platform's merits.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ka0 posted:

No, that's storyline and part of the game's dynamic.

Skyword Sword is the most fresh in my mind, but it had the Silent Realm which I was fine with as it was kind of stealth and strategy based in way. But then there was that loving song you had to find... I remember the song being broken into three parts, and you find the first two parts and that's cool. Then you get to the third part and somehow the individual notes have been scattered across the forest and you need to find them all. Just... gently caress you Nintendo. Skyward Sword is easily 40 hours, maybe 50 if you do some of the completionist stuff. You don't need fetch quests to pad out a game that long. Or want to enter the temple? Well find the five pieces that have been inexplicably scattered throughout the area. The entire dowsing mechanic was built around needing to find poo poo.

Game was still fun as hell though. I could have just done without 5 hours of fetch quests. Meanwhile I actually kind of enjoy stuff like finding the Riddler trophies in Arkham City because they are entirely optional and I don't have to do all of them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TaurusOxford posted:

Motion controls add nothing to the experience at best and are unresponsive at worst, bosses get reused, levels get reused constantly, the sky makes the Great Sea from WW look full in comparison, and Fi is arguably the worst sidekick in the franchise, constantly telling you how to do everything multiple times cause Nintendo thinks you're a dumb baby who can't play videogames.

Don't forget the camera panning to the objects you needed to complete a puzzle.

Also finding a map, the game telling you what the map did, then Fi telling you what the map did again.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
You know how skyward sword had the horrible motion controls?

Well, The Legend of Zelda: The Next One has to shoehorn some dumb tablet gimmick in there.

Granted, it could be something mostly harmless, like inventory management or map, but more likely they will have some annoying accessory you have to use constantly.

e: Oh man, I hope they revisit Phantom hourglass and have the whole game be played with the touch screen.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Tap screen to use selected hookshot/shovel/bomb/any zelda accessory ever.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I have a tiny speck of faith that getting A Link Between Worlds so right shows they've learned their lesson

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Boiled Water posted:

Tap screen to use selected hookshot/shovel/bomb/any zelda accessory ever.

Tap screen to select, then aim with the tablet in first person

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Wheany posted:

Tap screen to select, then aim with the tablet in first person

this would be fuckin' rad though.

Well at least the gyro aiming would be. I guess having to look at the controller would be dumb but since that's not going to happen I'm not too worried about it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

romanowski posted:

this would be fuckin' rad though.

Well at least the gyro aiming would be.

I will find out where you live and pee in your mailbox.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PrBacterio posted:

Well, the usual staple Nintendo titles that come with every console they release, they've only just now, one year after the console, released the first AAA title out of that range. At this point they can only hope that this will get more people to consider buying into the console, like it did for me.

2D Mario games always sell better than 3D ones, and they launched with one of those.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I have a tiny speck of faith that getting A Link Between Worlds so right shows they've learned their lesson

Watch them put in more padding and NPC interaction if enough people complain LBW was too short or that the characters felt lifeless or something like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Watch them put in more padding and NPC interaction if enough people complain LBW was too short or that the characters felt lifeless or something like that.

That's exactly that the lowest review on Meta complains about, and there's already a bunch of people talking about how it is too short to be worth buying.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
A Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D World are both ludicrously good and make me feel a lot better about Nintendo's first party stuff, so yea, they can't keep that up.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Wheany posted:

I will find out where you live and pee in your mailbox.

The gyro aiming was legit good in Wind Waker HD and you could still use the right stick if you wanted to so go ahead and pee on all the mail addressed to former residents of my house, see what I care :colbert:

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Fulchrum posted:

2D Mario games always sell better than 3D ones, and they launched with one of those.

Yeah, but people haven't bought systems for 2D Mario games, or any 2d platformer, since the early 1990s. It's just this thing you pick up because it's there, you know? I bought a 3DS for Mario 3D Land, but I wouldn't have bought one for NSMB2.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'm assuming they'll use second screen aiming, like on the Link's Archery Range minigame? I figured it was basically a 'look what the next zelda game will have' thing.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I think SNES has more become THE console in retrospect even in North America, really. Nintendo destroyed Sega in Japan, but everywhere else it was pretty close in terms of sales. Sega nearly went tits up ten years ago and became a third party, made a string of terrible Sonic games and their brand is just really diluted now.

The funny thing is, the Genesis/Megadrive sold more than the Super Nintendo in every market other than Japan.

Sega did go tits up, well before a decade ago. Multiple missteps, starting with the SegaCD, doomed them as a household hardware firm. (Meanwhile, their arcade division has done well, even after the merger with Sammy.)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

petrol blue posted:

I'm assuming they'll use second screen aiming, like on the Link's Archery Range minigame? I figured it was basically a 'look what the next zelda game will have' thing.

Oh dear god please no more motion controls and no more voice controls. You have plenty of buttons on your controller now, you don't need to substitute a button with waggling.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DarkSol posted:

The funny thing is, the Genesis/Megadrive sold more than the Super Nintendo in every market other than Japan.

With a 2 year headstart in North America (it was produced 1989-1999), the Genesis sold 25 million compared to the SNES' 23.35 million (which was only produced 1991-1999). But the fair comparison would probably include however many NESes were sold between the Genesis and SNES launches, which was a lot of them - not to mention that Genesis has its reputation as the loser due to the fact that by 1993 the SNES was pulling ahead in yearly sales and continued to grow its lead there up until the systems were discontinued.

Remembering back to that time, a lot of people would simply remember the sales based on the last 6 years of availability, rather then the first 2 years where there was no SNES or the next 2 years where the SNES was selling behind.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

DS versions of zelda have never been bad. Its the consoles that have always sucked since post Majora/Wind.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Al Borland posted:

DS versions of zelda have never been bad. Its the consoles that have always sucked since post Majora/Wind.

The 2 DS ones where loving terrible.

Granted a big part of that was the horrendous controls, but even without them they still made some poor choices with the dungeons and such.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Al Borland posted:

Spirit Tracks is my pick for The Worst Zelda so no, and Phantom Hourglass wasn't exactly great.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Yeah I didn't care for either of the DS Zeldas and I just got through them just so I could beat every Zelda. I think Link's Awakening is still the best portable Zelda.

Larry Horseplay
Oct 24, 2002

Nah, Oracle of Ages/Seasons. Even though IIRC they were actually done by Capcom.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Larry Horseplay posted:

Nah, Oracle of Ages/Seasons. Even though IIRC they were actually done by Capcom.

They were confusing as hell to 100% because I still can't get a clear answer on the continuity.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Al Borland posted:

I really didn't like Phantom Hourglass. gently caress that Temple of the Ocean King. Yes, if you could get hang of it, you could bypass it in no time. I never did. It was just a boring slog.
And Spirit Tracks never really impressed me, either. In fact, those two games are the reason I never bought Skyward Sword (that, and that would mean getting a Wii Motion Plus, which I never saw the idea in doing). The games almost killed what love I had for Zelda, which was no mean feat.

Now, make me a sequel to Link's Awakening, and my interest might be aroused.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Uh-oh

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Where are the numbers from on that? Because I'm pretty sure Super Mario 64 and Sunshine each sold quite a bit more than 2 million units.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Astro Nut posted:

Where are the numbers from on that? Because I'm pretty sure Super Mario 64 and Sunshine each sold quite a bit more than 2 million units.

Sam Kennedy

https://twitter.com/capnsmak/status/405727141498589184/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm not saying that number is wrong but the actual numbers for everything there that isn't SM3DW are completely suspect and exact-to-number sales numbers are pretty suspicious one week out.

• Locked thread