Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
Also, they broke IE8 emulation. If I run one of my websites in IE11 on IE8 document mode, I get a bunch of JavaScript errors. However, if I boot up my Win7 VM running IE8 the site runs perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Merkinman posted:

Even Microsoft is on the whole "stop writing <!--[if IE]> poo poo and develop standards" mentality. The browser option never worked 100% anyway and you were always better with running an actual instance of the browser, even in a VM

Oh I agree, and I've actually been doing just that for most of my IE testing. But I have to admit, the browser mode was nice for a quick check now and then.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
What would happen if Microsoft just stopped making a web browser? What do they gain from it, anymore? I mean gently caress, guys, if you can't build it right just copy what the other guys are doing, jesus.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski
What's so bad about IE nowadays?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Mostly the developer tools as far as I can tell. And residual hate.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

A MIRACLE posted:

And residual hate.

It's not residual when the old versions refuse to die because Microsoft won't backport the new versions to the old OSs. I still see several hundred variations on Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6% in our logging database for this very month.

I have no idea what Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; AOL 6.0; Windows 98) saw, but it looks like he didn't come back, so :thumbsup:

Edit: Actually, based on the number of these poor bastards that are still on SP1, I doubt they would have the new versions installed, anyway, so gently caress 'em.

Edit 2: I should point out that the % is the SQL wildcard, not 6% IE 6 or something. I just wanted to point out that they're out there and they want your spicy pages.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 22, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I wish Microsoft would just develop something to replace Chrome Frame, but I know they won't because there's no real benefit to them assist users lingering on antiquated systems/browsers.

But seriously the numbers for most sites I monitor these days are way, way in favor of the newer versions (or other browsers), so I don't really care much about IE 6 - 8 these days. Sucks if you're working projects that do care, coding is so much more pleasurable these days than it was five or six years ago. Just checked one site's analytics today, lte IE 8 accounted for a little less than 5% of traffic thus they're ignored.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Munkeymon posted:

It's not residual when the old versions refuse to die because Microsoft won't backport the new versions to the old OSs. I still see several hundred variations on Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6% in our logging database for this very month.

I have no idea what Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; AOL 6.0; Windows 98) saw, but it looks like he didn't come back, so :thumbsup:

Edit: Actually, based on the number of these poor bastards that are still on SP1, I doubt they would have the new versions installed, anyway, so gently caress 'em.

Edit 2: I should point out that the % is the SQL wildcard, not 6% IE 6 or something. I just wanted to point out that they're out there and they want your spicy pages.
Can't really blame Microsoft for people who won't even upgrade to IE8 on XP. If they were on 8 and you wished they were on 9+ you'd have an argument.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

a lovely poster posted:

What's so bad about IE nowadays?
The newer versions aren't so bad, but it's hard to let go of the hate when I'm still supporting IE8, and that motherfucker can't do anything I want it to. Hell, I was still supporting IE7 up til a year ago. Once we drop IE8 my blood pressure will drop 20 points.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
When IE8 finally drops off the map, IE9 will be the black sheep because of everything it doesn't support in the future.

The problem isn't just IE, it's the people that cling to their old browser versions.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Zurb just released version 5 of Foundation, it dropped support for IE8 completely. So many people complaining.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

Bognar posted:

When IE8 finally drops off the map, IE9 will be the black sheep because of everything it doesn't support in the future.

The problem isn't just IE, it's the people that cling to their old browser versions.

It's also the fact that MS made it very difficult (impossible, in many cases) for them to upgrade without also buying a new OS version.

I'd like to see the default Windows HTML-reliant functions branched off and separated from MS's browser, so that they can finally get the thing on a fast update cycle.

Chron
Dec 24, 2000

Forum Absurdist

A MIRACLE posted:

Mostly the developer tools as far as I can tell. And residual hate.

Right? What the gently caress is with the new UI in Win8? That's a piece of crap.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

I understand that, I was hoping someone might share what they found to be great among the new features of Bootstrap3 etc.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
If Foundation is the "best" responsive framework why are its breakpoints in pixels? Isn't that (and the notion of "phone" "tablet" "desktop" versions) flawed nowadays?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

The Merkinman posted:

If Foundation is the "best" responsive framework why are its breakpoints in pixels? Isn't that (and the notion of "phone" "tablet" "desktop" versions) flawed nowadays?

It doesn't use pixels for breakpoints. The older versions may, but 5 certainly does not.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

It doesn't use pixels for breakpoints. The older versions may, but 5 certainly does not.
5? Jeez I just looked at it not too long ago and it was 4. I guess I have some reading to do.
EDIT: still seeing pixels in things like Interchange. Can't see breakpoints right now as I'm on my phone.

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 23, 2013

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

The Merkinman posted:

5? Jeez I just looked at it not too long ago and it was 4. I guess I have some reading to do.
EDIT: still seeing pixels in things like Interchange. Can't see breakpoints right now as I'm on my phone.

A lot of the px you see are generated with rem and em calc functions. 5still has a few bugs buy so far I'm liking it.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Not sure if anyone could help me here, my company makes a software product that we'd like to register the domain for (under .com.au, not .com if that matters). Currently we own a domain name for our company name, but not our product's name. The product name is a registered trademark and has been for over a decade. We've found that the domain name is already registered but simply points to a blank page - we suspect this might be our competition hogging the domain name but we really have no idea, nor does it really matter I suppose.

The question is whether there is anything at all that we can do get the domain name? I have already contacted the registrar to ask if they can put us in touch with the actual owners (as the WHOIS details are useless) or what the options are, but I thought I'd ask here in case anyone has any other suggestions in the meantime? Anyone else been through a similar situation? Is there a better thread I should ask in?

It may be that we're poo poo out of luck, which is okay, but I've been tasked with investigating it so I have to at least try.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

A .com.au domain must have a strong relationship to a registered business that you own, so it isn't possible to squat domains.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Mister Chief posted:

A .com.au domain must have a strong relationship to a registered business that you own, so it isn't possible to squat domains.

Excellent news, so my contact with the registrar may bear fruit?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Here are the rules:

quote:

SCHEDULE C

ELIGIBILITY AND ALLOCATION RULES FOR COM.AU

The com.au 2LD is for commercial purposes.

The following rules are to be read in conjunction with the Eligibility and Allocation Rules for All Open 2LDs, contained in Schedule A of this document.

1. To be eligible for a domain name in the com.au 2LD, registrants must be:

a) an Australian registered company; or

b) trading under a registered business name in any Australian State or Territory; or

c) an Australian partnership or sole trader;

d) a foreign company licensed to trade in Australia; or

e) an owner of an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or

f) an applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark ; or

g) an association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory; or

h) an Australian commercial statutory body.

2. Domain names in the com.au 2LD must:

a) exactly match, acronym or abbreviation of the registrant’s company or trading name, organization or association name or trademark; or:

b) be otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've been thinking that I might just stick with web dev after all. It makes the most sense to me compared to everything else. Thing is, though, I don't really know what to do next. What should I learn to really make myself competitive? I know the very basics and I can at least deploy a rudimentary website onto Heroku, but the next steps to take kind of escape me.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pollyanna posted:

I've been thinking that I might just stick with web dev after all. It makes the most sense to me compared to everything else. Thing is, though, I don't really know what to do next. What should I learn to really make myself competitive? I know the very basics and I can at least deploy a rudimentary website onto Heroku, but the next steps to take kind of escape me.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Make something. Think of something you like and make a web app dealing with that.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Thermopyle posted:

Make something. Think of something you like and make a web app dealing with that.

Yep, I've posted this before, but may as well repeat it. I started from scratch 2 years ago, and I decided to build a thing I gave a poo poo about whilst being a full time daddy day care. (solving a problem from my previous industry)

Now I'm a fulltime contractor, I work on my own projects but also have more than enough work through my front end and back end dev experience to support my family.

Once you're well on your way and building the thing you want, start getting involved in the local community if you can, dev meetups, coworking, whatever you can make work for you. This is for two reasons, you'll learn heaps by sharing what you've done, including communicating the work which is a CRITICAL skill if you want to get paid for this. Secondly, you'll be making contacts who will potentially turn into or lead you to potential employers.

If I had done the second part sooner I would've grown as a developer much quicker. Don't be afraid of showing your work even at early stages because the only way to improve and stop bad habits setting in is to seek effective feedback.

Tldr: go make some poo poo and talk about it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm beginning work as a freelance web designer, and I've decided to give my clients the option to have a CMS. Now I'm trying to decide which platform to teach myself and use. I'm debating between Wordpress and Drupal. My main requirement is the ability to create completely unique, non cookie-cutter websites. My other main requirement is ease of content management for the client. Which do you guys suggest?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
A CMS is for the builder, not the buyer. Meaning, all the fancy stuff will not be used; you've got a pretty involved client if s/he does anything more than adding images and text. The only question from the client's point of view you have to ask youself if it's easy enough to do that. (P.S. don't tell them this)

So that leaves the technical aspect. I have no experience with either, but a cursory glance gives me the impression that they are comparable?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Oh My Science posted:

A lot of the px you see are generated with rem and em calc functions. 5still has a few bugs buy so far I'm liking it.

I've started using 5 for my new personal site and love it. Really glad they added medium intervals. Don't care about IE8 since most places I'm applying to job wise are advertising agencies...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

caiman posted:

I'm beginning work as a freelance web designer, and I've decided to give my clients the option to have a CMS. Now I'm trying to decide which platform to teach myself and use. I'm debating between Wordpress and Drupal. My main requirement is the ability to create completely unique, non cookie-cutter websites. My other main requirement is ease of content management for the client. Which do you guys suggest?

If you have to pick one, pick Wordpress. It's less awful and is impossibly popular.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So I guess my next question would be, how crappy is it to develop in Wordpress for someone who very much enjoys working with plain old HTML/CSS/JS/PHP? I like typing everything by hand, and I need 100% control over the CSS. Will working in Wordpress be a constant fight for me?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

caiman posted:

So I guess my next question would be, how crappy is it to develop in Wordpress for someone who very much enjoys working with plain old HTML/CSS/JS/PHP? I like typing everything by hand, and I need 100% control over the CSS. Will working in Wordpress be a constant fight for me?

Not at all. WordPress is an extremely flexible platform, and you have as much or as little control as you'd like over literally everything. This includes the HTML/CSS/JS/PHP.

Start with a blank theme (there are tons of good ones... just Google around until you find one that works for you), and go from there.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

The folks over in the Wordpress thread are extremely helpful, too. They're helped me out of a few jams before, when I've gotten in over my head.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Good to hear. Sounds like Wordpress has matured quite a bit.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

It's such standard advice, but it really is soooo helpful. You can feel very familiar with these technologies, but until you actually knockout a CMS or a forum or something, you'll never see how it all fits together until you do, or "oh, I guess I was kinda lacking in my SQL". Even if it's something a million people have done, it's so worth it to do it yourself.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

ManoliIsFat posted:

It's such standard advice, but it really is soooo helpful. You can feel very familiar with these technologies, but until you actually knockout a CMS or a forum or something, you'll never see how it all fits together until you do, or "oh, I guess I was kinda lacking in my SQL". Even if it's something a million people have done, it's so worth it to do it yourself.

This is incredibly true. I went from barely understanding CSS (my university's web design class was basically dreamweaver, slices, and tables in 2009) to being somewhat versed in it, and learning some PHP and jQuery as well by deciding to jump in the deep and and make my own responsive Wordpress theme. Granted, I had to lean heavily on Bootstrap as I got started but just making something is the absolute best way to learn.

That and lurking these threads. Even if I don't understand half of what you guys are talking about.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I just found out that setting my wrapper as a relative position and then all of the contained divs as absolute makes everything so much loving easier to arrange and stops it bouncing around all over the place when the menu is bigger on one page or there's a blog post that extends the div further than on other pages.

I know this is probably common knowledge, but i've been battling with containers flying all over the place when I make an update for like a week now. :aaa:

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Cthulhuite posted:

I just found out that setting my wrapper as a relative position and then all of the contained divs as absolute makes everything so much loving easier to arrange and stops it bouncing around all over the place when the menu is bigger on one page or there's a blog post that extends the div further than on other pages.

Be careful, although it is perfectly fine to use absolutely positioned elements, the property removes elements from the document flow and can be a hassle to maintain if the content is dynamic. Grids can help you position elements, although your case may be unique and require absolute, who knows.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Oh My Science posted:

Be careful, although it is perfectly fine to use absolutely positioned elements, the property removes elements from the document flow and can be a hassle to maintain if the content is dynamic. Grids can help you position elements, although your case may be unique and require absolute, who knows.

This is all very true. When I was first starting out I relied way too heavily on position: absolute, and it made my life hell as soon as I wanted the page to expand nicely when content is added.

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

kedo posted:

Not at all. WordPress is an extremely flexible platform, and you have as much or as little control as you'd like over literally everything. This includes the HTML/CSS/JS/PHP.

Start with a blank theme (there are tons of good ones... just Google around until you find one that works for you), and go from there.

Underscores is wonderful if you want the absolute literal bare-bones minimum theme. Bones is also great if you want something a little more fleshed out. That can be both a blessing and a curse. I've used it several times, but for my next Wordpress site I'll probably just nab the stuff that I like out of Bones and plug it into Underscores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thermopyle and everyone else posted:

I certainly learned a lot by tinkering around by myself, yeah. But there's a point where I need structure to get any farther. I just don't have very good self-discipline, sense of structure or executive functions :( Even something easy like "I want you to make me this" from someone else is enough to get me going. There's only so much I need, and I've never been the type to really want for much.

That's why I keep bugging for advice, I keep running into this wall. I suppose the best thing I can do is offer my services for anyone who needs it.

Anyway...I suppose I'll start on another project idea I had: a simple game written in Javascript. JS has graphics libraries, doesn't it? Problem solved.