Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BrooklynBruiser posted:

You're broken inside.

The problem with describing a movie as "all style, no substance" is that it only works if the movie actually has style to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
It's probably been posted already, but arriving today is the series Box Set of Breaking Bad. I normally don't care about unboxing videos- but this one has Vince Gilligan himself doing the honours!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52lcd8Trxo4

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I need audiobooks narrated by Vince Gilligan in my life. :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if he ever has a moment of introspection where he's like, "man, I am good at TV".

Also, that is a really fantastic boxed set.

Here's a shot of the contents all taken out with the disc holder images assembled:
http://i.imgur.com/9YoLIk1.jpg

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 27, 2013

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

zoux posted:

I wonder if he ever has a moment of introspection where he's like, "man, I am good at TV".

Is it hyperbole to say he's the most humble TV showrunner in history?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainHollywood posted:

Is it hyperbole to say he's the most humble TV showrunner in history?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjfHn-vkpUI

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The problem with describing a movie as "all style, no substance" is that it only works if the movie actually has style to begin with.

Machete Kills was a fine comedy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Machete Kills was good, but it sort of outstayed the welcome built up by the first one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Machete Kills was a hilariously fun time at the movies and it makes me sad that since it didn't even make its budget back, we probably won't be getting Machete Kills....IN SPACE! :(

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

What thread do I go to to complain about the fact that i.TV just absolutely killed GetGlue.com by all of a sudden removing the physical stickers aspect of it? (AKA the entire point of the site) :argh:

(I assume this thread will do.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 27, 2013

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

thexerox123 posted:

What thread do I go to to complain about the fact that i.TV just absolutely killed GetGlue.com by all of a sudden removing the physical stickers aspect of it? (AKA the entire point of the site) :argh:

(I assume this thread will do.)

YES I am so mad! I want my useless TV show stickers! :argh:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Seems like you guys are in a sticky situation.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thexerox123 posted:

I don't know what any of these words mean.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Stickers rule.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Well, there used to be a website that made tv-themed stickers for your trapper keeper and now there isn't.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

Whew. I thought it was just me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Are those stickers the TV nerd equivalant of buying anime dolls?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Davincie posted:

Are those stickers the TV nerd equivalant of buying anime dolls?

Nah, they were free. You just had to check-in during shows/movies you were (ostensibly) watching to get them, and then you could order a sheet of 20 per month at no cost.

They were definitely silly and useless, no doubt about that, but GetGlue without the actual stickers is just... pointless.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I continue my ABC Family drama stint with the secret life american teen one.

Ugh. I'm struggling to identify who is The Worst. Aside from the atrocious acting, every character in it seems to want to outdo each other in the insufferableness department and every time I decide one of them is The Worst another one tops it. I know it's teenagers and all, but other shows e.g. Freaks n Geeks, FNL etc didn't have this problem. I physically cringe and look away from the screen at least 3 times an episode yet I cannot stop watching. It's like a case study in poor TV characterisation. I doubt I'll get through all the seasons but I'm going to try my best because yes, I hate myself.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Try MTV's Awkward. It's funny and a real shame it's on MTV.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Nevermind

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I like Awkward but I'm not all caught up. They were going for insufferable characters though, and did a good job of making that the comedy, whereas I get the feeling in TSLOTAT (sorry) a lot of the characters are meant to be sympathetic, and they are absolutely not, at least to me. I could be wrong though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
In tangential tv news: Firewall and Iceberg just did their first video podcast and although I'm sure its no surprise to anybody, it turns out that they're both overweight neckbeards.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Dan Harmon's Rick & Morty is debuting on Adult Swim on Dec 2. The pilot has been leaked online & it is GLORIOUS.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/11/watch-full-pilot-dan-harmons-new-adult-swim-show-rick-morty/

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

In tangential tv news: Firewall and Iceberg just did their first video podcast and although I'm sure its no surprise to anybody, it turns out that they're both overweight neckbeards.
Sepinwall was still better dressed than 99% of people in this thread.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

ufarn posted:

Sepinwall was still better dressed than 99% of people in this thread.

What are you talking about I'm wearing my dressing gown.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Irish Joe posted:

They also can't even manage to make a basic camera set up look decent, and its taken them months to organise what is a glorified webcam version of their podcast.

Sepinwall also continues to grow more insufferable and puts out less reviews than ever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dead Snoopy posted:

Dan Harmon's Rick & Morty is debuting on Adult Swim on Dec 2. The pilot has been leaked online & it is GLORIOUS.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/11/watch-full-pilot-dan-harmons-new-adult-swim-show-rick-morty/

Leaked? Adult Swim posted it on their Youtube page.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
can't you just enjoy it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Dead Snoopy posted:

can't you just enjoy it?

That might as well be the TVIV motto. I've no idea who this is aimed at. (Probably me)

ufarn
May 30, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

They also can't even manage to make a basic camera set up look decent, and its taken them months to organise what is a glorified webcam version of their podcast.

Sepinwall also continues to grow more insufferable and puts out less reviews than ever.
Considering this whole week of Korra, his TV show apologia is what I really dislike about his reviewing style.

He tends to be quite good at reviewing great shows, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I already watched it.

Anyway, it's good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ufarn posted:

Considering this whole week of Korra, his TV show apologia is what I really dislike about his reviewing style.

He tends to be quite good at reviewing great shows, though.

Do you mean the Korra thread?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I don't find him to be as insightful as he used to be. When I binged Mad Men I'd read his reviews right after each episode and I noticed a steady decline in the number of things in each review he points out that I hadn't picked up on as the years went by. Whether that's actually him getting worse or just me getting better at watching Mad Men through the concentrated practise binging gives, I can't say.

Edit: What went wrong with Korra?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cactus posted:

What are you talking about I'm wearing my dressing gown.

I didn't show up with pants, and I'm not leaving with pants!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cactus posted:

I don't find him to be as insightful as he used to be. When I binged Mad Men I'd read his reviews right after each episode and I noticed a steady decline in the number of things in each review he points out that I hadn't picked up on as the years went by. Whether that's actually him getting worse or just me getting better at watching Mad Men through the concentrated practise binging gives, I can't say.

I noticed this too. In fact his Mad Men reviews are how I first started following him. At first I wasn't sure if it was just the show growing more blatant and less sub-textual with it's movement towards the 70's but Tom and Lorenzo prove theirs plenty to mine still. Oh well.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you mean the Korra thread?
Yup. Some people, y'know, really want to defend the show. Even though it's pretty awful.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ufarn posted:

Yup. Some people, y'know, really want to defend the show. Even though it's pretty awful.

I love the show but it's honestly not worth defending.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ufarn posted:

Yup. Some people, y'know, really want to defend the show. Even though it's clearly awful.

I don't know if it's Korra or Doctor Who that earned me this AV, but I actually kind of like Sesame Street more than the recent output of either so gently caress it, I'm good.

The Korra thread really did turn into a poo poo hole though, which is why I'm going to make the thread for Book Three and hope it tones down the hyperbole of a certain someone.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

I love the show but it's honestly not worth defending.
It's in my guilty-pleasures collection of shows I watch, but it's definitely not ATLA. The drawing and animation in the first book was also amazing with Lin's now-famous back-and-forth with Korra standing out.

• Locked thread