Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Many people ITT have been playing since Gen 4 or Gen 3. So it'd be really easy to have so many Pokemon that you wouldn't have enough space in your X PC or Y PC.

I'm sure a lot of us here are already running out of space in the Kalos PC from breeding projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Okay, I don't really get what a "dual screen" tactic is, and Google is giving me nothing but the "best users." What exactly is that?

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

PSWII60 posted:

Yeah, I got ya. FC is 1375-8302-1020 IGN is Andy

Alright I added you, thanks! Sorry it took so long but I got called into work and then zonked out afterwards.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Light Screen and Reflect, halve special and physical damage taken by your team respectively, and last 5 turns.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Militree posted:

Okay, I don't really get what a "dual screen" tactic is, and Google is giving me nothing but the "best users." What exactly is that?

A Pokemon with the moves Light Screen and Reflect, which halve special and physical damage respectively. They usually hold the item Light Clay, to make the effects last 8 turns.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kurieg posted:

Light Screen and Reflect, halve special and physical damage taken by your team respectively, and last 5 turns.

8 if you've got your dual screen user holding a Light Clay!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Militree posted:

It's having a pokemon hold light clay and carry the moves Light Screen and Reflect, which are field effects that raise SpDef and Defense respectively, last 5 or 8 turns depending on whether or not the user held Light Clay, and can only be gotten rid of by an opposing pokemon using Brick Break or Defog. They were pretty awkward in Gen III and maybe Gen IV when Brick Break was a lot more common but now there not as many sets carry Brick Break so dual screening is a good way to get more time for a sweeper/support to set up or get more breathing room against other sweepers.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 26, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The e:f;b is strong in this thread.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Militree posted:

It means using a pokemon that originated on a "dual screen" handheld console such as the Nintendo DS/DS lite/DSi/DSi XL or Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL or Nintendo 2DS.

Dual screens are one of the biggest advantages of cartridge based competitive play compared to simulators.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Defog also removes screens, which makes it pretty fantastic against Hyper Offense in general since it also removes hazards.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WrightOfWay posted:

Defog also removes screens, which makes it pretty fantastic against Hyper Offense in general since it also removes hazards.

Brick Break also removes screens.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

DizzyBum posted:

Was considering one of these, yeah. I'd probably go with Musharna in doubles since I'd like it to be able to take hits.

Mr. Mime also gets Quick Guard and could potentially be a useful sub, since apparently Quick Guard now blocks Prankster and Gale Wings moves and can be used consecutively without failing.

I'm also thinking of using something with Imprison & Protect to gently caress with peoples' teams. Musharna gets those too, but so does Gardevoir, who has Telepathy as a hidden ability while not in its Mega form.

I think a Klefki would be a good addition to this team. It's typing resist Boomburst at the worst scenario, plus with Prankster on it you can cause some real havoc along side the other mons. It can learn Protect/Imprison/Toxic/Foul Play. Foul Play will be nice for those ghost that otherwise would laugh at Boomburst.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It means using a pokemon that originated on a "dual screen" handheld console such as the Nintendo DS/DS lite/DSi/DSi XL or Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL or Nintendo 2DS.

Dual screens are one of the biggest advantages of cartridge based competitive play compared to simulators.

:golfclap:

Well played, sir. Especially when you consider that Light Clay was added in Gen IV :3:

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Thanks!

So I'm starting to play around with doubles, and I had this idea:

Lead with Magic Bounce Espeon that has a Focus Sash. Calm Mind, then Baton Pass onto a soundproof Choice Scarf Exploud.

The Exploud is rocking next to a Pixelate Sylveon with Magic Swap. The Sylveon uses magic swap to get soundproof from Exploud and give him Pixelate. Now, Exploud uses Boomburst to hit for super fairy damage that Sylveon ignores.

How viable do you think this strategy is?

You could also run with an Abomasnow for support.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

WrightOfWay posted:

It's actually really important that Gengar has perfect HP and Defense. It allows Gengar to be 2HKOed by Band Azumarill Aqua Jet, Mamoswine Ice Shard, Mega Lucario Bullet Punch and Specially Defensive Tyranitar Pursuit if you don't switch out. In Mega form Gengar avoids getting OHKOed by +Attack Aegislash Shadow Sneak without a boosting item and Band Scizor Bullet Punch.

Don't know where these damage casks are from, but Gengar avoids a OHKO from all of these assuming his IV's are above a 12 with no EV investment. If the RNG is being a dick lenoon and the best it's giving you is a 24 in Def or something like that, don't stress yourself out over it. The odds of you losing a match over 6 IV's is very unlikely.

EDIT: That said, it is easier to re-breed for a 31 than to check IV's in this game unless you have the instacheck set up.

EGSunBro posted:

Alright I added you, thanks! Sorry it took so long but I got called into work and then zonked out afterwards.

It's cool I'll be home from work at 940 EST, I'll check then.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 26, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Unbound posted:

I think a Klefki would be a good addition to this team. It's typing resist Boomburst at the worst scenario, plus with Prankster on it you can cause some real havoc along side the other mons. It can learn Protect/Imprison/Toxic/Foul Play. Foul Play will be nice for those ghost that otherwise would laugh at Boomburst.

Exploud can have the Scrappy ability, which removes Ghost's immunity to his Normal type attacks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Militree posted:

Now, Exploud uses Boomburst to hit for super fairy damage that Sylveon ignores.
However, Exploud also loses STAB, which is the whole reason you use him. STAB on a 140 BP attack is what makes his only-okay SpAtk worth using.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Leper Colon V posted:

However, Exploud also loses STAB, which is the whole reason you use him. STAB on a 140 BP attack is what makes his only-okay SpAtk worth using.

What?

No you don't, I have no idea where you heard something like that.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Dr Pepper posted:

What?

No in this case it would lose STAB since pixilate changes the move typing to fairy. But it would still get the 30% boost from pixilate.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Dr Pepper posted:

What?

If Sylveon gives Exploud Pixelate via Magic Swap then it's normal type moves changed to Fairy wouldn't be STAB, right?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Militree posted:

Thanks!

So I'm starting to play around with doubles, and I had this idea:

Lead with Magic Bounce Espeon that has a Focus Sash. Calm Mind, then Baton Pass onto a soundproof Choice Scarf Exploud.

The Exploud is rocking next to a Pixelate Sylveon with Magic Swap. The Sylveon uses magic swap to get soundproof from Exploud and give him Pixelate. Now, Exploud uses Boomburst to hit for super fairy damage that Sylveon ignores.

How viable do you think this strategy is?

Not very.

Baton pass is a complete joke in doubles since you're opening yourself up to double targeting and wasting multiple turns.

Also if your strategy requires skill swap to work it's probably not a good one. A more efficient setup would be to pair a Scrappy Exploud (scrappy lets normal attacks hit ghosts) with a telepathy user or a bulky steel or rock type that can shrug off the damage.

DizzyBum posted:

Was considering one of these, yeah. I'd probably go with Musharna in doubles since I'd like it to be able to take hits.

Mr. Mime also gets Quick Guard and could potentially be a useful sub, since apparently Quick Guard now blocks Prankster and Gale Wings moves and can be used consecutively without failing.

I'm also thinking of using something with Imprison & Protect to gently caress with peoples' teams. Musharna gets those too, but so does Gardevoir, who has Telepathy as a hidden ability while not in its Mega form.
This guy has the right idea.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Gotcha. So something like Trick room with Rhyperior and Exploud would be a better setup? From what I know Trick room has much more utility in doubles.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
KSVW-WWWW-WWW3-AJWL

I don't even know what to say... Trying to get cute with Sleep Powder I guess? :psyduck:

Thank you pokegods Arceus.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Neo_Crimson posted:

Well for one thing, Pokebank makes starting a new game without losing everything really, really, easy.

Apparently you can't trade Pokes holding items, so there's that.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Militree posted:

Gotcha. So something like Trick room with Rhyperior and Exploud would be a better setup? From what I know Trick room has much more utility in doubles.

I think eviolite rhydon is better since he's bulkier overall and can still use the lightningrod ability, which is nice to have in doubles since it protects the other pokemon from electric moves, especially thunder wave. Now sure someone here's thinking "but what about rhyperior with solid rock holding an assault vest? Ultimate wall! :getin: " but the problem with that setup is that assault vest pokemon can't use protect.

Anyway, trick room is one of the most viable setup strategies in doubles, but you can't be too reliant on it either, since it's only temporary and there are still plenty of ways to stop it from getting up in the first place, so be sure to have a backup plan. It's usually a good idea to include a fast pokemon or two, as well as pokemon with priority attacks that can function both in and out of trick room.

Also,

quote:

Magic Swap.

It's called skill swap for a reason, it takes ~skill~ to use *knocks pile of text books out of your hands* *adjusts letterman jacket* Smell ya later, loser!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Murkrow is too strong :smugbird:

ME3W-WWWW-WWW3-ALLZ

This is such a dumb fight.

VVVV IVs aren't nearly as hard to breed for as they used to be. The only thing you need is spare time to hatch eggs. The actual method of getting perfect IVs is pretty simple now and you can just hatch eggs while watching TV or something.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 27, 2013

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Am I gonna lose every fight with everyone if I play with UU pokemon and don't have perfect IVs on my dudes? I feel like I have the patience for egg-move breeding and nature breeding but IVs seem pretty daunting.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Am I gonna lose every fight with everyone if I play with UU pokemon and don't have perfect IVs on my dudes? I feel like I have the patience for egg-move breeding and nature breeding but IVs seem pretty daunting.

Tiering has nothing to do with wanting to get stats as good as possible.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Militree posted:

Trick Room is amazing in doubles, just have a back up plan for when you can't get it up like Sebado Gigante said. I tried a Rhyperior on mine and he seemed to be a huge liability. So maybe take Sebado's advice and try Eviolite Rhyhorn for a bit and see how he feels. All you really lose is Rhyperior doing the Shooter McGavin pose when it attacks.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Running around trying to get Moltres sightings is making me miss being able to register Pokedex pages. :(

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
:pcgaming:

Just got this after 14 (!!) eggs, has 31s in speed and sp atk thank christ

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

EGSunBro your safari is fighting type with Pancham/Hariyama/Meditite.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

PSWII60 posted:

EGSunBro your safari is fighting type with Pancham/Hariyama/Meditite.

Thanks! I'm pumped about having Panchams, those little dudes are awesome.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

EGSunBro posted:

Thanks! I'm pumped about having Panchams, those little dudes are awesome.

Poe the Pancham/Pangoro was a huge help in the main game, I really should breed a competitive one. Is Mold Breaker or Iron Fist better?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

PSWII60 posted:

Is Mold Breaker or Iron Fist better?

Iron Fist is probably more useful, although there aren't that many punching moves that Pangoro can learn. Power-Up Punch is great on it though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Iron Fist is probably more useful, although there aren't that many punching moves that Pangoro can learn. Power-Up Punch is great on it though.

Mold Breaker is great for earthquaking sturdy hordes and levitating jerks though. Pangoro better get some punches from the move tutor in Z.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 27, 2013

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I can't name a Rhyhorn :killdozer: goddammit Gamefreak! :argh:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'm so mad at the fact Rhyperior exists because it means I can't keep this nickname of RhyDon King.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Neo_Crimson posted:

I can't name a Rhyhorn :killdozer: goddammit Gamefreak! :argh:

Use capital i instead of lowercase l.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

TTBF posted:

Use capital i instead of lowercase l.

Yeah but that looks weird, so I'll just name it Granby after the town that got killdozed.

• Locked thread